Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, it's been nearly a month and a half since release. Should I add this game to the CODEX CURATOR?

Kyl Von Kull Did you ever get around to reviewing it?

Morkar Left

So, it's been nearly a month and a half since release. Should I add this game to the CODEX CURATOR?

Kyl Von Kull Did you ever get around to reviewing it?

So far the game sounds to be good enough. Everybody here seems to like the game and it looks like it's complex as well.
Shouldn't be really a question. You have far worse games on the curator list...

Prime Junta

Prime Junta has been playing it alot. maybe up to some writin and journalism the right way?

That's all true except the part about playing it a lot, or indeed at all. My computer's a bit too potato to run it properly so I'm putting it off until I've gotten a better one, which is going to be in the next couple of months after sorting out some other stuff.

Elex

Arbiter
RPG gamers: give us realistic-simulation kind of game.
Also RPG gamers: I played your realistic-simulation game, I used every gamey trick I know, and I become a God in 5 hours, this game sucks.

Every. Fucking. Time.

It should be self-explanatory. With games that aim for realism, you need to learn to self-restrict your natural gaming instincts to farm, grind and look for shortcuts. Because exactly the same features and systems that make things appear realistic, will usually break the game if used in a gamey way.
or you accept that when you reach the top level of wealth, equipment and power YOU ACTUALLY HAVE GODLIKE POWER AND THE ENTIRE MAP DON'T MAGICALLY GROW UP IN POWER WITH YOU.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
First I brofisted but then thought about it and...not really.

What really breaks the game is the systems tied to stealing, looting and fighting are only half-way to where they should be. They're undercooked.

You get way too rich way too soon because the "stolen" tag disappears way too fast. It probably shouldn't disappear at all (stolen meat tag definitely shouldn't disappear by roasting the meat). The only way to sell stolen shit should be the fencers and they should have a limited amount of purchasing power (both limited money and the willingness to buy big expensive shit). Also stealing gets too easy very quick, people are too oblivious to you rummaging through their houses.
How would you recognize a stolen meat?

Plus the preorder gear is way too OP for how early in the game you can get it. But that's an RPG tradition since time immemorial, preorder shit is always OP, always out of place and you should never buy it.
Well, I remember games from 20 years ago, and I did game development for about decade. Even larger companies didn't have in game items as pre-order bonuses. Pre-order bonus was a cloth map in limited edition. Or simply getting your game in time to your house, without needing to worry about hiccups in delivery systems and stocks of your local salesman.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I just saw the game's wikipedia page.

Jesus F. Christ those cunts are embedded even there.

hilfazer

Scholar
I picked up one of those halberds that litter Rattay and dropped somewhere in the city. Someone picked it up when i was not looking. Or maybe game just auto removed items dropped by player.

This way you can effectively roleplay a janitor.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Reached end game and the alcoholic debuff is still there.
Can't seem to cure it despite timer running out.
But that's okay, I still hit STR Cap with Artemisia and one hit from the end game hammer (72 Blunt damage) usually enough to kill. OP af.

Too much slashing resist armor in game to make swords worth it in Realism mod. Won a horse race by conking the lead racer with a mace, killing his steed instantly.

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Oh hey, 1.3.4 is about to be released. The patchnotes have already been posted!

Added in version 1.3.4
• Adding nVidia Ansel
• Adding ShadowPlay Highlights
• Bugfix: Random encounters during fast-travel

:negative:

Smejki why nvidia exclusives instead of scripting and texture fixes?

35e.png

There's well over 100 of us. How many do you think does it take to implement 2 nVidia features?
Hint: less than 100
Reality:
nVidia engineers got access to our code they implemented it themselves with a very part-time-y support from exactly one of our coders.

But I guess I should clarify the policies behind patches. The process of reballancing, improving, and fixing the game is planned around major patch versions that is 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and so on.
Whenever we discover a new serious bug introduced by the latest patch or whenever we deem some newly discovered/repro-ed bug too critical and at the same time trivial to fix or whenever there's some special request (like release of nVidia Ansel with start of GDC) a new "hotfix" patch is introduced. These are numbered as sub-versions of the last major patch. As you can see 1.3.4 is a fourth additional patch for 1.3.
1.4 has been finalized on Friday and is being tested. Hopefully releasing it by the end of this week.
1.5 is underway.
Both of these introduce new game-features, assets, and of course fixes. Usually between 200 and 300 issues are addressed with each major patch. One or two things are addressed with hotfixes.

Also, some good news. I have almost nothing to do for 1.5 which means at least from my POV the swamp of issues has almost been drained. Which is fortunate as I was assigned to work on something new. Coming soon.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I just ran into my first game breaking bug. I can't wake up Fritz and complete the "...is a friend indeed" quest without pickpocketing his retarded ass and intentionally failing, which means I have to pay the fine and lose reputation. After talking to him, he IMMEDIATELY GOES BACK TO SLEEP. I have to WAKE HIM UP AGAIN, and when I go to the spot in the game where the fight is, the quest instantly ends in my failure and everyone de-aggros. Everyone starts making grunting fist-fighty sounds while they do it, though, but it comes from all around so, so it sounds like you're being haunted by a gay orgy.

lQnY5Y3.png

I'm getting a little tired of how incomplete this game really is. It's really, really, really, embarrassingly broken. I've had 9 crashes, so I just started modding the game for infinite saves - I don't mind losing progress because I got cocky and rumbled by six guys in plate, I'm less happy about losing progress because...I got off my horse and then entire game broke.

Knock him out in his sleep, drag his body away from the bed, and wait. He will wake up and go back to bed. when he is up, talk to him... Or wait till it's daytime and he actually wakes up..

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I encountered a number of quest bugs in the game, ranging from cosmetic stuff to game-breaking ones, but Gallows Brothers / A Rock and a Hard Place is the first one that's seriously killing my enthusiasm.

It's a rather complex quest with all the optional objectives, different ways to backstab people etc., so issues are to be expected, but goddamn it's broken as hell, all the way to little details like "the money arrives at noon" (it actually arrives around 10 PM, which I figured out after twiddling my thumbs for forty minutes or so). It's initially pretty exciting because the stakes are high, and since the quest takes place over several days, you get a lot of time to mull over your choices and wonder if you just saved your friends or doomed them. When you get to the climax, however, it just falls apart.

I had two principles I wanted to adhere to with this quest: keep your friends alive but don't take the miners' hard-earned money. My Henry is not a bandit (a thief, yes, but in the Robin Hood sense), but he's also not a guy that would let his friends down, even if they're fucking morons. I've been investing into Speech a lot, but there's no option to persuade the two dumbfucks to not commit the robbery. I could've just given them money from my own pocket, but there's no option for that either. This means the only valid course of action is to go with Andrew's "betrayal" and hope that the fools call it off when they see how well the money is guarded. I figured that the best way to guarantee their failure and safety was to go along with them and then point out how stupid their plan is. Of course, no such option is given to you — when push comes to shove, you can only choose between going in stealthy or noisily, or just wait until you fail the quest (which probably leads to the right result but is not really a legitimate or satisfying conclusion (?) to one of the longest quest chains in the game).

I thought I figured out one way to get around the quest, even though it might be more than a bit LARPy: I took the stealthy way, robbed the money and immediately returned it to the chest where I took it from. That way the quest progresses but the miners still get to keep their money. After a couple of failed attempts (first Fritz inexplicably died, then both him and Matthew vanished into thin air...) I go to the meeting spot with Matthew and Fritz to "share the loot", i.e. give both of them a thousand groschen out of my own pocket. I mean, they did do their own part, so it's not just charity, and I can afford it. The problem is that Henry simply tells them to fuck off when you talk to them, with no option to give them the money (probably because it's still in the chest, even though I'm carrying way over 3,000 groschen in my pants). Oh well, it was a silly idea to begin with.

I like that there's some ambition in the quest design. It's probably one of the biggest reasons I really like the game. I also think that having to choose between your friends and your principles could make for a really interesting quest. However, in this case it comes off as a false dilemma since there are so many obvious choices you're simply not allowed to take. Despite all the complexity you feel like you're going on rails with little say in the matter, being forced to do dumb things in order to advance the quest. Having to guess what the writers and developers have thought of and what they haven't is tough enough, but it's made worse when nothing works mechanically either. In the end, it's a mess.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe if you didn't delay completion of quests this wouldn't happen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom