Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by GarfunkeL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Zanzoken Prophet

Zanzoken
    That's kind of what I was leaning toward as well. Done a fair bit of exploring but never fought the Bugmaster or

Show Spoiler
    Cat-Lon
    I thought playing a bounty hunter would also be cool, getting rich and ultimately allying with the UCs.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
    Y'all are making this game sound so cool.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It is. At least the first time around.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zanzoken Prophet

Zanzoken
    I started up a new game and was feeling burnt out within 15 minutes. Once you've figured out how to survive the early game -- which is trivial after you've been through it a couple times -- then all you're left with is grinding XP, research, and gear until you're strong enough for end-game content. Not a knock on the game necessarily, but after 300+ hours of playing I just can't get motivated to do it.

I may try save-game editing + mods to build a strong party from the outset. Or maybe I just need to play something else and come back to this one later. :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    it is. incomplete and buggy beyond human comprehension, but it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. toro Arcane

toro

Resist I must.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Wyatt_Derp Educated

Wyatt_Derp
    Picked it up on the recent gog sale. Game is... bit of a challenge. Hilariously hard. First game I took my character out of town to do some peaceful copper mining and got immediately robbed and murdered by dust bandits. 2nd and 3rd plays went more or less the same. Current game I'm finally getting a small base going and have managed to survive a while. Love games like this. The world of Kenshi enjoys laughing at your efforts... a lot like ours.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    I got to the point where I started my first base at the edge of the swamp but now I'm getting swamped (heh) by Blood Spiders and raiders and building defenses takes ages because getting building materials is so slow. :argh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. toro Arcane

toro
    Best Kenshi is adventure Kenshi. Take a couple of characters and go explore the world. You will probably die but it will be in a satisfying way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Bullshit. Best Kenshi is building lots of castles and watching hordes of hungry bandits being shredded by your turret-working crew without you doing anything.

If only that crew wouldn't constantly fall outside and starve to death... :negative:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    I just ran across Drin. Holy shit that place is basically the Blood War. :flamesaw:

^ Top  
  12. Wyatt_Derp Educated

Wyatt_Derp
    The first time I managed to get a companion, the two of us went for a stroll around a mountain town and found a big building that had practice dummies available. Coulda' swore it had a Gold's Gym sign out front. Turns out it was a Holy Order building and they didn't take kindly to me and my buddy using their facilities. We were instantly swarmed by guards and hacked to pieces. I guess they got their practice for the day.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zanzoken Prophet

Zanzoken
    Explorefags vs Basefags is the epic final battle of Kenshi........ that will never happen.

Explorefags are too busy looting the same copy-pasted ancient lab for the hundredth time, and Basefags can't stop adding to the trash mob body count outside their front gate.

It's an incredibly fitting end to the first chapter of the Kenshi story. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    sad. true.

but the piles of corpses in front of the gate have their charm.

^ Top  
  15. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    [​IMG]

:hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    I built a base in a caldera and walled off the entrances. Reloaded, all the walls are floating randomly in the air. Built a furnace to dispose of corpses, using it crashes the game.
    I love Kenshi but by god the jank is getting to me.

^ Top  
  17. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    1.5 FPS is not very charming tbh

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    sheeesh, or some retard will come to tell you the game is perfect and complete as it is.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    The mixture of mechanics and gameplay elements is great. It just doesn't gel well because the game is just as niggerrigged as everything in the world of Kenshi.

^ Top  
  20. conan_edw Learned

conan_edw

Chris is hosting AMA right now

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zanzoken Prophet

Zanzoken
    I posted a couple of questions but there's a pretty big sea of comments now so I doubt he will see them.

^ Top  
  22. Zanzoken Prophet

Zanzoken
    Here are the highlights from the AMA. Answers are from Chris and his sister Nat (who did 99% of the writing for Kenshi).

Development
    • Kenshi 2 development is still in early stages and nothing is set in stone.
    • They are working on a new "secret" engine. I thought it was previously announced that the sequel would run on an updated version of Ogre, but this seems to indicate something else?
    • They hope to port Kenshi to the new engine once it's finished, but it would be "a lot of extra work".
    • Mod capabilities will depend on the engine. Chris says because most of the game code is in C++ it can't be modded, but that's the only way they can get a seamless world with 800 characters running around at a time.
    • They are doing long-term planning for other games within the Kenshi universe.
    • Some dumbfuck asked about a console release. Chris says it won't happen because the game wouldn't work on a controller and would never pass console QA requirements.
    • They don't ever want to work with a publisher.
    • They'd like to make a Kenshi comic or something but don't have time.
    Setting / World
    • Kenshi 2 is set 1000 years prior to Kenshi.
    • The content is "secret" for now but the sequel will reveal more about the world's history and lore.
    • There will be a new continent to explore, in addition to the existing one.
    • Aesthetic will still be post-apocalyptic, perhaps even more dire than Kenshi 1.
    Gameplay
    • Chris says there will be one huge new gameplay feature that will "change things up a lot" but isn't sure when he will announce it.
    • Nat hopes to make world states more flexible so that there are multiple routes to take down factions, besides just killing boss characters.
    • Nat says improving reactivity and the player's impact on the world is her most important goal for the sequel.
    • Basebuilding will be back and Chris is thinking about new ways for the AI to siege your base, or tactically force you to leave.
    • Chris doesn't like the idea of allowing players to take over towns, since it's a lot of new features and bugs to contend with.
    • Chris admits that stealing is OP, but doesn't really want to change it because it's fun. He does acknowledge a couple of posts where people offer feedback on how the system could be better balanced.
    • The correct way to play Kenshi is iron man, unless Beep dies of course :)
    • Chris doesn't like using mining as an easy income source, and may make it less accessible in the future.
    • Ranged weapons will player a bigger role in the sequel.
    Also it looks like we got a resolution to the Explorefag vs Basefag war after all:M

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    • Brofist x 5
    • incline x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    So is this shit any good? Throw me some Codex summary please folks.

• incline x 2
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's a great rags-to-riches/wuss-to-warrior simulator.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    It's a MMO without other people. The best of both worlds!

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)