Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys should take a cue from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for the sweet melee
To be honest, most FP games with melee combat played better than KC: D.
Even Witchaven...

It just doesn't work well. I get the idea, I see good intentions, but it just doesn't work. It could be improved, made more bearable, but I see no way this system will ever be really good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wasn't sure about the feasibility of authentic FP sword combat either and I'm still not sure. It did work much better than I had imagined but I'll be lying if I said I don't have much more fun with more arcade-y combat like Dark Souls.

On the other hand an action-arcade combat like that would probably look weird in an authentic game like KCD. Tough call.

This game really needs modding capabilities. The most offensive thing is the horse combat, the only way to hit an enemy from horseback is to use a bow or ride through them. Even then I suspect the damage is not from my weapon hitting the enemy but from my horse. It's almost as bad as Skyrim horse combat.
I'm also annoyed that they went as far as to put horse breeds on the mounts, but then none of the horses meshes match up with their breed in reality.

It's also annoying that none of the NPC mounts are any better than the average start of game mounts, so in the end my mounts trot was the speed of everyone else's canter. That was extremely annoying and wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't spend 50% of the game on horseback. Like others posted, the combat is optimized for mid game. The idea that you are useless in the beginning is nice, but learning how the combat works is not very rewarding since in the end you're a juggernaut whirlwind with a zweihander and ripping apart a regiment of cummans on your own. I didn't encounter gamebreaking bugs other than getting stuck within a platform and having to reload a save.

I think that the gameplay would have been more rewarding if the top of your skills is at the level of Captain Bernard. For a game that prides on realism it is a shame that you become a demigod in a few months and better than veterans who have spent all their lives learning how into swordplay. Especially since the selling point is that the main character is a nobody who shovels coal all day in a smithy. The main character is appealing as he's a nobody, just like almost everyone posting here, so I could relate to him very well.

Game of the year for sure for me.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki any chance you could really add manual savegames? I'll be honest, gating them behind certain requisite reminds me of console checkpoints. :P
We could but we won't as long as the people making the call don't change their mind. The tech is ready for it.
However the mod, as far as I was informed, goes around some of our safeguards which might result in a savefile with impossible world state when you create it at some critical moments. These moments are typically extremely short, but numerous.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Smejki any chance you could really add manual savegames? I'll be honest, gating them behind certain requisite reminds me of console checkpoints. :P
Nah, checkpoints are different. In KCD saving is a limited resource with with some minor negative side-effects: drunkenness and encumbrance. You get quite a few saviour schnapps for free though, and as opposed to checkpoint-saving you can choose when to use them. I liked the system though, it made me play more cautious. I was less prone to try out risky stuff, with potentially huge payoffs. At least for the first quarter of the game, as soon as you can brew your own potions saving isn't much of an obstacle anymore.

It's also annoying that none of the NPC mounts are any better than the average start of game mounts, so in the end my mounts trot was the speed of everyone else's canter. That was extremely annoying and wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't spend 50% of the game on horseback.
If you unequip the horseshoes your speed should about match that of your companions. It makes those missions where you're supposed to ride together to follow the conversations a lot less tedious.

On another note, does anyone know what those 'Interesting sites' with wooden statues are supposed to be? It seems like some pagan place of worship, yet the ingame codex gives no information. I found this one near Vranik:
mHWnRBN.jpg

If you unequip the horseshoes your speed should about match that of your companions. It makes those missions where you're supposed to ride together to follow the conversations a lot less tedious.

I am very aware of that, but I had the fast steed perk and that alone broke my speed compared to other riders for good. The point is that it's not just annoying, but truly immersion breaking when you become a medieval demigod who was a nobody up until a month ago and now even your shitty free horse is better than a rich nobles that was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

When you have to self nerf your character to keep immersion, it's no longer a feature but a flaw.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not really about the saves, it's about difficulty options. If schnapps was locked behind a "Hard" mode nobody would give a damn. They would just play Normal.

But judging from the recent talk of the lead designer, who insisted difficulty options are pure evil and a failure of the designer (poor guy thinks all games can and should be like Dark Souls), this is not gonna happen anytime soon.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I wasn't sure about the feasibility of authentic FP sword combat either and I'm still not sure. It did work much better than I had imagined but I'll be lying if I said I don't have much more fun with more arcade-y combat like Dark Souls.

On the other hand an action-arcade combat like that would probably look weird in an authentic game like KCD. Tough call.

The issues with the combat system have nothing to do with realism (of which it has very little...The guards, and some techniques like a half-sword thrust... Not even available with the longsword but only the arming sword or whatever it was, and at the end of one of those useless combos instead of a mode-switch), imo.
It was just a poorly designed system altogether.

Everything from how exactly the stats influenced stuff (which can be done much more sensibly via affecting speed/strength/recovery/thrust accuracy and such instead of stupid perfect block/counter chances of both you and the enemy), to the dumb-ass console-game like combos, the perfect blocks, the controls/camera... Lock-on etc. Very console-y imo, just first person.
No real footwork and weird movement that make your guy feel... Floaty and sluggish. Slow-ass delay on attacks. Can't do a quick thrust to catch the other guy in the visorless face... Henry needs to first telegraph the fuck out of his attack, meaning it always gets blocked unless you win the diceroll or the enemy glitches.
Hell, targeting also sucked.

The damage system is also nonsense (unless they changed it since I played). You/enemies take damage after stamina is depleted only (except arrow damage?).
The weaponry was very limited/not properly implemented (polearms).
Also no grappling (crucial part of melee combat) aside from a bit of clinching.

I'm kind of bummed that so many (esp. elsewhere) seem to think that the attempt at realism (such as it was in terms of the silly combat system) was the problem here.
A real life beginner can fight better than Henry (and especially move much faster) with a few months training, tops.
Combat system/implementation was the biggest flaw in the game for me (well the bugs/performance second).

On another note, I wish we'd been able to change more about our character's starting skills. What the hell did he do all his life? All you get at the start of the game is +1 or so to some stats depending on whether you say you slept with the tavern chick the previous night or whatever.
Why couldn't he have been part of the local militia/guard, start with some basic gear and combat skills?
Maybe he actually learned some smithing/maintenance from his dad? Nope. Or at least only barely.
Worked as an apprentice for a hunter? Nope.
Work in the silver mine? Nah.
Nada.

At the age you start the game you'd think Henry wouldn't be such a near-blank slate, or was it customary in that area at that time to raise your kids as useless NEETS?

Hell, you'd think Henry would know how to wrestle at least.

Last edited:

aeroaeko

Learned
can i buy the dlc after i finish the main game or are they in the middle somewhere? i'm about to buy this and i'm not sure if i'll like it enough to justify buying the dlc too.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Feargus Jewhart

Here's a short demonstration video about murdering with a sword while on horseback. While making the video I even managed to hunt down some game as I got two deers with my long sword. The second kill (the easy one) is at the end of the clip. I say 'easy' because it happened on a pathway. I got the first deer while galloping in a forest.

Dealing with Cumans and bandits the same way is no different, just takes a fair bit longer.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://www.onlysp.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-warhorse-studios-interview-part-1/

“The plan right now is to get a staff of 150 in the next two years […] or next year maybe.” To better allow for this growth, the team will be moving its office early next year, as the staff numbers are already overflowing.

https://www.onlysp.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-warhorse-studios-interview-part-2/

the investor who supported Kingdom Come: Deliverance when no-one else would continues to be involved—not to mention “very happy. He made a lot of money,” according to Bocan.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Wait, how am I seeing this concept art for the first time in press now instead of internally some time ago?
KCD1.jpg

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

KCD didn't receive a single nomination for anything at this year's Dorito Pope awards.
This is an outrage! :argh:

Only way Deadfire could have won was if it was surrounded with bunch of j(erk)rpgs and Kingdom Come didn't participate.

Won? Yes, won. It's clear as day who'll win here. It's so rigged it makes North Korea's elections look democratic. But-t NK doesn't have...Exactly!

This is welcome wedding gift to Obsidian from new husbando Microsoft. That's all

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Maybe they misspelled Kingdom Come: Deliverance as Kingdom Octopath Traveler?

Not even sure this Octodad's sequel exists! Gotta google its existance

UPDATE:
Apparently it exists on Nintendo Switch...
:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited:

Simple Simon

Scholar
Monster Hunter is not an RPG. You are always a hunter, the only choice you get to make is what weapon you use to kill monsters. Personally, Octopath Traveler is my favorite game on that list but I recognize it is pretty niche and probably not going to win.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Monster Hunter is the most popular, so it is going to win. In the absence of Kingdom Come (which I would bet is 100% driven by the motherfuckers not willing to support anything Vávra ever does due to his calling them out on their bullshit) I was forced to vote for Deadfire as the only actual WRPG on the list... :(

Paul_cz

Arcane
Oh for fuck sake..even at Golden Joystick cringefest KCD actually was nominated for best PC game, and ended in second place by 17 votes to Subnautica.
On one hand it is pretty cool success, given that subnautica has around 3 million owners on steam, but still, what a bummer for warhorse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom