Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

vota DC

Augur
And then the stolen goods system.
"Hand over your stolen goods. This, this and that is stolen."
"I won't buy those things. They are clearly stolen."
Yeah, they must've known it's not the ideal solution.

My idea is way better - you can't sell armor and weps to normal merchants at all. It'd be easily explained with "if a peasant came to an armorer shop with an expensive piece of armor to sell the merchant would immediately call a catchpole". Or maybe you could only sell one piece a week or so and you'd need a speech check ("I found it on a dead bandit, I swear!"). You could only sell without limits to fences and they would have much more limited wallets and no gold stacking either.
Funny thing Is that you can sell tons of weapons and shields dropped by bandits while armor of cumans that kidnapped capon are stolen and hare that capon asked you to hunt are looted corpses. Also picking wine near a corpse isn't stealing.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
In many other RPGs shopkeepers know something was stolen somewhere at the other side of the country. Even if the previous owners are dead.

overly excitable young man

The larping aspects are also too much for me.
Sleeping i get, but couldn't the Innkeeper at least stay awake?

I couldn't make a quest because it was raining.
They went a little overboard with it.
I honestly wish they would go even more overboard. I have never been as immersed in a game as in KCD, maybe except STALKER trilogy and RDR2. I love this "teleport to another time" aspect of it.
So they made the monastery just for you? You could larp there all day.

Also could the game please stop taking my stuff away?
First in the monastery and now in the camp.
This is still an rpg for gods sake.

To each his own.
Could only endure one day.
Bought lockpicks and killed him in his sleep as the idiot tells you he's Pious.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly I don't understand how anyone who hates the monastery quest can even bear playing KCD. The whole point of this game is full immersion hard larp and the monastery quest is the pinnacle of that.

If you can't get into the larping mindset the game must feel like an unbearable string of dull chores - eating, washing, riding through a countryside without any snow peaks or elven ruins or lava pools with demons flying around...

I have nothing against the stuff you mentioned.
I just really dislike the schedule.

If they gave me some timed quests i had to do for the day i would've been happy.
Or even if they just made cutscenes what i have done and then let me play on.

Or just like the monastery quests in Risen.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, first day in the monastery was fine but it just felt like a time waster, it was the same every day with no impact, was just larping for larping's sake. Would have preferred it if it gave the option to skip everything to the free roaming time to talk to NPCs and then choose what to do during night time or something.

Even then man, that's not really my idea of fun.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah, first day in the monastery was fine but it just felt like a time waster, it was the same every day with no impact,
That's literally the point though. To show how life in monastery is, at least in this limited videogame form.
Yes, it is not supposed to be "fun" and that's a good thing, not everything has to be.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, first day in the monastery was fine but it just felt like a time waster, it was the same every day with no impact,
That's literally the point though. To show how life in monastery is, at least in this limited videogame form.
Yes, it is not supposed to be "fun" and that's a good thing, not everything has to be.

It IS supposed to be fun IF you're willing to larp, to put yourself in the monk's robe and try to live like them 600 years ago.
It's the difference between an Avengers movie fun and a historic documentary fun.

The truth is in the middle. Creating historically realistic settings like the monastery in KCD is a good thing, but a much better way to handle it from gameplay design perspective would've been to give you more interesting objectives and gameplay related to it. You could've still snuck around the place, but maybe could've been allowed to conceal a sword under your robe, ran into some dangerous parties at night and had a swordfight in the basement, etc.

The benefit of historically accurate stuff in games is that it forces developers to create more in-depth systems and stories than typical fantasy drivel, but it must always be balanced against entertaining gameplay.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Releasing modding tools so long after release of the game is great news to the whole modding community and modders of Kingdom Come game, all 2 of them.
I 've heard they are incredible happy now and are working on naked , big titties female model mod, it's planned to release next year around september, so stay tuned !
Having around millions of modders and subscribers like Skyrim / Fallout on Nexus Mods is within a grasp now.
nerds-1mk46l.jpg

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Yeah, first day in the monastery was fine but it just felt like a time waster, it was the same every day with no impact, was just larping for larping's sake. Would have preferred it if it gave the option to skip everything to the free roaming time to talk to NPCs and then choose what to do during night time or something.

Even then man, that's not really my idea of fun.
Instead of wasting time, you can actually learn some prayers in latin there you mongrel.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i backed the game way back in 2013 and i got access to the prototype. i decided to screencap and preserve this terror:

D16A492DC09BE4BEE2F1DDF6BA38F539007F9D89

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The fun is in the game throwing you in an unfamiliar environment, stripping you of your equipment, and demanding you complete the objective using all you've learned about the game so far to do so.
The execution is the problem, they tried to crowbar a Hitman clone into this single quest when the game already has a hard time working normally and the results are as you'd expect.

vota DC

Augur
i backed the game way back in 2013 and i got access to the prototype. i decided to screencap and preserve this terror:

D16A492DC09BE4BEE2F1DDF6BA38F539007F9D89

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Prototype had zombies. Definitive version has only Negan. Seems legit, he did a great job exterminating them.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The fun is in the game throwing you in an unfamiliar environment, stripping you of your equipment, and demanding you complete the objective using all you've learned about the game so far to do so.
The execution is the problem, they tried to crowbar a Hitman clone into this single quest when the game already has a hard time working normally and the results are as you'd expect.
Maybe it is because I played it only few months back with all patches, but I had no problem with its execution and enjoyed it thorougly.

Funposter

Arcane
Maybe it is because I played it only few months back with all patches, but I had no problem with its execution and enjoyed it thorougly.
As someone who played that quest within days of release (Steam achievement says 19 Feb, and release was the 13th) I can say that while it DID work, and while I did enjoy it, it's also the point where you could see the game beginning to break under the weight of its own systems. Events in the quest would sometimes trigger, and other times wouldn't, seemingly at random. I once had the monastery residents all gather in the courtyard with an announcement made of a need for extra guards, which I believe is only supposed to happen when a murder has taken place, but I hadn't murdered anyone. Reloading a save from maybe fifteen minutes earlier stopped this from happening, and I was able to continue the quest without the hindrance of extra patrols. Some aspects also feel poorly explained, and I'm never sure whether or not the intention was for the player to discover what the limits of monastery life were, or whether the devs just didn't explain it properly. A good example is the ability to skip Matins, or any prayer session, by simply showing up at the beginning and making sure to be there at the end. This, seemingly, allows you to use this time to go snooping around, but also sometimes it doesn't and you get yelled at.

Ultimately, the problem with the quest is that the best way to deal with it is to just bust in and murder the relevant person by looking at a guide online and finding out who it is. Not even looking at a guide and following the precise instructions, but just looking for a picture of the NPC, finding him in-game and murdering him.

Modron

Arcane
Also probably depends on how high your stealth skills are, i was only there for 4 days (one more than needed because I didn't realize the escape process would require a few earlier time of day preparations from when I triggered it) so I enjoyed the change of pace and exploring all the content, I wish they fleshed out the election plot a little more nothing really happens/no reward for informing one candidate of the going ons about the place felt like a quest that didn't escape the cutting room floor.

vota DC

Augur
Was playing with the devil badpatched? I remember never interfere so I don't lockpick and woodcutters do dirty work for me destroying witches in my place so I had zero civilian killed counter, now I just fail the quest and the witches come home.

As someone who played that quest within days of release (Steam achievement says 19 Feb, and release was the 13th) I can say that while it DID work, and while I did enjoy it, it's also the point where you could see the game beginning to break under the weight of its own systems. Events in the quest would sometimes trigger, and other times wouldn't, seemingly at random. I once had the monastery residents all gather in the courtyard with an announcement made of a need for extra guards, which I believe is only supposed to happen when a murder has taken place, but I hadn't murdered anyone. Reloading a save from maybe fifteen minutes earlier stopped this from happening, and I was able to continue the quest without the hindrance of extra patrols. Some aspects also feel poorly explained, and I'm never sure whether or not the intention was for the player to discover what the limits of monastery life were, or whether the devs just didn't explain it properly. A good example is the ability to skip Matins, or any prayer session, by simply showing up at the beginning and making sure to be there at the end. This, seemingly, allows you to use this time to go snooping around, but also sometimes it doesn't and you get yelled at.

Ultimately, the problem with the quest is that the best way to deal with it is to just bust in and murder the relevant person by looking at a guide online and finding out who it is. Not even looking at a guide and following the precise instructions, but just looking for a picture of the NPC, finding him in-game and murdering him.
I just wanted to accuse everybody and the first guy you accuse immidiately tells you that he's Pious. That isn't done well.
You should need to have some evidence.

i love the monastery. it's really love / hate thing. either you're an autist history nerd, or just wanna play videogame.

i personally fucking love it tho.
I really loved the art design of the whole monastery. Just went sightseeing as soon as i got it there.
But the thing with the schedules isn't really worth it.
I mean i have the imagination to know how it looks when monks are singing or eating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom