Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingmaker Video Let's Nerd

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

If you really want to know why some people will never ever watch these videos, it's completely inefficient. It takes me a few minutes to read dozens and dozens of Codex posts. That means even a DraQ word swamp takes a couple of minutes max, because I'm not going to read it like one reads Hegel or something. In contrast, I have to either sit here and listen to some yokel um and ah and wa-hoowww forever to discover if he even has anything worth saying. And usually, chances are, they don't.

The only reason to watch a video is for the things I can only get from the video, like if I want to know how the game flows, the animations, etc. Which I can do by skipping around in a gameplay video in 30 seconds.

There seems to be a significant set of people who enjoy watching other people play games. I have never understood why. If I want to waste my time, I can play games, otherwise, I can go do something else.

That's fair, but some people do like watching them as another form of video entertainment, so that's why I post them here. I've attracted a few followers who will probably choose to remain nameless for fear of liking a vidya LP. But I get what you're saying.

The thing about an LP, for me, is mutual discovery. In my LPs, I discover sometimes interesting things while playing and relay that to the viewer. You will see things like minute details that may be missed by some, in action, or being discovered by me. It's not some amazing, mindblowing thing, but it can make the videos interesting when myself and the viewer are getting these little bits that you might miss if you're glossing over a gameplay video. That's why I personally enjoyed watching some LPs in the past (don't have time anymore) and why some viewers like watching them. It's the little things, IMO. And I like to go in depth about things like leveling up, balancing stats, why I'm using certain strategies and things like that, which are more little things that can perhaps make a Let's Play video interesting. I'm not in the camp of just yokeling, yelling and cursing at the screen to be entertaining, it's more of a methodical approach to appreciate game mechanics and the finer points of the game. Just some background info.

I've been told by one watcher that watching my videos has helped him learn a lot about the game and how to play it properly. That's a pretty cool compliment even though my LP is far, far from perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Wa-how! The moment we've all been waiting for. In this episode I head to Stag Lord's fort and take on the man himself. It gets ugly, dirty and bloody, so put the children to bed before watching this one.

Deleted Member 16721

This is it...final showdown with Stag Lord, our first archnemesis. Watch in awe at how I struggle with the battle and then get lucky after a few reloads and finally win... OR DO I???

Bohr

Arcane
Ah, that's why we're seeing Fluent posts on the Dex again, guessed it could be another patreon or sub drive :D

Anyway, before deciding whether to watch/sub, I was wondering what sort of tone you'll be going for. For example, you're becoming quite well known for forthright opinions - fearlessly accusing devs of incompetence, running scams, using stolen assets, similar fonts... that sort of thing. Will you be doing this in your videos too? I feel this could make them quite exciting and differentiate you from the competition.

Keep up the good work :salute:

Deleted Member 16721

Ah, that's why we're seeing Fluent posts on the Dex again, guessed it could be another patreon or sub drive :D

Anyway, before deciding whether to watch/sub, I was wondering what sort of tone you'll be going for. For example, you're becoming quite well known for forthright opinions - fearlessly accusing devs of incompetence, running scams, using stolen assets, similar fonts... that sort of thing. Will you be doing this in your videos too? I feel this could make them quite exciting and differentiate you from the competition.

Keep up the good work :salute:

I post here because it's more active than RPGWatch. And I enjoy the silliness of seeing posts rated as shit and retadred. I could care less about gaining subs or patreon pledges, I don't even have monetization enabled on my videos. I like sharing my Let's Plays and some people here may be interested in them which is why I'm posting them.

Second, I only accused certain devs of incompetence and running a scam, and I try to keep negativity out of my videos. I only talk about the game I'm playing, nothing more. And if I'm wrong about those things I posted here I will gladly eat crow when an amazing game comes from it. But I do not plan on adding any talk like that to my videos.

Hell, if that Chaos Chronicles rebooted for the whatever-th time comes out great, I'll make videos for it singing its praises. But I have my doubts. These are only my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of the J Dumont YouTube channel. :positive:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 15 is up. Finishing up some things after offing the Stag Lord and before claiming the barony for my own. Fights, fights and more fights. And a meticulous level up process.

Bohr

Arcane
Second, I only accused certain devs of incompetence and running a scam, and I try to keep negativity out of my videos. I only talk about the game I'm playing, nothing more.

Have to say, I'm a bit sad to hear that man. Can't help thinking some of these would be absolute gold in video form.

vnqsxqUW_o.png

xeiBtDX7_o.png

W50R4y7g_o.png

Jzn9vmt3_o.png

Isn't there a need in the scene for some sort of 'RPG Investigator', perhaps as a segment at the end of your videos? To put it another way, I've never watched the Alex Jones show, but I know about it as people talk about him, probably due to his airing a few controversial views. Imagine the subs if you pushed the boundaries a bit and became known as like the Alex Jones of RPGs.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from a fan. I'll leave it there as I don't want to distract you too much from your work on PK. :salute:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 16 is L-I-V-E! We have an encounter with wererats and then claim our right as baron of our new lands in this episode of Let's Nerd.

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 17 is up. In this one we handle some kingdom management stuff, learn a bit more about our buddy Tristian, fight demonic spiders and more. This is a good one to watch if you want to see some kingdom management and building in the early stages.

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 18 is up. This one is pretty cool as we do more kingdom management and building and also adventure a bit, finding a new companion in trouble trying to cross a river. Skill checks abound in this one.

Deleted Member 16721

In Episode 19 we meet a wiley mage who helps us with more information about the trolls whereabouts as we nerd about Golarion. :)

Deleted Member 16721

We meet a wounded ranger named Ekundayo and fight some trolls in this episode of Let's Nerd.

Mustawd

Second, I only accused certain devs of incompetence and running a scam, and I try to keep negativity out of my videos. I only talk about the game I'm playing, nothing more.

Have to say, I'm a bit sad to hear that man. Can't help thinking some of these would be absolute gold in video form.

vnqsxqUW_o.png

xeiBtDX7_o.png

W50R4y7g_o.png

Jzn9vmt3_o.png

Isn't there a need in the scene for some sort of 'RPG Investigator', perhaps as a segment at the end of your videos? To put it another way, I've never watched the Alex Jones show, but I know about it as people talk about him, probably due to his airing a few controversial views. Imagine the subs if you pushed the boundaries a bit and became known as like the Alex Jones of RPGs.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from a fan. I'll leave it there as I don't want to distract you too much from your work on PK. :salute:

This is a great idea. Makes me wanna pay a voice actor to read those posts aloud and then overlay them over a fluent LP. Maybe throw in some creepy music for extra paranoia.

Deleted Member 16721

We fight and explore through an ancient dwarven watchtower, find some rare treasure and more in Episode 21 of Let's Nerd.

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 22 is up and it's kwality! We explore a strange Kobold Trail, meet a group of kobolds at a camp, do some kingdom management and building and more. Enjoy!

Edit - And if you need another reason to watch, you can watch as I turn Harrim from a Cleric of Groetus to an Inquisitor, Sacred Huntsmaster of Groetus, complete with Marty the Mastadon as his pet companion. :lol:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 23 is up and the LP is chugging along. I have another 40+ episodes already recorded (sheesh, that's going to be a lot of editing...). In this one we do some cool stuff, like solve an encounter with a nixie and some woodsmen, explore and solve problems in a lizard folk village and then round it out with some exploring and fighting in a swamp where a witch lives. Cool stuff. :positive:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 24 is up, where we start exploring the Dwarven Stronghold full of trolls, kobolds and gods-know-what-else...Fun stuff!

Deleted Member 16721

Ep. 25 is L-I-V-E! In this one we continue exploring and looking for treasure in the Dwarven Stronghold, which turns out to be quite an appealing and well-made dungeon. We also find a kobold artist painting with...well, you'll see in the video. :lol:

Deleted Member 16721

Ep. 26 is up and we explore more of the Dwarven Stronghold, find some rare treasure and just have a grand old time killing things. :)

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 27 is up, I leave the troll dungeon and head to the witch's swamp to explore, fight and loot. :bounce:

Deleted Member 16721

Man, forgot to post 3 episodes! Check them out at your leisure if anyone here is watching.

Ep 28. We finish up the witch's swamp, make some important kingdom decisions and more in this episode.

Ep 29. We see a vicious encounter go down with Valerie and Fredero Sinnet, Paladin of Shelyn, and then head to the Verdant Chambers to take the Nymph up on her offer of giving me a gift (a solo journey, fun!).

Ep 30. We do a ton of fighting and exploring in this episode, lots of combat and good stuff.

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 31 is up, and in this one we do some more exploring, meet some new people, do some fighting and also some intricate (I think) leveling up. Enjoy. :cool:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 32 is live, in this one we do the usual, more exploring and fighting, get to know Jubilost more, rescue a printing press from bandits and more!

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 33. The usual, running around, exploring, fighting the Lady of Shallows (whoa...wasn't expecting that). We take on a cyclops, explore new areas, have an encounter with some wicked fey and do the usual fighting and more in this episode of Let's Nerd. Join me for the adventure! :cool:

Deleted Member 16721

Ep. 34. We got on the hunt for a cyclops or something huge causing havoc, but then we return to the kingdom and do a bunch of interesting (?) kingdom stuff. Ch-ch-check it out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom