Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed King Arthur II : Katawa Legions

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Chapter 25: The Ninth Legion

01.jpg

sep.jpg
Valerius are you ready?
val.jpg
As I'll ever be.
pub.jpg
I am very uneasy about this...
sep.jpg
We'll be fine. Come.

So there exists a world beyond this world, a land that the creatures of the Sidhe call Tir na Nog, where the secret pathways go. Between these two worlds, in the void of Samhain the fallen warriors wait for eternity. You know the location of a gate there, an ancient stone circle in the western marshland.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

sep.jpg
I have the Wreath of the Emperor! Obey!
05.jpg

pub.jpg
No. Septimus. I know it is our duty to protect Eboracum, but this is sacrilege.
val.jpg
I am somewhat uncomfortable with the notion of spirits possessing our soldiers. However, they are formerly the Ninth Legion - the best soldiers of the land. The gravity of the situation demands extreme measures. This is - acceptable to me.
pub.jpg
Valerius!
choice.jpg

Faced with a hard choice. Septimus must decide. Isn't this the reason why he came to this spirit realm in the first place?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I really liked the motif with the IXth Legion. A shame that in the full game its potential is so underused. But being a history freak, and especially liking the mysterious parts of it, like the disappearance of the Legion beyond the wall, I think I enjoyed the background of the campaign against Septimus the most in the entire game. A shame that the campaign itself is probably the worst in the entire game, though.

Also2, (achtung, sort of death metvlz)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There is an alternative. The legions have performed admirably, they are loyal and have shed their blood for the Sulla family and Eboracum willingly. But to have them be possessed if there is any alternative is unacceptable.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is an alternative. The legions have performed admirably, they are loyal and have shed their blood for the Sulla family and Eboracum willingly. But to have them be possessed if there is any alternative is unacceptable.
Have to agree here.

Lindblum

Augur

Loyalty is the purest form of power, Another Solution.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 26: In Life and Death

sep.jpg
You are right, Publius. Some things are sacred. I've nearly lost everything, my life, my estates, as well as my beloved. But now I have the whole Eboracum to protect. My heart is heavy. My conscience struggles from within. If my men aren't willing then I shan't force them. We will find another way to save Eboracum.
val.jpg
Septimus! Do you know what is at stake?! Publius! Surely you understand! It doesn't matter if we save our own Legion from this fate, only to fall under the sword of the savages! Eboracum will burn! This, is the lesser of the two evils.

Publius thought of Valerius words, his own heart in turmoil. Nothing seems right any more. He turned his gaze a the men he trained so hard. They returned his with a steely one. They nod without hesitation. There is no longer any doubt within him. For the greater good, the Ninth Legion will be reborn.

sep.jpg
I'm sorry, spirits.
dead.jpg
Septimussssss, will you release usssss?
sep.jpg
I-
05a.jpg

sep.jpg
No, Publius. They deserve more than this!
pub.jpg
That is because you asked the wrong men! SULLA LEGIONS! I ASK YOU: DO YOU WISH FOR THIS?!
leg.jpg
YES WE DO! Our lives for Eboracum! LONG LIVE THE LEGION!
05b.jpg

sep.jpg
What in the Emperor's name-
06.jpg

sep.jpg
It is done?
val.jpg
Come, Septimus. There's much to be done.
pub.jpg
Honor their sacrifice, Septimus. Fight well. Their lives are in your hands now.
07.jpg

08.jpg

That night, Septimus dreams...

08a.jpg

sep.jpg
So...I've sacrificed everything. There's nothing left.
09.jpg

sep.jpg
Do not toy with my feelings, Hadrian.
had.jpg
Why would I? I've given you the Ninth Legion, did I not? Trust in me and Eboracum shall return to its glory. Eboracum shall have its Empress.
sep.jpg
Where is she?

Hadrian smiles before answering.

had.jpg
Samhain.

The next morning...

10.jpg

sep.jpg
How did they know?
pub.jpg
What's been done cannot be undone.
sep.jpg
Come friends, I have another matter to attend to.
val.jpg
Hmm where to?
sep.jpg
A ruined abbey, I had a dream...
11.jpg

You've lost so much so much, and the most painful loss was the death of your dear wife, Naevia. Could it be true that she's trapped somewhere out of this world, in that cold place they call Samhain? You must return to the aze where the fallen warriors wait for eternity, undying and bitter.

12.jpg

val.jpg
This is quite ancient - perhaps there's some old artifacts and such here.
sep.jpg
Come, time's wasting. Let's find a way in.
13.jpg

14.jpg

sep.jpg
Search this place. There might be a clue.
pub.jpg
What exactly, are we looking for?
sep.jpg
You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

They rummage among the heaps of rubble and rotten wood, but you only find some tattered scrolls of vellum and torn manuscripts with illuminated pages, depicting knights and praying hermits. You decide to go down the stairs.

15.jpg

val.jpg
Look at all these books! Let's search through it.
sep.jpg
Alright. We can spare the time..

You inspect the old scrolls that cover a wide range of scholarly matters. You take away some maps and an obscure tract of the history of the Wall. However, you are beginning to realize that it could take weeks to search this place thoroughly.

sep.jpg
We've no time for this.
val.jpg
Suit yourself. I'm staying here.
sep.jpg
Alright. Be careful.
16.jpg

pub.jpg
Septimus, you've not told me what is it you are seeking.
sep.jpg
I'll know it when I see it.
17.jpg

The gate to the lower vaults open slowly, with loud creaks and groans. The noise echoes through the tunnels. The torches flicker in the musty draught.

sep.jpg
Come. This Vault is bigger than I thought. Spread out and search.
18.jpg

You reach a huge cavern with a familiar stone slab in the middle. You grab the crystal and let the blue light coalesce into the gate to Samhain.

pub.jpg
I'm not sure about this.
sep.jpg
Come on, Publius.

The group stepped through the opening.

19.jpg

pub.jpg
Where are we?
19a.jpg

pos.jpg
You're not like one of us....how did you get here?
pub.jpg
Back, demon!
sep.jpg
Easy, Publius. My name is Septimus, I seek a way into Samhain. Is this the place?
pos.jpg
Ah, I sense you are a mighty warrior. You are not in Samhain. I too, am seeking a way into Samhain. I see you do not have the army to defeat the guardians that protect the gates. I can lend you mine.
pub.jpg
I don't trust him.
sep.jpg
If we defeat the guardians, we can enter Samhain?
pos.jpg
I will not lie human. We too, seek to escape this place. Without each other's help, we are both trapped here, in the Void.
sep.jpg
Publius, he's right. We've no choice.
pub.jpg
The Ninth Legion, and now this.
pos.jpg
Come, humans. The battle awaits.
21.jpg

22.jpg

pos.jpg
How do you find my army?
sep.jpg
Terrifyingly strong.
pos.jpg
Let us battle, for our freedom!
23.jpg

The colossi protects the gates. Septimus grips his sword and closed his eyes momentarily.

sep.jpg
Naevia, I'm coming...
pub.jpg
All preparation ready, Commander.
sep.jpg
CHARGE!
24.jpg

The Colossi, despite being powerful, stood no chance against the demonic horde that Septimus commands. Overwhelmed, the massive guardians crumble to the ground.

25.jpg

The flying gargoyles proved to be slightly more troublesome.

pos.jpg
Argh, these blasted guardians won't come down and face us!
sep.jpg
Do you have archers?
pos.jpg
No. We could try magic...
sep.jpg
Invoke the shrines! Let them suffer the might of Jupiter!
26.jpg

The shrines worked its magic and the stone gargoyles crashed to the ground in a heap of rubble.

27.jpg

pos.jpg
A marvelous victory, human.
sep.jpg
Naevia...I'm coming.
28.jpg

29.jpg

sep.jpg
So it's true...
sep.jpg
I...I thought I've lost you...
lil.jpg
sep.jpg
Naevia?
29a.jpg

Septimus removes his helmet and walks closer.

Music: Friendship

his.jpg
Naevia, it's me, Septimus! Beloved, I've come to take you back!
lil.jpg
Septimus? Ah, Septimus...Sulla?

Septimus hugs her close. The chill against his flesh is nothing compared to the warm, hot tears flowing from his eyes.

his.jpg
NAEVIIAAAAAAA!
40.jpg

his.jpg
We're going home, beloved. I won't let it ever happen again. I...we'll have tea in the afternoon, just like those days. Naevia...I miss you so much...

ED: I teared a little bit. Sorry guys.

pub.jpg
Septimus - the spirits...they're..

Septimus dons his helmet once more, holding Naevia close to his side.

30.jpg

sep.jpg
I did not come for you. But if you desire to serve me, then swear your fealty to protect Eboracum!
31.jpg

pub.jpg
No. I think not.
sep.jpg
I...

Should Septimus let this demon escape?

lightbane

Arcane
:decline: of choices. I wouldn't sacrifice my army for a bunch of ghosts, no matter how good they are.
I say you allow the True Fae/demon thing to leave, what's the worst that can happen? :troll:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hahaha, nice Katawa Shoujo plug.

Anyway, fuck the possessed knight. No way he should be let out.

Also, did the whole choice to sacrifice troops for the 9th legion really turn into a BioWarean choice? Pretty lame.

Anyway, fuck the possessed knight. No way he should be let out.
I'm kinda getting a feeling that this decision will somehow affect Sheptimus' wife. E.g. preventing her from leaving if you don't let the knight out, as well. But eh, I could be wrong.

Let's find out, then. Leave the possessed to rot in the void.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 27: Together Forever

sep.jpg
I never made such a deal. Our alliance ends the moment we broke through the gates of Samhain. We're leaving. Goodbye.
pos.jpg
Why you-
00.jpg

pub.jpg
That was too close...let's leave this place. I've had enough excitement for today.
sep.jpg
Yes, Publius...Naevia. Come.
lil.jpg
00a.jpg

A season passed...
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

sep.jpg
I should be much happier. Naevia's back. In spirit that is. With Hadrian's help her spirit now resides in another body. My army is now stronger than ever. I've made them my Undying Legion. And yet...
01.jpg

sep.jpg
I know. My Emperor. I thank you for your aid.
had.jpg
Yes...now finish it, Septimus. Let the enemies of Rome suffer your wrath!
val.jpg
A message from the Sentinels, Septimus.
sep.jpg
What is it?
06.jpg

pub.jpg
They have no idea who they're messing with.
sep.jpg
Summon the spies.
07.jpg

val.jpg
The Sentinels have two armies. One is weaker.
08.jpg

val.jpg
The other resides in their fortress...led by three of their champions.
09.jpg

val.jpg
They could've matched us if we had not acquired the Undying Legion, but now...we should be able to sweep them aside.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

sep.jpg
I've heard enough. Ready the assassins. We'll bring down the Sentinel banners tonight.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sort of disappointed by the biowarean choice regarding the possession. Then again, with the title "Dead Legions", I probably shouldn't be too surprised.. :M

Monocause

Arcane
Funny thing about using patch access as a way to combat game piracy. I "demoed" dead legions and immediately quit because of horrible, horrible performance. I mean, the game was playable but at a framerate of ~20 and that is no fun in a real time strategy. Then I demoed the full game. While the performance is fine (much better than DL, runs just about like it should on my specs) the game was a buggy mess with the 1.02 patch available at your favourite retailer, to the point that there's a bug in which the UI scales extremely poor on 1280x1024 res, making the text so small it is a pain to read. Also, I have two dead (as in - not working at all) options in the resolution panel - 800x600 and 1024x820 (wtf?)

I read that one of the further patches fixed this, but - how the fuck do you let a bug like that through in a PC-only game? The Witcher 2 pre-patch was kinda annoying with its lack of support for 4:3 but it was perfectly playable in the faux-widescreen; at least it didn't cause eyestrain.

Now, if the patches were easily available I'd just fix it and continue "demoing" until deciding whether I'll make a purchase or not - and I'm not BSing you, I really do buy the games I like for some time now since I have the cash to do it. The case of KA2 just makes me think that if I had bought the game like a good consumer and saw this bug I'd be pissed something fierce; if that's the level of polish in this game I sure as hell ain't buying it until there's a pirate version ready and patched for me to make sure that there are no more 'surprises' like this in store.

Makes me wonder how many people lost interest in the game after seeing how much of a shambles the pirate version is.

Funny thing about using patch access as a way to combat game piracy.
There's just something wrong with the whole 'selling a buggy mess in order to wade off pirates' deal. Like buying a broken car at the official dealer and hearing: "Don't worry, we'll fix it in a month or two. The missing paint and minor parts of interior will probably take another half a year, but you'll be able to drive and see your money to be well spent."

X8xPO.jpg

RK47

Patron
Chapter 28: Sentinel's Final Charge

sep.jpg
What news, Valerius?
val.jpg
Our assassins have failed, milord.
01.jpg

sep.jpg
Did they manage to escape?
val.jpg
They were captured and executed.
sep.jpg
Good. It's a fate they deserved. Come. Let us finish this.

Music: Protectors of the Earth

02.jpg

03.jpg

sep.jpg
They have no archers. They must attack, or be destroyed.
pub.jpg
Poor bastards.
sep.jpg
Let us honor their deaths as a footnote to the birth of a New Rome, let us give them a good death!
04.jpg

sep.jpg
MY LEGIONS! Today the Sentinel comes out of their stronghold!
sep.jpg
We know our duty and we will do it! We fight for our honor as Dead Legions, Protectors of Eboracum, and we fight in the name of the Emperor!
sep.jpg
And if we die this day, we die in glory, we die heroes' deaths, but we shall not die, no! It is THEY who will taste death and defeat!
pub.jpg
Well said, Commander.
05.jpg

sep.jpg
The Heavy Cavalry from the flanks will pounce upon the enemies as they attempt to crash upon our impenetrable steel walls of legionnaires, the 'Codexus Eboracus' calls this maneuver - 'Majestic Butthurt'
06.jpg

sep.jpg
MY LEGION! THEY COME! SULLA VICTUS! FLAP THE MAJESTIC WINGS OF GLORY!
07.jpg

sep.jpg
AND AS THEY APPROACH, THEY WILL FALL TO OUR STEEL RAIN! ARROWS! RIGHT AT THEM!
08.jpg

sep.jpg
THEY CANNOT RETREAT, FOR THEY WILL FALL. THEY CANNOT ADVANCE, THEY CAN ONLY....
09.jpg

sep.jpg
- DIE!
10.jpg

sep.jpg
UNLEASH THE HIVER WITHIN! CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

pub.jpg
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

sep.jpg
OUR BATTLE BROTHERS HAVE FALLEN. HONOUR THEIR DEATHS WITH THE MILLION ARROWS SALUTE!
17.jpg

18.jpg

sep.jpg
THE FOOLS STILL ADVANCE! GRANT THEM THE DEATHS THEY WISH FOR! LEFT SIDE MY LEGIONS!
19.jpg

sep.jpg
You've done well, coming this far...
20.jpg

sep.jpg
...to be destroyed.
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

sep.jpg
Till none but the Dead remain...
24.jpg

With the defeat of the Sentinels, only two territories remain free of Rome's control. The Balor-held province and the Brigantes.

25.jpg

A season passes...

26.jpg

The Wolfbreed will be given a chance. They will replace the fallen cavalry unit.

27.jpg

sep.jpg
Only one remain...
val.jpg
Septimus, good news.
28.jpg

sep.jpg
What is this 'Deepwoods' she speak of?
pub.jpg
She said 'it is where her people can live in peace.'
sep.jpg
Peace, huh? Must be nice.

Septimus thoughts turns towards the spirit of Naevia who now inhabits a woman's body of his choice and wondered what it meant.

val.jpg
Should we accept?
29.jpg

'Majestic Offer' :lol:

Any known pros/cons to this? Without knowing any, I'm inclined to accept the deal, skip what could possibly be just another skirmish or two in the fight for the province and move on.

Erebus

Arcane
Sounds very fair. There may be a trap, but accepting still sounds safer than refusing.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That deal does sound good, and the Lady's been fair to you before. So, accept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom