Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program TWO, DOS, DEUX, ZWEI....

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Riel, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Prime Junta Tinker Patron Vatnik

Prime Junta
    My guess is that clouds will be in but weather won't, i.e. clouds will be cosmetic only.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Scott Manley interviews the creative lead at PAX West:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Riel Arbiter

Riel
    A loong silence about this. It seems it is set to release in April though.

^ Top  
  4. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Doubtful, during some earnings release call or whatever Take 2 said the game will not be out in their current fiscal year but sometime in the next one. Well technically it does start in April, but I would be surprised if we get it this spring. Could be anywhere up to March next year.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-is-delayed/

No relevant news regarding anything KSP 2 since then.

They would be building hype more if they were so close. Most likely scenario is the dev team is too busy working on the game to release anything.

^ Top  
  5. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I'm all for waiting. KSP still plays nice and looks great with mods like Restock.

^ Top  
  6. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    WTF. Still runs in Unity, probably completely recoded and looks like shit. There is absolutely no point to this game.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Just in case anyone is wondering no new info on the game so far, although we might get more after they hire a new community manager in Seattle soon. They wouldn't be looking for one if they didn't want to use him or her to release information to the community.

The only really shit part I saw so far are the ground textures, especially considering the base game just recently upgraded the ground textures for some of the celestial bodies. They seem quite basic and placeholder-ish, kind of expected as what they have shown so far is pre-alpha footage. Seems they focused on the new scatter system which, if the below image is not doctored, seems like an improvement even in this early build. Actual ship and base part models look ok on close-ups even if the first screenshot below seem to be missing anti-aliasing for some reason.

For me features like proper support for interstellar craft including continuous acceleration during time-warp, proper base building support, multiplayer and the improved procedural terrain system justify doing this sequel.

Unity of course is a whole other problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    FYI it seems Private Division will be at PAX East which is next week from the 27th of February to the 1st of March. We might get new info then. At the very least I would expect the devs to show up and say something new.

^ Top  
  9. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    First video from new dev video series got released an hour ago, more coming in the next few weeks, features new footage between talking heads. Footage looks quite good but also somewhat choppy in places.

Video mostly related to how they had their science consultant help them design speculative metallic hydrogen engines. Also explosions.

Show Spoiler
    Apparently SCIENCE says the metallic hydrogen rocket engine exhaust would be pink.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    It's not nearly as bad with 1.8. The stutter is practically gone. That was by far my biggest gripe. The memory leaks are still there though.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on 1.7.3 due to RP-1. The base game isn't complex enough even with mods like JNSQ or LRTR. And I'm fucking sick of using the overpowered Dawn engine.

Not particularly reassuring. In KSP 1 many game systems have complete mod rewrites given how crappy they are. Aerodynamics, gravity, tanks, engine thrust at the top of my head. I don't expect the original implementation to be any good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    ^ Top  
  11. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    New dev blog on the science of explosion visuals:

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/dev-diaries/developer-insights-2/

[​IMG]

Also they confirmed a few days ago that indeed they will be at PAX East which starts tomorrow I think. Here's hoping they don't pull a CDP and cancel their attendance just before it due to the coronavirus. Although in the case of foreign trips I also would cancel, airports are a risk and nobody wants staff quarantined.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. somewhatgiggly Educated

somewhatgiggly
    Well, if the Modders can remake RSS and give me a orbital shipyard, I don't care much. I just use KSP to lowball some cosmetically hardscifi designs for my own works and most of my ships were torchships anyway, so the antimatter stuff (if it's there) is welcome, and if not I'll wait until someone ports/remakes the interstellar mod.

^ Top  
  14. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Looks like Nertea is back to work on his Far Future mod, so hopefully in couple of months you'll have great quality models to build torchships.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Take Two/Private Division takeover:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Prime Junta Tinker Patron Vatnik

Prime Junta
    Interesting although there's not that much there that's new. It'd be interesting to hear TT's side of the story, this is pretty unusual and as the reporter says the potential reputation risk for TT is major, especially as their strategic objective is to cultivate a stable of indie studios making mid-budget hits for them. Must've been a major morale hit for everyone working on the game too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ogram-2-release-disrupted-by-corporate-strife

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Tbh this sounds very scummy. Basically negotiations didn't pan out as tt wanted to be, then they sabotage star theory to death.

^ Top  
  19. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I don't see a problem. Why should Take Two not try to hire people?

In the end it's everyone's decision wether they take a new offer or not.

In fact, whenever you see the word "poaching" used these days, you can be sure it is meaningless and indicates a bad business practice. The article makes it sound like the employees are the sole commodity of Star Theory Games and here lies the problem. They fucked up a deal with their only contractor and now expect that the employes pay the price for that and pull the cart from the shit. Why should they do that if they get a better offer and already accepted it?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top