Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Destroid

Arcane
That one hit about 5950m/s, its just the one I used to test out orbiting because it's a bit easier to fly and doesn't take so long to burn all it's fuel.

I'm sure the big rocket I made could handle the extra weight of a parachute and extra separation module, but you can do powered landings in this game, I've seen screenshots of people landing their rockets on the launch buildings. It was when I tried adding stuff like 20 extra fuel tanks that it needed more power than I could put on it and still have it flyable.

Just tested it then, it takes off just fine with the extra modules.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's ok, now I also omit those parts to get more speed :)

I made another one, it reached 7.445 m/s.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
How well does that thing fly? I find sticking things on the outside of the triple couplers makes them far too unstable. The coupler and chute do make a considerable difference in final velocity, I haven't fully optimised but a couple of test runs only hit ~6000m/s, no better than other, considerably smaller, rockets I have made.

Burning Bridges

That one flew ok, but when I tried to strap on more solid engines it begins to spin.

I have already abandoned that one.

Burning Bridges

I tried to build a rocket that could reach 10 km/s. I had several ones that could have made it but failed in separating the stages properly. With the current version it's just not possible to assign all stages properly when you have a really complex design, it's better to build very simple ones.

I think it's better to take abreak now and wait for the next version which is supposed to have much better staging logic and more parts.

This is actually what I consider the most fun. Could have stopped there ..
ZX2-XX.craft

this is the more basic version from which it started:
ZX1-E.craft

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Burning Bridges

Any one tried the addons yet? I recommend "wobbly rockets". With it you don't need to resort to stupid tricks to make reliable spacecraft. It's also closer to realistic ones I think.

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/

This one broke the 10km/s limit. Much easier than with the default parts.

21.jpg

Bye bye Kearth

23.jpg

and into the sun

22.jpg

Ashery

Prophet
Checked out this thread on a whim...

Holy shit :love:

The first few designs I put together before getting the hang of proper design and control caused me to double over in tears from laughing so god damn hard.

Still trying to do some proper orbits without resorting to using the calculator (Well, as close to proper as possible without any real guideline), but I'll likely start fucking around with obscene designs again once this attempt is over.

Destroid

Arcane
Orbiting seems as simple as getting to a decent altitude then aiming at the horizon and accelerating until you stop climbing/falling.

Ashery

Prophet
Meh, orbit's not as fun as reaching escape velocity.

Tempted to let it run overnight just for shits and giggles.

Destroid

Arcane
I see our ships have the same basic design - eliminating those flexible lateral linkages. It's a real pain how the performance breaks down with so many parts.

Burning Bridges

I flew your 7600 rocket and I was surprised how stable it was. If you got rid of that SAS modul on top and create a little more acceleration this would also make 8km/s I think.

I agree about the lateral mountings. They are useless as long as you cannot mount several of them down to each other, and cannot take enough stress. While the limited options for mounting sucks, building the perfect rocket becomes an intellectual challenge. The reason no design can be really effective is because the game forces us to use solid engines as connectors.

While it's fun to push the limit with the defaukt parts, I am actually having more fun with the addons. You can have aditional mountings, and also better and more realistic hardware like retro thrusters, an SPS engine, or a tri-chute.

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/kerba ... m-mods#top

Burning Bridges

Edit, I found I will use only the new mountings and some additonal stuff like the retro pack. The new engines have an unbalancing effect. I build several high performance ships, but when I replaced all engines with the default model they wouldn't even take off. The default engine is very heavy, so there is a tradeoff between weight and additional stages.

I see the point in stuff like the SPS but it should be very expensive and late in the tech tree. But they also have stuiff like NERVA engines, something that never left the drawing board in real life. The last thing you want to have with a game like this is uber equipment, so I think the community over there must take care that they only release balanced addons.

Anyway, what an addictive game.

20.jpg

Burning Bridges

Well .. Destroid, Rhalle , Ulminati, anyone up for the challenge to build the first spacecraft to reach 9.000 m/s?
Only with parts from the default selection.

By the way I am currently leading the 4-minute height challenge. At www.kerbalspaceprogram.net they have a competition how high you can go within 4 minutes.

I am sure this is not even close to what is possible. If you want to have a go yourself:

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/comp- ... s#comments

cw_height_challenge.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
Yep, that one flew very well. I had a couple of tries at your 8000m/s ship but couldn't get it to fly straight enough. It would be nice if the weights of modules and their thrust/burn time were available.

Modders should implement a project Orion style engine.

EDIT:

Just taking a couple of fuel tanks off my velocity design made a very effective 4 minute design.
hDBXY.jpg

TripJack

Hedonist
why is this thread in general gaming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom