Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos Kickstarter soon

aratuk

Cipher
It might be good for the developer if he could broaden the appeal of his game by, say, having character sprites instead of portrait tokens. But I don't know that he has any interest in doing that, or how much of an improvement it would be.

What I remember best from the first game is how usable the interface is. Gratuitous tooltips. Everything on your character sheet is hyperlinked to an explanation of how it works in the game.

Usability trumps expensive graphix every time, for me. I am interested to see more recent video of the interface, rather than just static screenshots. Most recent video on the dev's Youtube channel is from two years ago.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand, though, like, if he's finished the game why does he want a kickstarter? Just sell the game to people
No, if he sells it on his own site no one will even bother.kickstarter at least offer aminimum of visibility. Kotc was published like 10 years ago ,most of us forgot about it.The customers are here and the watch, half people here dont like the presentation and its not likely we buy it, then amongst people who can stomach that garbage , half will torrent and the polish dudes cant afford anything anyway.
ok, please explain how selling it on kickstarter is gonna fix that though
More visibility on Kickstarter means selling it outside the codex and the watch, maybe even touch pen and paper and board game communities.
He's not going to release this on steam?

What is he, retarded or something?

Alex

Arcane
You know, I always thoughts the complaints about he shooting himself on the foot with his decisions were exaggerated, but...

KOTC2 Website said:
KotC 2 was not designed as a highly realistic medieval world simulator similar to Ultima VII. Non-player-characters do not have to follow a real-life schedule and not all items have to be interactive.

KotC 2 is not interested in simulationist survival gameplay elements such as tracking the real-life effect of wounds, diseases or starvation. As a general rule, you do not need to buy food rations and cooking is not a character skill.

KotC 2 was not designed with the intent to offer a huge non-linear open world for the player to explore. Sometimes, games with a huge open world make the player feel like a rudderless ship lost in the ocean without guidance.

I mean, I appreciate his honesty. But why waste half of the front page of the game on how his game pales in comparison to older games. I mean, I don't think anyone expects him to be able to, alone, make a new Ultima game. So why remind potential customers of this?

ArchAngel

Arcane
You know, I always thoughts the complaints about he shooting himself on the foot with his decisions were exaggerated, but...

KOTC2 Website said:
KotC 2 was not designed as a highly realistic medieval world simulator similar to Ultima VII. Non-player-characters do not have to follow a real-life schedule and not all items have to be interactive.

KotC 2 is not interested in simulationist survival gameplay elements such as tracking the real-life effect of wounds, diseases or starvation. As a general rule, you do not need to buy food rations and cooking is not a character skill.

KotC 2 was not designed with the intent to offer a huge non-linear open world for the player to explore. Sometimes, games with a huge open world make the player feel like a rudderless ship lost in the ocean without guidance.

I mean, I appreciate his honesty. But why waste half of the front page of the game on how his game pales in comparison to older games. I mean, I don't think anyone expects him to be able to, alone, make a new Ultima game. So why remind potential customers of this?
Why does Pierre do anything?! Nobody knows. It is a mystery of the universe. Just like "WHat is RPG?" or 42.

He could license something like this:

http://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/the-token-trea

As a KS goal?
right exactly, and from a brief search I did some years ago there are a lot of quality examples, or even talented artists looking for work on those online artist communities.

The way he has designed the toolset, this is an easily fixable thing.... in fact its not even broken or 'problem' really except that the initial art set can be very useful to keep possible buyers from abandoning ship before they even know what they are looking at, which is my main concern with regards to the artwork at all..

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm more curious of his usage of the Boost library. At two places I've worked now, I've had to deal with Boost and both times, we came to the conclusion that Boost is massive bloat to the flash space and had to be removed.

With link-time optimization and identical code folding it's not that bad. Also precompiled header, template instantiation.

But it's mostly irrelevant in C++17 world.

/armchair-bikeshed-mode

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

KOTC2 Website said:

I actually really, really appreciated this specific section in his description of the game, because I was reading it as him stating "This game is NOT a fucking skyrim, so if you're a casual faggot who plays """""rpgs""""", fuck right off.".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom