Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Kenshi Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Kenshi; Lo-Fi Games

Kenshi is an open-ended sandbox RPG set in a brutal Dark Sun-esque desert world. It's one of those games where you can go anywhere and do anything, including building cities and leading armies. Think Mount & Blade, but even crazier. Which it should be, seeing as it's been in development for twelve years, including over five years on Steam Early Access (beat that, Bannerlord!). As stated, the game is finally out today. The uncut launch trailer should give you a good idea of what the Kenshi experience is all about.

A free-roaming squad based RPG focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a warlord, an adventurer, a farmer, a slave, or just food for the cannibals.

Research new equipment and craft new gear. Purchase and upgrade your own buildings to use as safe fortified havens when things go bad, or use them to start up a business. Aid or oppose the various factions in the world while striving for the strength and wealth necessary to simply survive in the harsh desert. Train your men up from puny victims to master warriors. Carry your wounded squad mates to safety and get them all home alive.

Features
    • Freeform gameplay in a seamless game world in the largest single-player RPG world since Daggerfall, stretching over 870 square kilometers. The game will never seek to limit you or restrict your personal play style.
    • Custom design as many characters as you want and build up a whole squad to fight for you. Characters will grow and become stronger with experience, not just in their stats but their appearance too.
    • Original take on the RTS-RPG hybrid genre. No "hero" characters with artificially stronger stats than everybody else- Every character and NPC you meet is potentially an equal, and has a name, a life.
    • You are not the chosen one. You're not great and powerful. You don't have more 'hitpoints' than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special. Unless you work for it.
    • Build a base where you can research new technologies, upgrade your defences and craft new gear.
    • Purchase and upgrade your own buildings to use as safe fortified havens when things go bad, or use them to start up a business.
    • Variation and possibilities of gameplay. Be good, be evil, be a businessman, be a thief, live in a town, live in the desert, travel alone, travel in hordes, build a fortress, raze a city. Devote yourself to freeing slaves, or maybe end up a slave yourself.
    • Dynamic, ever changing world. Support or hinder whoever you wish, or keep to yourself, the world won't stop moving. This is not just a "game", you are living and surviving in a simulated world.
    • Get captured by cannibals and eaten alive, or sold off by slavers and forced to work in the mines. These are not scripted events, just a regular part of this chaotic world that ruins your life by chance. Anything can happen, yet anything can be overcome if you have the strength.
    • Absolutely no Level-scaling. The world does not level up along with you, and the shops don't change their inventory to only items matching your level. At the start of the game almost everyone will be stronger than you, and survival will always be a struggle. The game won't hold your hand or help you when you're down.
    • Realistic medical system that affects gameplay. A character with a wounded leg will limp or crawl and slow the party down, wounded arms means you must use your sword one-handed or not at all. Severe injuries will result in amputees needing robotic limb replacements. Blood loss means you can pass out, and the blood will attract predators. A character’s stats are affected by equipment, encumbrance, blood loss, injuries and starvation.
    • Intelligent AI that allows for characters to reason and work towards long-term goals and desires. Squads work together and carry their wounded to safety. Characters can be setup to take care of micromanagement for you and run production in your base.
    • Aid or oppose the various factions in the world while striving for the strength and wealth necessary to simply survive in the harsh environment.
    • Independently developed with no design influences, or alterations dictated by men in gray suits who have never played a game before in their lives.
    • Original game world. There are no fantasy-knock-off cliches. No magic.
    Kenshi isn't the kind of game mainstream reviewers grok, but it's got thousands of positive reviews on Steam. It might just be a new classic of the genre, although I don't know if Codexers have patience for this sort of game nowadays. If it is your type of thing though, you can grab Kenshi on Steam or GOG today for $30.

• Brofist x 19
    • incline x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Valky Liturgist Manlet

Valky
    I thought this was vaporware.

• Agree x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • No x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What?

This is like... from another eon ... when gas prices were right and politicians were honest

• Cheers!! x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Old x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Finally. Been waiting for this more than a decade now.

• Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    Are there different classes of weapons other than melee? I mean, it's kinda weird if there's atleast not bows or crossbows.

edit: Looked it up. Crossbows is the answer.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    god, that trailer surely isn't going to sell many copies. And it is a shame because the game is good, but god, who thought that trailer could promote a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    [citation needed]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Just another survival sandbox that tries to be the only game you'll ever need to play, but which like all others ends up consisting of nothing but boring and pointless tedium.

• Edgy x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lycra Suit Learned

Lycra Suit
    What baffles me is how, despite its huge marketing potential, the only ones exploring this niche are indie basement hobbyists.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. mustawd. Arcane

mustawd.
    See below for citation.

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Elim Savant

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    Was perfectly playable in the last years. IMHO one of the greatest games ever made. Superb atmosphere, solid mechanics and one of the only real exploration games out there. Real because you are in an alien landscape, you see stuff you have never seen before. It's not about finding hidden caches of awesome weapons. It's about the journey.

If you like RPG's, squad management, settlement management and exploration, give Kenshi a try.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Tried multiple times getting into the game.

It sounds marvellous in theory.
    But all you do in practice is run around for hours on end in an almost completely empty world, digging some rocks for materials and selling them. Speeding up the game as high as you can, but it is still all so tedious.
    Or following some guards around to pick up the trash they leave behind after fights (because you suck so much at the beginning, you really shouldn't fight).

To get to any kind of interesting gameplay with building your own base, etc. you probably have to play for weeks.
    I don't see why anyone would enjoy this. The graphics are also... let's say they demand quite a struggle against your inner graphics whore.

• Informative x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Elim Savant

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    Because this is how you want to play. I never do that.

It's a pretty grim world, you start as a total nobody. You can start stronger, but going from a total nobody to a person having a big city is pretty rewarding.

But you should fight because otherwise your stats won't increase. Savescumming is also not a real thing thanks to that. Losing means you gain stats, too. For example toughness.

If you play like you do, yes.
    Get followers, explore the world and find an biome/area that allows you to bloom.
    I do not want to spoil anything, but areas are very different, thanks to the factions and what lives creatures live in that biome. There will come a moment when you think "now I should build a town" because you have so much stuff and people and it is a little complex managing 14 people in your party.

Do not start a village with one dude. Basically the moment you build a house you become a faction. And the game changes again. Suddently you focus a lot on your town and recruits, you need food and money to pay mercs when you lack the manpower of dedicated fighters.
    I love the graphics, sure, they may not be great, but the aesthethics are.

True, this game is not for every person. It's slow, rough, chill. It has depth and meat on its bones. It's pretty unique.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Actually I find it awesome. The music's great, the gameplay seems fresh, the world looks alive.

If I didn't have a life, I'd delve deep, get lost in it, on the merits of that trailer alone. And I'm not really into survival/builder simulations. But I am into "living world simulations" à la Gothic/Elex.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Lycra Suit Learned

Lycra Suit
    How's the actual story and writing?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. ESh Arcane

ESh
    Neat, seems like a decent 10€ purchase.

how do they expect this to sell?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lycra Suit Learned

Lycra Suit
    curry can you be more specific?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Irgsarzh Novice

Irgsarzh
    Is this minecraft for grognards? :|

• Yes x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. curry Arcane

curry
    Can't ruin the mystery, bro.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    The fuck is this game.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I certainly never wanted to play like that, but besides that and digging in the leftovers of guards or caravans are literally the only things you can do to earn money early on.
    And both is just boring, because you don't really do anything.

Yeah, get the shit beaten out of you for stat gains. Sounds like fun. I guess that's the third alternative to what the early game is...
    Don't know about you, but I prefer picking fights I can win, not those I know I'll lose. That's just absurdly gamey. But this game doesn't give you any fights you can win early on. I was walking around in at least four or five biomes and none of them features any kind of encounter my little band of 2-4 people could've won without dying.

As I said already, there is no other way to play at the beginning.

To get followers, you need cash. Which requires you to do boring mining or boring scavenging.
    A few will join you for free, yes, but they suck almost as much as you do. After playing for 8 hours, I think I found three people willing to join for free in who knows how many cities I've been to.
    I don't know what game you played, but the one I played simply did not have any biome that would have been beginner friendly without having to grind for weeks on end.

Too bad you have to wade through many hours of boring grind to get to any of that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. slymer Educated Patron

slymer
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    i bought this on Desura years ago, but I guess they went out of business.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Contact the dev, if you show him your receipt email he might give you a Steam or GOG key.

^ Top  
  24. slymer Educated Patron

slymer
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    unfortunately I can't find a receipt email. sad!

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Irgsarzh Novice

Irgsarzh
    Apart from the sandbox exploration, does the game at least has an interesting enough storyline or events to counter the suffering?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)