Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator - now with Band of Bastards DLC

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Take off autorun, get low vis and noise clothing at least.

^ Top  
  2. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    Why are there so many snooze inducing side quests ? Every single one consists in a peasant sending me in the middle of the fucking woods, asking me to find a needle in a haystack and play detective Columbo for half an hour. I would understand if they were a little more action oriented, at least it will keep me entertained for a while, but most of them are basic fetch quests that consists in investigating something, find some plants, find a horse, bring me this, bring me that. There's a war going on, dangerous degenerates are roaming the lands and all you can give me is constant peasantry boring me to tears with their boring problems.

The main problem is that you can't find enemies 90% of time if you roam the map without the activities activated and most of these activities given to you by the bailifs consist in a bunch of dumb ruffians placed in the same dumb camp again and again, there's not a single decent action oriented quest with a well designed encounter and that's my biggest gripe with this game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    but im found while stationary and opening chest. Very cleanly i must say.

yeah I have this covered.

Dunno maybe I should just grind sneak at this point. Any pointers how to do it effectively?

^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Another PSA.

-heapsize does nothing (AwesomeButton). it's a command for the source engine for half life 2.

If you want to increase the potential maximum amount of memory the game can access, you need to specify sys_budget_sysmem in megabytes. A good way to budget this is to open all the programs you would normally have open while playing KCD, open task manager and look at the % of ram used/available, then conservatively set the sysmem budget to the amount of free ram your system has. as per normal, put the command in your user.cfg file. Something I found out very recently is that some commands in user.cfg don't load unless you specifically invoke "exec user.cfg" from the console, such as BIND and setting your available VRAM. Thankfully you can automate that adding +exec user.cfg to the KCD launch options in steam, or the shortcut target link.

disclaimer, this also may do nothing other than provide book keeping for memory budgets during debugging, but it may help out. there's some other objectively useful commands here: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/27/?tab=description&BH=0

This is mainly for those of you with texture streaming issues or beefier rigs. Watch out for the mips -3 setting though, it causes slowdowns for some people.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    The side quests aren't really like that. What you are describing are 'activities' the actual side quests have story scenes and more involved quests.

^ Top  
  6. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Hans would say that you are talking like a noble instead of the pig fucking peasant that you are...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Playing GTA taught us to repaint it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The game does not only got English voice overs, it go the English weather too!

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    I've been playing for the past day and I'm extremely impressed. If this keeps up and the game gets patched I don't have many doubts that the game will become a modern classic.

That said, why the fuck do cutscenes run like complete shit?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Thanks, agris ! From my own observations, I was already suspecting that heapsize doesn't do anything. I learned of "+ exec user.cfg" today from some guide, and I'm using it, but my "hide the compass" command doesn't seem to hold for long. I have managed to disable vsync however, so I know the cfg file is loading.

Do you think/is there evidence that tinkering with the RAM available will be much use? I've always tended to have faith in the people with PhDs who write the memory management logic and algorithms.

Something funny I've noticed today - KCD may run laggy when I up the resolution, but even then my videocard temperature remains low, while other games (GTAV, D:OS2) look and run smooth but nevertheless raise the chip temperature over 70'.

In other news, I just spoke with Radzig & co. at Rattay. I haven't played more than 10-15 hours, but I'm awed for a second time by this game! In my personal experience, it was a perfect unison between player and game character. From my past experience with RPGs, I was expecting that as soon as I reach Radzig, he would have some words of reproach for me, due to the way I left Talmberg, but would somehow be happy to take me back in and give me a "quest". I also imagined that the exchange would be under the sign of Henry apologizing for losing the blade, and asking to be allowed to serve as a soldier to Radzig.

It felt like a stroke of genius how my predisposition of a trained RPG player expecting the usual, and Henry's naive ideas first were surprisingly united, and then collectively clashed with the realism and cynicism of "older men". The writing in this scene was on par with anything in Witcher 3. I was sitting jaw dropped in front of the screen and thinking "now he should say this", "now the other one should reply that", and what happened was exactly what I thought, but better worded.

Those were moments of roleplaying. I actully were in Henry's shoes, or as close to that as possible. Great work! Could it be that KCD will turn out to be at the same time a storyfag's paradise, a larper's paradise, a historian's paradise, and a c&c paradise? Time will tell.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nael Arcane

Nael
    Wuddaboutta haircut?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    No, I'm talking about the sidequests and I can actually prove it to you

A Man of the Cloth- Find a priest for the peasants
    Tough Love- Find a house for Elishka to live in
    At you service My Lady- gather a bunch of crap for lady of Talmberg
    Aquarius- Find a cook and 5 carries for the Bailif
    Pestilance- Find a cure for the peasants
    Tricks of The Trade- Listen to some bullshit blacksmith spell
    The Horse that Bolted- Find the horse in the middle of fucking nowhere
    The Sport of Kings- Talk with someone
    A bird in the Hand- Catch birds
    A friend in need- find jobs for your friends
    Next to Godliness- Drink with Hans
    Courtship- Fuck Theresa

And the list goes on and on, I wouldn't mind if there was some balance between menial tasks and some challenging combat, but 90% of the time it's pure boredom running from village to village resolving some pesky squabble between peasants.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Smejki , I found out what the problem was with people and guards acting as if I'm in stealth when I was right in front of them.

Actually my reputation was very low, and when it's very low, and you are a little distance from them, they speak the same lines as if you are sneaking and they suspect they see/hear something.

This brings me to the question of why my reputation was low. When I first passed the good thief quest, I choke-held the executioner who was sitting at his table. Normally, I thought, this would mean no witnesses and no crime reported. But apparently there had been some glitch, mostly because I had come too close to him before pressing F, instead of tapping it as soon as they key hint appeared. He had somehow "seen" me while I had been taking him down, and when he had come to, he had me reported.

While I was returning from the other miller, to whom I had brought the ring, I passed near Rattay's walls. Suddenly I got a "light crime/fine" icon next to my compass. Because it was dark, I assumed that I had been seen by some guard and he wrongly counted me as "breaking night curfew". But when I tried to enter Rattay on the next day, the guard at the gate told me that I had "crippled" someone. That's how I understood that my actual crime had been the taking down of the executioner.

On a sidenote, the Bath works a little weird. They will only wash the clothes/armor you are currently wearing, but not whatever you have, and choose to wash from, your inventory. Also, no matter how many articles of clothing you will get washed, the price is always the same.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Shouldn't you stop playing, if you hate it so much?

I'm undecided on the balance, so far. I don't really want KCD to have more 'epic' stuff, so I'm totally fine with gathering a bunch of crap for the lady. The real question is from a gameplay point of view. The hare hunt or the horse that bolted, as menial as they may be, were actually highlights for me, because they are good examples of how the game systems and quest design encourage you to explore and experience the forest, the game, the archery, the navigation, etc. as an actual medieval peasant/squire/mercenary might. But the whole game can't be full of that, or that quality is going to wear off and then it is going to feel like any other fedex quest. So it really depends for me on how the mix is 20-30 hours in.

^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I like the game but I do agree with dragonul09 . So far it seems only the main quest has any cool medieval political intrigue or combat. Everything else is just fluff, sure some random fun scenes get played but there is so much busy work to get to those scenes.

^ Top  
  16. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Sneak around the town and "take out" sleeping people? I got couple levels of sneak like that.

^ Top  
  17. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    No cause I paid money and can't refund after playing so much, so there's that. And yes the game is brimming with fetch quests to the point that I'm already starting to ignore them because it's just a big waste of time just to see a small boring cutscene of a peasant thanking me for menial crap I did for him. The only thing worthwhile in this game is the main story which has some nice action here and there, but replaying the side quests in the future? Never.

^ Top  
  18. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    My modded New Vegas looks better than KCD and it works at 60fps in 4k :M

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Brozef Learned Patron

Brozef
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Heresy! Last year gave us Grimoire, which makes it the best year by default.

^ Top  
  20. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Henry's completely deadpan delivery made me laugh out loud. :lol:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    I found this quest has a followup. And since I solved it so Elishka would stay, she told me where to search for her sad now-hubby. A light c&c right there.

I liked talking to them all after and seeing how they actually work, although mine seemed pleased enough (except that merchant was sick of Agathas preaching to Lord lol). I wonder if you make like old woman who cried about whooping your ass carry shit what will happen... hey, it pays double!

It was one of the first quests and I already had to grab a sheet of paper and a pencil and write some notes down about who likes what. Good sign for rpg quest design.

^ Top  
  22. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    "SJW is a banned word on Polygon" - Hahaha.

Fucking Stasi cunts.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    Have been playing this for the last two days, the game is great. Haven't had this much fun since ELEX. Encountered some collision bugs from which one made me jump and lose 90% of my health. Good thing I have the save mod :argh:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nael Arcane

Nael
    What a bunch of miserable ppl. I almost feel sorry for them, but I don't, and I hope they burn in Hell.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I dunno about affinities, my CPU cores all around seem to be well utilized, every single one sticking relatively at the same rate of load. There's one core that pushes slightly further but it's more along lines of 70/80/70/70 in wild.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)