Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

kickstarter you most regret (giving money to)

most regret

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Underworld Ascendant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Banner Saga

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Bard's Tale IV

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Star Citizen

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 34 28.8%

• Total voters

Suicidal

Arcane
None. Because they haven't been released yet so I wouldn't know.

A user named cat

Broken Age put me off from ever backing any KS. The biggest gaming dupe since Todd Howard and radiant AI. Poor gullible bastards. Suckered by Pizza the Hut and reeled in by his old school adventure game pitch, only to get something designed for his RPG Watch daughter who probably hates him deep down and will grow up to be a transgender bodybuilder in hopes of not falling down the same dark path as papa donut chins Schafer.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I backed all of those games beside Star Citizen and I only regret giving money to PoE.

With every Kickstarter I was fully aware the game could suck (W2 and PoE sucked big time) but that was the risk I was willing to take.

I regret giving money to PoE due that tranny poem controversy, since I dont want to support cucks who bend over the moment someone look at them in a wrong way.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, what happened to Star Citizen that made people hate it so much?

Nothing. Give them more money. Spend thousands of real $$$$ on virtual spaceships that will totally exist because the game will totally exist and be awesome and worth it.

Crying-Laughing-Meme-10.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Of that list the Banner Saga, because I enjoyed it the least. I don't really *regret* any of them though, since in my mind all of it serves the higher purpose of increasing the probability we'll get good games in the future -- although Avellone and friends having been playing awesome RPGs since the 80s, the majority of the talent grouped beneath them grew up on action games and tablet crap. It takes a long time to raise a new generation of developers to RPG understanding.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would say ...[fuck, I don't even the remember name, wait a sec, I check my email.....ok, done] Asylum, from Agustin Cordes, the developer of Scratches. This game is the very definition of vaporware, it is in development since 2013 January, and after 3 years, all they could show is some alpha videos and screenshots. I'm sure if they could finish the game, it would be an awesome adventure game, but they are simply not able to finish the damn game. They changed the engine for whatever reason at midpoint, and they are barely doing any updates.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
PE.. since it is the only game I KS and has been released. DOS2 and BT aren't out yet. But, PE was a passably fun game but certainly not worth the amount I gave it to it. I ahven't bothered with the expansions. That's how lacklustre it is.

Siobhan

Arbiter
I only backed SR Hong Kong --- after being positively surprised by Dragonfall, which was a huge improvement over Dead Man Switch. The thing is, the whole process turned out to be such a pain that it permanently soured me on both Kickstarter and the game (still haven't played it): email here, email there, create an account with some stupid extra service to get your gog key, pick your digital extras before this deadline or you'll never get anything, and so on. All I wanted is to support a promising developer and find a gog key in my mailbox a few weeks later, instead it turned into a multi-week stream of minor to major annoyances. At least I didn't get any robocalls from them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That one adventure game, that had some really fucking cool art, and we even did a news post for it. I forget the name of it, and then we discovered the guy developing it was never going to release it at all, and make some pseudo updates once in a while to keep the illusion he is still going to make the game. Grimiore will be released before this game will... :M

Lesson learned. I didn't give him that much money thankfully.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only backed Tides, so I'm yet to regret it, I don't follow the development at all.
I almost backed PoE, so close call there.

That Which Sleeps. I'd sworn off video game kickstarters but I tricked myself into giving them one more chance because they supposedly had a demo ready to be shipped to the backers.

Ivan

Arcane
BROKEN AGE
first ks backed still haven't received my swag
or or or or
Mighty Number Cuck

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I sort of regret backing Hero-U. Not because it's vaporware - I don't regret giving the Coles money per se - it's just that taking the home equity loan was such a terrible decision on their part I wish their Kickstarter hadn't been funded in the first place and they just abandoned the idea of making a new game - or gone with a retro style a la Wadjet Eye.

Also where the hell are my Frontiers, SpaceVenture and Barkley 2.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Elite Dangerous, because they changed the game shortly before release, and it was looking promising up to that point. The cynical side of me says they realised there was no way they were going to make money from a single player game and went full MMO without the massivity. I also spent money on a Saitek X52Pro, which is now sitting around unused, a sad reminder of my folly.

Star Citizen, for obvious reasons. I'm apparently not a learning animal.

Of RPGs I don't really regret backing any, although I do regret giving Doublebear so much of my money. I backed Shroud of the Avatar as soon as it went live to get one of the cheap tiers but pulled out within a couple of hours once I'd read the pitch.

Also, Broken Age. The only positive thing to come from this is Thimbleweed Park, and the fact that I'm never giving Tim Schaefer another penny.

Beastro

Arcane
Haven't KSed anything myself, I stick to increasingly less EE games. At least with them you get something and even my choice in those at least nets me some small bit of fun in some that most likely will go no where, let alone deliver their promises, like Project Zombie.

The one I'm the most sour about is Terreria though, not because it was abandon (got my moneys worth from the bundle I got it in), but the way the idiot who made it approached and conveyed its abandonment.

Who the hell added Tropes vs. Women in Video Games? That's not a video game and it doesn't deserve any recognition. Please remove it. It makes the poll seem like some dumbass gamergate shit. (nice passive aggressive way to try and discredit this thread so you can send it to retardoland)

It's the Kingcomrade option.

I'd think that choice would be apparent by now for a forum vet without it needing to be added in in brackets anymore.

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Sadly, Broken Age. Tim dangled the promise of Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle in front of me and I shoved my money across the table.

Related: I regret NOT giving to Serpent in the Staglands.

DOS2 was my last KS, I will never back a KS again.

Turjan

Arcane
I backed 4 games from that list, and I cannot really say that any of those disappointed me, because I didn't really have any expectations. I thought of it as kickstarting a new RPG renaissance, and in that sense, it certainly succeeded, no matter what I think of the actual products.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I sort of regret backing Hero-U. Not because it's vaporware - I don't regret giving the Coles money per se - it's just that taking the home equity loan was such a terrible decision on their part I wish their Kickstarter hadn't been funded in the first place and they just abandoned the idea of making a new game - or gone with a retro style a la Wadjet Eye.

Also where the hell are my Frontiers, SpaceVenture and Barkley 2.

I regret backing the same Kickstarter, I backed at the minimum level, I just have a feeling it'll be terrible if it ever gets released. Two possibly homeless (one near blind) senior developers is the crowning turd in the whole debacle, it's Indie game meets Requiem for a Dream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom