Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Beowulf

Arcane
I will say that bows on horseback are a definite exploit. Now, I wouldn't be saying that if enemies were smart enough to actually mount their own horses if they have them, but they can't/don't, so it's just overpowered.

I never saw a horse rider except in quests.

Vávra explained in one interview that they had an auto-riding system ready for horses which could be also used by a player, but it's obstacle avoidance was "too good" and on a regular road the horse would avoid all the pebbles and thus every track would be a crazy slalom race. They couldn't figure out how to keep the horses avoiding large obstacles while ignoring the small ones and so they scratched it. I think this is why we only see horse riders in the scripted sequences where someone manually edited their path.
[...]

I guess it's another sign that the game was rushed, as you can auto-ride just by holding "shift", and your horse will stick to the middle of the road, no matter how bumpy the surface is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I guess it's another sign that the game was rushed, as you can auto-ride just by holding "shift", and your horse will stick to the middle of the road, no matter how bumpy the surface is.

That's a realistic feature.

Believe it or not, horses are able to follow roads or trails on their own without constant guidance. They have a navigational AI and primitive GPS built right into the thing that tells them when to eat and poop.

You know how in books when the heroes have to leave the horses and they always say that the horses will find their way home? That's true.

Elex

Arbiter
Now that the dust has settled, I'm realizing that KCD only does a few things better than modded Skyrim.

The graphics are better. You have more horse-related options. Layered armor is nice. The combat COULD be really good if it's rejiggered.

But in a game about historical knights, where humans are the only enemies, there isn't even jousting.
i don’t think people go jousting in the middle of a war.
Probably gonna be deleted within the hour, but at least my high school bully can't call me a chicken now.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/1693788202025236097/

11717f65fb.png
worth it.

The same reason there are no attack helicopters.
they wern't invented yet?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Quite a bit of positive press lately. PCGamesn supports the save system, Gamespot & Destuctoid really like the game, and Polygon figured out how to play.

It took me so long because I know how to play games — “Find sword. Swing sword. Save world.” I was certain I was right and that the game was wrong, so I kept trying, again and again, to figure out how to be the hero. Out of desperation and frustration, I ran away — and I didn’t stop running until I was behind some thick walls being protected by trained soldiers. And it worked.

That’s where Kingdom Come: Deliverance became infinitely more enjoyable: when I stopped forcing my expectations of playing a larger-than-life hero and started roleplaying a very human peasant. That transition from thinking about the game as an escapist, wish-fulfilment, hack-n-slash action movie into a reality-based peasant simulator was profound.

When the game gets confusing or you hit a wall, the trick is not to outthink the game, but to ask yourself what Henry, or for that matter you, would do.

Elex

Arbiter
Quite a bit of positive press lately. PCGamesn supports the save system, Gamespot & Destuctoid really like the game, and Polygon figured out how to play.

It took me so long because I know how to play games — “Find sword. Swing sword. Save world.” I was certain I was right and that the game was wrong, so I kept trying, again and again, to figure out how to be the hero. Out of desperation and frustration, I ran away — and I didn’t stop running until I was behind some thick walls being protected by trained soldiers. And it worked.

That’s where Kingdom Come: Deliverance became infinitely more enjoyable: when I stopped forcing my expectations of playing a larger-than-life hero and started roleplaying a very human peasant. That transition from thinking about the game as an escapist, wish-fulfilment, hack-n-slash action movie into a reality-based peasant simulator was profound.

When the game gets confusing or you hit a wall, the trick is not to outthink the game, but to ask yourself what Henry, or for that matter you, would do.
press is embracing KCD click/visit potential no matter how they rated the game.

they started with andromeda style “le best buggy you can find”
to “the game is great because this: 5 tips for the best herny,cumans hate it”

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Polygon love it because Henry starts out as a weakling with no talents who can ask the government to help him with everything ("Bernard bring your beefy men to fight these bandits") and that is something they can identify with.

Wonder if they're going to play for long enough to figure out that Henry turns into a medieval t-800 about 10 hours in.

Then again, the more positive press for this sort of thing (warts and all), the better.

imweasel

The people on this thread are having none of that, it's one of the best game they've ever played and that's that, no man left behind.
Nah. KCD is just an enjoyable shit game. I think most would agree that it doesn't do anything particularly well and is not a good RPG, so I doubt it will win any awards around here.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
press is embracing KCD click/visit potential no matter how they rated the game.

they started with andromeda style “le best buggy you can find”
to “the game is great because this: 5 tips for the best herny,cumans hate it”
Indeed, even those fucking cucks over at RPS, despite labeling the game problematic, are doing a game guide for it...

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The people on this thread are having none of that, it's one of the best game they've ever played and that's that, no man left behind.
Nah. KCD is just an enjoyable shit game. I think most would agree that it doesn't do anything particularly well and is not a good RPG, so I doubt it will win any awards around here.

It would have been enjoyable for me too if the AI wasnt such a terrible mess, enemies getting stuck on each other, on terrain, sometimes not even reacting to your presence, sometimes not even attacking they just stare at you while on attack stance, it's ridiculous that such things are tolerable in this day and age, especially for a fully priced title. As much as I liked doing fetch quests for peasants, it failed to provide any challenge the moment you get out of the prologue.

But I do agree with you, it was fun kill everyone in the world, that I enjoyed.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Indeed, even those fucking cucks over at RPS, despite labeling the game problematic, are doing a game guide for it...
Follow the money. If a game is popular, they will do a guide ASAP for it because that is what gets them the clicks and advertiser money.

Balor

Arcane

It would have been enjoyable for me too if the AI wasnt such a terrible mess, enemies getting stuck on each other, on terrain, sometimes not even reacting to your presence, sometimes not even attacking they just stare at you while on attack stance, it's ridiculous that such things are tolerable in this day and age, especially for a fully priced title. As much as I liked doing fetch quests for peasants, it failed to provide any challenge the moment you get out of the prologue.

Well, you CAN bring up good points, but man you try too hard sometimes (that is like 90% of the time). They joys of being young and excitable I guess, I wish I can relate :(.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Well, you CAN bring up good points, but man you try too hard sometimes (that is like 90% of the time). They joys of being young and excitable I guess, I wish I can relate :(.

I don't think it has anything to do with being young and excitable, more with standards, throught the years we lowered our standards to the point were we clinge ourselves to everything that seem to be out of the norm, but is it true when the game is a broken mess and it requires months to be in the position where it should have been at release date? If they even get there in the first place.
People keep bringing nostalgia up whenever someone mention older games, but I don't remember that many games from the 90'-00' and I've played hundreds, to be in such sad states that you had to wait months for them to be enjoyable or in a working state.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
After 20+ hours, the moment-to-moment gameplay reminds me a lot of STALKER(a loveable mess). There's enough nicely handpicked mechanics to keep you hooked, but none of it is near flawless in the execution. Still, brings enough of a unique take overall to make it enjoyable.

Sum of it's parts. Eurojank_101 :salute:

Balor

Arcane
but is it true when the game is a broken mess and it requires months to be in the position where it should have been at release date?

A LOT of 'Codex Classic Games' were bug-ridden glitchfests at release even in the 'golden days of yore' - Daggerfall, VTMB, Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum, entire Gothic series, etc, etc, etc. Even Fallout series had it's share of bugs and most certainly could be exploited with prior knowledge.
What matters is whether there is a solid game under all this bugs. I don't have much time to play the game (and waiting for those bugs to be fixed does seem to be a good strategy), but based on what I've seen and read - it is certainly the case with KCD.
Bugs can be fixed, but to make a good game out of Oblivion you need to scrape everything, from main quest to game engine and most assets and start anew.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
but is it true when the game is a broken mess and it requires months to be in the position where it should have been at release date?

A LOT of 'Codex Classic Games' were bug-ridden glitchfests at release even in the 'golden days of yore' - Daggerfall, VTMB, Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum, entire Gothic series, etc, etc, etc. Even Fallout series had it's share of bugs and most certainly could be exploited with prior knowledge.
What matters is whether there is a solid game under all this bugs. I don't have much time to play the game (and waiting for those bugs to be fixed does seem to be a good strategy), but based on what I've seen and read - it is certainly the case with KCD.
Bugs can be fixed, but to make a good game out of Oblivion you need to scrape everything, from main quest to game engine and most assets and start anew.

I've played Gothic 1-2, Fallout< Baldurs Gate series vanilla without any patches and don't remember anything remotely broken compared with what you get these days, corupt save games, corrupt quests, infinite loading screens, terrible AI pathing, clipping throught the roof. The only one that truly made me lose my hair was VTMB, that one was truly a mess and still has some of those issues today.

Balor

Arcane

I've played Gothic 1-2, Fallout< Baldurs Gate series vanilla without any patches and don't remember anything remotely broken compared with what you get these days, corupt save games, corrupt quests, infinite loading screens, terrible AI pathing, clipping throught the roof. The only one that truly made me lose my hair was VTMB, that one was truly a mess and still has some of those issues today.

Yea, it is certainly seem on the buggier side. But instead of hysterically screaming that game is shit and rating 'retarded' every post that disagrees, you should calmly state your case and see if devs are to fix problems you've discovered (and it was indeed helpful of you to make a video of them). Yet it seems you are much more offended that not everyone instantly accepts your (very one-sided) opinion than game's bugs themselves, so it is no small wonder that people don't take you seriously even if you say things that are essentially correct (which cases you to be even more butthurt, obviously).
One may think that what you really want is attention, not getting your point across. If you didn't have an actual point from time to time, I'd put you on ignore long ago.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Yea, it is certainly seem on the buggier side. But instead of hysterically screaming that game is shit and rating 'retarded' every post that disagrees, you should calmly state your case and see if devs are to fix problems you've discovered (and it was indeed helpful of you to make a video of them). Yet it seems you are much more offended that not everyone instantly accepts your (very one-sided) opinion than game's bugs themselves, so it is no small wonder that people don't take you seriously even if you say things that are essentially correct (which cases you to be even more butthurt, obviously).
One may think that what you really want is attention, not getting your point across. If you didn't have an actual point from time to time, I'd put you on ignore long ago.

So you haven't played the game, you don't know what the game's core issues are and somehow you found my 40's something posts in this thread showing actual evidence screams for attention, maybe you should put me on ignore, that way you can listen to the one-sided circlejerk at how this game is the best thing since fries with ketchup.

Balor

Arcane
So you haven't played the game, you don't know what the game's core issues are and somehow you found my 40's something posts in this thread showing actual evidence screams for attention, maybe you should put me on ignore, that way you can listen to the circlejerk at how this game is the best thing since fries with ketchup.

I did, just only the 'lengthy tutorial' part (and really liked what I see). Are you by no means a lone individual to mention the game's bugs, hence I'm vary of going further than that.
YET, a lot of people like the game despite the bugs, and overwhelming majority admit that it would be an absolutely smashing hit if not for those bugs.

I'm a realist, and I while I would love a game with impeccable polish, getting a product that, heh, at least delivers what was promised (and it certainly does, and promised a LOT) even with bugs on top is incline for me - and, being a patient man with lots of other stuff to do, I can certainly wait for bugfixes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Exactly like that.
Most of the systems are kinda fucked up, you barely control your character's choices sometimes (he will do random shit without your approval in order to "progress the story"), the side quests are frequently boring fetch-hiking quests... But in total the game is fun and has a lot of character.
Definitely not anything to be remembered in time or something like that to be honest.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Exactly like that.
Most of the systems are kinda fucked up, you barely control your character's choices sometimes (he will do random shit without your approval in order to "progress the story"), the side quests are frequently boring fetch-hiking quests... But in total the game is fun and has a lot of character.
Definitely not anything to be remembered in time or something like that to be honest.
I'm kind of hoping they will turn this around and finish the game properly, fix all the issues and turn it into a real masterpiece. Or maybe part 2 will do that.

Might be naive, but...

Codex Year of the Donut

I don't think it has anything to do with being young and excitable, more with standards, throught the years we lowered our standards to the point were we clinge ourselves to everything that seem to be out of the norm, but is it true when the game is a broken mess and it requires months to be in the position where it should have been at release date? If they even get there in the first place.
People keep bringing nostalgia up whenever someone mention older games, but I don't remember that many games from the 90'-00' and I've played hundreds, to be in such sad states that you had to wait months for them to be enjoyable or in a working state.
"games from the 90'-00'" were also vastly simpler from a technological standpoint. People underestimate just how many bugs large pieces of software have until it smacks them in the face e.g, modern videogames. Expect this to get worse, not better. Could be worse, at least videogame bugs are harmless.

Also, have some fun information:
I work at a company that develops medical devices. Safety-critical systems have much higher requirements, and ours is a heavily regulated industry(especially compared to most software industries.) The US FDA reported that over 700 people were killed solely by drug-infusion pumps between 2005 and 2009 due to software error.
Hope you enjoy your next hospital visit.

Elex

Arbiter

"games from the 90'-00'" were also vastly simpler from a technological standpoint. People underestimate just how many bugs large pieces of software have until it smacks them in the face e.g, modern videogames. Expect this to get worse, not better. Could be worse, at least videogame bugs are harmless.

I work at a company that develops medical devices. Safety-critical systems have much higher requirements, and ours is a heavily regulated industry(especially compared to most software industries.) The US FDA reported that over 700 people were killed solely by drug-infusion pumps between 2005 and 2009 due to software error.
yeah my insulin pump have a chance of go full skynet!

Codex Year of the Donut

yeah my insulin pump have a chance of go full skynet!
ahem
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/19/insulin_pump_hack/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom