Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From the latest batch of problems I've had with Steam:

I have Battle Brothers installed on my desktop machine and on my laptop. When my wife is playing Underrail on the desktop, and I start Battle Brothers on the laptop, she gets a persistent on-screen notification that someone is connecting through this account from another place, and she should press Shift and enter the account password. The game remains playable, but the notification also remains. BTW, when you are playing Underrail the notification covers a part of your action points bar. Imagine getting that when you are in the middle of tough combat in Underrail.

Thanks for the "functionality" retards.
not sure if serious or not. You're trying to play two different games simultaneously from one account, and feel irritated when steam notifies you about that?
Maybe you want steam to allow you to share your account with a million of friends so everyone could play for free?
No, I am not sure if you are serious or not. You know who wouldn't notify me? Good old Games.
I weep for your retardation.

Put one of them in offline mode instead of running both of them in online mode at the same time.
Yeah, there are workarounds, most of all - Underrail doesn't require Steam to be running, but the first time this happened it was shit.

I regret every non-exclusively steam game I've bought on Steam, and I'm buying everything on GoG now. Fuck Steam forever.

Wunderbar

Arcane
No, I am not sure if you are serious or not. You know who wouldn't notify me? Good old Games.

I regret every non-exclusively steam game I've bought on Steam, and I'm buying everything on GoG now. Fuck Steam forever.
You're buying games with DRM and then you act surprised when DRM prevents you from sharing these games. Who is retarded here?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Battle Brothers..........Underrail.........Steam

The real question is why do you use Steam for games that are on GOG.
I agree. Something must have been wrong with me.

You're buying games with DRM and then you act surprised when DRM prevents you from sharing these games. Who is retarded here?
It's not about the DRM you retard.

Paul_cz

Arcane

I have Battle Brothers installed on my desktop machine and on my laptop. When my wife is playing Underrail on the desktop, and I start Battle Brothers on the laptop, she gets a persistent on-screen notification that someone is connecting through this account from another place, and she should press Shift and enter the account password. The game remains playable, but the notification also remains. BTW, when you are playing Underrail the notification covers a part of your action points bar. Imagine getting that when you are in the middle of tough combat in Underrail.

You are surprised you cannot use a single account on two machines at the same time? This is why offline mode exists if you need to do it.

Also, if Underrail and Battle Brothers are DRM-Free on steam (which they should be unless the devs are morons), you can play them without running steam at all.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Also, if Underrail and Battle Brothers are DRM-Free on steam (which they should be unless the devs are morons), you can play them without running steam at all.
Underrail is DRM free, but Battle Brothers isn't. At least it won't start if you copy the game folder somewhere outside of steam and try running the game exe.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You are surprised you cannot use a single account on two machines at the same time? This is why offline mode exists if you need to do it.
As I explained, I can use a single account on two machines at the same time. It comes with an annoyance however.

Drowed

Arcane

If you play in offline mode on one of those accounts, this doesn't happen.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand all the brouhaha about Steam vs. Epic. I thought everybody hated Steam anyway?

Epic is just way worse. The only plus-side to using Epic is that you give a better cut to the devs which is always nice but they're a shady company. There was a huge data breach last year, the parent company is Tencent (Chinese Government lapdog) and agreeing to their ToS gives them the right to pass on your info to Tencent. I wonder how they'll use that.

There's also the whole always online thing, along with the lack of functionality Steam has. They also allow developers to disable their review system if they want... to prevent "review bombing." I wonder why anyone would want to review bomb games on their system.

There's barely any reason to want to use Epic's store unless you want one of their exclusives. Also the free games I'd imagine is quite neat.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's not about the DRM you retard.
then what the fuck are you talking about?
Both Underrail and Battle Brothers are tied to steam_api.dll for achievements and other online features, it's still sort of DRM therefore you'll have to go offline to disable pop-up warnings.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There's also the whole always online thing, along with the lack of functionality Steam has. They also allow developers to disable their review system if they want... to prevent "review bombing." I wonder why anyone would want to review bomb games on their system.
Quoting because this is a textbook example of modern day corporate-shitheel software design: lacks basic user-facing functionality, but is ready to prevent review bombing.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If only GoG wasn't SJW central that caved under every little pressure.

So you buy an inferior product for retarded reasons?

Steam is not inferior as you can play most games in off line mode and its very easy and comfy to use... so why I should support Potato business who is pro SJW again? Only cause its located in Potatoland?

Paul_cz

Arcane
"soyboys" (seriously worst word ever) like Gaben personally approved release of Hatred against all the SJW moronics

Wunderbar

Arcane
Valve is apolitical, or at least they aren't trying to shove their agenda down our throats on twitter or other social media.

Doktor Best

Arcane
If only GoG wasn't SJW central that caved under every little pressure.

So you buy an inferior product for retarded reasons?

Steam is not inferior as you can play most games in off line mode and its very easy and comfy to use... so why I should support Potato business who is pro SJW again? Only cause its located in Potatoland?

Its still DRM and forces you to patch your games as soon as you go online with them and theres a newer version online. If Steam goes down, you will lose all the games you've paid for. On GOG you simply load them on a couple of usb sticks and youre fine.

And what the fuck is "pro SJW"? Because they apologized for that tweet? Who the fuck cares?

Last edited:

Simple Simon

Scholar
I blame myself for asking a question that started this foray. On a more on topic note, I was playing through the dice tournament last night. I had a really rough go of it until I leveled up agility until I could unlock perfect throw and got some of my good dice out of storage. I was surprised Noggin challenged me to a duel but not Berta. I was a little disappointed I could not do more with the investigation of Alphonse's killer than just recognize/pickpocket the dice and inform Anselm. It would have been interesting if we could see what Anselm was going to do with that information. I also wonder about whether there will be any consequences in the next game for correctly relaying the terms Alphonse was supposed to negotiate.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If Steam goes down, you will lose all the games you've paid for. On GOG you simply load them on a couple of usb sticks and youre fine.
Not necessarily - you can check the list of DRM-free games on steam, download those and back them up too.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I blame myself for asking a question that started this foray. On a more on topic note, I was playing through the dice tournament last night. I had a really rough go of it until I leveled up agility until I could unlock perfect throw and got some of my good dice out of storage. I was surprised Noggin challenged me to a duel but not Berta. I was a little disappointed I could not do more with the investigation of Alphonse's killer than just recognize/pickpocket the dice and inform Anselm. It would have been interesting if we could see what Anselm was going to do with that information. I also wonder about whether there will be any consequences in the next game for correctly relaying the terms Alphonse was supposed to negotiate.

That's really the Sir Hans DLC in a nutshell for me. It has some really neat concepts that if they pushed a bit further and introduced more non-linear solutions, it could've been incredible.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thinking about getting this since it's 50% off. Can a 1050ti run this?

1050ti us garbage, the Radeon 570 is a much better deal.

[EDIT]

Hahaha, sorry, wrong tread, thought i was in the science forum.

I'm pretty sure the 1050ti is gonna caught blood trying to run this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom