Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

KateMicucci

Arcane
If there is a way to block master-strikes other than not triggering them by shift-walking, PLEASE prove me wrong.

I think the idea of fighting the high-level guys is to get into the parry-strike-counterparry-counterstrike loop, resembling real sword exchanges. No idea though what determines who ultimately lands a successful hit. You'd think the AI would be able to perfectly chain the parries forever. They have to have some sort of fail check.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a counterparry. My understanding is that master strike is free unblockable attack that triggers a % of the time based on defense skill.

I just fought four guys in a higher level bandit camp at the same time. Killed the two lighter-armed ones so it was just a warhammer+shield guy and a longsword guy, both in heavy armor. EVERY time I swung at the warhammer guy he got a free masterstrike on me, even though I had a longsword and it seemed like I should have been attacking from outside his reach. Couldn't wait for him to attack me so that I could masterstrike him because there were two of them, so I had to keep backpedalling.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahaha this writing is the best,must say that when it comes to drinking with the priest do it and do his quest also :). I haven't laugh that much from game.

Goth Slaviclly drunk with a priest,fought the local bailiff,rung the church bell for half the night,made a group sex with the priest,his wife and a barmaiden,saw the sunrise while vomiting and in the morning i gave a protestant sermon.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
People should not be too overjoyed about that Quit&Save fix. Vavra right now - "we will add autosaves and probably quit-saves that auto-delete after a load, to avoid exploits".

Jesus, these guys are fucking DETERMINED to keep pissing off 95% of their player base. Because even most prestigious gamers hate that system. Plus THERE IS ALREADY A MOD!

I understand this game would never exist if it wasn't for Vavra earth-shattering pigheadedness but the side effects sometimes...christ.

That's good, a director who sticks to his design and doesn't give his ass away just because of money.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Review said:
The game is also not without its controversies. Warhorse is a team of more than 150 people, but the game’s creative director has gone out of his way to rationalize his support of GamerGate, a loosely knit hate group that has devoted time to harassing women, people of color and journalists in the past. So outspoken is the studio’s leadership on cultural issues that they have found it necessary to work with a German outlet to publish anti-fascist, anti-sexist and anti-racist statements prior to their game’s launch

:lol:

But hey, this has NOTHING to do with the smear campaign by journos against the game or the low metascores (and the gap with player score). 65 for the PS4 version, btw. PC user score is 82. :lol:

Spamming links to that 'Gamergate' interview seems to be a pretty common tactic at the moment, but can be a bit amusing when it falls flat +M

eg comments on Polygon article:
Nt4clT.png

mf2VLr.png
Meanwhile, it's still the top seller on Steam. As if any of the people who would actually buy the game anyway would be affected.

Lefties must feel a familiar pang of butthurt as they shout into the wind.

A feeling they have not felt since...
Rb7mNNv.jpg

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I've been playing for the past day and I'm extremely impressed. If this keeps up and the game gets patched I don't have many doubts that the game will become a modern classic.

That said, why the fuck do cutscenes run like complete shit?

There is a bug whereby when a cutscenes plays the game goes to borderless mode. Pressing alt-enter will fix until they patch it.

Same with fast travel, waiting etc,, the game goes into a mode where VSync, screen options and the like are overridden.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oops game somehow decided to raise my Warfare to 17 and I didn't notice when it happened. Was it a peasant happy with shit carrying job who teached me the way of flying shitfist maybe?

Yeah gotta be him since my Unarmed is also 20!

The shitcarrying shitfist style, my respects to you peasant!

I think I can now just go Saitama on cumans, I don't need weapons anymore, just metal gauntlets would do fine.

Beastro

Arcane
Ok this must be the most surreal review I've seen so far.

A mainstream, casual, dorrito journo HATES the story, writing, dialogues, characters and non-existent reactivity...but DOES like the combat. (Oh and it's nazi, obviously)

So stumped I can't even think of a funny meme to insert here.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/16/170077 ... iverance-impressions

Comments:

At one point, I spent a full real-world hour wandering in the woods looking for someone. Only after traveling past the next town over did I begin to think that I might simply have been given bad directions by an NPC. So I went back to them and used bribery instead of intimidation to open up the only part of their dialogue tree that I hadn’t ventured down yet. It cost me 20 percent of my gold to find out, but sure enough after I used my bribery skill I found the correct instructions that allowed me to quickly wrap up the quest.

Are you sure that’s a bug? It seems like that could be deliberate. If you try to intimidate somebody why wouldn’t they want to fuck with you in return especially if your intimidation skill isn’t high enough.
nos.is.lame
Posted on Feb 16, 2018 | 12:20 PM

Tyreal
When games start handing out false information for quests that’ll only lead players to stop taking quests, period. Quest information in RPGs is sacred.
Posted on Feb 16, 2018 | 4:23 PM

Babies raised on Bethesda's "NPCs never lie to the player" rule. :lol:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^This is amazing. But next time put it in fucking spoilers. (Tho I guess I'd have been trolled by the game too and after 2 hours of rage I'd consult a guide).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah gotta be him since my Unarmed is also 20!

Can you actually see visual improvement with a high Unarmed? Or is fist fighting still as janky a cumbersome as the first battle with Kunesh?
Well I hit fast, hits take little stamina, go through blocks, and during clinch I always seem to win. Takes me 5 seconds to punch someone out right through blocks.

Beastro

Arcane
People should not be too overjoyed about that Quit&Save fix. Vavra right now - "we will add autosaves and probably quit-saves that auto-delete after a load, to avoid exploits".

Jesus, these guys are fucking DETERMINED to keep pissing off 95% of their player base. Because even most prestigious gamers hate that system. Plus THERE IS ALREADY A MOD!

I understand this game would never exist if it wasn't for Vavra earth-shattering pigheadedness but the side effects sometimes...christ.

All you need to do to circumvent the auto-load delete is to copy the save file elsewhere before loading.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the saving system is annoying for people with limited time. I actually think twice about when to play because I'm not sure if I'll be able to save in due time. I get why it's there but yeah, not cool

harhar!

Augur

I don't mind it so much, it seems like a good compromise. With free saving you can't really implement much risk vs. reward, because the player can always take the high reward route and reload, if it doesn't work. Under free saving, the only challenge can come from short term difficulty, like in a fight but not from long term ressource management, which this game obviously heavily relies on.

My biggest gripe with the game is that you have this one point in the story where you have to fight a strong opponent, which fucks over charisma chars. Also the shitty performance and bugs. Otherwise the game is gud.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I added the save mod but only use it when I need to leave the game and a lot of time has passed since my last save. Otherwise it's bed or schnapps for me. That's the nice thing about the mod, you can still use schnapps from your inventory and they will save your game.

KateMicucci

Arcane

I don't mind it so much, it seems like a good compromise. With free saving you can't really implement much risk vs. reward, because the player can always take the high reward route and reload, if it doesn't work. Under free saving, the only challenge can come from short term difficulty, like in a fight but not from long term ressource management, which this game obviously heavily relies on.

My biggest gripe with the game is that you have this one point in the story where you have to fight a strong opponent, which fucks over charisma chars. Also the shitty performance and bugs. Otherwise the game is gud.
There are no "charisma characters", just characters who don't know how to fight yet.

Seethe

Arbiter
Review said:
The game is also not without its controversies. Warhorse is a team of more than 150 people, but the game’s creative director has gone out of his way to rationalize his support of GamerGate, a loosely knit hate group that has devoted time to harassing women, people of color and journalists in the past. So outspoken is the studio’s leadership on cultural issues that they have found it necessary to work with a German outlet to publish anti-fascist, anti-sexist and anti-racist statements prior to their game’s launch

:lol:

But hey, this has NOTHING to do with the smear campaign by journos against the game or the low metascores (and the gap with player score). 65 for the PS4 version, btw. PC user score is 82. :lol:

Spamming links to that 'Gamergate' interview seems to be a pretty common tactic at the moment, but can be a bit amusing when it falls flat +M

eg comments on Polygon article:
Nt4clT.png

mf2VLr.png
Meanwhile, it's still the top seller on Steam. As if any of the people who would actually buy the game anyway would be affected.

Lefties must feel a familiar pang of butthurt as they shout into the wind.

A feeling they have not felt since...
Rb7mNNv.jpg

It takes a special amount of stupid to think that the Metro journalist cares, aside of a handful of twerps. He doesn't give a shit, he got his clicks/views, the devs sold their game, and many, many fools and their money were easily parted. The same fools who gave clicks to Metro also bought the game because it "pisses off the libs", mind you. Who are you fighting against? From outside the bubble, you look like a bunch of retards who are punching thin air, LMAO.

I've spent the last few days on the internet looking for the SJW outrage, but aside of those comments on Polygon, and a thread or two on reddit(they didn't even start the drama), I didn't see anything else. The whole shit is overwhelmingly being discussed by virtual signaling gamergators, who ironically infest the gaming world with their petty politics.

Last edited:

harhar!

Augur

There are no "charisma characters", just characters who don't know how to fight yet.

You can avoid a lot of combat with high speech/charisma and you can even choose perks that make you weaker in combat and stronger in speech. It's kinda bs to then throw you into a situation, where you suddenly need to be a good fighter (or cheese him with the bow as I did).

sparq_beam

If there is a way to block master-strikes other than not triggering them by shift-walking, PLEASE prove me wrong.

I think the idea of fighting the high-level guys is to get into the parry-strike-counterparry-counterstrike loop, resembling real sword exchanges. No idea though what determines who ultimately lands a successful hit. You'd think the AI would be able to perfectly chain the parries forever. They have to have some sort of fail check.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a counterparry. My understanding is that master strike is free unblockable attack that triggers a % of the time based on defense skill.

I just fought four guys in a higher level bandit camp at the same time. Killed the two lighter-armed ones so it was just a warhammer+shield guy and a longsword guy, both in heavy armor. EVERY time I swung at the warhammer guy he got a free masterstrike on me, even though I had a longsword and it seemed like I should have been attacking from outside his reach. Couldn't wait for him to attack me so that I could masterstrike him because there were two of them, so I had to keep backpedalling.

I'm trying to figure this out too, and I'm also constantly getting master-stroked by Bernard. Sometimes he parried, riposted, I parried back, riposted only to be master stroked back with apparently no recourse.

I wonder if the effectiveness of master strokes are determined by the difference in weapon skills, and if a higher level enemy is always going to be able to do it. I'm hoping that this is not the case and there's some way to counter these master strokes, otherwise these are just eye-candy animations that somewhat break the system. The parry/strike loops and combos should be sufficient for an interesting combat system, and if the skill differential effectively determines the outcome, rather than making encounters easier or harder, well, then there's no point in an action based combat system to begin with.

I really don't know if this is the case, I hope I'm proven wrong about this. There's a lot of stuff I'm enjoying in the game, but I was really looking forward to a competent first person sword system.

Dexter

Arcane
I am only keeping Texture quality, object quality and water quality on Very High, the rest is on medium or high. Shader quality is on high. The others are more situational. I have visibility distance maxed out, object LOD at the middle (this also controls when shadows pop in, so it may be major), and foilage LOD maxed out.
kcdgraphicsoptionspers6s7b.png

This is similar to my findings, a lot of the Options don't much differ in Performance from Low to Ultra, although one shouldn't set Lighting to Ultra under any circumstances, since it seems bugged and drastically decreases FPS Indoors. And the Shader Quality, while impacting Performance the most (and I could after getting SLI to actually work aside from really annoying Shadow Flickering that remains while it's enabled through a painful process of Trial&Error even get the game to run at 60FPS at 4K with a Shader Quality of Medium) does a lot for world believability with Tessellation providing depth to the ground instead of leaving it a flat surface with textures painted on, improves the Lighting and tone quite a lot and even the shadows:
kingdomcomemedium-shafdume.jpg

kingdomcomeultra-shadkputh.jpg

I don't really need a "save and quit" option, but saving after completing a quest (you get a save when you start one) would be great.
There are a lot of games where this "situational saving" kind works and meshes well with the gameplay, whether it's some of the Open World games like GTA or AssCreed or Dark Souls where you have to reach that next bonfire etc. What they usually have in common is that they're consistent (the player usually learns when he has to be careful and when he's safe), there's no hybrid system with "You can have unlimited saves and save at any time, but you have to make these potions, which can even be exploited InGame using Alchemy" and they're usually very well and meticulously tested to Save at exactly the right moments and push the player enough so it's challenging but not frustrating and makes sense with the player not losing too much. This doesn't apply to a game where you can fuck around in the woods for 2 or 3 hours, then make a mistake or have a crash and having to redo all of that again, that's usually just plain frustrating, especially since the game is still so bugged with quests breaking or the player suddenly starting to fly and possibly fall to his death and similar.

I got through the Tutorial yesterday, it's well told and interesting but very railroady, sometimes annoyingly so despite the interesting characters. I think they would have been better off if they opened a part of the world up a little after getting out of the Tutorial area and then opened the world up entirely after the Skalitz mission. There will likely be people giving up on the game for thinking it's linear and full of cutscenes.

I only looted a couple of people on my return to Skalitz.
I was overencumbered half of the way there, slowing down to a snails pace near the end, at least I leveled my Herbalism up by 5 Levels or so at the point Henry got to his parents. Already started at weight limit with the stolen guards armor from Talmberg and because I had already emptied the cash flow of the vendors available there and had broken into all the places I could manage. Another opportunity to improve that bit for the people happy to loot their first weapons and armor off of bandits would have been introducing the "stash safe-house" mechanic at the point the player arrives in Talmberg, since he's even given a small room there.

Kingdom come: crusade
Kingdom come: inquisition
These, please.

There are countless possibilities with this genre of historical games, I'm excited only by think about them.
Not only historical games - though something set during the Roman Era that's not as ridiculous as Ryse or Alexandrian Era, something about the Greco-Persian wars, Xenophon's Anabasis and mercenary experience in Persia etc. would be interesting, but also Mythological ones e.g. actually well-made games about Troy or the Odyssey would be great. Instead there's like... Titan Quest and Rise of the Argonauts.
:negative:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Can anyone who got this comment on its performance on low-end systems? Would it give 60fps on a rig with an FX 6300 and RX 550 (@768p) on any settings?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom