Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Kevin Saunders leaves inXile

norolim

Arcane
I was about to ask why Neckbeard Shitlord didn't get a suitable tag yet. Then I realised that with that user name, a tag is not required.

EDIT: oh, it seems a tag was added, after all. Should serve as a nice topping to go with that user name. Well deserved.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Updated. In a show of humility, he's calling himself the project's "Closer" rather than director.

Which isn't a good sign for a game that seems to have only been in production for about a year now.

We know that "InXile operates on a 1.5 team system, where one team is fully dedicated to our main ongoing project (Torment) and a smaller team is working both on continued support of existing titles (Wasteland 2) and prepping the very early pre-production of our next title." Torment was still in pre-production as of June 2014, and still was raising money for stretch goals in October 2014 (2 months before the original release date). Wasteland was released in September 2014. In December 2014 they wrote that "Over the last couple months, our highest priority has been ramping up Torment’s new team members and welcoming them over from their duties on Wasteland 2."

Possible scenario: Wasteland 2 delay ended up delaying the full production of Torment (they pretty much said this), which only really got started at the end of 2014. Fargo thought that with all the pre-production and using an already built engine, they could churn out the actual game in a year (Fargo made similar comments about Wasteland 2, if you recall). July 2015, Bard's Tale IV fails to being in $4 million. Fargo tells Saunders that they need to release Torment this year, because "It's almost been three years since the Kickstarter." Saunders says that they haven't even been in full production for a year and he's not comfortable pushing out a half finished game. Fargo replaces Saunders with a "closer" who will push out Torment ASAP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it's not going to be in production for just a year now that they've officially delayed, is it.

BTW, the beta should be coming out...any day now?

almondblight

Arcane
Well, it's not going to be in production for just a year now that they've officially delayed, is it.

Yeah, but they brought in a closer after only one year of production, with the goal of releasing the beta a couple months later and releasing the game within the next year. It seems like they're going to really rush things, and I don't see how the game isn't going to suffer as a result (I also doubt that it will make the actual release happen much sooner).

throwaway

Cipher
Heine was recently "complaining" about the incoming TTON workload assigned by one of the producers, fwiw.

almondblight

Arcane
Heine was recently "complaining" about the incoming TTON workload assigned by one of the producers, fwiw.

Hmm, that is interesting. Particularly this part:

Fix a number of problems created by the most recent round of Torment cuts

Could be normal "some stuff gets cut as we ramp up production," or "we're putting a knife to this game until we're able to get it to the point where we can release a beta after only a year of production" (which was their plan as of October).

Saunder's comment when leaving the InXile about how the Torment team will always have his support is also interesting. As is his blog post about Kickstarters written a couple of weeks before the announcement:

I’m a Lawful Good paladin at heart. At least I strive to be. Even when it’s clearly about the money, I refuse to accept that. I want to live in a world where goodwill is the norm. So I pretend I do and attempt to act accordingly.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(Financial/life realities may result in my next project not being something that Codexers would particularly care about. I hope that's not the case, but we shall see...)
I hope you'll let us know what it is anyway. Some of us DO have other interests, after all; maybe a few will want to support Battle Pinball 4 or whatever the hell it turns out to be.

Mustawd

(Financial/life realities may result in my next project not being something that Codexers would particularly care about. I hope that's not the case, but we shall see...)
I hope you'll let us know what it is anyway. Some of us DO have other interests, after all; maybe a few will want to support Battle Pinball 4 or whatever the hell it turns out to be.

ditto.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom