Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator - now with Band of Bastards DLC

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    You shouldn't really have issues with 1 v 1 if you vary it up.
    The winning move is the patient one, waiting for the attack that comes and block into a master strike.
    But that's boring.

The aggressive move is to get in close and tap the block button (Q) to enter a clinch, tap your attack buttons to win and stagger the enemy. That's your chance to attack. If you lose the clinch, just recover stamina and stay on defense before trying again.

Alternatively you can follow Captain Bernard's advice and use feints to switch direction mid swing.
    Or, if you know a swing is coming, you can counter it with a thrust (RMB) since the swing is slower than a thrust.
    Being proactive and trying to test the AI blocking speed with rapid attacks doesn't pay off even in Vanilla. Unless you catch them half asleep at dawn in their camp.

If the above still fails, remember to use Alchemy pre-fight. They're really cost-effective.

Artemisia: +5 STR & WARFARE, green-vision. Big boost to damage.
    Bivoj's Rage: +50% Damage. HUGE damage boost.
    Buck's Blood: 50% Damage reduction. Really nonsensical.
    Bane poison: Does damage over time, apply to weapon - slow but effective.
    Embrocation: +5 AGI & DEFENSE
    Vitality: +50% Max Stamina, huge help when you want to chain strikes.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 8
    • Brofist x 5
    • Creative x 4
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Go check Rattay alchemist shop for recipe and start brewing in the lab behind the building.
    If you can't afford it, then buy the pre-made potions.

For exotic ones like Padfoot (+5 to all thieving skills) and Bane poison (100 damage over time) you have to check with female herbalists located in the wilds.

^ Top  
  3. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    BE PRAISED!

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    This can't be emphasized enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, dumbfucks people who break their own game and then come to complain about it should not be playing RPGs in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    RPG gamers: give us realistic-simulation kind of game.
    Also RPG gamers: I played your realistic-simulation game, I used every gamey trick I know, and I become a God in 5 hours, this game sucks.

Every. Fucking. Time.

It should be self-explanatory. With games that aim for realism, you need to learn to self-restrict your natural gaming instincts to farm, grind and look for shortcuts. Because exactly the same features and systems that make things appear realistic, will usually break the game if used in a gamey way.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fuck off, breaking the game is a :obviously: time honored tradition.

OK, agree however on bitching that it's too easy when you use every trick in the book to break it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Breaking the game is :obviously: if you're doing it on purpose.

Playing it like it's a Dragon Age 4 is not.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    First I brofisted but then thought about it and...not really.

What really breaks the game is the systems tied to stealing, looting and fighting are only half-way to where they should be. They're undercooked.

You get way too rich way too soon because the "stolen" tag disappears way too fast. It probably shouldn't disappear at all (stolen meat tag definitely shouldn't disappear by roasting the meat). The only way to sell stolen shit should be the fencers and they should have a limited amount of purchasing power (both limited money and the willingness to buy big expensive shit). Also stealing gets too easy very quick, people are too oblivious to you rummaging through their houses.

Plus the preorder gear is way too OP for how early in the game you can get it. But that's an RPG tradition since time immemorial, preorder shit is always OP, always out of place and you should never buy it.

And lastly your late game attack/defense scales very poorly. You shouldn't be able to two-hit even elite mobs. Also masterstrokes are too OP and combos useless.

All that is not because people try to break the game, the problem is the game is just too easy to break. But Warhorse don't have to change their realism approach whatsoever, all they need to do to fix it is just tighten up some loose screws, that's it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Yeah, I can't agree with any of that. For a free roam, open world RPG, KCD is already far more restrictive in terms of player movement than any similar game I can think of.

Yes, selling to the fencers doesn't work perfect, but at least there are fencers. Stolen loot doesn't work perfect, but at least there are stolen loot tags. Steatlh system isn't perfect, but it still quite sophisticated with people reacting to sounds, movement and having to actually wear thief clothing if you want to sneak around in the night. Lockpicking system actually requires mastering and failure to open a lock can alert the guards. The inhabitants of the house will follow you if you poke around too long.

Can some of those features be improved? Probably.But we are used to playing shoddily designed games where gamey behaviors are rewarded, instinct sometimes overtakes good sense. It's not that people try to break the game - they just do what they usually do in an RPG, and it breaks the game, because this isn't a traditional RPG.

So polishing the systems - yes please, but ultimately if the player wants to have that realistic feel, he needs to exercise some self-control over his instincts to grind and farm.

I have the same problem with unlimited save mod. If you use that, you will probably not be able to resist save-scumming chests, you will level your lockpicking in unnatural way, and that will end up breaking the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    You wouldn't need self control if the game systems worked properly. The fact you get too rich and OP too quick doesn't have anything to do with realism, at least you haven't provided any specific arguments why it should.

What features and why they make it easier to break the game than a fantasy RPG?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    You will always need self-control, because while systems can be polished, even the most polished system needs to be beatable. If it's beatable, it can be gamed and we are experts at finding ways to game the system without even realizing it.

For example, the fact that enemies use the same stats, equipment and skills as you do. This is a fair and realistic system, but think about it - NPCs aren't going to be farming herbs every waking hour so they can get that Milanese plate armor at leavel 3, and they are not grinding strength with captain Bernard. If you do that instead of progressing naturally, you will break the game.

Meanwhile in your typical modern RPG the enemies have inflated, bloated stats, are HP sponges, have some supernatural abilities that are designed specifically to mess with the player. So grinding doesn't break the game and it's often even required.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Sure but again - all that wouldn't be a problem if, say, the vendors' money limit was much stricter. You could grind nettle picking from dawn to dusk but at the end of the day the town herbalist would only have a few groschen in her pouch and nobody else would buy that shit from you. Which would actually be even more realistic.

So my argument is exactly opposite to yours - most of the problems the game has are because it's not realistic enough.

^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    And you would just fast travel and sell in another town, or wait a few days in Teresa's mill until the shops reset. And now you'll say, fine let's remove fast travel and unlimited meals in the mill, because that's not realistic. So now you'll develop a money farming route - I steal here, sell to a fence here, shoot some rabbits here, the shops reset here, I sleep here, repeat x50 times until I'm filthy rich.

There's always gonna be ways of gaming the system, and increasing the amount of restrictions on the player because he cant' restrict himself, beats the whole purpose of an open world free roaming game.

You would have to be more specific. For example the learn-by-doing skill system by it's very nature is both the most realistic and the most exploitable at the same time. So sometimes choosing realism has side effects.

I would say KCD definitey has money balance problems - even if you are larping a medieval peasant, you peak too easy and it would be better if it happened 10-15 hours later into the game. But that's easily solved with either some adjustments to economy or adding a more endgame loot.

Out of the systems that need work I would say that thieving definitely should be made harder and generally only possible if you do it in the night, wearing black cloth to reduce the light and noise and so on. It's far too easy to just pick entire houses clean in broad daylight. Other systems work quite okay as they are I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Where in God's name does your stuff disappear to in the Masquerade quest?

^ Top  
  16. kalganoat Learned

kalganoat
    Man they patch REALLY slow.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Goddamit, Henry.

[​IMG]

The UI can't even keep up with Henry's drinking

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, it's been nearly a month and a half since release. Should I add this game to the CODEX CURATOR?

Kyl Von Kull Did you ever get around to reviewing it?

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    So far the game sounds to be good enough. Everybody here seems to like the game and it looks like it's complex as well.
    Shouldn't be really a question. You have far worse games on the curator list...

^ Top  
  20. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    Prime Junta has been playing it alot. maybe up to some writin and journalism the right way?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    That's all true except the part about playing it a lot, or indeed at all. My computer's a bit too potato to run it properly so I'm putting it off until I've gotten a better one, which is going to be in the next couple of months after sorting out some other stuff.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    There's already crap of a much more dubious quality on, so I'd say why not.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Elex Scholar

Elex
    or you accept that when you reach the top level of wealth, equipment and power YOU ACTUALLY HAVE GODLIKE POWER AND THE ENTIRE MAP DON'T MAGICALLY GROW UP IN POWER WITH YOU.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    How would you recognize a stolen meat?

Well, I remember games from 20 years ago, and I did game development for about decade. Even larger companies didn't have in game items as pre-order bonuses. Pre-order bonus was a cloth map in limited edition. Or simply getting your game in time to your house, without needing to worry about hiccups in delivery systems and stocks of your local salesman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I just saw the game's wikipedia page.

Jesus F. Christ those cunts are embedded even there.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)