Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame : Old Faith Complete

What will Arthur's Choice be?

• The Return of the Old Faith

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • The Spread of Christianity

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
I was referring to the Righteous/Tyrant difference.

Darth Roxor said:
Well, for example, elite rightful units are Golden Gryphons that you've seen in the last update. These bros have good both defence and attack, and are generally an all-around unit, but they can get some p. good offensive abilities, like armour piercing. Elite tyrant units, however, are Raven Guards, who are, quite possibly, the toughest unit in game. They might not have the best attack (still decent), but their defence rating can go to the stratosphere, not to mention some of the special abilities they can unlock, like sharing the damage a hero attached to the squad gets among the troopers. They make perfect bodyguards for both heroes and units like archers, or just stopping power against enemy units that would slaughter everything else in your army.
Thanks. Sounds alright. Not as different as I'd hoped, but it's something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Sounds alright. Not as different as I'd hoped, but it's something. Thanks.

Well, those are examples of just two units.

When going tyrant, you also get brigands/marauders/wasteland warriors that Sir Balin delivered after the last fight. You also get Lionhearts, who are some of the best mid-game heavy infantry in game (they can't compete with stuff like Sidhe warriors or Golden Gryphons, but they are a pretty effective backbone). Righteous king, however, gets access to stuff like sentinels (light infantry, not bad and cheap as hell), royal guards (best spearmen in game with excellent defence), marksmen (crossbowmen on steroids. Difficult to use 'cause they tend to do more friendly fire than damage against the enemy, but fuck me if they aren't excellent at stopping just about everything that gets in their range, including heavy cavalry). And probably 1 or 2 other units I've forgotten about.

Most of the units are also not only relevant to the Tyrant/Righteous axis, though. They are available to the combination of both morality and religion, so while golden gryphons/raven guards are related only to morality, you will also need some points in Christianity to get access to everything else.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
king.png
My knights, we have gathered here today to decide upon our next course of action. Brother, where is Sir Balin?

kay.png
I know not, milord. I do not see why you trusted that snake. He and that cursed sword is nothing but trouble.

king.png
Hush, brother. In these times of turmoil, even fallen champions have their uses.

kay.png
Your will be done.

king.png
I am glad you could join us, Sir Gareth. Please, do not hesitate to speak up if there is anything you would like to say.

gar.png
I have none, my King. My life is yours.

king.png
Very well, my knights. The Codex has spoken. Next season, we will march towards London.

kay.png
Are you sure of this, milord? Merlin would not be pleased. He is of the Old Ways...

king.png
Hush, brother. He is no longer with us. Ever since I've unleashed that magic...he has disappeared with nary a trace. We are on our own.

kay.png
Very well, we will have to march eastwards, then. *unrolls a map parchment* Through Wessex territories.

63.jpg

gar.png
If recent news could be believed, King Idres is at war against King Cynric. This gives us an opportunity to aid our ally and expand eastwards at the same time.

kay.png
Yes, but I've heard rumors of a banished noble who is plotting something in Wessex. He has invited us to his wedding, I say we accept and listen to his offer.

01.jpg

gar.png
I agree with Sir Kay. That prince might have hidden ambitions we could exploit.

king.png
It is agreed then, Sir Kay will be accompanied by Sir Gareth to the wedding...

The large wooden doors to the Round Table opened suddenly, a large figure, clad in black armor storms into the room.

bal.jpg
I tire of waiting! What of this cursed sword?!

kay.jpg
Show respect to the King, you cur!

king.jpg
It's alright, brother. If this cursed sword of yours is as powerful as you promised, then I see no loss in pursuing its power first. If this sword proved otherwise...then I shall have you executed.

bal.jpg
I accept your challenge! Sir Kay, let us go at once!

kay.jpg
....I hope you know what you're doing, Arthur.

king.jpg
You still have much to learn, brother.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 4: The Road to London

bal.jpg
Make haste! I want to unleash the power of this sword!

kay.jpg
Whatever, Sir Gareth, what are our options?

gar.jpg
Sir Kay, I know a group of druids to the north might be able to help us. But it seems out of the way. If we want to save time while making progress towards London as well, we should head eastwards towards a monastery. The monks there might be able to help in cleansing the sword.

bal.jpg
I care not, do what you will.

kay.jpg
Eastward it is, then. We shall stop at the Logres' Prince wedding along the way.

bal.jpg
Excellent, I could use some drinking and feasting!

kay.jpg
No, you will stay with the army outside the castle. I'll go. Sir Gareth, keep him in line.

gar.jpg
I shall try my best, Sir Kay.

02.jpg

03.jpg

kay.jpg
If your master is a prisoner, how could he marry someone at all?

04.jpg

kay.jpg
Tell me about Sir John.

05.jpg

kay.jpg
We have nothing to hide from. Announce them that an envoy of King Arthur is here!

06.jpg

kay.jpg
I should introduce myself to the lord, first. It's the right thing to do.

07.jpg

kay.jpg
Now I should talk to the Prince.

08.jpg

kay.jpg
Very well, I shall enjoy myself for a while, then.

09.jpg

kay.jpg
I've wasted enough time. Where is that messenger?

10.jpg

11.jpg

kay.jpg
I am the guest of the Prince. Let me enter.

12.jpg

kay.jpg
Tell me of your plans in Wessex.

13.jpg

kay.jpg
I do not like this arrangement. It gets us no closer to London and it forces us to capitalize on the chaos in Wessex, throwing us into an unnecessary war. What about the province of Logres? London lies there.

14.jpg

kay.jpg
This is much better. With the forces guarding London weakened, we can take them by surprise and seize London.

15.jpg

kay.jpg
I could sneak out...but why not try getting Sir John to take our side in the conflict?

16.jpg

kay.jpg
I promise King Arthur will turn Wessex into a Christian province under his rule.

17.jpg

kay.jpg
Excellent. It's time to march towards London while Logres is in turmoil.

The quest rewards us with our first Christian point. It's time to explain how the morality system works.

18.jpg

The bright mark is where our current morality lies. We've inched slightly towards Christianity while we've dipped into Tyrant further. More Christianity will push the mark further towards the right. Tyrannical actions will push it lower. Once sufficient points are reached to reach a requirement, the spell will be unlocked.

As you can see here, if you lean towards Old Faith, you will gain all the spells on the mid line while having access to the upper left area only if you are Righteous. Tyrannical Old Faith will gain the bottom left.

Christian spells does not require much morality to unlock and focuses more on support, defensive casting and close range destruction. Sample spells are Sanctuary to improve defense and remove fatigue, Bonds of Magic to prevent casting of spells, Mana Burn to drain and deal damage to heroes and Radiant Blast to smite enemies at close range.

The Old Faith leans towards ranged offensives. Poison is deadly effective at slowing down an enemy while dealing damage over time. The Sidhe Roads will enable teleportation in battlefield, trivializing the capture of VPs.

Now we move on towards the General effect, which affects how your kingdom is governed.
19.jpg

The first Tyrant general bonus is not yet activated. Corpse Robbing increases rewarded loot from victories and could be substantial since we'll be fighting a lot. Go deeper and you can do enforced recruitment to instantly complete the recruiting process within a season. Tyrant Christians gains quicker building time as well.

The Righteous King enjoys the fruits of prosperity only near the top of his benign rule, at 10% kingdom-wide income boost is significant, but requires maximum Righteousness. Forces of the Old Faith can count on better agricultural yields in their lands, and increased bonuses to their heroes' gained experience.

We move on to the unit aspect of Morality.
20.jpg

We've not unlocked anything, but as I've mentioned before, Tyrant units are more offensive oriented. Brigands packs more punch than regular bowmen. Tyrant Christians also gains access to Wasteland Warriors and Marauders. Christian army have to wait much longer before they get their pay-off. Sangreal Knights, the heaviest knight unit in the game becomes available at maximum Christianity.

Before that, Tyrant Kings can gain the services of Lionhearts while Righteous Kings enjoy Sentinels and Royal Guards.

The Old Faith army is more finesse than power. They are divided into two: the Seelie is the Rightful Old Faith army. While the Unseelie makes up the Tyrant of Old Faith. The Unseelie units gains bonuses when fighting in the night, and possess greater archer attack capability than their Righteous brethren. What's more ridiculous is that their archers gets no penalty from fighting in the terrible weathers!

bal.jpg
So you've returned, how did it go?

kay.jpg
Our journey will be made easier.

gar.jpg
That's good news...let us go then!

kay.jpg
Wait, a messenger just arrived bearing a letter. It's from King Idres!

21.jpg

bal.jpg
:x
kay.jpg
We cannot miss this opportunity. To Dorset!

RK47

Patron
Chapter 4.5: Treason

22.jpg

23.jpg

kay.jpg
Tell me everything, King Idres.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

kay.jpg
Let's speak with Sir Temensis.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

kay.jpg
It cannot be helped, I should convince the other two to support Arthur if I want to get anywhere.

30.jpg

kay.jpg
Idres sent me to convince you to support Arthur, as the future king of Dorset.

31.jpg

kay.jpg
I should not threaten him, but a lump sum might not be enough to convince him....what if I were to promise you half of the province's annual trade income?

32.jpg

kay.jpg
Excellent, now I just have to convince Sir Edevo.

33.jpg

kay.jpg
Gold will only offend, what if I promise his daughter marriage into our court?

34.jpg

kay.jpg
Arthur would be pleased.

35.jpg

36.jpg

kay.jpg
The King is dead! Long Live King Arthur!

Lady Ygerne joins our court. We can marry her to one of our knights. She has no negative traits and is quite a beautiful lady. She is worth three loyalty points to the knight she marries. Her Just nature increases the loyalty of her husband's provinces by 3 and her stern rule brings 25% more gold from taxed income.

kay.jpg
Arthur, are you sure about this?

king.jpg
Yes.

kay.jpg
It shall be done, milord.

And so with the blessings of the King, Sir Balin weds Lady Ygerne. The provinces under his rule were relieved to hear she is a Just lady, and welcome the news. Sir Balin is granted additional lands to celebrate this occasion.
38.jpg

000.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
:thumbsup: This game sounds very interesting, I'll even consider buying it...

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

Sir Balin's marriage was held during autumn, the army rested during winter. We did not battle at all this year, only Sir Kay gained experience from the diplomatic coups he pulled.
39.jpg

I decided to invest a point into Victorious Army to grant 50% bonus to loot and morale gained after victories.

Prince Cedric's plot succeeded into drawing Logres at war with West Murcia and Wessex, severely weakening their own army.
40.jpg

With West Murcia being contested, our army can pass safely without repercussions, straight into London.

41.jpg

bal.jpg
Hail, Sir Kay, Sir Gareth.

gar.jpg
Why, this is a surprise.

kay.jpg
Someone is in a good mood.

bal.jpg
I just wanted to say I am itching for battle, it's been a year without one. It's just not the same.

gar.jpg
Which part of you itches after that wedding night?

bal.jpg

kay.jpg
We'll be there soon. Just another season...You can raise your sword, then.

gar.jpg
Hmm, another message from our King. Looks like something's happened in Deepwood.

42.jpg

kay.jpg
It can wait a season or two. London is our goal.

bal.jpg
Good, I'll go crazy if we go another year without shedding blood.

gar.jpg
She wasn't a virgin, then? :smug:

bal.jpg
Why you.... :x

kay.jpg
I think I'm starting to like you more, Sir Balin.

43.jpg

We finally arrived at the weakened garrison of London. There's not even a hero to lead the defenders!

44.jpg

There's only 3 VP. All grants Cloud of Arrows spell.
45.jpg

We won't try to win by VP. We'll crush them utterly. The cramped city quarters are dangerous to traverse in, thankfully there's a small patch of forest in there to ambush from.

46.jpg

The defenders of London rushes down from their King's stronghold.

47.jpg

The tight city quarters forces armies to traverse in closed formation. A deadly move when there's a Sage capable of casting Pool of Shadows.

48.jpg

gar.jpg
Drown in Darkness!

49.jpg

bal.jpg
BURN!

50.jpg

Sir Gareth unleashes another Pool of Shadows as they work around a city bend.

51.jpg

Sir Kay is ready to greet them after they emerge from the narrow streets.

52.jpg

kay.jpg
On my mark, FIRE!

53.jpg

They could not mount a meaningful resistance except a token arrow volley exchange or two. London is ours!

54.jpg

gar.jpg
Sir Kay, King Arthur has arrived.

kay.jpg
Let us go to his side.

From a distance they watched as their King lay Excalibur on an altar of stone. And to their amazement, it rose on its own! A magnificent glow of light envelopes the whole of London.

gar.jpg
Such magic!

kay.jpg
Let's get closer. Quickly!

A dome of light formed, and begin to construct shapes from stones.

56.jpg

Then, a flash of light blinded the three knights as they approached their King. When they opened their eyes, they were shocked by what they see...

57.jpg

king.jpg
Gentlemen, Camelot!

bal.jpg
I....I have no words.

kay.jpg
All hail, King Arthur! The Once and Future King!

gar.jpg
So the legends were true...

58.jpg

king.jpg
And the true battle begins now..

59.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A shame the Seeds of War thing can't be shown that well in a single 'playthrough'.

If you try to sneak out with the prince and fail, you'll have to burn down the whole castle (and declare war on the province iirc) to make a diversion.

Getting a civil war in the province makes everyone inside fight among themselves, while you can use the chaos and safely get through to London without invoking a war.

If you tell the prince to go fuck himself and report him to the lord of the castle, you'll get +++rightful and an option to buy 2 cavalry units for a fair price.

Not being able to sway Sir John makes you lose a % of your forces in battle, iirc. You also burn down the castle.

Black

Arcane
Damned morans who voted London (and thus christianity), like we need more dark ages :x

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

Two DLC Knights joins us upon establishing Camelot.
01.jpg

Sir Lucan the Warlord, and Sir Alymere, the Champion. This tempts beginners into forming another army to handle multiple threats at once. As good that may sound, it will bankrupt you without warning. Sir Lucan comes loaded with support skills and passive picks to province tax increases and has a specialty skill - Dragon Strike. No Warlords can have this. His starting unit is a Shieldbreaker, an upgrade to heavy footmen.

02.jpg

Sir Alymere is a Champion, his skill pick could be better, but his specialty skill Hold is a decent use. If it wasn't for the long cool-down. But 2 minutes of paralyzing is a godsend when facing fast cavalry charges.

DLC Traits are pretty average.
03.jpg

Sir Lucan's rule will earn the province 1.5x of food growth. He also improves recruitment time with his Ferocious nature. His Proud Leader trait grants him +2 loyalty when leading an army, but -2 when he doesn't.

04.jpg

Sir Alymere is a straightforward warrior, incapable of wise governing. Shrewd gives him more EXP from quests, Braveheart grants 25% bonus from battle EXP. Reckless and corrupted will severely reduce ruled provinces' income. So never, ever let him lead a province.

Sir Lucan's first assignment is to fulfill King Cynric's excessive demand in exchange for his kingdom.

05.jpg

kay.jpg
Are you sure this is wise, milord?

king.jpg
I think we could spare the gold for now. It can be recouped later within a few years. We're not at war with anyone at the moment, why not take the time to investigate that mysterious village of Eglades?

kay.jpg
Very well, milord.

06.jpg

bal.jpg
Why do we even bother?

gar.jpg
Perhaps it may earn us an artifact of some sort.

bal.jpg
If you just cleanse my Cursed Sword....

gar.jpg
Your sword? Can't you just ask your wife to do it for you?

bal.jpg

kay.jpg
Hush, we've arrived.

06.jpg

07.jpg

kay.jpg
You there, tell me what happened.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

kay.jpg
Faeries...I have no idea what that is.

gar.jpg
Could it be ...no, it can't be.

kay.jpg
Let's head to the inn.

11.jpg

bal.jpg
Innkeeper, ale please!

kay.jpg
Not now, Balin. Innkeeper, could you tell me what happened to this village?

12.jpg

gar.jpg
So it's true.

kay.jpg
What is?

gar.jpg
Old Faith legends.

13.jpg

14.jpg

kay.jpg
The Sidhe, are they of the Old Faith?

gar.jpg
I'm not sure. I only heard tales and legends. They live far north in the forests. Nobody ever returned from there alive!

kay.jpg
Let's go ask the druid about it, then.

15.jpg

16.jpg

kay.jpg
Tir na Ong?

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

kay.jpg
What of the Seelie?

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

gar.jpg
I don't like this one bit, Sir Kay. They're not to be trifled with.

bal.jpg
Did you not hear what the old man say? They are weak AGAINST STEEL! Look, *draws his sword* STEEL!

kay.jpg
So are we. It's called 'pain and wounds'. Let's find this tower.

26.jpg

gar.jpg
Massive...

kay.jpg
I doubt they'd surrender. Balin, be ready.

bal.jpg
I've got your steel right here!

27.jpg

gar.jpg
I've got a bad feeling about this....

Our first encounter with the Sidhe, specifically the Unseelie will pit our forces against:

28.jpg

These guys are the Elite Heavy Infantry. Packs punch and comes only in 6-packs. They have night sight and magic resistance. Their melee capability pales in comparison to the next unit's kill rate...

29.jpg

The deadliest archers in game. They only come in pack of 12, but Unseelie Archers fires TWO arrows at once and is not affected by ANY weather effect. They also have magic resistances. Prepare for a rough fight.

30.jpg

Four VP. Top left is Crystal Tower for Shard spell. The middle is Dragon Bone, it's the most valuable VP in this map. It cuts mana consumption by half. The bottom right VP is dangerous, it nullifies all magic in the area. We will cap it and leave it the hell alone. A lone village is where the Unseelie army will spawn.

32.jpg

I send Sir Gareth's Cavalry to secure top left VP while the Knights march south to the Magic Immune shrine. The rest of the forces will hold at the Dragon Bones.

33.jpg

The Unseelie marches towards the center of the map.

bal.jpg
Resist THIS!

34.jpg

Our archers get a taste of Shadows from the Unseelie Sage.

35.jpg

And the Sage invoked Fog of Avalon. Sir Gareth responded with Dragon's Eye as the enemy got in maximum archer range.

36.jpg

As he finished casting, his cavalry unit was struck by Crystal Shard spell. Spikes of cruel, cold ice pierced his men, killing both the horses and riders through extreme anal penetration. He is down to three riders from the starting 35.

gar.jpg
Horrific.

37.jpg

bal.jpg
Looks cold, let me warm a few of these bastards up!

38.jpg

bal.jpg
Still coming? Fine, CHARGE!

39.jpg

Sir Gareth's Dragon's Eye falters yet the Fog persists. Thankfully, most of the Unseelie Archers had died, our archers are forced to emerge from the forests to get closer.

40.jpg

gar.jpg
Looks like my luck has run out!

41.jpg

Sir Gareth gets caught by an Unseelie Warrior ambush in the forests and was down within moments!

42.jpg

kay.jpg
Gareth!

bal.jpg
Kay, don't stop firing at that oncoming warriors. I'll hold, these bastards will break soon. I can feel it.

Thankfully, their morale dropped to zero after we inflicted enough losses and captured more VP.

43.jpg

bal.jpg
How's the weakling?

kay.jpg
He'll live but he needs time to recover.

bal.jpg
Huh...that's a pity.

Sir Kay smiled at Balin's turned figure. They've become good friends despite trading barbs. Years ago, Balin wouldn't even sit with them at the Round Table. Gareth will take 5 seasons to recover, the grievous wound inflicted by Unseelie Warrior nearly killed him.

44.jpg

Sir Kay stood up to receive a message from a soldier.

45.jpg

kay.jpg
This is not good. Arthur, what will you do now?

Days later...

king.jpg
How is Sir Gareth?

kay.jpg
Still recovering from his wounds, milord.

56.jpg

king.jpg
Gentlemen, we are attacked from the west. But winter approaches, we have some time to prepare. Our stronghold will be improved, and armies reinforced.

bal.jpg
We'll train ourselves over the winter, o King.

kay.jpg
Yes, I will improve my Masterful Tactics with Wedges of Steel to grant more offensive power to my troops.

48.jpg

bal.jpg
I shall master Dragon's Breath so I can cast it more often in battle.

49.jpg

kay.jpg
Several archers have been promoted to veteran status. They've been given masterwork weaponry to increase their offensive capability.

50.jpg

king.jpg
Good, keep them alive. Now let me show you my research plans...

Once you've unlocked stronghold, you can research upgrades.

Military
51.jpg

Economy
52.jpg

And the last one is Magic, if I'm not wrong. I missed the screenshot.

king.jpg
I propose we improve Roads in our empire to increase your army's mobility. All in agreement?

kay.jpg
No objections, milord.

king.jpg
I know it's unfair to some merchants and our citizens, but I think we need to implement Monopoly and Forced Labor laws to increase both our trade and gold income from our provinces.

53.jpg

bal.jpg
Do not be hesitant to do so, my King. You are protecting them, after all. These weapons and soldiers do not pay for itself!

kay.jpg
The monopoly law will hurt our mining income (-30%), but will increase our trade taxes greatly (+30%). But I worry if we bleed the populace with forced labor, the army will need more gold(+20%) and time to attract more recruits, although the overall increase in taxed food and gold (20%) will make up for it.

king.jpg
It's a trade off.

kay.jpg
What of Sir Lucan and Sir Alymere? Will they be joining us?

king.jpg
One of them might. I'm afraid I cannot assign more than four of you to an army. They are currently marching from Dunmodia as we speak. Oh also, Sir Lucan proved to be a very wise ruler. I am thinking of rewarding him with more land and marrying him to the beautiful Lady Lynett.

54.jpg

Gentle increases recruitment time.
Merchant increases trade income.
Beautiful increases knight's loyalty by +3
Shrewd increases knight's earned EXP by 25%

bal.jpg
As long he does not take my share of land...

kay.jpg
Then take mine instead.

king.jpg
Thank you, brother. There's still so much work to be done at Camelot. Excalibur's magic can only do so much.

55.jpg

Upgrading stronghold can only be initiated during winter. And these take seasons to finish. You can queue up to 4 buildings, but remember you are making up-front payment. So stick to 4 season building plan, I'm going for Anvil Lane to reduce cost and time of recruitment by 15%, then followed with a mint for 500 gold per turn then Artisan guild for a random chance to get artifact per year.

king.jpg
Sir Kay, I have news of Merlin.

kay.jpg
Really?

46.jpg

kay.jpg
An alliance with Wales...that would mean alliance with the Old Faith?

bal.jpg
It would start a war with the Christian Kingdom of Saxon, their provinces neighbors our Stronghold in London. Is that wise, my King?

king.jpg
I know...I do have another option...

47.jpg

kay.jpg
Rescuing him will enable us to ally with King Raedwald, but our relations with King Ryon to the west will sour...

bal.jpg
Those Sidhe worshippers will turn on us from the west. I care not, point the direction you wish me to attack.

kay.jpg
Arthur, what will you do?

king.jpg
That will be all for today. Oh, in some unrelated news...

57.jpg

kay.jpg
That fool.

bal.jpg
Heh, the Sidhe will flay him alive.

king.jpg
If he dies, the empire of Mercia will have a new heir.

kay.jpg
We're getting ahead of ourselves here. We need to choose a side first!

king.jpg
We leave it...to the Codex. All of you may leave now.

It's not too late. I'll be posting a vote. I'm going to rest and see how it works out tomorrow. Fourteen hours from now, the fate of Camelot's beliefs is in your hands!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bro, since Kay is staying behind with the archers, you'd be VERY wise to pump up prot from magic for him. It's a really life-saving panic button when there's curse of shadows flying at you.

And research: screw roads and get all 4 disaster-preventions ASAP. I always take those first and then start the rest of the research, it's just too important to be delayed.

And the last one is Magic, if I'm not wrong. I missed the screenshot.

Kingdom.

And anyway, since we've got to London, I guess you should go face Caradoc. If you meet Merlin, you'll be double-fucked: by that retardedly hard battle against the Welsh first, and then by having your stronghold on the border of Saxon lands.

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

kay.jpg
Looks like this is place.

bal.jpg
Hm, let's see what they have in store..

Merchants appear from time to time, selling artifacts or buying them. At times they may even have a Lady in waiting!

01.jpg

A barter system with gold and food to balance the scales is used. Here we traded two minor artifacts for an Enchanted Ring and a nice Lady.

02.jpg

Definitely a nice ring. Sir Balin will wear it.

03.jpg

kay.jpg
All right, that is settled.

bal.jpg
Arthur will probably match you with that Lady...heh, see you at your wedding.

kay.jpg
Wait, where are you going?

bal.jpg
This cursed sword...I want to unleash its power. The monastery is way south of here, I do not wish to delay you.

kay.jpg
Very well, I shall meet await your return in Somerset. Remember, Balin, power is nothing without purpose.

bal.jpg
I know that.

04.jpg

The two knights parted as Sir Gareth still lies wounded and had to be carted during the march.

05.jpg

New units:
06.jpg

Upgraded Tourney Knights.

07.jpg

I was wrong about this unit, it's the ELITE version of Breakshields, two tiers above heavy footmen. Impressive holding power.

bal.jpg
So here I am...

08.jpg

09.jpg

bal.jpg
Bah, nothing is ever simple, is it?

10.jpg

bal.jpg
The Sidhe?

11.jpg

bal.jpg
I do not engage my enemies blindly, tell me more of this secret group.

12.jpg

bal.jpg
I should help. This is probably Arthur would have wanted.

13.jpg

bal.jpg
No time to hesitate, CHARGE!

14.jpg

bal.jpg
Any captives, I wonder...

15.jpg

bal.jpg
Torture should loosen their tongues.

16.jpg

bal.jpg
Are these men enchanted? I should bring them back to the abbey. Maybe I could use them as hostages against Sir Ywain.

17.jpg

bal.jpg
There's nothing left to do here, let's return to the abbey.

18.jpg

19.jpg

bal.jpg
I'm getting impatient, but if I abandon them to the Old Faith, who knows what might happen?

20.jpg

bal.jpg
Let's get this over with, then.

21.jpg

bal.jpg
You, get some boats, and let's move out.

22.jpg

23.jpg

bal.jpg
Ywain, I have your two sons, surrender and I shall spare your life.

24.jpg

bal.jpg
Time to settle this matter.

25.jpg

bal.jpg
Let's capture some nobles. Troops, attack!

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

bal.jpg
He wishes to die by my hands? So be it....

kay.jpg
Remember, Balin. Power is nothing without purpose.

bal.jpg
Abbot, his life is mine to spare. Sir Ywain, do you pledge yourself to the Once and Future King, Arthur of Pendragon?

ywa.jpg
If that is how you wish it, so shall it be, Master Balin.

29.jpg

30.jpg

bal.jpg
Excellent. Come, Ywain. To Somerset!

31.jpg

Sir Ywain is a follower of the Old Faith. He is a Sage of considerable power, despite having only Lightning Bolt spell as his pick, his passive skills enhances the damage output. Moreover, his unique artifact enables any wearer to regenerate mana!

32.jpg

Meanwhile...

kay.jpg
Gareth, are you alright?

gar.jpg
I'm...still weak. But fine, Sir Kay.

kay.jpg
Alright, I'll leave you with the men, keep them away from the city.

gar.jpg
Are you going to fight?

kay.jpg
No, I'm here to purge a city.

33.jpg

Random negative events may occur if a province attribute is not properly taken care of. Health, Public Safety, Loyalty are some of the attributes that needs to be monitored.

34.jpg

A varying degree of actions can be taken, yet the more effective it is, the more it'll cost. Tyrannical actions like the Purging will have negative consequences in the long term but cost nothing in the short term.

kay.jpg
Kill all who is sick and burn the bodies. We're upholding a curfew until the epidemic is clear.

Once the threat is clear, the army makes its way towards Somerset, where Sir Lucan awaits.

luc.jpg
Milord, the King ordered me to lead the drafting efforts. I can save you a small sum of gold if I do so.

kay.jpg
Do so. Where is Sir Alymere?

luc.jpg
As King Arhur ordered, he is assisting several scholar monks in research at a nearby Monastery. Also there are news from Mercia.

37.jpg

kay.jpg
It is just as King Arthur predicted. Very well, begin the recruitment immediately.

35.jpg

Setting Sir Lucan as the Leader of an army grants 5% off recruitment fees. Also Sir Alymere doesn't really fit well with my battle plans at the moment, special locations in campaign map gives bonuses when occupied, the Monastery grants 5 research points towards our Stronghold. So he'll be staying there for a long, long time.

Elsewhere...

bal.jpg
Just another season, and we'll meet up with Sir Kay and the rest of the Knights.

ywa.jpg
Master Balin, enemies!

bal.jpg
What?

The army of King Cadeyrn marches from the north and caught Sir Balin's small army on the roads!

36.jpg

We cannot fight, retreat is our only option! We lost a few men, but at least none of our knights were captured.

bal.jpg
We'll pay them back, thrice-fold!

RK47

Patron
Looks like the vote swings towards Old Faith. LMAO.

Butt rape incoming? To be honest, I think I know why. The Druid being expert in Old Faith - Sidhe Marketing is to blame for this. Not having any lore interesting lore quest for Christianity to explain how their factions work etc does not make them attractive.

The Seelie / Unseeling Lore give away was available on limited only, Into the Deepwood is totally optional but served as an introduction to the Sidhe.

ironyuri

Don't rely too much on voting. If you're playing Christian go with the path you feel is best.

I'm enjoying this LP. Might get the game. Keep up the good LPing as you always do, Rk47!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd have expected the "charge immediately" option to be the worst one, surprised it went so easy.

ironyuri

Brother None said:
I'd have expected the "charge immediately" option to be the worst one, surprised it went so easy.

Sometimes a straight attack is the best way. If the enemy isn't expecting it, a head-on charge can completely disorient them. Besides, Balin is a badass.

RK47

Patron
Brother None said:

If you read the description and followed the quest text - it should be quite obvious you're meant to rush and rescue the occupants of the abbey. So with the enemies turning their back at you, I don't see why we have to be so cautious. That's my first run of the quest anyway. It went well.

And yes, Balin's the best we have at the moment. His Maxed Rank 4 Dragon's Breath cost only 55 Mana to cast. I was debating whether to keep Mana regen artifact on Balin or Gareth, but since Gareth is completely useless without mana, I'd rather throw it to him.

Also, I'm exploiting a bit. Later update will have Gareth running around with a 1 fast unit Cavalry. I don't want to reinforce it. Rank 5 units are too expensive to reinforce and he never engages in battle anyway. We saw what happened when he did. :roll: Although the unit will autowipe should it fall below 1 soldier count and the hero leading it falls.

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

Winter arrives, I decided to go for Merchant's Court construction at Camelot. Additional improvements should improve our tax yield. The Epidemic is worrying, we invest our research into prevention of future outbreaks.

01.jpg

kay.jpg
Are they here yet?

bal.jpg
Waiting for us?

king.jpg
Welcome back, Sir Balin. And I take it this is Sir Ywain?

ywa.jpg
At your service, milord.

king.jpg
Excellent, Sir Kay, I trust you are ready to lead the attack force?

kay.jpg
Yes milord, Sir Balin survived an encounter with Lady Fenella's forces. According to his estimates they are backed with Welsh bowmen, a few longbows, spears light cavalry and several heavy infantry.

bal.jpg
What are we waiting for? Let's burn them!

gar.jpg
Then take me as well. I cannot wait to fight again.

kay.jpg
Yes, Sir Gareth. I've decided on who should come with me. Sir Balin, Gareth, and Ywain will accompany me to battle. We march out of Somerset in a moment's notice.

bal.jpg
Try to remain standing after the battle is over this time.

gar.jpg
At least I did not run.

bal.jpg

king.jpg
Good luck, my Knights! For Camelot!

03.jpg

04.jpg

kay.jpg
Fairy Foot shall be their graves. To battle!

05.jpg

Alright, we're quite familiar with this map. Sidhe Tower in the middle provides Crystal Shard spell. Top left tower won't contribute much except morale pressure. Bottom VP will play the same role, all the fights will take place in the center. The enemy's starting location will probably allow them to grab both villages and the lone mill. We will draw them to a central battle and make use of our two Knight units to flank the VPs mid-battle.

06.jpg

kay.jpg
Archers, stay to the forest! They are close.

07.jpg

bal.jpg
Now?

kay.jpg
Yes.

08.jpg

kay.jpg
Do it, Gareth!

09.jpg

kay.jpg
Sir Ywain, strike!

ywa.jpg
Perish!

10.jpg

kay.jpg
Archers, FIRE!

11.jpg

kay.jpg
Signal the two knights to flank the victory points now! The northern knights should capture the mill. The southern one will march towards the village!

12.jpg

13.jpg

kay.jpg
They're getting closer. Abandon your positions and fall back! Let them have the tower!

14.jpg

kay.jpg
Looks like the Knights have arrived at the Mill...perfect.

15.jpg

kay.jpg
Archers, withdraw from the tower and prepare to fire at the enemy emerging from the forests.

16.jpg

kay.jpg
Finish them off!

bal.jpg
Kay, when do we get to fight?

17.jpg

kay.jpg
You've done your part.

18.jpg

19.jpg

ywa.jpg
Such brilliance...

bal.jpg
Wait, I don't believe it! Do the headcount again!

gar.jpg
Give it a rest, Balin, we did not lose any men.

kay.jpg
:smug:

20.jpg

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

War will always have negative consequences, a fledgling kingdom will have difficulty in pleasing all of their subjects. Poor harvests, Epidemics, Rebellions and Brigands plague the unprepared provinces, drove their people into despair and harms the Kingdom's economy as a whole.

01.jpg

kay.jpg
We'll deal with internal problems first, before heading out north.

bal.jpg
I agree, we can't let the rats wreak havoc when we leave our home undefended.

ywa.jpg
Master, we have captured two knights from the previous battle. What shall we do with them?

bal.jpg
I'll take care of it.

03.jpg

04.jpg

gar.jpg
What did they say?

bal.jpg
I have everything I need!

kay.jpg
It appears Sir Dinas is leading a large force just north of our borders. He is within striking distance of Somerset.

05.jpg

bal.jpg
We'll be ready for them. Their forces at Viroconium is weak, if we can smash Sir Dinas, the way is clear.

kay.jpg
Let's not forget these brigands. Let's deal with them first.

gar.jpg
Sir Kay, a gift from the Artisan's Guild has arrived from Camelot.

kay.jpg
Hmmm, a new artifact from Camelot. Impressive. Sir Balin, you should have it.

07.jpg

bal.jpg
Thank you.

gar.jpg
News from the south is worrying, the province of Dorset, King Idres' former realm is revolting. A few nobles are assembling an army.

08.jpg

kay.jpg
The King said not to worry about it. He has sent Sir Lucan to deal with the problem.

ywa.jpg
But how? He has no army.

bal.jpg
Oh, we have our ways....

09.jpg

We could either battle, bribe or trick them. All with different alignment shifts and effects. This action has shifted us further into Tyrant and unlocked the Brigand unit.

10.jpg

kay.jpg
We'll deal with the brigands now.

bal.jpg
I hope you're not considering paying their price.

kay.jpg
I'm not, consider it as 'live training'.

bal.jpg
Good.

12.jpg

The starting terrain is very disadvantageous to our side.
13.jpg

The lands are covered with shallow waters and swamps, making movement slow. What's worse, there's barely a forest to ambush from. We'll just have to slug it out. The bottom VP grants Lightning Bolt. The top VP grants Pool of Shadows. The right VP gives Storm of Avalon. The Left VP is a village.

14.jpg

We move slowly towards the nearest VP. Sir Gareth moved ahead to unleash several spells.

16.jpg

The enemy's Brigand archers are as deadly as ours, Sir Gareth will employ multiple casts of Pool of Darkness to wipe them out. It is deadly effective, now at Rank 3. The enemy hero counters with magic resistance dome.

17.jpg

No problem, we waited till their magic wears off and unleash a Lightning Bolt from Sir Ywain.

18.jpg

We have successfully slipped a single Knight unit to assault a rebel unit guarding the left-most VP.

19.jpg

The swamp makes progress extremely slow and the archers could not get to cover in time before starting counterfire.

20.jpg

Luckily their morale is rapidly diminishing from the rapid kiils through spells. Sir Balin burned a dozen more.
21.jpg

We can't perform hit and run effectively in this environment. We're forced to fight in melee with our Heavy Infantry.
22.jpg

Followed by another Lightning Bolt.
23.jpg

Then Balin charge in with Sir Ywain to finish the job.
24.jpg

26.jpg

The terrain is a bitch to traverse in. I would not suffer that much casualty had I make it to the forest. But at least the Brigands are no longer a threat in the province for now.

27.jpg

Gonna have a bit of rest before continuing.

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

Neutralizing troublesome province disasters earlier prevents huge losses in the long run, but often, it's not ideal to march an army straightaway, not to mention the game cheats by giving rebels or brigands level 4 armies instantly! It's best to prioritize accordingly and realize some diplomacy is required instead of battling the whole time.

kay.jpg
Looks like that's it for the Brigand and Rebel problems in our own provinces. We'll be ready to march northwards next season.

bal.jpg
I think the rest just got canceled, they're attacking us!

01.jpg

The AI gets very aggressive when it perceives it has slight advantage in the force rating. We'll teach them a lesson. Saves us movement points anyway! Their force composition is terrible, lots of light infantry, some archers, three cavalry, and their two heroes are leading the slow infantry units. Target practice time.

02.jpg

We have the advantage as defenders. I arranged my starting positions to grab the three VP as soon as possible. We start with one VP already within our forces vicinity. The two central VPs are dotted with forests and will be our main battleground. Sir Balin will rush northwards to capture the top-left VP. The village on the bottom-right will be secured by a spare knights unit. The rest will gather at the central VP to fight off the enemy.

03.jpg

Lovely starting point. Let's go!

Minimap does not show the enemy units, because they're concealed by the thick forests.

04.jpg

A manual scan over the battlefield can still spot them, though. It looks like they might be sending their three cavalry to capture the top left VP. Good thing Sir Balin and his Marauders are already on their way.

05.jpg

They started their climb towards the central-upper VP.
06.jpg

Perfect time for Sir Ywain to greet them with a Lightning Bolt.

07.jpg

Slow movement through forests is easily punished by a Pool of Shadows. The fragile archers are easily wiped out this way.

08.jpg

Our own archers are ready to ambush within the forests.

09.jpg

My lone Knight unit attempts to intercept the enemy Cavalry in the forests, but cannot match their speed at all.

10.jpg

But it didn't really matter, because we've secured all four VPs to their one.

11.jpg

Now all we gotta do is grind down their morale with attrition.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Their Cavalry movements to the west worried me slightly as my knights lost track of them in the forests, so I had my archers moved eastwards, where there are open field for me to spot them before they get too close. It was the correct decision to make.

14.jpg

They shortly reappeared later at the edge of the forest we just left behind. Our infantry are ready to greet them. I also activated the VP Sanctuary spell for the hell of it. Two volleys later, the cavalry dropped dead.

15.jpg

The two enemy heavy infantry division attached with their hero cannot really accomplish much. They're much too slow. We're ignoring them completely, preferring to just focus our efforts in wrecking their softer ranged units.

16.jpg

A second cavalry unit emerges from the western forest and was meters away from our archers column before falling.

17.jpg

By the time their heavy infantry got close enough, nothing's left to attack. We already moved back, satisfied with the knowledge that their archers are dead, and started shooting from another position. We even gave them a free VP in the open field to set them up for target practice.

18.jpg

And with that, the road to Viroconium is clear.

19.jpg

Sweet,sweet EXP and two artifacts constitutes our spoils of war. Notice how much less EXP Sir Kay is getting? That's because the game rewards direct kills by heroes. Hence those with magic casters gets the giant's share of the EXP from damaging spells like Dragon's Breath and Lightning Bolt.

20.jpg

21.jpg

50% magic resistance for archer unit is a godsend. I'm letting Sir Kay wear this.

22.jpg

+5 Movement is noticeable. Movement artifacts only take effect if the leader of the army is wearing it. So we give it to Sir Kay.

Viroconium beckons...
24.jpg

RK47

Patron
That guy, I've seen him review other games before. He's really un-funny to me for some reason. I'll watch it later. I rather watch clogged ear canal removal procedures than that to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsfVJeYNyk&NR=1

His final verdict was pretty spot-on though.

"Surpasses Total War : Empires" :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom