Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by GarfunkeL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    all you need for your city to thrive is a killbox, a long corridor leading to your gate with harpoons on both sides. 3-4 t2 basic harpoons on each side with ai set on shoot on sight is enough to handle everything vanilla can throw at you. tier 2 walls are enough, as long as you have a gate walls will never be touched. which is silly, my next outpost shall have no proper killbox but an organized buildings structure and turrets on top, so that doors will be shut and every building will provide fire cover. makes more sense and could even work better. i still have to check if turrets can shoot through not-t4 gate, but i guess not. after all if you want to invite traders and such you have to keep the gate open, with enough npc population (maybe boosted by a mod or two) you might not need defenses on foot at all.

^ Top  
  2. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Any way to upgrade your bread oven to make it cook quicker? Is there an upgraded oven or some way to increase its speed?

^ Top  
  3. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Dust Raider fighting (open)

After heavy recruiting I started farming fighting Dust Raiders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shek Talk (open)

Some conversations of my Shek's (a warrior race). I love em!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How to raise crossbow skills (open)

Fight heavily armored enemies, they can eat up tons of bolts from your Toothpicks, eventually with higher skills they fire insanely fast and you level up the crossbow skill, precision skill, dexterity and perception really quickly. Bring an inventory and backpacks full of bolts, as in these areas neither Toothpicks drop nor are they available in great amounts in shops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20+ Security Spiders (open)

It is crazy the 20+ skeleton muscles I looted from them was worth more than what I found inside (20x2000 cats), I did find another Edgewalkers Type 3 weapon, it was an Iron Stick :argh:.
    [​IMG]

Beak Things (open)

They are a good source of income, that is hunting for their Egg's.
    [​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I haven’t had a chance to play since the start of 2019, work and life.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tovias Educated

Tovias
    With an army of that size you might as well pay the Southern Hive a visit

^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The game unfortunately requires a fair bit of grinding to improve your squad from the point where you can raid ancient ruins to the point where you can defeat the game's tougher enemies (in melee combat; ranged weapons allow you to kill almost anything much earlier). It sounds as though you've reach this point, if you have combat stats in the 20s and have started to raid ancient ruins. There have been various tips in this thread about good locations for grinding combat (and other) stats.

In unrelated news, it turns out that leviathans drop a Leviathan Pearl worth 12000 coins, but I felt so sorry about it afterwards that I reloaded. :M

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    I have encountered them but they go down to quickly. I think I will keep hunting Skeleton Bandits and Reavers, until I get strong enough to take down the Bugmaster, ally Shel Kingdom and bring down the Holy Nation.

^ Top  
  8. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Fucking hell.

I restart after finally getting the old hang of editing the games .mod files from my ETW days to tone down the OP Holy Sword mod I got as well as to allow a Skellie start with it.

Started in Bast while it's invaded in a three way war between cannibals, UC Samurai guards and Holy Nation folks. I help out to work some of my stats up, especially the negative ones and get banged up in the process. I make a save and then head off towards World's End working up sneaking only to realize something: My chest HP are slowly going down, says I have a critical wound... on a robot? Anyway, it's too late and I bleed out, so reload and head for Stoat, being the closest place only to find it doesn't have a repair shop there, so reload again and head for World's End once more.

Shit comes down to a hair. I get to the entrance with enough HP left to run and sell some gear I grabbed at Bast and then buy a repair kit, only it's too slow and I pass out dying before I can repair my fucking chest wound. So I reload and have to do it a few times simply because there's no time left to get from selling the gear to the repair bed before passing out randomly bumping into NPCs in my way, but I finally do it. Taking forever to heal the wound now, but at least the HP are going up now...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:08 PM
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    That dialogue was fucking amazing.

^ Top  
  11. Ironmonk Learned

Ironmonk
    I guess not, and probably the current version of the mod may not work with the current version of Kenshi

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Well I made my first trip to The Deadlands today. That wasn't a pleasant place. Plenty of ruins and outposts there to loot, but tough guards. Sorry if this is spoiler-ish. The acid rain was killing me. Also, how do you make skeletons stop rebooting? Just beat them down enough like unconscious bandits until they stop for good?

^ Top  
  13. Lagole Gon Arcane

Lagole Gon
    Looks interesting.

Bro approved?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Hell yes it's interesting. It's almost my GOTY 2018, tied with Kingmaker. God-tier status survival RPG. I'm loving every second of it.

^ Top  
  15. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    A Dustcoat w/ 80% resistance and any real hat with resistance will fully counter the effects of the acid.

Rebooting is the game's version of coma and unconciousness for living beings. If you're sick of that, import your save and increase the rating of death, or whatever it's called, under the advanced options before reloading it. I think it's nominally set to 1. I increased it to around 2. The max is 4 or something. It's good not to fiddle with that until you're good to go in the game, as it also applies to your own guys making yourchances of death increase, not something you want starting off not simply to not die, but to increase stats beating ppl down over and over.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    If I have a team of 18 do you think it's fine to turn that setting to 2 then? Beastro

^ Top  
  17. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Oh yeah I had in mind like 6+. I found it a good balance between everyone dropping like flies and no one ever dying like the default is. Main thing is to have enough around to catch those with the "Dying" status in combat. When you're one, or a few guys that can end your game or result in you losing ppl too quickly to replace.

^ Top  
  18. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    So what number do you recommend I set it to exactly? And any other changes I should make? I have nest spawns at 1.2 but maybe I should raise that? Please be specific, no one in my game has died yet but I lost a few limbs, I wouldn't mind a bit of a harder challenge in that regard to make sure people *almost might die* or even die here or there. Just let me know which specific numbers to change. Thanks!

Also, some areas feel pretty empty, but I'm not sure if I should increase spawns anymore because 20% is still a lot. The Skimsands were rough with a lot of Skimmers already, not sure if I would want tons more...but I'll take your recommendation there, too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    ^ Top  
  19. Ironmonk Learned

Ironmonk
    if you want challenge, isn't it better for you to go for more dangerous zones instead of tweaking settings?

I recommend to check the crater at southwest part of the map, full of beak things :P

^ Top  
  20. Fluent Prophet Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    I just like having optimal settings for a more realistic and challenging experience. It's like setting sliders in basketball simulation games, I like to get them optimal and tweaks just right. :)

^ Top  
  21. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The same way you kill animals that have become unconscious from their injuries.

Show Spoiler
    Loot them and take/remove any item from their inventory. This will kill animals and permanently incapacitate skeletons/spiders. Doesn't work on humans and demi-humans, of course. IIRC, there are some skeletons where this doesn't work, because they only have weapons.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Got around to getting my team together.

Wanted to break Agnu out first, so grabbed the horde of bots to distract the army guarding him while I broke him out. Worked mroe than perfectly, they wiped everyone out, so I figured I'd loot the place and left carrying Ponk and Screamer for their bounties. That in addition to the Hold Sword and a Nodachi that I spawned with gives me 4 Meitou to start with.

Grabbed the rest of the bots, then Beep and headed off to do some adventuring. First, working up my crossbowing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    looking for more action, i put together a brand new team of scoundrels, good at nothing but wasting time and bringing trouble with them, which i promptly named "band of bothers", and settled right in the middle of blister hill and bad teeth, where the river forms a little lake. the lack of copper is severely annoying but the place is nice. and holy fuck, i had a triple raid, corpses everywhere, mounds, hills, mountains of corpses, and for this the game desperately begs for a "seen a corpse" malus as in rimworld: i want to let my aggressors know they're in a lot of trouble.
    anyway, as promised i built without killbox and i have to say it's totally NOT worth it.
    at first i left my walls on the lake open, waiting for swimming ducks, but the ai set on "fire on anything" just won't fire, then i built turrets on top of the buildings closest to the gate but then not all of them could fire through the gate and the friendly fire was devastating. so i built a watchtower right outside the gate but my own mercenaries keep attacking its door because they want in or out, and then once the door is open they don't move. mercenaries are cats.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ironmonk Learned

Ironmonk
    I just tested a good tactic to train my team.

I rebuilt an Old Stormhouse in The Hub, build some prison cells, a few beds and a skeleton repair bed... captured a Broken Skeleton and dropped him inside the Cell. With a few characters inside the house (I lock the door) and open the cell and fight the Broken Skeleton till he drops damaged, then I heal my team, put the Broken Skeleton into the repair bed and my team on normal beds, everybody heals, when the Broken Skeleton gets up and I order to attack him again... When I'm done I remove him from the bed seconds before he wakes up and put him inside his cell and finish repairing him manually (otherwise he might die, it seems).

It's pretty efficient. :cool:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zanzoken Erudite

Zanzoken
    Broken skeletons are the fastest and safest way to train your characters to be decent fighters. The fact that they don't take time to heal like humans do speeds things up a great deal.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)