Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point. I just keep getting wrecked by ambushes. Hard to get through any travel without one or two and I can only escape from about half and the other half has 8 people, sometimes in full armor. I have some armor and a mace. What should I be doing differently?

..get a better horse and gallop away

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I've heard you can now play as a girl in this game. Is it true, or was I lied to?
A_Woman's_Lot.jpg

awomanslot.jpg

A Women's Lot DLC, discussed in numerous posts in this thread.

Complete pointless addition that serves no purpose. No woman will play this game, and guys playing as female is faggotry.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW, I really like how Theresa looks, as computer game female characters go. Understated beauty, intended to grow on you, as opposed to having a typical Hollywood attractiveness. No trace of the "strong independent" cliche in the character. IMO, it's a guideline for how female characters should be in games. I'm kind of interested in the DLC just to see how much it develops her as a character, what do we learn about her. She was rather undeveloped in the base game. Not that there was much devoted to Henry's own development, his thoughts on the world and on other people, even with everything he was going through, but I can understand why that was.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
DLC A Woman's Lot provides a separate ca 3-5 hour story line where you play as one of the hero's closest female friends. The DLC also includes another female-centered 7-12 hour quest line, but you play as Henry there.
Its been a while since I played, but don't you have the option of just running past her when she's being attacked? Does that impact the DLC?
elaborate pls.
Running past her = running to a horse without much noise, hopping on it, riding away. OR there is a timeout I think, if you slack around for too long
Saving her = making noise (primarily whistling) or attacking the cumans

Codex Year of the Donut
DLC A Woman's Lot provides a separate ca 3-5 hour story line where you play as one of the hero's closest female friends. The DLC also includes another female-centered 7-12 hour quest line, but you play as Henry there.
Its been a while since I played, but don't you have the option of just running past her when she's being attacked? Does that impact the DLC?
elaborate pls.
Running past her = running to a horse without much noise, hopping on it, riding away. OR there is a timeout I think, if you slack around for too long
How does the DLC work if you just leave her there? :M

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
elaborate pls.
How does the DLC work if you just leave her there? :M
The cutscene of her survival of that event is different, but that's about it. You find bigger consequences in the base game.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, more general thoughts on the combat in KCD, now that I've slogged away for a while longer at it. Perhaps these notes help anyone else struggling.

The key piece of knowledge I was missing in KCD was the fact that in general damage is done only once your stamina falls to zero. If you keep your stamina high then hits have no effect on your health bar (but they do reduce your stamina). Stamina is thus a form of passive defence. Perhaps this was mentioned in the game but it seems like I wasn't listening and didn't learn it.

This has a few upshots in terms of strategy. Firstly and most obviously: try to avoid your stamina falling to zero. Retreat or otherwise force breaks in the action when your stamina gets low.

Secondly, you should press your enemy when you have a stamina advantage over him. I wasn't do this and so was doing very little damange. Good times for aggression are: after you've blocked an attack from him (ideally via perfect block) but also if you hear the enemy panting which indicates that they are low on stamina. Obviously as max stamina is capped by current health if you lose health your stamina capacity is reduced too and it looks like this is true for your opponent as well. Consequently, if you manage to get your opponent down to two thirds health or so without taking much damange yourself the battle is effectively over as you can just bombard your opponent continually until KO/death/yield. NPCs don't always seem to act on this so the same isn't always true in reverse: sometimes the player can claw back from half health against an enemy on full health.

Thirdly, you will get very quickly rinsed if you are being attacked by multiple NPCs simultaneously - multiple attacks will eat through your stamind quickly if you get surrounded. Never allow yourself to be surrounded and keep moving backward and strafing to allow to concentrate your attacks on the most damanged opponent. Even if you are in decent armour a crew of peasants in ratty shirts with seaxes can quite easily overwhelm you if they manage to surround you.

The exception to all of this is apparently certain combos which always break through stamina to deal directly with your health and some (random?) ripostes that happen occasionally when you a perfect block is done. As I've made the decision to make a mid-game switch from bastard sword to mace in order to deal with the fairly large number of enemies that were in chainmail or even full plate I haven't really gotten a chance to use too many of these myself but I've had people use them against me and they're a big advantage.

Unfortunately what this all means is that Cpt Bernard is a uniquely poor NPC to spar with in order to gain experience at lower levels. Recieved wisdom is that he's more or less the strongest combatant in the game. The stamina difference between Bernard and even mid level player character is presumably enormous but that hardly matters because he's happy to riposte and use combos continually which makes stamina nearly irrelevant. He's particularly poor training for the long, fairly slow opening part of evenly-matched battles before either of you have taken any meaningful damange.

I gained more combat levels in a single encounter with a wayfaring knight than I have done from multiple sessions with Cpt Bernard. I was also on 90% health afterwards and didn't have to run to the bathmaids (highly recommend the Troubadour perk for free bathmaids btw)

On weapons: there are three kinds of damange in kcd: stab, slash and blunt. You need blunt damage to deal with people in good armor, especially plate. Maces do primarily blunt damage. Axes do a mix of all three. Swords of all the various kinds - 1h, 2h, hunting swords, etc - do stab and slash damage and so are pretty much useless unless you're slashing peasants and and serve mostly as a tempting way to gimp your character early on.

I'm not clear yet what the trade off is with shield vs no-shield.

My tips on dealing with ambushes (beyond getting a better horse, which it turns out is actually quite expensive): always do the "scout" (or similar) option and never attempt to evade. If you evade and fail, you'll be immediately surrounded and that is certain death. If you scout and notice it's an armoured group you can go back they way you came. If instead you fancy your chances you can open combat with an arrow or two, which helps quite a lot.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My tip on dealing with ambushes is to play on Hardcore and not be able to fast travel. Although I think I was "ambushed" once while galloping away on my merry way. Suddenly my horse reared, threw me off and about 8 bandits jumped out of the bushes, surrounded me and immediately killed me. I guess this is a non-fasttravel ambush?

Also Bernard pisses me off too, levelling up with him is very tedious. Shit barely creeps up with the slow learner perk on and he actually hurts you even with wooden weapons. But maybe that's just hardcore thing.

So far the biggest obstacle about my hardcore, all-negative-perks-on run is not being able to see myself on the map. During the Capon hunt quest I went to sleep in the camp and woke up before dawn...somewhere. At that point you still don't have a horse and don't know jack shit about the map. It took me about 30 mins. of vigorous sprinting around to find my way back. I wish there was SOME limited way to see yourself, maybe with a consumable you can buy or brew. The first few times you get lost is hilarious but it gets old fast.

The only other thing that's remotely a problem is the Shakes perk. It's completely fine for pickpocketing and lockpicking, barely notice it, but goddamn, levelling up my bow is annoying as fuck. You can't just shoot randomly, you have to be hitting a moving target or winning an archery tourney and that's difficult AF with how the bow bobs and weaves like a fucking Muhammad Ali. A hunter will teach you but I was shocked how little progress I got for my 60 jewro. All in all I had to win about 15 Advanced tourneys in Rattay and hunt a bunch of rabbits - through tears, blood, sweat and lot of cursing - just to get up my bow to lvl 5. And then I discovered it's useless in combat anyway because you can't just backpedal and shot fools in the head anymore, they don't allow you to.

But those are about the only problems worth mentioning. So far I'm absolutely adoring every single minute of this game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
So far the biggest obstacle about my hardcore, all-negative-perks-on run is not being able to see myself on the map. During the Capon hunt quest I went to sleep in the camp and woke up before dawn...somewhere. At that point you still don't have a horse and don't know jack shit about the map. It took me about 30 mins. of vigorous sprinting around to find my way back. I wish there was SOME limited way to see yourself, maybe with a consumable you can buy or brew. The first few times you get lost is hilarious but it gets old fast.
This is by far my favourite feature of hardcore. So refreshing actually getting lost in a game. Don't think that has ever happened to me before due to the prevalence of GPS GUIs.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cracked it now. Clearing out the bandit camps with no damage. The boy is a mace-wielding mensch.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been reading all the raging about fighting multiple mobs and I gotta say, it was 100% true. It's completely, utterly, irredeemably idiotic. No idea how this passed QA.

In general this combat is great on paper but is hampered by two things. First, masterstrikes. You either fight low level mobs and then you can just spam left click and they die. No need for finesse. OR you fight high-level enemy and then all you do is circle him and wait for him to strike (once in 20 seconds) so that you have a chance for a master strike. You can quickly forget any feinting or combos, everything will get perfect blocked and sometimes masterstriked.

And second, multiple mob fights are a disaster. This duel-oriented combat system totally fails handling more than one mob, two at the most. My Henry is a decent fighter in full plates. But when I was ambushed by about 6 dudes in plain clothes with sticks and a dog I didn't get a chance to do a single thing. The dog kept jumping on me and the dudes kept wailing on me and depleted my stamina almost immediately.

I appreciate they tried to do something new and clever but it mostly fails. The masterstrike problem should be solvable but as long as they stick with this first-person perspective, automatic-locking system this combat will only be fun for 1v1 duels or tournaments.

Paul_cz

Arcane
And second, multiple mob fights are a disaster. This duel-oriented combat system totally fails handling more than one mob, two at the most. My Henry is a decent fighter in full plates. But when I was ambushed by about 6 dudes in plain clothes with sticks and a dog I didn't get a chance to do a single thing. The dog kept jumping on me and the dudes kept wailing on me and depleted my stamina almost immediately.

On one hand, I agree that the camera locking to opponent works badly when fighting against multiple people and mechanically it sucks

But on the other hand fighting against multiple opponents (especially 4+) should be nearly if not completely impossible, so I actually do not mind the mechanical deficiency at all. It fits the game. It forces me to use my bow, to run, to try and get enemies hit by their own arrows etc. Yes sometimes they gang up on me and I die, but so fucking what? That's what would happen IRL too if I let them gang up.

Quillon

Arcane
Nope, don't let your #1 apologist fanboy on codex fool you Warhorse, even the #2 can see that first person melee combat sucks balls! It doesn't even work properly 1 on 1 let alone handling groups. Change it and change the engine if you can :D

Paul_cz

Arcane
Nope, don't let your #1 apologist fanboy on codex fool you Warhorse, even the #2 can see that first person melee combat sucks balls! It doesn't even work properly 1 on 1 let alone handling groups. Change it and change the engine if you can :D
Fuck off, I couldn't care less if Warhorse changed the combat system to something Mordhau-like, I enjoy both

But I do want engine to stay because I love how the game looks and feels to play, it is different from the overused Unreal and more distinct

Also, I do not want to wait 8 years for a sequel again

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For this kind of game Mordhau combat would be an improvement but an FP combat is and always will be inferior to TP. You can't simulate human peripheral vision, the only solution is to go 3rd person.

Vavra kept saying FP is more immersive, and it is, but it's not a huge difference and you're sacrificing a lot by not going TP. That said, if they solved the masterstrike problem this combat could be a giant heap of fun for 1v1 duels and tourneys, even multiplayer. Oh, provided you play with a controller. With M&K the combos are very hard to pull off. Not that they're useful anyway.

It's not spoiling my enjoyment of the game too much, I'm playing a stealth char anyway plus going heavy on fighting is incredibly expensive on hardcore (a single scuffle with a few bandits could easily cost you 2k+ gold just on repairs), but it's a shame. Especially when an archer build is not viable either, especially with the Shakes malus.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the problem with mob combat is not the inability to effectively engage with multiple mobs. it's fine, especially in highly autistic LARP simulator that this game is, but there are some instances where you have to deal with large mobs in some of the quests, that ended up being you kiting bunch of enemies with ranged and abuse the "free swing" system and stupid AI. it would be fine if the encounters are designed around 2-3 enemies max.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The cuman camp infiltration is fucking finnicky beyond all reason. Even if you have full cuman armor AND high speech AND you get there at night, there are always soldiers that are awake. There is one sitting on a bench next to the main entrance. I've reloaded maybe 20 times now and he recognizes me in about 50% of the cases. Then he gets up, keeps slowly following me around the camp and if he catches me and talks to me I have only two options - a charisma check or fail. And the charisma check is unwinnable, even with much higher charisma than him. If I stealth kill him, someone in the dark "sees" i. If I stealth kill any sleeping soldier people close by immediately wake up, even with 0 noise.

If by some scripting miracle I manage to pass by him and get to the bandit camp I can poison their food. I've tried about 5 times. I put Bane in the pot, nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then suddenly the entire camp magically wakes up and starts fighting me.

What is the point of the infiltration route when everyone has superhuman abilities?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The cuman camp infiltration is fucking finnicky beyond all reason. Even if you have full cuman armor AND high speech AND you get there at night, there are always soldiers that are awake. There is one sitting on a bench next to the main entrance. I've reloaded maybe 20 times now and he recognizes me in about 50% of the cases. Then he gets up, keeps slowly following me around the camp and if he catches me and talks to me I have only two options - a charisma check or fail. And the charisma check is unwinnable, even with much higher charisma than him. If I stealth kill him, someone in the dark "sees" i. If I stealth kill any sleeping soldier people close by immediately wake up, even with 0 noise.

If by some scripting miracle I manage to pass by him and get to the bandit camp I can poison their food. I've tried about 5 times. I put Bane in the pot, nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then suddenly the entire camp magically wakes up and starts fighting me.

What is the point of the infiltration route when everyone has superhuman abilities?

Think you can cause the guy to get lost if you run through the camp and then come back in from the other side. Anyway, its an optional quest.

Quillon

Arcane
Anyway, its an optional quest.

So? That didn't stop Warhorse to promote the game with that quest especially. I also tried doing that quest sneakily but it was frustrating af, which is why I wiped the whole encampment out with a bow then I poisoned their food and burned their arrows in case they'd get resurrected over night by their evul necromancer, which they did. Great fantasy game KDC.

thesecret1

Arcane
But when I was ambushed by about 6 dudes in plain clothes with sticks and a dog I didn't get a chance to do a single thing. The dog kept jumping on me and the dudes kept wailing on me and depleted my stamina almost immediately.
IIRC didn't they market this as a feature? "Fighting multiple opponents is extremely hard IRL, and so our game also has winning a fight against multiple opponents be a heroic feat" or something like that?

Codex Year of the Donut
So it's realistic

On one hand, I agree that the camera locking to opponent works badly when fighting against multiple people and mechanically it sucks

But on the other hand fighting against multiple opponents (especially 4+) should be nearly if not completely impossible, so I actually do not mind the mechanical deficiency at all. It fits the game. It forces me to use my bow, to run, to try and get enemies hit by their own arrows etc. Yes sometimes they gang up on me and I die, but so fucking what? That's what would happen IRL too if I let them gang up.

Disagree heavily.
If this is intended then Henry should be able to take people with him into combat. In real life, even codexers can pay people to be their friend. Not so in KCD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom