Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Turjan

Arcane
It's nice that this thread exists to remind me that I last played this more than 6 years ago. It sounds as if much has been done in the meanwhile.

Azazel

Arbiter
There's some wild and crazy shit out there on the world map, as well. I feel sorry for people who never leave the starting desert, I haven't felt a similar "alien in an alien land" vibe since Morrowind, really, and it all reminds me of The Book of the New Sun in a fashion.

Good shit, good shit. Can't wait to see what the remaining third of the map has in it when it gets released.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel sorry for people who never leave the starting desert
I admit I did look up one spoiler to get me started. Since trying to grow anything in the starter desert seemed fuckin' impossible, I read threads on where people built their bases, picked a spot some guy recommended, clicked on the world map and my team started running. What ensued was an astonishing journey I didn't even talk about in my earlier posts because there's just too much to tell. This game world is truly and endlessly rich and fascinating.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I've decided to buy the game on a whim since it looks (and sounds) like a very interesting world with great gameplay.

I decided that my first playthrough would be a solo martial artist greenlander with the default start since I'm a sucker for Monks/Fisticuffs in RPGs aside from Spears.

And holy hell does this game make a point that you are not the "chosen one". My first thought was that I could beat a pack of malnourished bandits with superbly low stats, I was wrong. I was beaten unconscious and they stole my food.

I can now singlehandedly take on midlevel bandit patrols sometimes outright blowing their limbs off and sometimes putting a hole through their chest they die, grow my own farm, and imprison anyone that looks at me funny in the cages I've built inside my house. Game is awesome.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Welcome to Kenshi..

When i first started the game i stumbled in some holy nation paladins that were pretending me (because i had a female character) to bow and beg the mercy of Okran, of course they beating me unconscious and collared me dragging me in a large slave camp where people was forced to do manual labour almost starving to death, then with the time i managed to escape recruited plenty of mens and run my own city in the hub territory to then move in a long crusade of purging the holy nation. Now the holy nation city are a desert some merchant there and people passing by but paladins are now gone and once getting rid of the paladins assassinate the priests was easy.

I just beaten them unconscious and dragged them one by one close to some bone dogs that finished the job for me.

Emmanuel2

Savant
My character right now:

2zPXF9p.jpg

It's been a wild ride so far and I've seen a lot of weird/disturbing/unique shet now but still I feel like I barely scratched the surface as I've only travelled/frequented 1/4 of the map. Not gonna spoil anything but there are beautiful vistas all over the world, some uniquely fascinating, some that seem sad, and some that look menacing and rightfully so. Roundhouse kicking things to death is also fun to look at.

Soloing is perhaps the best way to travel the world IMHO as it keeps exploring light and unencumbered from managing.

Seriously though, this is perhaps the best game I've played this year so far and I still haven't delved into squads or the RTS management part of the game. There's a ton of mods too but I've only downloaded the Peeler Machine mod (which is technically in the game but not available) as I decided to keep the run as vanilla as possible.

Emmanuel2

Savant
What'd you lose the arms to?

From The Peeler Machine I've mentioned. It cuts all 4 of your limbs continuously until all of them are -100 but once they all go below 0 it starts cutting the vital parts too (head, chest, and stomach). It's supposedly enabled in the game but can't be acquired through any means. You can select which limb to remove by making the HP of the limb you want cut much lower than the rest. This is a two-man operation though, I had to recruit someone else as there is no means to escape from the machine.

I was already planning to replace my arms with skeleton arms but was sad to find out that there is no intentional way to actually cut and replace them.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Like i said this is the rare case when a guy has way much more creativity than the whole gaming industry and have the balls to try something totally new taking his time to flesh out features and putting passion on it.

Indeed that game has lot to offer and is unforgiving and don't hold your hand.
The developers made some promises during the early access campaign and not only managed to implement what was promised but it also implemented some feature that were considered a "Maybe". Mutilation,robotic limbs and crossbow are one of them.

The game is vast and huge and completely open ended and open to modding.

This is a little gem that managed alone to put almost all early access title to shame.

Many devs should shot up and learn from this guy.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Same things can be said for Stellar Tactics too IMHO, they're just on an earlier phase of early access. (earliest access?)
Nice to have such refreshing games among huge trash tier indies that Steam have.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Same things can be said for Stellar Tactics too IMHO, they're just on an earlier phase of early access. (earliest access?)
Nice to have such refreshing games among huge trash tier indies that Steam have.
And Star traders Frontiers.

Weird, none of these tr00 incline games are classic fantasy either.

Jinn

Arcane
Does it look like vaseline has been smeared on the camera to anyone else in this game? Also, I have my native resolution set, yet everything seems like it's a little too wide. Just wondering if I'm missing some obvious video settings, or if the game is just like this.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, looks pretty comparable to mine. Everything has a slight blurry look to it. Too bad, but not a game killer by any means.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is a sort a dynamic open world isometric open ended sandbox rpg

Emmanuel2

Savant
wtf is this game about!? cutting off arms? potato machine? This sounds... interesting.

You're not wrong about the use of the Peeler machine, it's supposed to shave off leather from animals and vegetables. You can also use it as a torture machine making your prisoners lose all of their limbs, it looks pretty damn sad once you pull them out to be honest.

There's more to the weirdness actually.

Heavy spoilers for those who wish to explore the game by themselves.

RNRrAT5.jpg

The picture above, I chanced upon an escaped servant getting eaten in a ritual.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can you still turn in bandits for bounty and them bust them so they have a chance of joining you in gratitude?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom