Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed King Arthur II : Katawa Legions

1. Give the horse, if they don't like it, they can always eat it.
2. There's no good reason to turn down loot that I can see.
3. Even if the Brigantes are raided later, helping them now might well delay any retaliation, so free them.
4. Why waste the manpower? Place some bets instead.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sorry for the delayed updates, there's been some delays with the Soulstorm action and Majestic Effect going on.

Chapter 13: More Adventures!

The Sentinels situation have reached its conclusions...

sep.jpg
Tell them the location, and demand politely for a share.
01.jpg

Our emissary returns with a banner. A pity only Warlords can wield banners.

02.jpg

sep.jpg
As for the gift, inform Quintus family of our need of their finest steed. They would be honored to supply us with one.

03.jpg

leg.jpg
It went smoothly, milord. What of the Brigantes prisoners? Do you wish to purchase them?
sep.jpg
No. Question them, and let the Messalas buy them.

04.jpg

ED: There doesn't seem to be a lead-in to this quest result at the moment. I'll keep track.

05.jpg

leg.jpg
Milord, our relations with the Sentinels are improving so rapidly, they're basically ready for an alliance.
sep.jpg
What benefit could we gain from this?
leg.jpg
Aside from Quintus family, they are also able to hold annual military training with our army.
sep.jpg
Interesting. I'll make my decision soon enough. Now, I believe we have an arena tournament to attend.

06.jpg

sep.jpg
I wish to sign up some of my soldiers to fight in the arena.
07.jpg

sep.jpg
Best to investigate this shady dealer...
08.jpg

sep.jpg
What kind of assistance?
09.jpg

sep.jpg
Then I would require your assistance. Here is the gold. Not a word of this. We've never met.
snake.jpg
What's that? I don't know any public baths around here...but I know a good drink. Heh heh. Thanks for the gold.
sep.jpg
Time to register my soldiers...
10.jpg

sep.jpg
I will enlist three of my soldiers. Here are the gold.

The scribe writes down the names. When he is ready, he politely sends you to the arena servants waiting outside the hall. They will tell you how you can place your bets.

sep.jpg
More bets? Do tell.
11.jpg

scribe.jpg
In addition, you can bet on the victory of any other gladiator, just like every spectator does. If he wins all of his duels in a row, your winnings will be fivefold.
sep.jpg
That's nice. I'll place a bet on my best warrior.

Your third soldier is the best warrior among your legionaries. Besides, he used to be a gladiator before your father freed him. However, that was quite some time ago, and years of battlefield service may have dulled his skills in arena combat.

sep.jpg
Might not be a good idea to bet on him winning. I'll stake on him winning three victories.

After you've made your bets, you climb the stairs to the seats where the nobles of Eboracum are sitting, gossiping and scheming, while they are waiting for the games to begin. The comfortable seats of the uppermost tier are all occupied. The seats below are also populated with commoners. It's a typical windy and wet day, so the nobles enjoy the protection of the canopies and their thick furs. Servants hustle among the rows - they arrange the bets.

sep.jpg
Time to take a seat and watch the fight.

12.jpg

The fight in the arena resembles a battle; almost 150 contestants duel in pairs in the wet sand. You find it difficult to estimate the odds. You could point out at least a dozen excellent warriors. Finally you notice the two gladiators who seem to be a match for all the others.

13.jpg

scribe.jpg
Any bets, milord?
sep.jpg
I place a wager on the uninjured gladiator.

The rounds are lasting longer and the duels getting more spectacular. At the end of the third round your weakest warrior falls to the ground and makes the gesture of defeat, but the other two are still standing, just like your two favorites, the injured and the uninjured soldier.

sep.jpg
Looks like my bets are still alive...

14.jpg

sep.jpg
Damn, it wasn't a complete loss! But is it enough to cover my losses?

15.jpg

scribe.jpg
Congratulations, milord. Here is your gold.
16.jpg

sep.jpg
Not bad at all.
leg.jpg
Milord, I'm sorry to interrupt your celebration. But spies in the Quintus territory have started the investigation into the plague, do you wish to lead it?
17.jpg

sep.jpg
Yes. Take me there now.
18.jpg

leg.jpg
We'll need permission from the Quintus family...wouldn't want to risk their wrath over our trespass.
sep.jpg
Agreed. Let's ask for permission first.
19.jpg

sep.jpg
Horatius. I am here to investigate the recent plagues in your lands.

You tell Horatius Quintus all you know. Horatious Quintus becomes very solemn. Finally he gives you his permission to enter his lands to pursue this investigation. You'll be accompanied by one of his experienced legionaries, who will serve as your guide and probably as your guard too.

sep.jpg
Thank you. We'll take our leave now.
20.jpg

sep.jpg
Examine the corpses.
leg.jpg
They all died from the same disease...but I've no idea what it could have been.
sep.jpg
No incriminating evidence...
leg.jpg
Wait, there's something...

You find nothing that could tie them to anyone, although there is a strange-looking object on one of the bodies. It's the handiwork of the barbarian arcanists they call wizards.

sep.jpg
Is this one of the Pict's conspiracies against New Rome? Check the wagons.
21.jpg

leg.jpg
Milord! Footsteps! What should we do?
sep.jpg
Hide!
22.jpg

sep.jpg
They must be here to take away the precious cargo.
leg.jpg
How can you be so sure? They burn the corpses - perhaps they were simply preventing the plague from spreading.
sep.jpg
Or removing evidence. TO ME MY LEGIONARIES! SULLA VICTUS!
23.jpg

sep.jpg
Caracallas. As expected.
24.jpg

sep.jpg
Come. Let us report to Lord Horatius. He will deal with the Caracallas accordingly.
25.jpg

sep.jpg
I am very disappointed with this outcome.. Very, very disappointed.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, a strategy/text adventure hybrid. Me likes. I'll probably give it a try myself at some point.

Keep up the good work, RK47-kun!
:thumbsup:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
King Arthur 1 was the same, but an altogether more bug-free and seemingly enjoyable venture. I'd recommend you look into that first Bee. :salute:

Yup, this. King Arthur was a more balanced game all around, and better in most aspects, too. But KA2 is also really good, even if ridiculously bugged - the amount of bugs in the non-patched version is simply tremendous. Missing models, missing art, non-functioning features, broken quests, etc (which, according to word on the street, stops being an issue with a legit patched version, but y'know) are commonplace. KA1 vanilla also had a handful of bugs, but none of them were so glaring and gamebreaking.

Still, both good games. Rough diamonds worth looking into.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 14: Another Day in the Senate

sep.jpg
We should take all measures to tighten our relations with the Sentinels. Their knowledge against the arcane would serve us well in the coming battles. Prepare all the treaties to be signed.
leg.jpg
At once, Lord Septimus!
01.jpg

The treaty was concluded without mishaps. The Sentinels even extends an offer to Septimus himself.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

sep.jpg
I've made my decision. I wish to improve my anti-magic defenses.
05.jpg

A season later, the Sulla army joins the Sentinels in a military exercise.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

leg.jpg
Should we opt for a general exercise for the whole army, Milord?
sep.jpg
No. I feel like training an elite division. Send two of my best cavalry for intensive training. I want them to strike harder in our next battle.
leg.jpg
It shall be done.
10.jpg

Satisfied with the results of their training, Septimus Sulla returns with his battered army into his home province to replenish his forces.

11.jpg

A season passes, and the rogue knight forces from the south passed through the northern Rome territory unchallenged. They'll reach the other side of the Wall, soon. What does this entail?

12.jpg

sep.jpg
Can we pursue them?
leg.jpg
Afraid not, milord. It's autumn. Winter will soon be upon us. But I've a more pressing matter for you, the Senate has summoned you to discuss an urgent matter.

13.jpg

sep.jpg
Let us leave at once.
14.jpg

Horatius Quintus is a stubborn, proud military man. He appreciates determination, but loathes subtleties and quibbles. Cornelius Severus, on the other hand, is a slick, amoral politician, who values clever maneuvering and compromise, otherwise it's hard to earn his trust.

Pompeius Messala's political aim is to keep his lands sheltered from anything that happens elsewhere. Apart from the occasion when he's pursuing his agenda, he doesn't participate in debates. Ovidius Caracalla, on the other hand, has dedicated his life to protecting Eboracum.

leg.jpg
Milord, we should take this opportunity to strengthen our ties with the Quintus (73) and Severus (50) family. The better our relations are, the more likely they will accept our proposal for a permanent alliance under the Sulla in the future.
sep.jpg
Indeed. Let us listen to what they say first...

15.jpg

16.jpg

leg.jpg
We should highlight certain points to sway the discussion to our desired outcome..particularly one that pushes us closer with Severus.
17.jpg

sep.jpg
Hmm, then we should aim to repeal the law. Which point should we highlight?

Next, is the matter of the Sentinels.

18.jpg

leg.jpg
Our relations have never been better. The Caracallas have much to fear though: they themselves are 'scholars' of the dark arts. Should they overstep their bounds, the Sentinels would surely step in and meddle in their studies.
sep.jpg
Which is what we would want the Sentinels to do.
leg.jpg
Making concessions to the Sentinels here would make the Sulla family appear 'weaker' here, Milord. But it is your choice. Just remember, some family dislike weakness.

The third point to discuss.

19.jpg

sep.jpg
He trespassed into our lands. The Malahauts have no right to demand anything.
leg.jpg
Indeed...but be aware the Severus is fond of the Malahauts as trading partners. The Quintus family seems anxious about this matter as well, perhaps there is something personal at stake here.

Three decisions to make. Choose!

Erebus

Arcane
- Let's show the Messalas that tradition can be double-edged by reminding them that the security of these roads is their responsibility.

- Negociating an agreement with the Sentinels won't offend them or make us look too weak.

- Let's ask for Servius in exchange. The queen probably won't mind much, Quintus will like it and the Caracallas already hate us.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
- Let's show the Messalas that tradition can be double-edged by reminding them that the security of these roads is their responsibility.

- Negociating an agreement with the Sentinels won't offend them or make us look too weak.

- Let's ask for Servius in exchange. The queen probably won't mind much, Quintus will like it and the Caracallas already hate us.

This

Lindblum

Augur

This

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

This.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 15: Be a Bro

01.jpg

sep.jpg
If we truly respect traditions, then I suppose the full blame should belong to the family that owns the roads, no? The Messalas themselves were responsible for the security of the traders.
02.jpg

sep.jpg
Don't you see? The law is obsolete! Traditions that don't make sense needs to be disposed of, and improved upon. I cannot in good conscience let my good friend Cornelius Severus bear all the losses in this venture through no fault of his own.

After the long debate the Senators prepare to vote with you supporting the decision to repeal the law. Finally Cornelius Severus has won. He smiles smugly, when the decision is made public; the Senate has repealed the law in question.

leg.jpg
Well done, milord.
03.jpg

sep.jpg
The Sentinels were merely assisting us in cleansing the realm of dark magic. I propose we negotiate with them on the boundaries they can enter into our realm.

The Senate is divided. There are plenty of arguments for and against the peaceful solution, and finally the Senators postpone the entire debate for a later session.

leg.jpg
A pity we could not convince the majority to see our point of view. Let's do better on the third one.
04.jpg

sep.jpg
We shall not submit to their demands, however, I propose a fair exchange: A certain Servius Caracalla, a man who is responsible for the killing the Quintus patriarch. My spies have uncovered his hiding place in the Malahaut territory. I'm sure the Senate can see the value of this exchange...

Cornelius Severus supports your proposition, which is enough to gain the majority of the votes needed to open negotiations with Malahaut. That seems to conclude the matters for this session.

05.jpg

sep.jpg
How'd it go?
leg.jpg
The Quintus family doesn't seem to take much notice of our actions. If anything, I'd say you've garnered quite a bit of respect from the Severus. Need I mention that you've successfully annoyed both the Caracallas and the Messalas?
sep.jpg
A traitor and a pompous arse? Hardly a threatening combination. Quintus is the sword, while Severus is the tradesman. An alliance with both of these houses would prove more beneficial in the long run.
leg.jpg
Indeed. The proposals between a joint study between Severus scholars and ours have arrived. Please take a look...

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

ED: Increasing Lore would enable us to unlock additional research option, but at the moment our gold supply is 6500. It's best to keep things on hold. So no voting will take place on this issue.

sep.jpg
I'll keep this proposal in mind. Our treasury is a bit tight at the moment.

A winter passes, and the Emperor revisits Septimus in his dreams...

09.jpg

sep.jpg
I shall remain vigilant.

Septimus improves the Winds of the North skill.
11.jpg

Also, a Scriptorium is constructed at Eburos to increase our Kingdom Lore rating.
12.jpg

leg.jpg
Sir, a rather strange message arrived this morning...
sep.jpg
From who?
leg.jpg
I...cannot say for sure.
10.jpg

sep.jpg
Interesting. The Southern knights stir once more. Mmmh. No matter. We'll be ready.
leg.jpg
Also, reports from the Messala front indicates that we've been excluded from any joint enterprises...relations are very strained at the moment.
13.jpg

sep.jpg
No big loss. Knowing Pompeius, it's probably another slave trade.
leg.jpg
But there is a rather interesting proposal from them, pertaining to a loan...
sep.jpg
Eh?
14.jpg

sep.jpg
How much gold do we have?
leg.jpg
Around 6,500.
sep.jpg
And how much are we lending out?
leg.jpg
Three thousand.
sep.jpg
I don't know...can the Messalas even afford to pay us?
15.jpg

leg.jpg
If you are in doubt, perhaps your should deal with the merchants instead.
sep.jpg
The Severus family?
16.jpg

leg.jpg
Yes, apparently, they too, are interesting in taking out a loan. They're hard to bargain with, but I'm sure they're more reliable than the decadent fools. Of courses, if money is tight...then we can refuse both offers. But I know not the consequences.
17.jpg

sep.jpg
Well...let me think on that.
leg.jpg
And another thing: Cornelius Severus has given you his blessings.
sep.jpg
For what?
leg.jpg
Why for his cousin's hand in marriage to you! Our relations have never been better! Quite an opportunity.
18.jpg

sep.jpg
Gemina? Isn't she seeing a Caracalla? Hmm...
19.jpg

leg.jpg
It's not a must... but the option is there.
sep.jpg
I'll need some time to decide.. Leave me be.

So. Two decisions:
1. Who do we lend the money to?
2. Do we want to marry into the Severus family? Or not?

GreyViper

Prophet
Frome wise men come dire warnings. Marry a new wife and forgett your dead one, othervise you will be united with your dead wife one way or another. Also invest into damage AOE spell because there will come a important fight where when victory seems most certain is the doom lurking near unseen.

Lindblum

Augur
1. Severus- Short term
2. Decline- Men of war and merchants just don't seem to match.

lightbane

Arcane
Severerus- Short term. Then, marry the girl (use your "dark influences" to dispose of the Caracallas' lackey. Permanently).

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Messala will probably turn on you if you lend them money, but Severus seems like a bro, lend him some dough with 30% interest.
As for the marriage, go for it, publicly humiliating your opponent. :smug:

Erebus

Arcane
30% interest for only 4 turns seems like a good deal.

We should pick our new wife carefully. I think better choices will present themselves in the future.

kazgar

Arcane
2k to win over the wife after a 3k loan with a total of 6.5k seems irresponsible.

is there a timer on the wedding event? can you wait until after the short term loan, you'll get 900 gold out of it.

RK47

Patron
No time limit. We can put it on hold. Even the Messalas are still offering a marriage.

Erebus

Arcane
Let's be cold and logical : marrying a woman who's deeply in love with another man could be embarrassing... and there's also the possiblility that she might betray us to the Caracallas in the future.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 16: Vigilance is All

sep.jpg
Give the loan to Severus. They pay off faster. At 30% rate, as a sign of good faith.
01.jpg

That summer, the Sulla army rises to the challenge of the Marauders from the south.

02.jpg

However, disaster struck during the battle, leading to a loss of a whole cavalry unit.

03.jpg

The pay off however, is a chest full of gold (4000) and a flaming sword of destruction, obviously magical.

04.jpg

Septimus realizes that perhaps the Roman Cavalry isn't as heavily armored as their southern counterparts. It's probably best if he focuses on heavy infantry and count on his Legionaries as the spearpoint of his army.

05.jpg

That night, he dreams of Emperor Hadrian, the Emperor speaks harshly...

06.jpg

That autumn, the Sulla legionaries trained with the Quintus family. Hardening their resolve and defensive prowess.

07.jpg

Hadrian's words rang in Septimus' mind when the news of a crisis in the barbarian Kingdom of Malahaut reaches him.

08.jpg

There are Roman families in Eboracum that have been secretly participating in this conflict: the Quintus family supports the rebels, while the Messalas sided with the Queen. Meanwhile, the Severus family strives to restore the peace that will benefit trade. You need to take sides now, as the man you need, Valerius, the former commander of the legions, is the prisoner of the queen.

sep.jpg
What are our options?
09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

This is an important decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom