Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Knights of the Chalice 2 Pre-Kickstarter Interview

zeitgeist

Magister
Does it have all the races, classes, spells, monsters and so on listed here?

Token portraits are hardly the main issue here. You should check out all the resources that people routinely make for free for things like Tabletop Simulator btw.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"graphic-whore"
Previous art was good. There was nothing wrong with it. Now, it looks like it was made by someone with down syndrome and the creator doesn't have the heart to say "Timmy, you are retarded and it shows on your 'art'."

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Previous art was good. There was nothing wrong with it. Now, it looks like it was made by someone with down syndrome and the creator doesn't have the heart to say "Timmy, you are retarded and it shows on your 'art'."
Did you not read the interview? He never says the new ones look better, he says they are easier to make. It is a valid argument.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Did you not read the interview? He never says the new ones look better, he says they are easier to make. It is a valid argument.
It's not valid when it means your game is dead on arrival, which sadly will be the case here.

I did a search for "2d dungeon monster tilesets online download for sale" and there is stuff that is not expensive at all and is quit a bit better looking, and I looked for like 4 minutes. I have run across even nicer stuff by accident previously.
Great, couldn't be any easier, right?
Does it have all the races, classes, spells, monsters and so on listed here?
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Features.htm
Who would have thought 5mins of googling could solve the problem. Can you share the link so I can check the relevance of your 2d monster tileset for a game implementing a large part of the Dnd bestiary?

few more minutes of searching I come across a free searchable search engine for game art you can search 2d, 3d, RPG, tileset, roguelike etc, etc.....again, I am putting almost no effort into this and have seen much better stuff than this just by accident online...

https://opengameart.org/content/fantasy-icon-pack-by-ravenmore-0

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But - he says nothing would stop people from using ToEE style background images in iso perspective in the toolset for different maps, likewise, portraits/tokens can be changed, so modding will fix it right?
Yeah, mods will fix it is the best scenario possible here. Download a small .rar, replace all that derpy art with stuff directly from ToEE and all the official D&D resources. That's much better than even hiring artists.

zeitgeist

Magister
But - he says nothing would stop people from using ToEE style background images in iso perspective in the toolset for different maps, likewise, portraits/tokens can be changed, so modding will fix it right?
Yeah, mods will fix it is the best scenario possible here. Download a small .rar, replace all that derpy art with stuff directly from ToEE and all the official D&D resources. That's much better than even hiring artists.

How do you propose to fix the entire UI being a jumbled mess of garish elements with different pixel sizes, misaligned/poorly positioned text and completely random font weights, sizes and spacing though? This has been an issue in the first game too, despite the workable tiles and sprites, and it's only gotten worse.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey rated this PIRACY IS WRONG

Guy isn't even entertaining the idea of a "Tens of thousands of dollars beyond what I will be happy to make off this: I will replace all the art with good art."

Mortmal

Arcane
Roguey rated this PIRACY IS WRONG

Guy isn't even entertaining the idea of a "Tens of thousands of dollars beyond what I will be happy to make off this: I will replace all the art with good art."
Yes using a rar with stolen art isn't satisfying, why not just pirate the whole game then .I'd rather have people getting paid for heir work. Obviously its still falling in deaf ears, the reality check will be terrible for him.

The artist's abilities actually seem decent if you look at his background pic on twitter ( https://twitter.com/HeroicFantasy ). It's unusual and I like it.

But if you look at Pierre's twitter main icon you can tell he did that himself. This is a guy taking things from a possibly decent artist and he's butchering it by putting it together himself and it becomes inconsistent and uglier as a result. It could be fixed by about 60% if he tweaked how it was all balanced, made the monster icons less garish, made the interface more consistent, balanced the colours etc. It would really go a long way.

But I sense more of a "it doesn't really matter and I don't care" attitude rather than a "I wish it was better but I don't know how!" that might make him open to doing the adjustments needed.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
The artist's abilities actually seem decent if you look at his background pic on twitter ( https://twitter.com/HeroicFantasy ). It's unusual and I like it.

But if you look at his twitter main icon you can tell he did that himself. This is a guy taking things from a possibly decent artist and he's butchering it by putting it together himself and it becomes inconsistent and uglier as a result. It could be fixed by about 60% if he tweaked how it was all balanced, made the monster icons less garish, made the interface more consistent, balanced the colours etc. It would really go a long way.

But I sense more of a "it doesn't really matter and I don't care" attitude rather than a "I wish it was better but I don't know how!" that might make him open to doing the adjustments needed.
Different indeed, it evokes a piece of decaying flesh.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't want 3D or overhead sprites

I just want normal looking art for tokens

fucking look at D&D 5 manual. There, done. Was that so hard?

Hope it won't take too long for people to do art conversion packs or something similar.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, there is a difference between "going top-down 2D with tokens because gameplay is king" and "let's pick the most horribly eye-blood inducing tokens possible as well"

If Pierre says game's gotta look exactly this bad to deliver on gameplay, fine, he already has my money, do it.

What I really suspect, though, is that he is truly honest-to-god completely unaware of just how truly terrible it looks beyond other small-time budget projects that have made the same decision to trump gameplay over art.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Besides the party tokens, it's not that bad, the big ones even look quite good, i must say.

113.png

Dorateen

Arcane
I was thinking, the monster/character tokens on the map would look good without any geometric shapes at all. The prevalence of circles, circles everywhere is probably what is most jarring. Like staring at a field of bubbles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom