Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Quillon

Arcane
Tho what I like the most about KCD is apart from "go kill bandits/cumans" quests almost all the quests are inspired by setting/time and different from each other there is not a pattern/structure we can detect that is applied to all the quests(to make development easier that some studios over indulge cough..obsidian..cough), most quests have something unique about it, have unique little mechanics and ties to simulation system which must be hard to develop and debug hence the buggy state the game was in for too long, but ultimately its the game's one of greatest strengths, perhaps the best.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I said "linear cutscene galore MQ", there is no C&C in the main quest, its linear

Have there ever been non-linear cutscenes? The main quests have tons of options how to approach them, there's tons of CC for various characters (Matt, Fritz, German knight etc.). And no, you can't decide if you make Bohemia independent or if you deliver it to Ceasar's Legion or the NCR. History happened, you can't unhappen it.

Quillon

Arcane
Have there ever been non-linear cutscenes?

There is supposed to be in CP77 :P

But there shoulda been a coma I guess or better "linear & cutscene galore". Anyway history happened but Henry didn't happen with it. He could have been in wide range of states between perfect participant & helper to the cause and rewarded for it to a disgrace to his dead family/new father and bohemia by the end(edit: or preferably dead), but we have only the one dull Henry. Matt & Fritz belong to side content after prologue but I liked german knight, wish we had a younger version of him or equivalent instead of Henry.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm a bit at a loss of what you guys mean by all that, to be honest. What exactly did Henry do worse than the protagonists of other RPGs? Few react to whether you secretly steal everything in game or not, and the "personality" offered is usually just a couple different ways to phrase the same thing ("I will do it for justice" "I will do it for money" "I will do it because I'm a tool" etc.) which the NPC either reacts to very minimally ("Thank you hero" "Don't worry you will be paid" "Get to it, retard" etc.) or, more often than not, ignores it outright. Not to say there aren't great RPGs that do all this and better, but it seems weird to bash the game specifically for something that's basically industry average at this point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it seems weird to bash the game specifically for something that's basically industry average at this point.

Yeah. Reminds me of bitching about "dumb AI", whether in RPGs or in strategy games. As if there has ever been a game with an AI that was not completely brainless.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah dudes all RPG protags have linear paths with no divergence nor different ends, its the industry standard.

Vavra wrote a linear main story (which he is used to) for an RPG and its absurd to even criticize it, ok.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm a bit at a loss of what you guys mean by all that, to be honest. What exactly did Henry do worse than the protagonists of other RPGs? Few react to whether you secretly steal everything in game or not, and the "personality" offered is usually just a couple different ways to phrase the same thing ("I will do it for justice" "I will do it for money" "I will do it because I'm a tool" etc.) which the NPC either reacts to very minimally ("Thank you hero" "Don't worry you will be paid" "Get to it, retard" etc.) or, more often than not, ignores it outright. Not to say there aren't great RPGs that do all this and better, but it seems weird to bash the game specifically for something that's basically industry average at this point.

I agree. I think one issue is that the game sometimes pretends to make Henry a 'blank slate' protagonist that you can roleplay in various ways - but, in reality, Henry is more of a TNO / Geralt style clearly defined character with his linear story. He's never really going to be a silver-tongued manipulator or petty thieving bandit or whatever, he's always going to be a pretty straight-faced lad who won't shut up about his sword.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I agree. I think one issue is that the game sometimes pretends to make Henry a 'blank slate' protagonist that you can roleplay in various ways - but, in reality, Henry is more of a TNO / Geralt style clearly defined character with his linear story. He's never really going to be a silver-tongued manipulator or petty thieving bandit or whatever, he's always going to be a pretty straight-faced lad who won't shut up about his sword.
Yeah. I actually didn't have any issues with playing as Geralt, who's a clearly defined character that you can nudge a little bit into the direction you want to. You can't really "leave" the role of Geralt at any point even if you wanted to, whereas KCD's mechanics allow Henry to become a master burglar or even an outright serial killer instead of some kind-hearted village boy that the story portrays him as. The mechanics allow you a lot more freedom than the narrative does.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I agree. I think one issue is that the game sometimes pretends to make Henry a 'blank slate' protagonist that you can roleplay in various ways - but, in reality, Henry is more of a TNO / Geralt style clearly defined character with his linear story.

Yeah, it's one of those issues that will be a small bump on the road for some and a 10 feet deep pothole for others but it IS a problem. It's also a problem that is not easy to solve in a game like KCD with a myriad of RPG systems.

I mean it's easy to be good in Witcher 3 because that game doesn't have any RPG systems that would allow you to be a thief or a murderer in the first place. The only way a game like KCD could work is with a blank slate character ála Skyrim, preferably a silent one, that you can shape and mold precisely to your needs. But then it couldn't be story-driven and cinematic.

SlamDunk

Arcane
I thought now that Warhorse has actually some money they'll jump straight to the Hussite Wars that everybody actually cares about.
"Everybody" meaning pretty much you and maybe a couple of others.

Most of us just want to play the final act of the story.

deuxhero

Arcane
tbh i'd want to see if a historical game dare to add a woman as high difficulty mode at least combat wise. enemies hits harder, your status in political negotiations are often patronized, etc

Mount & Blade Warband.

it seems weird to bash the game specifically for something that's basically industry average at this point.

Yeah. Reminds me of bitching about "dumb AI", whether in RPGs or in strategy games. As if there has ever been a game with an AI that was not completely brainless.

I recall hearing of custom AI for at least one old FPS that's designed to mimic a serious deathmatch player (and would absolutely demolish a merely competent player not versed in game specific techs ect.). Doesn't really count since it was added over a decade after the game came out.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If true...sigh. I thought now that Warhorse has actually some money they'll jump straight to the Hussite Wars that everybody actually cares about.
ffs Smejki said it right on this forum like a year ago or whenever that the next game will continue Henry's story directly. Why the fuck are you surprised.

And damn, so much bitching here lately

SlamDunk

Arcane
EXYijh7U0AEu1WC

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I rather liked Henry's character, there was something quite charming about his personality. Saying that, playing an older more hardened Henry during the Hussite wars would be interesting.

Falksi

Arcane
This game is fucking AWFUL.

Fuck the story or historical accuracy, it's fucking pieces of shit like this which are wrecking modern RPGs

The difficulty & combat aren't a problem, the problem is how utterly fucking BORING everything is, and how unsatisfying it all is too. Folk are saying "stick with it 15-20 hours and it gets good". Fuck off, I could finish several shit-hot games in that time like Shining Force 2 or Shadowrun Returns, why the fuck would anyone endure 20 hours worth of shit to get to a few hours worth of decent gameplay?

Loading times go on FOREVER, the whole feel of the game is floaty and wank, and how the fuck Henry is still hungry and not sat on the shitter for 24 hours after bollocking 6 apples down him in a row I've no idea.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with today's gaming society when this is hailed as "superb"?

Bag of wank.

TL:DR - I do not particularly like this game much.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with today's gaming society when this is hailed as "superb"?

Ironically, I'd argue the reason the game can be perceived as "boring" is precisely because of today's gaming.

See Vavra's talk about "potato landscapes" -- or how Bioware changed their BG1 more natural world design formula so drastically from part 1 to part deux. Life in the vault, er gaming, has never been the same since.

Kingdom Come's design is mundane compared to today's theme park formula indeed. It will rub plenty people in the wrong way -- for the right reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwE2goNeshY&feature=youtu.be&t=2048

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Shit, I just realized that KCD is the best first-person Fallout game. It isn't FNV, it isn't TOW, it's this.

Shit.

Quillon

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom