Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Upon reaching our funding goals we can obtain the license

So, I guess they plan on buying the license or something... does Take 2 even know they are planning this? Also, they are called "R34L T1m3 Games" :lol:

One of the devs just identified himself in the comments...I think.

Phelot

Arcane
Upon reaching our funding goals we can obtain the license

So, I guess they plan on buying the license or something... does Take 2 even know they are planning this? Also, they are called "R34L T1m3 Games" :lol:

One of the devs just identified himself in the comments...I think.

Yeah... either scam or retards. No thanks. All they are really offering is a few 3D models of the original units and a few maps, plus retarded shit like eagles dropping bombs :lol:

The guy (Road) ( http://tain.totalcodex.net/authors/show/135 ) made a few mods, especially ones that tweaked existing mods or the main game, which is nice and all, but I wouldn't trust him with money just because he made a few mods. Also, he made a mod that allows chickens to have different color palettes :lol:

i4SF1.jpg

And they have GOT to be more clear on the licensing thing. That shit is shady as fuck. "GIVE US MONEY THEN WE CAN BUY LICENSE" Yeah... no.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Actually, I can't figure out who these guys are. Is Take 2 offering to sell this or something? That's what I gathered.

Yeah I just checked the US Trademark site. Take 2 still own the rights. One would think they would secure the trademark before starting a KS project. That or it would ultimately be called something else, and are just riding on the Myth brand name recognition.
So, basically, it's Take 2 doing a Myth Kickstarter by using some dupes as a front. This is what people were talking about when we were discussing about how EA and other big publishers are going to get into the KS game. Given that this KS will, most likely, fail, let's hope that the rest of the big publishers take note and stay the fuck out.

Phelot

Arcane
So, basically, it's Take 2 doing a Myth Kickstarter by using some dupes as a front. This is what people were talking about when we were discussing about how EA and other big publishers are going to get into the KS game. Given that this KS will, most likely, fail, let's hope that the rest of the big publishers take note and stay the fuck out.

Eh. Actually, as I said, I'm pretty sure these guys are either scamming, or more likely, just don't know what they're doing.

EDIT: Also of humorous note is that you get a "custom username/password" on carnage.net which is a site that doesn't exist. I assume that is suppose to be their MP service site.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Jason about 1 hour ago

This account left the following comment on July 25:
"To John K. you REALLY want to get some funding?!? Start a Kickstarter after this Cans without labels to raise money to BUY THE THE RIGHTS TO REN AND STIMPY!!! ...I hear rumors Billy West is still making cartoon voice-overs! ~8^) I am Broke as fuk, and I pledged a whole 1 DOLLA! Just think if all the broke bums that love John K. pledged $1!!! this thing would be funded instantly!"
When I read it, I didn't get the impression that a "video game company" owned this account. Then the facebook page has absolutely no content on it and the e-mail address (4723yu@gmail.com) is very suspicious. This seems like a scam.

popcorn-1.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Phelot Sockpuppets gonna sockpuppet http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythstarter/mythstarter/comments

I'm so excited to back this project! The passion of the guys behind Myth 4 truly inspire me and literally made me a fan because of their talent and excitement!

Myth is such a fun game! Anything can happen because of all the crazy physics and its never the same game twice. Just imagine the replay value!

I know for a fact that people within the myth community have been anxiously waiting for a fan-funded project to keep this amazing series alive! With all the new graphics, maps and original story to come, I can't wait for the unbridled carnage possibilities!

There's even a Myth 4 Multiplayer Demo you can play if you already have Myth. Using the Myth 2 engine as a foundation, it takes every unit, effect, piece of scenery and map texture and turns it into a complete high definition experience.
Well done R34L T1m3 Games! WELL DONE!

Joined October 2012

kaizoku

Arcane
Duh, after last update I finally backed Blackspace for 20 dorrah. It is my 11th game I am backing and probably the first one that will not make it :(. The only problem is that it may end up with the shallow story-line focusing on "tower defense" type of gameplay.

If only they were not so dumb. They should have mentioned Homeworld as one of the main inspirations, assuring that they will be delivering great story, and they would get a buckets of gold.

EDIT::

I have a feeling these guys (both Blackspace and Nexus 2) misjudged their low-level tiers (and total goals, I guess - though they probably know better how much money they need to make a game of certain scope). They basically ask 20$ for the basic game. Now, remember that, e.g., Banner Saga - a game that'd already had a press at that time (announced like half a year before kickstarter), and from ex-Biowarians (another bonus) - put the basic game for just 10$. Only after their success they started to play arround (saying that it will be trilogy and by pledging 50$+ or similar, you get the other parts for free). Still they were advertising Banner Saga 1 as a full game 20 - 30h of content.
Suddenly, these guys want the double bucks for the entry level tier (save for early-bird) o_O. I mean Nexus, while great, was a niche game. And they want 650k. Blackspace is also from unknown guys (xcept for working in EA blabla).
Space games do not seem to do as well as, e.g., cRPGs in Kickstarter (remember Skyjacker - promising Freespace clone? - well, they didn't make it and they asked for like 350k). Add to it, that these are not the very early days of kickstarter, so pledgers have got their heads much cooler nowadays.
Yet, they are putting those unrealistic goals for themselves...
I sent them some interview questions (with help from Crooked Bee and Trash) and they haven't got back to me yet, after more than a week. I think that they have already given up trying. Blackspace had some interesting promise, although I agree with you that it may have ended up with the shallow story-line focusing on "tower defense" type of gameplay. Well, too bad. Another one joins the ranks of failed KS realistic games (alongside TorchShips and Ground Branch). As for Nexus 2, I loved Nexus, and I pledged to Nexus 2, but with a $650k funding goal for a very niche game (even more niche than old-school RPGs), I labeled them dead in the water from the start. Again, too bad...

What does Blackspace have in common with Homeworld?

It really seems space games are the smallest of niches.
Skyjacker looked/looks pretty cool and it still failed.

I'm not a space games guy at all. Not because I don't like them, more like I haven't had the opportunity to try them.
When I was younger and played more games, and I had access to lots of different games, the only space game I recall playing was Descendant... and oh man... I didn't like that at all.
I was/is an FPS to me.

But Nexus. Nexus is a RTS. I don't know why it is failing so bad with the Planetary Annihilation with those cartoony gfx won the internet big time.
- oh wait...
Cartoon gfx and banging planets explain its. And maybe Total Annihilation explains it too.

BRO, I hope you get back to us, but if you don't, nice knowing you and best of luck in all your endeavors!

Thank you for the nice words.

:eek: Why so dramatic?
Simply because certain things are not settle down yet, actually they will probably do to the beginning of the next year, for the better or the worse.

The Union of Codex does not look favorably on those who leave her behind comrade Kz3r0, even a great man can become a traitor. Remember that.
Reporting:salute: for duty.
:love:
I hope everything is all right.
Just some change due to circumstances out of my control.
At DwarvenFood
:bro:
Hope everything is OK Kz3r0. Come back to us soon.

Cheers bro thanks for this thread. Hope to see you back here in due time.
Thank you.
In due time I will adjourn this thread.

Kz3r0 month? :smug:

http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

Can't believe this isn't in the RPG section of the kickstarter thread :D

Why 250K? Isnt the game almost done?
Cleve's bunker needs a makeover.

Phelot

Arcane
Phelot Sockpuppets gonna sockpuppet http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythstarter/mythstarter/comments

I'm so excited to back this project! The passion of the guys behind Myth 4 truly inspire me and literally made me a fan because of their talent and excitement!

Myth is such a fun game! Anything can happen because of all the crazy physics and its never the same game twice. Just imagine the replay value!

I know for a fact that people within the myth community have been anxiously waiting for a fan-funded project to keep this amazing series alive! With all the new graphics, maps and original story to come, I can't wait for the unbridled carnage possibilities!

There's even a Myth 4 Multiplayer Demo you can play if you already have Myth. Using the Myth 2 engine as a foundation, it takes every unit, effect, piece of scenery and map texture and turns it into a complete high definition experience.

Joined October 2012

Yeah, and under that is a post by oogaBooga, an actual modder like Road, but again, really weird.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Joined October 2012

Yeah, and under that is a post by oogaBooga, an actual modder like Road, but again, really weird.

Do you know if Michael Finley is his real name?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wait a second - I think that's "Mike" from the video: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/287684924

My name is Mike, and i've been modding games for 15 years. I started early, with the Marathon level and game editor, and soon graduated to Bungie's next title: Myth.

Ever since then, i've been addicted to creating things for the game. I gained a name for myself early, and ever since then i've been sort of a guru, a go-to-guy, a problem solver.

I'm the first person to ever create a jumping unit in Myth.

I'm the first person to design a system that can in-game apply a continual "vortex" or "repel field" that dynamically stays centered on the unit. And i'm definitely the first guy to be involved with a team that has taken EVERY SINGLE MYTH CHARACTER IN THE GAME and re-rendered all the 3d models in much higher quality resolutions.

Basically, we've already MADE "Myth HD". Now we want the code, so we can REALLY open myth's capabilities up.

Michael Finley: https://www.facebook.com/michael.finley.374
Marlaina Thresa (his girlfriend): https://www.facebook.com/marlaina.ulmer/

Phelot

Arcane

Joined October 2012

Do you know if Michael Finley is his real name?

oogaBooga states in that comment that he isn't the head guy, that is "Michael" who I guess was in the vid.

I was involved in MANY successful, released projects including my own personal list of maps i've submitted, along with being on things like the Portal of Sigma, project, which if it had been released would have been right up there with Marathon:EVIL and Marathon:RED, and Tempus Irae.

:lol: "My mod would have been awesome if I released it..."

Well, I'd say these are definitely guys from the community since they know a lot of Bungie nuances and mod history. Weird.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
oogaBooga states in that comment that he isn't the head guy

https://www.facebook.com/michael.finley.374/posts/105976766229300

Hello everyone, I have a big announcement to make:

Friends, family members, casual acquaintance, and every other type of all-around awesome person in my life: The thing I've been telling you about forever has finally happened.

The MythStarter Kickstarter project has now gone live. This is the real deal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythstarter/mythstarter

We (our development team) have 15 days to see if there is enough interest out there in reviving this amazingly fun, physics-heavy war game for people to donate to the cause of making a new one.

Oh, so I want money, do I? Well before you stop reading, I implore you to read the next part, it's really kind of cool (it's my favorite part):

If you decide to donate money to help get a new Myth game made, but we don't reach our goal: Guess what happens? You get COMPLETELY REFUNDED. That's how all kickstarter funding projects work.

That's right, nobody loses money if we fail to reach our funding goal. You decide you can spare 10 bucks to bring Myth back to life, and it works, then you RULE and already paid for your copy of the game. But if we fail? You get your 10 bucks back. It's really that simple.

I've been passionate about this game since I learned you could modify it, and it's been a huge part of my creative expression - I've learned new things, developed skills and made things that are higher quality than the game itself was when it came out. Things that make it feel almost like a whole new game already. Imagine what we could do with a couple professional coders and artists on our team as well!

There's a whole community of modders, developers artists and coders that aren't just passively interested in the game - they've been playing it and making stuff for it for so long that there's nobody better on the planet to hire

The skills and eagerness to make it have been there forever, and our core team of developers already know literally every single person in the modding community personally, and many we have worked with on numerous, successful projects.

community who are esteemed peers and would JUMP at the chance to add their already vast knowledge of the game to benefit the game's quality, and quicken the development cycle by using people already familiar with the game.

So this is my big gambit. Tell anyone you think might be interested or nerdy enough to like computer strategy games, but I wouldn't ask (or want) you to just blatantly spam the link everywhere. I want to be respectful, because I know this isn't everyone's agenda, but for me this is literally my dreams made manifest. I know I can do this.

Thank you for reading, and wish us luck!!!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why did they go with 15 days instead of a month like all the other big kickstarters have?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What does Blackspace have in common with Homeworld?

It really seems space games are the smallest of niches.
Skyjacker looked/looks pretty cool and it still failed.

I'm not a space games guy at all. Not because I don't like them, more like I haven't had the opportunity to try them.
When I was younger and played more games, and I had access to lots of different games, the only space game I recall playing was Descendant... and oh man... I didn't like that at all.
I was/is an FPS to me.

But Nexus. Nexus is a RTS. I don't know why it is failing so bad with the Planetary Annihilation with those cartoony gfx won the internet big time.
- oh wait...
Cartoon gfx and banging planets explain its. And maybe Total Annihilation explains it too.
IMHO, Blackspace has nothing in common with Homeworld, apart from the fact that it happens in space. Skyjacker is one of the saddest stories on KS. They tried twice and couldn't make it even though they had a working demo and everything looked quite promising. Their failing was that they asked too much. That might have been the amount they needed to get everything done exactly the way they planned, but it was too much for their audience. The same happened to Blackpace and will happen to Nexus 2. All these games have too small niches of audience for the amount of money they ask.

Planetary Annihilation is building on a much larger Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander community. Also, it got that much money on the fact that it is much closer to a classic RTS than Nexus 2, so generalist RTS players were much more likely to pledge. Nexus 1 was already a very niche game in the RTS world, with its very peculiar controls. Compare that with a much more classic RTS like TA/SupCom, and you get why PA got a ton of money while Nexus 2 is going to fail. I won't even go into how the PA KS campaign was planned and run beautifully, probably the best run campaign I have seen yet while the Nexus 2 campaign was relatively lackluster.

"Descendant"? Never heard of it... or do you mean Descent? Which one? Descent 1? Descent 2? Descent 3? Descent: Freespace? You are aware that the next step in that family tree is Freespace 2, one of the most beloved space sims ever, right?

Phelot

Arcane
Who knows. The head guy is likely a dude that goes by "Renwood" who was banned and shamed from numerous Myth community sites for allegedly selling Myth 2 assets that he changed or something. Definite scam.

Phelot

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Who knows. The head guy is likely a dude that goes by "Renwood" who was banned and shamed from numerous Myth community sites for allegedly selling Myth 2 assets that he changed or something. Definite scam.

Interdasting... http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4995

and "oogabooga" seems to be defending him in that thread. Sock puppet?

I don't think so. Apparently they are IRL friends.

You're right, I think: https://www.facebook.com/michael.mars.395

"Myth 4 The Wind Age" Development project as Digital Peaches Productions
2005 to present
A fan/community created very high quality production to show off the potential for a revamp of Bungie software's Myth franchise and new line of products. Including but not limited to a line of action figures, a new mythy soundtrack and tons of new units and levels. Not to mention a very large and versitile selection of all new weaponrey modeled better then any other video game I have ever seen.

:lol:

Word about this project is starting to spread to Myth forums. You'd better go out and warn them.

Phelot

Arcane
I have been. The Myth forums and Bungie community outside of Bungie.net is pretty dead, though.

PosledniKovboj

Scholar
The more I view that retardo project, the more annoyed I get. RPGCodex funding effort to raise 3.50 anyone?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Looks like Haunts: The Manse Macabre is in a spot of trouble.

Sorry for the long delay in updates, and special apologies to those who have emailed or commented in the last week and to whom I haven’t yet replied. As I’m sure many of you suspect, things haven’t been going well for Haunts and Mob Rules Games. I am still determined to get the game out, but I no longer have any way of knowing when and how that will happen.

The principal cause for our dire condition is that there are no longer any programmers working on the game. Our lead programmer, Jonathan, was always going to move on to something else after a year or so. We had hoped that he would be able to work on the game in his spare time, but now that he’s going back at Google, he has told us that his spare time will be very minimal and not enough to make progress on the game. Our second programmer, Josh, has quit the project entirely to take another job. He does not want to work on the game in his spare time.

The game as it stands has all the systems in place, but there are a lot of bugs. Knowing Jonathan would be leaving, the plan had been to get online play working and release the Beta, with Josh working to make the levels run in online play and scripting the AI for the single player versions of those levels.

Unfortunately, getting online play working took three times longer than estimated (instead of the twice as long as estimated I’d been counting on). It also required making adjustments to programming for all the levels, even when they’re not being played online. With no one left on the project who is capable of implementing those changes and debugging them during testing, the game is in a very patchwork state. In some cases, levels that once worked fine now have serious issues. Fixing those issues would require fixes both to the level programming and the core system programming, working in tandem.

But now it’s just me and Austin. Austin has finished up the art content for the initial release of the game, but he’s not a programmer. I’m not a programmer either. Although I know some small amount about how the level programming works, I’m not capable at this point of fixing the bugs I know about. This is further complicated by the fact that the game is written in the Go programming language, which is not widely used, limiting the pool of potential new programmers.

[...]

Read more here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2066438441/haunts-the-manse-macabre/posts/331425?ref=activity

Big shame, though this is one of those unforeseen circumstances that occurs in the development process, rather than reckless expenditure on retarded shit. Good thing I only pledged $5, but I hope they pull through this mess nonetheless.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:roll: I think for these small projects, the project lead MUST be a programmer himself. It's too risky to rely on anybody else.

almondblight

Arcane

Renwood later broke the agreement when he used the models without permission in his mod, The Wind Age.

I always thought something was fishy when he kept saying his Wind Age project was "Myth 4".

Edit: Oh, made a pretty pathetic pitch to the community:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6085

If you have even the slightest bit of love for Myth, I hope you'll support us. The next video update will contain gameplay footage, project and budgeting information, as well as interviews with the us, the team.

Make no mistake, this is no power-grab. If this works, who exactly do you think is going to be making this game?

We'd hire skilled people from the myth community regardless of past interactions.

This is a time where we're asking people to forget their preconceptions, and base this solely on WHETHER OR NOT THEY WANT A NEW MYTH GAME MADE.

It's not about Me. It's not about Renwood. it's not about Road. It's about MYTH.

Basically, this is a mod that you are calling Myth 4 and you want $450,000 for it. You haven't told us anything about the licensing issues other than that you forgot to mention them in your initial pitch video, but will be sure to let us know in future vids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom