Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All right, I am going on hiatus for an unspecified amount of time, if by the first of November I hadn't post anything consider this my last post on the Codex.
BRO, I hope you get back to us, but if you don't, nice knowing you and best of luck in all your endeavors!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
All right, I am going on hiatus for an unspecified amount of time, if by the first of November I hadn't post anything consider this my last post on the Codex.

Cheers bro thanks for this thread. Hope to see you back here in due time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
EQ 2 was very hardcore as far as these things go when it came out. Emphasis mine, they streamlined it to a degree you wouldn't recognize the old game in it now.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Damn. Was hoping WW would open the window in December. Also, $335 for Heavy Metal Edition :eek:

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/04/kicking-it-old-school-the-peril-of-kickstarter-nostalgia/

First reply xD

Half Life 2 is to Half Life what Half Life was to Doom.
After the Skyrim/Elder Scrolls franchise and Dragon Age/Mass Effect Franchise, I don’t see why people want to go backwards, either. Sure, make new games, and if a gametype (ie Group Combat D&D-Style RPG) inspires you go for it! But most of the premises that make people pay for Kickstarters seem like the same whiners who are like “X Game isn’t like X-1 Game” and get super butthurt.

:retarded:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/04/kicking-it-old-school-the-peril-of-kickstarter-nostalgia/

First reply xD

After the Skyrim/Elder Scrolls franchise and Dragon Age/Mass Effect Franchise, I don’t see why people want to go backwards, either. Sure, make new games, and if a gametype (ie Group Combat D&D-Style RPG) inspires you go for it! But most of the premises that make people pay for Kickstarters seem like the same whiners who are like “X Game isn’t like X-1 Game” and get super butthurt.

But then, a Codex Patriot fires this right back:

Because combat is bland, doesn’t feel strategic, mash A for Awesome, no emergent gameplay, and Sword/Gun&Conversation is not enough for a lot of us. The niche market is not your Triple AAA cater for everyone console popamole.
Newfag pakoito to the rescue - incline of newfags!

EDIT:

Then another moron answers whit this stinker:

But combat was awfully bland back then in most RPGs, too, if that’s what we’re talking about. Turn based RPGs generally consisted of fighters hitting melee and magic users either using magic or saving it for some boss. Then you heal after the fight. Real time RPGs did basically the same. There’s nothing particularly strategic about it.
I’m also not sure what RPGs had emergent game play. Maybe a couple of the later Ultimas. Generally you followed the story while being beset by various groups of mobs. They were just as scripted, but had a more open world with interesting points spread out more.
The way I see it, an average modern RPGs tightened up the travel time, shortened the combat, removed much of repetition in NPC interaction, and have about the same quality of story over an average old-school RPG. It’s a net gain for me.
The fallacy is assuming all old-school RPGs were similar to the very best old-school RPGs. Some of the Ultimas, Wizardrys, etc. were truly great. But most of the games of the time were unimaginative slogs.

...and another Codex Patriot ( tuluse ) strikes back:

Fallout had tons of emergent gameplay.
Ever watch a video of someone beating Fallout 2 in 14 min?

EDIT 2:

Multiple Codex Patriots tracking and engaging the massive barrage of stupidity in that article and its comment section.

udm

Arcane
Patron

First reply xD

I wouldn't put too much weight into the comments of the RPS crowd. Reading too much into them makes one depressed and hurts the brian brain.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's really a shame that Blackspace and Nexus are having so much trouble getting their funding.

I mean, I haven't contributed, so it's my fault too, but they're definitely more deserving than some stuff out there.

visions

Arcane
But most of the premises that make people pay for Kickstarters seem like the same whiners who are like “X Game isn’t like X-1 Game” and get super butthurt.

Sounds more like retards are getting upset that the amount of games that don't conform to their expectations might be increasing. THERE WILL BE A WIDER VARIETY OF NEW GAMES TO CHOOSE FROM, SOME OF THEM OUT OF STEP WITH MODERN SENSIBILITIES. THE TRAVESTY!

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Duh, after last update I finally backed Blackspace for 20 dorrah. It is my 11th game I am backing and probably the first one that will not make it :(. The only problem is that it may end up with the shallow story-line focusing on "tower defense" type of gameplay.

If only they were not so dumb. They should have mentioned Homeworld as one of the main inspirations, assuring that they will be delivering great story, and they would get a buckets of gold.

EDIT::

I have a feeling these guys (both Blackspace and Nexus 2) misjudged their low-level tiers (and total goals, I guess - though they probably know better how much money they need to make a game of certain scope). They basically ask 20$ for the basic game. Now, remember that, e.g., Banner Saga - a game that'd already had a press at that time (announced like half a year before kickstarter), and from ex-Biowarians (another bonus) - put the basic game for just 10$. Only after their success they started to play arround (saying that it will be trilogy and by pledging 50$+ or similar, you get the other parts for free). Still they were advertising Banner Saga 1 as a full game 20 - 30h of content.
Suddenly, these guys want the double bucks for the entry level tier (save for early-bird) o_O. I mean Nexus, while great, was a niche game. And they want 650k. Blackspace is also from unknown guys (xcept for working in EA blabla).
Space games do not seem to do as well as, e.g., cRPGs in Kickstarter (remember Skyjacker - promising Freespace clone? - well, they didn't make it and they asked for like 350k). Add to it, that these are not the very early days of kickstarter, so pledgers have got their heads much cooler nowadays.
Yet, they are putting those unrealistic goals for themselves...

Destroid

Arcane
Looks pretty interesting udm, more so than castle story. If he gets the first person into shape it could be an interesting take on the battlezone style of game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
MoO wannabe http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...urn-based-4x-space-strategy-game?ref=category

Looks interesting, but I'm no MoO or strategy expert.
Maybe The Brazilian Slaughter can clarify.

Their models would make Prosper jelly. But in a good way.

Bro the more I look at this, the more I want to throw $100. They seem to be doing everything right, including DRM-free and no Day 1 DLC rubbish (unmet stretch goals = DLC). Even the interface skins look sweet. The fuck is this not getting more money? :decline:

kaizoku

Arcane
MoO wannabe http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...urn-based-4x-space-strategy-game?ref=category

Looks interesting, but I'm no MoO or strategy expert.
Maybe The Brazilian Slaughter can clarify.

Their models would make Prosper jelly. But in a good way.

Bro the more I look at this, the more I want to throw $100. They seem to be doing everything right, including DRM-free and no Day 1 DLC rubbish (unmet stretch goals = DLC). Even the interface skins look sweet. The fuck is this not getting more money? :decline:

Maybe because of what mikaelis said.

I'm also guessing there may be some gfx whorism...

48412e02db8c8cafaa4af6a9b15397a5_large.jpg

5202aee919b48c6f64ed7dd7a183cd80_large.jpg

They don't have that pixel art that even mainstream loves, but aren't exactly pretty also. (is it the lack of textures?)

Still good to see they will succeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom