Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos Kickstarter soon

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Surely the steamtards will appreciate that he used object-oriented programming techniques. Fantastic that he fit it all in 700 MB though. I'm almost certainly going to send kikestarter funds as long as he does a non steam version like the first game. This sounds and looks great so far, hopefully the tokens keep acting as a casual filter.

edit: I don't like the sound of time based puzzles. Why was this decision made? What is the benefit of having puzzles be time based instead of just letting the player sit down and think as long as they want?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    Because it's more challenging and utilizes some otherwise underused player's skills? A great spice for a turn-based game!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    The whole point of turn-based games is that the player has time to think.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    I'm more curious of his usage of the Boost library. At two places I've worked now, I've had to deal with Boost and both times, we came to the conclusion that Boost is massive bloat to the flash space and had to be removed.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. glass blackbird Learned Patron

glass blackbird
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    ok, please explain how selling it on kickstarter is gonna fix that though

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    The question comes to mind: for what bizarre reason the first game never reached Steam and similar services?

P.S. So awkward when your long-in-the-making sequel ends up looking far worse than your original low resolution game.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    I think art looks amazing. It's different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    "Different" is... a way to put it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ladonna Magister

Ladonna
    I actually like the way the game looks, and if he is smart, it will be easily moddable. It should be fairly easy to put out new campaigns using those tile sets.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    This is the real deal.

^ Top  
  11. Ladonna Magister

Ladonna
    From the website:
    :yeah:

• incline incline x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Pierre B if you read this know that you are an awesome developer! I wish you the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    I actually think this is his best selling point. Instead of pitching it only to the regular RPG crowd, he should find more PNP communities that are interested in having a digital version of the OGL 3.5 system on their computers. Maybe even add online multiplayer (if he already hasn't)?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    I don't think that adding timers to puzzles is necessarily a good match, but hybrids like Worms/Hogs of War also have a particular niche to fill.

^ Top  
  15. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    More visibility on Kickstarter means selling it outside the codex and the watch, maybe even touch pen and paper and board game communities.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Yeah, I don't recall having seen a Kickstarter for a product advertised as already finished. I'm curious what the pitch is going to sound like.

Kickstarter has a list of prohibited items. One of them:

Now, KotC2 is something that has already been made but not ever yet released, so I'm not sure if it qualifies in this regard. But, the primary element of a Kickstarter campaign is to describe how the money being raised will directly facilitate the project. It will be interesting to see how this project is described, considering it has already been facilitated without Kickstarter money.

Maybe the developer plans to write further first-party modules beyond the one he has finished? Maybe he plans to develop an online multiplayer capability for people to share their modules? But he does specifically mention multiplayer as being one of the things "KotC2 is not":

If he does intend merely to use Kickstarter as a pre-sale platform… he shouldn't have told everyone that he already finished making the game! I'm not sure Kickstarter will allow it.

:deathclaw:

(If they do, by the way, I'm going to back it.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    ^ Top  
  17. The Glitterdust Golem Prophet Patron

The Glitterdust Golem
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    JUST RELEASE IT

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    I believe the kickstarters' purpose is to allow him to make more campaigns with the already finished game for us to play. I could be incorrect.

^ Top  
  19. glass blackbird Learned Patron

glass blackbird
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    He can do a kickstarter for physical disc releases of it or something like that (people do that with RPG books, for example), but no, you're not allowed to just sell a digital product.

He could also say the KS is to pay for fees for Steam etc and do it that way. Or, as mentioned, say it's for further development, more campaigns, etc, which is also fine.

^ Top  
  20. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Okay, yeah, on the message boards he does refer to completing work on the "prologue adventure," and he talks about adding another character class as a stretch goal, so he definitely plans further development.

He is taking his project to a much greater degree of completion than most Kickstarters do before the campaign. I shouldn't fault him for that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    Well, he still hasn't done beta testing, so it's not finished yet. The need for a budget to hire beta testers is more than understandable for a single developer.

^ Top  
  22. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    :notsureifserious:

Do any indie devs (especially 1-person teams) actually pay for QA testing? From what I've seen, free testers are simply drawn from among the most enthusiastic fanbois supporters, or else things don't get fixed until post-launch because the first customers are the beta testers.

^ Top  
  23. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Really hiring external beta testers and (hopefully) real artist for a done game would be perfectly acceptable use for crowd funding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    I think it being modable is a huge reason he made the game and I believe the idea is users will make all sorts of modules and adventures with the tools which is why I am not that concerned about the initial graphic set

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Latro Arcane

Latro
    if it's moddable to the point where we can see full-blown custom campaigns, i don't really care what it looks like

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)