Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

I confess I'm a cheapskate and greedily grab all the free shit Epic throws out for the plebs. Now it's this game so I decided to download it. Took five hours with their shitty client. And it seems Warhorse decided to add the (optional) Epic-DRM-chains to the game. That's something I don't understand: Why do devs sell their games both with and without DRM on different platforms? Why not show a clear stance in this question, either pro or contra? I mean neither Steam nor Epic force DRM on games they sell, it's always the dev's decision to do so. Anyway, game uninstalled, fifty-something GB hdd-space saved. No DRM on my watch.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Two years already? I was never able to cope with their decision to castrate the original graphics quality from the beta in the release. The game still lies on my hd, I never played it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Instead I regularly started the beta again and gazed upon the uncomparable beauty of these woods.

If they kept the graphic fidelity from the beta you'd need HAL 9000 to run the finished game.
The beta ran not too badly on a moderatly powerful computer. I heard they crippled it because of the consoles but I'm not sure if that's true.

Why else would they do it.

Fucking consoles.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I confess I'm a cheapskate and greedily grab all the free shit Epic throws out for the plebs. Now it's this game so I decided to download it. Took five hours with their shitty client. And it seems Warhorse decided to add the (optional) Epic-DRM-chains to the game. That's something I don't understand: Why do devs sell their games both with and without DRM on different platforms? Why not show a clear stance in this question, either pro or contra? I mean neither Steam nor Epic force DRM on games they sell, it's always the dev's decision to do so. Anyway, game uninstalled, fifty-something GB hdd-space saved. No DRM on my watch.

Don't be THAT cheap.

The game is 75% off on GoG. No drm guaranteed. And you can buy the edition with all the dlc (I'm guessing the Epic free version was without additional content, so that people would actually spend money purchasing the dlcs).

Don't be THAT cheap.

The game is 75% off on GoG. No drm guaranteed. And you can buy the edition with all the dlc (I'm guessing the Epic free version was without additional content, so that people would actually spend money purchasing the dlcs).
It's only 50% off - until you want to purchase the whole package which will still cost you 83 bucks (at least in my country). Anyway you are right, I probably should give it a try, 15 bucks for the base game isn't too much. Are there any dlcs worth purchasing or will I be fine with the base game?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You don't have to buy the whole package, because that means buying the DLC three times.

Either get Royal Edition or the base game plus the Royal DLC, which somehow is $5 cheaper than buying the Royal Edition.

The pricing is all over the place.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I guess it's a decent medieval game, just don't expect reflexes to matter a lot in melee since combat attributes affect the outcome of your attacks.

The only reflexes you can employ is archery. And it is kinda cheap winning the advanced archery contest for easy groschen at the beginning to afford nice potion recipes.

My biggest complaint is probably the lack of enemy variety and set pieces.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So i started playing this game. I bought the Royal edition on GOG a couple of months ago and with the recent Epic release i decided to try it out (the GOG version, not the Epic one).

I have to say i really like the atmosphere and, of all things, the UI. I just like all these little ornaments, the drawings on the codex pages (all of which were so far very interesting to read, though at some points i was thinking i might getting spoilers for the story by reading the historical events :-P), even the sliding rock sound when the inventory/map/etc screen opens. And noticed that at a couple of points the text in these codex entries referred to the actual keys i configured instead of the default keys (which reminded me of my adventures in Skyrim trying to solve the puzzle of figuring out what key does the default indicated one really refers to).

Having said that...

I've played up to arriving at the second castle and sleeping until the next day when the army arrives.

I have to say, i'm not a fan of how much scripted the game is so far. It really feels as my participation up to this point has been to move Henry around so that i can unlock the next cutscene - and those cutscenes aren't that short. They are very well animated and acted (i especially liked forging the sword and the one where the lord of the first castle arrives to the second during the storm), but i caught myself sitting back to my chair as if i was watching some movie - and then the cutscene ends and i realize that, oh yes, now i can play again.

This isn't only the cutscenes though, even some gameplay bits felt like that. The part where i have to brawl with the guy to give me the money he owes my father felt like i was *meant* to lose (despite getting both strength points before that) so that the game can "teach" me lockpicking but i had to first get a lockpick from a friend of mine - but the game didn't give me that option. My guess is that i had to follow with the "quest" where we'd throw shit at someone's house but it didn't sound like a good idea so i declined. However even after finding my friends after they threw said shit, i couldn't ask for the lockpick (the game wouldn't even let me initiate a conversation) - it seems i really had to do things in the very specific order they were scripted.

(at least i found another way to get money for the main quest - namely, i picked a bunch of flowers and sold them to the trader)

The "do things in a predetermined order" feel was also when i left the castle to run for the second one. I died a TON of times trying to figure out what exactly to do as no matter what i tried, i would die - often because i didn't run fast enough, or ran to a dead end (especially if i decided to save Theresa) and got surrounded by enemies, or... for some unfathomable reason the game decided to autolock to an enemy while i'm trying to run away. Or i call for the horse at the wrong time and it is too far from me to reach it before getting surrounded again.

But eventually i figured that out and played the next scripted sequence where i have to run away while i am being pursued (since there is a whole cutscene after that about driving the pursuers away there is no way for me to get rid of them, i can only try to keep the horse's stamina levels high enough so that it wont stop, but at least that was easy enough).

Is it going to be like that for the rest of the game or it is just a long tutorial section? So far i do not feel like i have much agency in the game. Is it just a slow starting game?

deuxhero

Arcane
The fight with Kunush is absolutely winnable, though the problem is the combat is both poorly explained by the first tutorial (there's a more extensive one after the opening) and a key ability (perfect blocking/counter) isn't usable yet even though every random shmuck can do it to you. Worst case, just punch him, run away till he stops fighting back, return, and punch him again (this only works because he's specially coded to have the guards ignore you beating him up).

The game stops the scripted opening once you hit Awakening a few hours in, but this game easily has one of the most tedious linear openings I can remember. Problem is made worse by how even after Awakening you're strongly encouraged to do the next few quests almost immediately since they (in order) give the full tutorial, basic gear, must be started almost immediately after finishing the last one, and give a free horse.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is it going to be like that for the rest of the game or it is just a long tutorial section? So far i do not feel like i have much agency in the game. Is it just a slow starting game?
You are still in tutorial prologue. Yes the start is heavily scripted and cutscene heavy. The game is storydriven so it wants you to pay attention its story. It opens up fully once you get to Rattay mill. And yes Kunesh is beatable, though it's not easy.

RK47

Patron
You can sneak up behind him and press F to choke him .

Or... ask your friends for help.

There are multiple options and they're not labeled.

And yes the opening intro is the weakest part of the game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought i could attack him but both he and my father suggested i'd go to jail by doing that, so i avoided it. As the game doesn't allow free saving, i cannot experiment to figure out my options :-P.

I tried asking my friends for help but as i wrote above this option was completely removed (ie. i couldn't even initiate dialog) after i decided to not join throwing shit at the house.

Modron

Arcane
You can pick the locks and take the goods, grab his axe, when noone is around, I can't recall if you can pickpocket a key from him, or just involve your friends as that was the most fun of the options. IIRC you have to join them and throw shit at the house and then when you regroup later you can ask for help.

SlamDunk

Arcane
For some perspective:

I've spent so many hours (hundreds) after the long intro that I've almost forgotten that the game was quite scripted and on the rails in the beginning.

Don't worry, Bad Sector , it will eventually open up, for good.

Harthwain

Magister
I thought i could attack him but both he and my father suggested i'd go to jail by doing that, so i avoided it. As the game doesn't allow free saving, i cannot experiment to figure out my options :-P.
You can experiment. Just be mindful that you either have to follow-through or be prepared to roll-back to the last save point. My advice? Roll with it and see what happens. That's how the game was meant to be played after all.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well not only did Warhorse get some phat lewt from Sweeney, the free week seems to be very good for their PR too. There are well attended streams again and the concurrent player count on Steam is over 8k now. Kudos, fully deserved.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Don't worry, Bad Sector , it will eventually open up, for good.

Yeah, i am now at a point where it seems the scripts have mostly ended.

You can experiment. Just be mindful that you either have to follow-through or be prepared to roll-back to the last save point.

That last part is what i mean with "i cannot experiment". At that point in time i do not know how the game controls or what i can do with it, so i usually i poke and prod and see what happens with the safety of quicksave+reload if something i didn't intend to do happens. If i do something intentionally i follow with it, but if i feel like something was misrepresented to me (e.g. dialog options that mean something else than what i understood) i prefer to reload.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
That last part is what i mean with "i cannot experiment". At that point in time i do not know how the game controls or what i can do with it, so i usually i poke and prod and see what happens with the safety of quicksave+reload if something i didn't intend to do happens. If i do something intentionally i follow with it, but if i feel like something was misrepresented to me (e.g. dialog options that mean something else than what i understood) i prefer to reload.
Learn how to brew Savior Schnapps as soon as possible and you will be able to experiment to heart's content.

Harthwain

Magister
Learn how to brew Savior Schnapps as soon as possible and you will be able to experiment to heart's content.
Schnapps make you drunk, which will impact what you'll be trying to do though.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, a few alchemy stuff makes you drunk as well, but with the insane bonuses you get, you tend to not give a shit.
Stuff like Artemesia (+5 STR/WAR), Bivoj's Rage(+DMG%), Aqua Vitae(50% DMG Reduction), Buck's Blood(+50% Max Stamina), and Embrocation(+5 AGI/DEF) is pretty much easy mode in the early game.
Sure, you sacrifice some cash, but the impact is insane. Buck's Blood alone lets you follow up 3-5 strikes in a row without Henry needing to catch a breath. This is a big deal when you play in hardcore with all the birth defects activated.

RK47

Patron
Amazed this shit runs on MX150 Laptop Video Card.
People walk around without their heads until I approach. Otherwise it's OK.

YutqltW.jpg

:lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
So, uh... I stumbled upon "Pribyslavitz" and kinda killed all the bandits/cumans inside (if you're wondering how, mounted halberd is OP). Apparently this is the location of part of the main quest. Does it break from this? One of the guys tried to shout something that seemed unique (think it was something like "So, I never thought...") before I killed him, but I didn't get a chance to read it (playing with German VA) before he died and I rode past. None of the corpses appeared to have a name or any special items from what I saw, but it may have gotten lost somewhere.

Best screenshot I could get of the bodies with the sun setting as I killed the last few
v2v39f.jpg

Last edited:

axedice

Cipher
When you attack later during the quest, there will still be raiders/bandits spawning in Pribs, so not much of a change other than fewer enemies and easier combat.

RK47 You should try geforce now streaming if you have a decent connection, games run smoother than I've expected from such a service.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom