Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

SlamDunk

Arcane
PC Gamer said:
I tried lowering my resolution from 1440p to 1080p and bringing the graphics settings down to medium, but the stuttering was still there.
Perhaps it's a performance bug related to the AI, then. Towns and cities have a lot more NPC's in them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first impression is very good.

vlm9slX.jpg

And btw. Apples can indeed be picked up.

:shittydog:

Elex

Arbiter
I'm not sure about the save system, as I generally hate to do same stuff all over again if I die, will be interesting to see how it works in practice.
that is the minor issue.
If you add to that random crash and random bug the game become unplayable.

Elex

Arbiter
I have the solution to the saving problems:

Save and quit function.

Like all of those old jrpg with save point but you can save and quit anytime.

That way it is safe for adults with jobs and families, which they can quit anytime, yet you cant use it to save scum like other F5+F9 spam
no comment.
“the game require a fast SSD”
“why?”
“because you have to quit the game and restart for a quicksave”

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
for lazy fucks like me who prefer big ass tv over monitor and sofa over chair controller is more comfortable. Controller has main disadvantage, point accuracy, but in this game and third person games like Elex or Witcher that accuracy is not really needed anyway. And there are other advantages beyond comfort, I like the feedback, analogue movement, triggers over simple buttons.

You are a popomole gamer.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Somebody keeps reposting the same video for the last 10 pages.
Whose alts are all those? The first truly dedicated hater ITT was Burning Bridges but alts don't seem like his style. Must be some other dildo.
Burning Bridges He's calling you hater. You just posted a video with person who shot apple from a head in Skyrim, and talked about games with proper boar hunting simulation.
I remember 14 years old who basically adored some geezers, and liked everything about them... They behave the same. But these were 14 years old which cvv likely isn't.

Nice shot.
That would depend on what advantages KB & Mouse give for a specific game.
Wrist rest.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
4/10 average review lol

That's what happens when the journos do not get their doritos :D
When they are not getting Jew money, they are giving correct scores.

72 is average for high production game, and the only lower scores are from PS4 players. Likely console reviewers would give it LOW score.

78 was for Mount and Blade Warband BTW.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh boy: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/13/kingdom-come-deliverance-review/

Wot I Think: Kingdom Come – Deliverance

kingdomcomedeliverancereview2-620x323.jpg

“Elder Scrolls without the magic,” is the elevator pitch for Warhorse’s historical RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but magic is a relative term – it all depends on what you’re used to. The game’s stringent recreation of alchemy may seem downright paranormal, for example, if you’re used to the streamlined, fire-and-forget approach of a game like Skyrim.

Given how many dungeons, dragons and mages RPGs tend to contain, Kingdom Come’s strictly historical approach often seems more fantastical and mysterious than its peers. That mostly helped me to make my way through this open world RPG with a spring in my step, even when bugs and crashes threatened to spoil the experience, and the story fell flat and the sidequests became repetitive.

Midway through the story of Henry of Skalitz, blacksmith turned countrywide errand boy, you’re asked to tend to wounded refugees at a monastery while dealing with a local plague outbreak. In many such games, this would boil down to visiting the nearest meadow, clearing out the local rat/unicorn infestation and harvesting a few generic herbs – and you will, in fairness, be asked to fetch bandages and rustle up some deermeat for the sickhouse cookpot. But there’s also that alchemy system, whereby you must not only gather materials but follow written instructions at your worktable: bringing the cauldron to a simmer or boil using the bellows, grinding up ingredients and adding them at the right time using an hourglass.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview1-620x304.jpg

It’s quite the adventure, and all of that assumes your character can actually read those instructions, a skill that must be obtained at some expense and honed with practice. It also assumes that you correctly match each patient’s account of their symptoms to the remedies in the monastery’s archives. Neglect to speak to all the plague victims before taking to your worktable and you might have to make a wild guess about the cure. And just to pile on the pressure, one of the people you’re trying to heal is a mercenary your liege-lord has ordered you to interrogate. Better do your homework, then.

Set in 14th century Bohemia, Warhorse’s debut RPG shines brightest when the quest design really digs into the peculiarities of its era, not quite cutting you adrift, but certainly not holding your hand. Broadly, the game blends the freeform progression and swirling, reactive NPC citizenry of an Elder Scrolls with the grot and skulduggery of a medieval conspiracy thriller. As the game begins, poor young Henry’s village is burned to ashes by a marauding tyrant, sparking a quest for vengeance that soon enmeshes you in a wider conspiracy.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview9-620x304.jpg

The story keeps you moving around the game’s vast persistent map, and serves up an enticing variety of very open-ended quests. You’ll be asked to scout out a bandit encampment, describing the terrain to a general and advising him on how many troops to commit; as with the plague cure scenario, it’s possible to observe wrongly and screw up your side’s chances in the ensuing brawl. You’ll do a little detective work, hustling peasants for dirt on their neighbours using any combination of threats, theatrics and common-sense reasoning. You’ll serve as page to some toffee-nosed princeling, chasing down boars in the forest (if he really gets on your nerves, you might find a way to head home without him). All these scenarios float atop the placid tides of village life, with NPCs following daily routines and forming opinions of the player that have a range of effects. Act the brigand, and guards may insist on checking your inventory as you stroll about. Keep your nose clean, and you’ll be able to push for lower prices when haggling.

Henry’s stats, meanwhile, are increased by performing the associated action, and there are perks to unlock in each of the game’s skill trees, from combos and special moves to trits that let you carry more stuff, obtain valuable pelts from animal carcasses and minimise the wasting effects of time in jail. Or the effects of booze and hangovers.

Deliverance’s narrative is good at taking you places and changing its tune to fit the circumstances, but the tale itself dissatisfies. Largely that’s because it’s more about machinations than people, offering up a parade of soap opera sketches – ornery lords, roguish priests, preening bureaucrats – who further the plot but rarely tickle your curiosity. Henry himself is about as exciting as a bowl of porridge, though I enjoyed watching other characters respond to his rapid ascent of the hierarchy: there’s a hint of Geralt of Rivia, even, to how the character is at once courted and resented, a useful pariah in a world of rigid caste relations. But the script never crackles like that of The Witcher 3, and though they usually have ulterior motives, the merchants, peers and yokels you’ll meet harbour few genuine surprises.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview8-620x325.jpg

It’s not a story that has much time for women. Since you play the pre-designated character, Henry, it’s down to the supporting cast to provide different perspectives. Unfortunately, female characters typically fall into the categories of maidenly love interest, prostitute or surrogate mother, in keeping with the portrait of a “purely patriarchal” society described by Kingdom Come’s historical database. I don’t know enough about 14th century Bohemia to address this, but I’m not sure the defence of historical accuracy extends to blokier character buffs like “Alpha Male”, which confers a +2 charisma boost when you visit the brothel.

Tedious macho elements aside, there are other questions about the depiction of the people of early 14th century Bohemia. During development director Daniel Vavra claimed that there were “no black people” present in the area of Bohemia covered at the time of Kingdom Come’s events and though the game doesn’t present the region as a bastion of monoethnicity, the issue of race deserves further examination. I’d especially like to read a critique of its portrayal of the Cumans, a Turkic nomadic people represented by other characters as vicious killers, who often feature among the ranks of your enemies.

Vavra has defended the research that went into the game’s racial diversity and apologised for some of his comments, and it’s important to note that the development has been a collaborative effort of more than 100 people rather than the work of one man. If Kingdom Come existed in a vacuum, the treatment of the Cumans might seem like a meaningful depiction of the othering of outsiders, which might in itself help us to understand characters and the setting. In reality, it’s reasonable to dig deeper into the game’s claims to accuracy in this and other regards now that the whole picture can be seen, and that’s something we’ll be doing.

Kingdom Come’s world is grim and life can be cheap, but the game’s survival mechanics are gentler than they first appear. You’ll have to worry about hunger, which erodes your stats, but between hunting, stealing, the spoils of war and the pots of bubbling stew you’ll find at taverns, it’s hard to run out of grub. I’ve spent more of Deliverance worrying about the effects of over-eating than malnutrition, and much of the food I picked up eventually rotted away in my pocket. Fatigue can be tricky, as you’ll need to find a bed or pay for one, but you’ll acquire a permanent lodging once you’re done with the prologue, and there are perks you can unlock to make the effects of insomnia less pronounced.

The game’s approach to saving is harder to swallow. To checkpoint progress you must either sleep, reach a significant quest milestone or down a tot of Saviour’s Schnapps, a finite beverage that can be bought (expensive) or brewed (time-consuming). Fortunately, small amounts of booze improve certain stats for a time, including your charisma. My version of Henry has accordingly passed many a fateful conversation in an amicable stupor, swaying in and out of view.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview7-620x330.jpg

Tethering checkpoints to boozing is fun, but the lack of a quicksave does get annoying. Partly that’s because the game is somewhat prone to crashing at the moment, and partly, it’s because Kingdom Come’s melee combat is as tough as horseshoes. The basics see you angling your weapon with the mouse, then left-clicking to swing and right-clicking to stab. To defend you hold Q, or tap it as your opponent swings to parry and create space for a riposte. Angle your weapon to meet a swing and you’ll block more effectively; conversely, you’ll want to lay into an opponent’s unprotected side to break through their defences. All this burns stamina, and exhausting your stamina isn’t a good idea if you plan on running away.

It’s a ferociously in-depth system that’s enjoyable to master, but you’ll need to grit your teeth. There are practice arenas at many towns where you can level up individual weapon stats and practice combos. It’s wise to train often, because if you prioritise the story you’ll quickly run into challenging opponents. Quality of equipment naturally counts for a lot, but it’s not just a question of overall defence values: you’ll need to layer gear properly, wearing a nice padded vest under your mail, and patch up any holes in your regalia between scraps. If nothing else, well-kept gear might help you talk your way out of trouble. NPCs judge by appearances as much as eloquence, and anybody whose helmet looks like a colander evidently isn’t much good at protecting himself.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview6-620x312.jpg

There’s a point where Kingdom Come’s rigour loses its novelty, and the game’s rough spots grow more pressing. Some of the milder hiccups are delightful in that usual open worldy fashion – at one point I beat a man senseless and stole his clothes, only for him to greet me gaily on the road a few moments later. Less forgivably, there are quirks like NPCs refusing to loose their remaining arrows in an archery competition, forcing you to throw the tournament. The landscape can also be unruly when you stray off-road. You’ll encounter fences topped with invisible walls, and hedges that spurn your advances where others pose no barrier – worse, you might end up trapped in one.

Aside from story missions, side quests and recurring activities like alleyway brawling and dice games, there are random, pop-up scenarios that prompt awkward memories of Bethesda’s early forays with radiant storytelling. One of the common examples involves a corpse in the road and a stranger who immediately accuses you of being the killer, to varying outcome. I have experienced well over a dozen renditions of this, but as far as Kingdom Come: Deliverance is concerned, you can never have too many roadside corpses. Fortunately, it’s always possible to ride around them.

kingdomcomedeliverancereview5-620x316.jpg

The measure of an open world is ultimately not the story it tells but whether you’re happy to kill time within it, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance offers plenty of ways to do that, even if a lot of them will, in fact, get you slaughtered. It isn’t the departure I was hoping for, thanks to a shortage of character to set against the nuance of its historical sandbox, but the grubby realism is a pleasant shock next to the tales of elves and dragons that are its nearest competition.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is available now for Windows and is £39.99 via Steam.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No problems so far. Fistfight was a lot of fun once I figured out a little of how combat’s supposed to work. Then I got sucked into dicing in the first town for the last half hour.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I've played a half-hour and gave up in frustration. No idea what the level up messages mean or what to do with them. Map screen flickers wildly with my main character blocking it in any case. Quest tracker doesn't work. Graphic details, like road detail, go in and out. Introduction was followed by an introduction, which was the same text. And...

...my biggest pet peeve of all with our European friends, the English is POOR. It's 2018, native English speakers are an email away. Just ask us.

Not good so far, not at all.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
4/10 average review lol

That's what happens when the journos do not get their doritos :D
When they are not getting Jew money, they are giving correct scores.

They did the same shit with New Vegas as well, thus cheating Obsidian of their bonus. Meanwhile Bethesda can release the most broken garbage possible and it still gets a perfect score.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um.. maybe it's because I am slightly drunk but this game so far is pretty damn good... Granted I haven't left the main area yet but that's because I've been walking around listening to people talk politics while doing the starting objectives, got distracted by playing some dice and reading codex entries.. Getting tired so I'll probably just start over tomorrow since I went around and punched some dudes just for fun...

Getting 58-60fps mostlly in the starting village.. If I go to a location with lots of shrubbery and no people it is constant 60fps, with NPCs walking around is when it dips a bit, but has never gone below 53-54 for me while playing.. it was about 40-45 (I think) while talking to Henry's Mom, and it appears that during cutscenes it goes to a stable 30fps, probably intentional?

Game looks gorgeous, the game defaulted to high and I went with that, didn't change any settings. Also I didn't see any long loading when talking to people like on the streams.. I am also playing from an SSD so that always helps.

There is some jank but it feels a lot better than I thought it would and what I saw from console streams. Granted, I am not far in.. First impressions are pretty good and A LOT better than I was expecting.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This Kunesh bloke is properly fucking poor, took all that effort to beat his ass still has nothing in his hovel

Cnaiur

Augur
Well. I like the first 30 minutes or so that I've played, but the performance is...not very good. Went down to the 'high' graphics option on 1440p, but there's no difference compared to very high or even ultra. And I'd be fine with a steady 40fps or so, but it's all over the place (30~60) which is annoying as hell and not very easy on the eyes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Yeah, so far so good. Don’t know what anyone who criticizes the English is talking about. Lunacy. It’s just meant to be a little old timely, but I wouldn’t be able to tell this was written by non natives if I didn’t know already.

Playing very well on high and looking pretty damn good; may up it to very high.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Seems like waiting for proper patching etc is the best move

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom