Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kentucky Route Zero - magical realist episodic adventure game

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Aw hell yissssssssssssssss

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
That was a fantastically disappointing final episode, and I say this as someone who considers KRZ his favourite game of all time. It's not because the game ended or muh expectations or any other melodramatic shit; it's because it's short, unsubstantial, there's barely any content compared to every other episode, and it's not even clear how it connects to the previous episodes. It's obvious that the three-and-a-half year wait can be mostly attributed to the console port, but I would have been happy to wait two more years for an actual episode, instead of something that resembles the previous interludes. What's tragic is that the team has shown they can do it, and that they have already done it four times; I wonder what really happened here.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was a fantastically disappointing final episode, and I say this as someone who considers KRZ his favourite game of all time. It's not because the game ended or muh expectations or any other melodramatic shit; it's because it's short, unsubstantial, there's barely any content compared to every other episode, and it's not even clear how it connects to the previous episodes. It's obvious that the three-and-a-half year wait can be mostly attributed to the console port, but I would have been happy to wait two more years for an actual episode, instead of something that resembles the previous interludes. What's tragic is that the team has shown they can do it, and that they have already done it four times; I wonder what really happened here.

I notice on the Act selection menu there is a space after the final act, I wonder if they are planning on doing an epilogue or something, You have each Act selectable and then the interstitial episodes between them, but then after Act V there is just a blank spot and it looks really awkward and I don't know why they would put that there otherwise.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron

I notice on the Act selection menu there is a space after the final act, I wonder if they are planning on doing an epilogue or something, You have each Act selectable and then the interstitial episodes between them, but then after Act V there is just a blank spot and it looks really awkward and I don't know why they would put that there otherwise.

I don't see what you mean. I played the epilogue, "Death of the Hired Man" after Act V, and that was it. There is no gap. Here's what I see:

upload_2020-1-28_22-49-39.png

Also, nope, the epilogue doesn't salvage the final act.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-28_22-49-24.png
    upload_2020-1-28_22-49-24.png
    479.4 KB · Views: 200

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't see what you mean. I played the epilogue, "Death of the Hired Man" after Act V, and that was it. There is no gap. Here's what I see:

Also, nope, the epilogue doesn't salvage the final act.

ah I hadn't played ACT V yet so I was just wondering.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Well, any epilogue would be bad for this kind of story.

No, it's not that kind of bad; that's why I specifically mentioned "melodramatic shit" in my original post, as what you're describing is really intellectual dishonesty (because you come into a work liking it).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, any epilogue would be bad for this kind of story.

No, it's not that kind of bad; that's why I specifically mentioned "melodramatic shit" in my original post, as what you're describing is really intellectual dishonesty (because you come into a work liking it).

Well, it is sad if so. However, I need to experience it firsthand, so see you here in some time.

Dodo1610

Arcane
rating_oldman.png
Damm I was still in school when this game came out back then I didn't play it because I wanted to wait for the complete version...

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Never played the series, but I've heard good things. Worth trying?

Even with the disappointing final episode, it is one of the best things ever to play. Not because of the gameplay; from a gameplay perspective, KRZ is nothing. It is a Notgame of the highest order.

However, no other game that I know of incorporates aspects of other art forms quite so seamlessly and fluently as Kentucky Route Zero. In a world of indies and art games and walking simulators, it is the only game I have played that entirely lacks the sense of juvenility associated with video games.

Especially in methods of storytelling and presentation, KRZ is peerless. Every episode (but the last, I would argue) contains multiple scenes of audio-visual genius; most other games would count themselves lucky to have just one of these.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom