Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets more trailers, now available for preorder on GOG

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    You’re already a vassal of the emperor, or at least a vassal of his vassal. The kings of Bohemia had been Holy Roman Emperor for nearly fifty straight years by the time of the game.

Wenceslaus was deposed as king of the germans (uncrowned emperor) in 1403, right when the game takes place, but he didn’t recognize the legitimacy of his successors until 1411. In Kingdom Come you work for one of Wenceslaus’ loyal vassals. From their perspective, he might be the rightful ruler of the whole HRE.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Pizzashoes Learned

Pizzashoes
    Oh right on. I guess someone already told this Wenceslaus guy he's not german by the time the game takes place.

I'm worried this game might get undeservedly positive reviews just for being anti-SJW. That's all I'm hearing about. But hyping anti-SJW is just as retarded as blowing up SJW stuff. Hopefully the writing and gameplay are actually good.

• Shit Shit x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    I see plenty of complaint but no argument. You are confused and self-contradicting. Companies don't want to have to deal with problems, so they use content delivery platforms such as Steam or Gog. The difference between a GoG release and a DRM free Steam release is that GoG has rudimentary patching tools, leading to delayed updates due to developer ass pain.

If your issue is installing something on your computer then say "I don't like installing content delivery apps on my computer". That is fine, but more an insight in your psyche than comment on DRM (read: not at all).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Looks pretty good, I'll probably wait to watch some gameplay and make a decision based on that.

curious just how much of an RPG you can get with it though.

^ Top  
  5. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    I'm sorry you seem to either lack reading comprehension or be unaware of what games as a service is. It is a business model where games are provided to you as a service to provide the game content and not as a product. This reduces your level of ownership over it. The biggest implication of that being that steam can (and has done it many times) remove your access to games you have paid for. Often this is done as part of anti key-reselling or anti-cheating efforts, but there is nothing legally limiting them for doing it for other reasons. And people who are entirely uninvolved in cheating or steam key reselling (or in some cases were unwittingly involved such as purchasing a steam key not knowing it was one illegally re-sold across regions or was originally purchased by the seller using credit card fraud) have had their accounts banned and lost access to ALL their games. Of course steam can also just decide to ban your steam account for just about any reason with very little recourse to you under the current terms and conditions. And they can also rewrite the terms and conditions at will, which you must then agree to in order to continue to have access to your games.

There are other ways that games as a service chips away at consumer rights, but that is the biggest one I can think of. In the past publishers tried much of the stuff steam does with their ridiculous EULAs, but they didn't really have much in the way of the ability to enforce it so they couldn't really do it, even if de jure the EULAs said they could (although there was and still is much debate as to how much of EULAs would hold up in court in various jurisdictions). With the games as a service model they can enforce it rather easily, especially when combined with DRM.

So that is a pretty big difference between GOG.com and Steam. It's not just that you have to install an app for steam to deliver content, the entire business model is different. Although having to install and run an unrelated third party app is also really lame and intrusive.

^ Top  
  6. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    There is no debate regarding EULAs. They are legally untenable. They are nothing more than leverage on those who do not know their rights.

Insurance companies have iron clad policies that would allow them any number of reasons to deny any claim. They don't do that however, because to do so is business suicide. In theory, they (and Steam, and GoG) don't need to practice common sense, but in practice, they do and always will.

"Steam can revoke your access at any time with very little recourse". Give me a break. Yes and they can just as well decide to ruin their business, as could GoG. They won't do either. Link me to one verifiable occurrence of Steam nefariously revoking purchaser rights to purchased software.

Take an installed steam app without DRM and back up the directory. If the game uses DRM, that is the developer's choice, not Valve's.

^ Top  
  7. Bastardchops Educated

Bastardchops
    I think Kingdom Cum will have more character and shittier combat than Munt and Blade Bannerlord.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)