Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Continued the main story and made it to the infamous
monastery. I remember a lot of people complaining about this area but it seems interesting enough. I spent a lot of time trying to infiltrate it and kill Pious without becoming a monk but I couldn't find the fucker. I really like the idea of trying to find out who he is by living on the inside. It's pretty obvious who he is (the red herrings are way too obvious) but I'm looking forward to fooling around as a monk.

Speaking of which, I went ahead and told all of the novices that I'm looking for Pious. I can't help but feel as though this will have no consequences... am I wrong?
I liked the change of pace at the monastery. Made it stand out among the other quests and with the wait function you can cycle through the daily schedule without too much hassle. Quite a few ways to approach both the main quest objective as well as the side quests. As for the consequences:
If you push it too far and start accusing a novice he'll tell on you. The penalty really isn't as severe as one would expect when you blow your cover and there isn't as much secret detective work involved either. I think the devs didn't manage to fully realise this quest as they actually envisioned. Still loved it though for what they were trying to do here.
The monastery is certainly a nice change of pace, but playing it at launch was a total nightmare. It's novel for the first fifteen to thirty minutes, but then you remember that you need to sleep in order to save, which means replaying an entire day over again if you bugger something up. You can pick locks, but it's launch, so there isn't a sectorial layour on the lockpicking minigame yet and you only have one. Eventually you can duck out of the monastery and grab your old gear, but then you find out that all of your gear is marked stolen. Some of it is so high-end and expensive that the 'stolen' marker doesn't even disappear by end-game. You've got some savior schnapps now, but using it when you actually need to (i.e trespassing and stealth) actually raises your conspiciousness and makes them numerically more difficult, if only slightly. It's also a limited resource. You're awoken one night and everyone is sent to the centre courtyard. Nothing happens. You reload. Nothing happens again. You reload to the morning that you were planning to retrieve your gear, go through that entire process again, and now everyone is called to the centre courtyard again. This time the correct dialogue plays. More guards? Why? You haven't actually done anything to cause this. Oh, the trigger for this event went off by accident. You reload to five days earlier, play through everything again the exact same way, and this time it doesn't happen. An hour long quest has taken you about four.

I'm sure that with bugfixes, changes to lockpicking, and mods that allow you to save normally, the quest is amusing. Launch was another story, though. This was the only section of the game in my initial playthrough where the whole thing started to wear a bit thin.

Christ, that sounds so horrific. I also noticed that my stack of Savior Schnapps was gone. Hopefully I don't experience any bugs.

Speaking of bugs, I found one (kind of two) in the Sir Hans DLC that weren't gamebreaking but really made the second quest lackluster.

You have to torment a town and the quest lists a few compulsory pranks to do. After you complete those, the quest giver suggests that you take it further and find other ways to scare them. There seems that there are four extra ways:

1. making an agreement with the local bandits
2. spoiling the well water (the prompt to do this was bugged for me, probably because I did it after a certain point)
3. getting Fritz and Matthew to terrorize them. (I couldn't do this but maybe it's because I had them employed at Pribyslavitz. I don't think that makes sense considering their previous behavior)
4. killing a few villagers.

To be fair none of those bugs are gamebreaking but it just made the quest a lot less fun for me.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
Alright, the main story has officially taken a nose dive.

What the fuck is this fetch quest? I was trying to do all the optional objectives but because I killed Andrew (the innkeeper) the ale one wouldn't trigger for me, and I couldn't talk to the quartermaster despite having it as a quest objective.

Apparently if you killed him, he would respawn so you could complete the quest. But Warhorse fixed the bug but kept the objective anyway, not creating a suitable replacement. The inn is still in business, why can't they make one of the wenches there fulfil the task instead?

Also what the fuck, 60 potions?

I asked the woman if there was any other way and she basically went tough shit, just brew them yourself. So I went to another herbwoman and she had fuck all to say to me. Apparently if your reputation with the woman is high enough, she'll brew everything for you. But if not, looks like it's up to you to brew 60 potions. If you have the perk that gives you an extra potion, you still have to spend an hour brewing potions. I even autobrewed a third of them and I was getting tired of it.

I can't believe they left this quest in the game.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Yeah the siege part of the main quest is really weak.
-A ton of fetch quests. With the beer one being the dumbest, why is Andrew the only Innkeeper that can sell a keg of beer?
-Bombarding the castle for 2 days, which yields no tactical advantage whatsoever in the actual siege. No tower destroyed, no walls collapsed. Yet on the second day they simply shoot the gatehouse, and that's that.
-A completely useless nightraid. Where you can easily take out 10 enemies (which would be 25% of the enemy force) But the game doesn't acknowledge shit.
-You get a handful of coins after doing every phase in the quest. That really makes no sense both story- and gameplay wise. Those few coins don't mean shit at that point and storywise you don't need an incentive either since you're saving you father/getting back at your nemesis

The game is great for the first 2/3. Brace yourself for the epilogue.

Last edited:

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah the siege part of the main quest is really weak.
-A ton of fetch quests. With the beer one being the dumbest, why is Andrew the only Innkeeper that can sell a keg of beer?
-Bombarding the castle for 2 days, which yields no tactical advantage whatsoever in the actual siege. No tower destroyed, no walls collapsed. Yet on the second day they simply shoot the gatehouse, and that's that.
-A completely useless nightraid. Where you can easily take out 10 enemies (which would be 25% of the enemy force) But the game doesn't acknowledge shit.
-You get a handful of coins after doing every phase in the quest. That really makes no sense both story- and gameplay wise. Those few coins don't mean shit at that point and storywise you don't need an incentive either since you're saving you father/getting back at your nemesis

The game is great for the first 2/3. Brace yourself for the epilogue.

Finished! It really did fall apart in the end though, wow. Like
having to advance time to have them build the trebuchet, then advancing time once again for the gatehouse to be destroyed as you said. Also, yes, what the fuck was up with the money after each quest? I think I had 90k at the end of the game due to Pribyslavitz but even then I can't imagine many players being short of cash at that point considering how easy it is to get money.

I didn't have an issue with the ending. Although my standards were already super low from what other people have said before. That being said, I didn't think it was bad all things considered. I wasn't a big fan of the direction the story started going in with the Bastard reveal. Not to mention how awkwardly implemented it was. I guess the sequel will be more politically driven, and Henry's lineage will be used as an important plot device. But I think I would've rathered the story be more self-contained and ordinary, since that was what the marketing suggested. I'm still looking forward to the sequel, and I hope that it goes into more morally grey ground (like the Witcher) because of how black the non-Bohemians were portrayed.

I would like to replay it if I had the time, preferably after looking more closely into 15th Century Bohemia.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How much time before the definitive version?
Only Warhorse might have some idea of how long it'll take, but probably after A Womans's Lot (the fourth and the last DLC) is out. Roadmap says Spring for DLC4 release window.
Hopefully in that DLC I can marry and beat my wife up and teach her to know her place. Such is a woman's lot.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been thinking about this game and want to replay it (especially since I played it at launch and a lot of quests were bugged to shit) but waiting for all the DLC to be out.. these fuckers need to hurry up.

at this rate KCD 2 won't be out until 2025

Quillon

Arcane
I wonder if these small DLCs retain player attention throughtout the year after game's release or prevent players from playing the game until all the content is out. It must be more profitable doing it this way as opposed to making bigger expansions right? Otherwise why are they doing it?

Funposter

Arcane
I wonder if these small DLCs retain player attention throughtout the year after game's release or prevent players from playing the game until all the content is out. It must be more profitable doing it this way as opposed to making bigger expansions right? Otherwise why are they doing it?

Mod tools would have done a better job at retaining players. A proper expansion probably would have been better than these smaller DLCs too. 4 new quests isn't enough to make someone return to a game and do an entirely new playthrough, but a new landmass/significant overhaul to an existing area etc. is. Of larger scale content updates are wishful thinking given the amount of bugfixes that had to be released.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw watching the concurrent players in the last few weeks. Went from around 2k to 7,5k over the holidays. No idea why. Sure the game is on a sale but it's been on a sale almost continuously since like the autumn.

Funposter

Arcane
Btw watching the concurrent players in the last few weeks. Went from around 2k to 7,5k over the holidays. No idea why. Sure the game is on a sale but it's been on a sale almost continuously since like the autumn.

https://steamcharts.com/app/379430#1m

Christmas sale it looks like. The game has been on sale quite often, but people are more likely to splurge during the big sales and stock up on games for the next few months. It's nearly hit 10k concurrent a few times which is pretty good. I think that since people are on break, they've finally had time to sit down and get to playing games, especially ones which require a significant time investment. GTA V, for instance, has seen about a 40% increase in playerbase since November, where it had dropped to 43,000. It's now at 60,000. Most games have had holiday bumps, although it's difficult to find ones which line up with KCD so well. GTA V is probably the best example. The other games to get big bumps were having their first sale. I wouldn't be surprised if being listed in the 'Gold' section of the Best of 2018 was helpful, and being listed in the best sellers for February (right near the top of the list) was probably good too. Along with the game's reputation of having had a buggy release, I also wonder if people that had been waiting for it to be in a more stable state finally decided to give it a try.

Edit: Another example is actually Stellaris. It went on sale for 75% off and the playerbase more than doubled for the month of December. https://steamcharts.com/app/281990 While 75% off was a new low, it looks like it had been on sale for as low as 60% off a couple of times in the last year. So either people really wanted to save five bucks, or having time around Christmas to play games and actively wanting to spend money on them was a big factor.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Unnecessary pandering, doesn't make it any better because I happen to agree with it.
One slip up on his part and those people singing praises in the comments will instead be calling him a cuck.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Unnecessary pandering, doesn't make it any better because I happen to agree with it.
One slip up on his part and those people singing praises in the comments will instead be calling him a cuck.
Not that I think he is going to "slip up" in that regard, but even if, it is better to be called a cuck than a nazi/racist/whatever by actual mainstream press

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it is better to be called a cuck than a nazi/racist/whatever by actual mainstream press

Not really. Being called a racist/nazi puts you in a good company - Winston Churchil, Gandhi, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker, the Dalajlama...(yes, that actually happened). In this day and age it's a badge of honour more often than not.

If you're called a cuck, more often than not you are a cuck.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Length of the DLCs I presume?
It's not specified. It's whatever the hell you can produce. If you work ineffectively (for example the designers keep demanding stupidly complicated stuff which bears little results in terms of gameplay length) and/or are building a ton of custom stuff (design requires new tech and features - that was especially the case for DLC1 btw), and/or have a short dev cycle (4 DLCs within a year instead of 2 in 2 years) you end up with a short DLC. Even with short dev cycle if you resist the urge to bring something new at every turn, if you stop re-inventing new wheels all the bloody time, if you stick to standardized toolset then, provided the team is competent, you can create a lot of content in relatively short timeframe. However that comes with the risk the result will be perceived as more-of-the-same that doesn't develop the core game in any meaningful way and is thus not seen as worthwhile. So usually you are trying to hit some sweetspot there. And after all if the result is worth it you can always adjust the price. If not.... welll.... you better fucking check your work thrice. You don't want to find the answers to "Is this worth the price? Is it properly marketed?" after release.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
Length of the DLCs I presume?
It's not specified. It's whatever the hell you can produce. If you work ineffectively (for example the designers keep demanding stupidly complicated stuff which bears little results in terms of gameplay length) and/or are building a ton of custom stuff (design requires new tech and features - that was especially the case for DLC1 btw), and/or have a short dev cycle (4 DLCs within a year instead of 2 in 2 years) you end up with a short DLC. Even with short dev cycle if you resist the urge to bring something new at every turn, if you stop re-inventing new wheels all the bloody time, if you stick to standardized toolset then, provided the team is competent, you can create a lot of content in relatively short timeframe. However that comes with the risk the result will be perceived as more-of-the-same that doesn't develop the core game in any meaningful way and is thus not seen as worthwhile. So usually you are trying to hit some sweetspot there. And after all if the result is worth it you can always adjust the price. If not.... welll.... you better fucking check your work thrice. You don't want to find the answers to "Is this worth the price? Is it properly marketed?" after release.

Very insightful, thank you. Are you saying that you're free to adjust the price of the DLC if you think it's worth more/less depending on its content?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom