Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    In the meantime... I got back to more conventional Kerbal engineering. I created the MIKS, or Modular Interplanetary Kerbal Shuttle. It'll carry up to 51 kerbals almost anywhere in the Kerbol system with a minimum of fuss. It's intended for a late-game colonial liaison craft, because it does expect to be refueled at each end of the trip, and is based on permanent infrastructure serving each of the bases.

The core of the system is the Payload and Fuel Module, or PFM. It is launched from Kerbin using the Kerbin Orbital Shuttle module, or KOS:

[​IMG]

Once in orbit, it swaps the KOS for the Interplanetary Tug (IT) module. Fully fueled (as it is after reaching orbit with the KOS), it has just over 5000 m/s dV.

[​IMG]

The PFM/IT combination will then fly to the destination system and park itself in orbit. With the legs it has, it can reach almost any celestial body in the Kerbol system. There, it RV's with and swaps the IT for the shuttle module serving the destination body. For Laythe, this could be another KOS. For most other bodies, it could be the Munar Orbital Shuttle (MOS) or a variant. Duna would need a MOS variant or perhaps some type of VTOL airplane. Eve is probably unreachable using reusable assets and this kind of payload. Tylo might also be, or at least the Tylo shuttle would be humongous.

[​IMG]

The PFM carries all the fuel needed for the trip, so the system doesn't require any extra refueling launches. All the modules except the PFM use RTGs for electrical power; the PFM will only be un-docked from another module during the short time it switches from one to the other so it has no independent electricity generators. It has no engines either, just RCS. However it does have a probe control point and a short-range relay antenna, so with two pilots it can easily handle the RV and docking operations with the uncrewed modules even with no connection to KSC.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Riel Savant

Riel
    Very interesting concept. What are you using as landing gear under the 4 legs in the last picture? Is that stock? Does it help with stabilizing once in contact with the surface?

I have a heavy refinery that bounces like crazy when landing... :rage:

^ Top  
  3. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    They're heavy hydraulic cylinders with friction pads at the ends. They're from the Breaking Ground expansion, so stock/DLC. (I have clipped them deep into the fuel tanks though.)

Yes they work, I've tuned the springiness so they take the edge off a hard landing, and the friction pads are pretty effective at stopping it from sliding. While these cylinders are pre-tuned, it's possible to make the tension adjustable in flight. So yeah it's totally possible to use these as refinery legs, both to level it and to stabilise it.

In fact I inadvertently stress-tested them because on my first trial flight I ran out of juice just a bit before touching down and dropped the rest of the way, landing quite a bit harder than I planned, and nothing broke.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    So hey here's another thing I made. It's a (theoretically) reusable Eve launcher. Two-stage but both stages are recoverable without mods or other shenanigans, you fly the orbiter to orbit, switch to the lifter, and glide it down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm also developing the support craft for it although I doubt I'll ever fly a single recovered mission with this, it would be a tremendous amount of work. But the engineering is fun.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Did a successful test run of the support plane. It grew a little and now packs an ISRU as well so it has everything needed to service the lifter/orbiter.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
  7. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    In the tail section perhaps? Otherwise I'm not seeing the resemblance, the Ju-52 is a three-engine and the wing has a nearly straight leading edge. (Which actually looks damn good, maybe I should redesign the wing...)

^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The nose thingy. I mean, it's not a copy or anything, just reminded me of one :)

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    The Elvira is now complete and packaged for launch. All that remains is to actually do the mission. That'll be a significant undertaking though so it might have to wait.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)