Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice finally on Steam and GOG

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't think more people would be playing this game. Who would pay 20 bucks for a game that looks like it was made in 1993

IS the same price of Diablo 1 on gog... D1 and KotC still better than 99% of modern dumbed down RPG's, just think that is better to replay iwd/bg with tome of blood mod due some mechanics that i din't liked on KotC...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't think more people would be playing this game. Who would pay 20 bucks for a game that looks like it was made in 1993

Dude, Darkside of Xeen was made in 1993, who wouldn't ?
And more importantly, Isles of Terra was made in 1991 ...

The question is how many recent AAA games are worth not 20 bucks but just 10 ?

PrettyDeadman

So I am playing with a party of 2 wizards (1 evoc focus 2nd enchantment focus and 2 clerics both dual wield builds).
Am I supposed to start battle with cleric having only 1 weapon so that they can buff, then use turn to equip other weapon and only then start battle?

cruelio

Savant
C77Io7z.jpg

Ask me anything about being a top 10 professional competitive KotC player, other than what the fuck the scoring system is based on.

Jinn

Arcane
Ask me anything about being a top 10 professional competitive KotC player, other than what the fuck the scoring system is based on.

Interesting. Where did you find that list? It's obviously on steam, but is it some kind of steam group or something?

PrettyDeadman

C77Io7z.jpg

So I am playing with a party of 2 wizards (1 evoc focus 2nd enchantment focus and 2 clerics both dual wield builds).
Am I supposed to start battle with cleric having only 1 weapon so that they can buff, then use turn to equip other weapon and only then start battle?

cruelio

Savant

Interesting. Where did you find that list? It's obviously on steam, but is it some kind of steam group or something?

It's under the global achievements screen https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1083760/leaderboards/3485317/

C77Io7z.jpg

You can't cast spells with somatic component in this with both hands occupied. So yes, if for some reason you want to dual wield with clerics you would have to spend an action to equip an extra weapon during combat. Dual wielding clerics sounds terrible btw.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could try taking the metamagic feat Still Spell and see if that works for you. You'll be using slots one level higher than normal to do that, though. Alternatively, maybe try Quick Draw and see if that lets you swap your stuff around for free. I've never tried it in Knights of the Chalice to see how it works there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
A lot of people, including me, complain about not enough race/class choices in Knights of the Chalice, but I think it's the only reason I was able to finish the game. I worry that I'll never finish part 2 because I'll keep thinking, "What if I try this party?!" every time I get a few hours into the game.
This is my current problem with PF: Kingmaker. I've started like 10 fucking times now and I'm so god damned sick of the early quests. To be fair, a lot of those restarts have been due to bugs or poorly explained rules interactions.

Jinn

Arcane
This is kind of off-topic, but to all serial-restarters: just play through the game and accept the choices you make. Rolling a new character/party is what full replays several years later are for. It's better than destroying the beginning of the game's content by playing it over and over and over again because you can't commit to a certain build. Or at the very least, limit yourself to only one restart. Same kind of goes for excessive save-scumming when it's not really necessary.

Such a common problem on this here codex.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, that'd be fine if the choice I was accepting was "I made a chaotic good warrior instead of a lawful evil sorceror" but when the choice is "I took a level in three different classes to create a combo that does nothing and now my main character is a gimp with only level 1 spells and 1 BAB at level 5" starting over is a lot more attractive.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, that'd be fine if the choice I was accepting was "I made a chaotic good warrior instead of a lawful evil sorceror" but when the choice is "I took a level in three different classes to create a combo that does nothing and now my main character is a gimp with only level 1 spells and 1 BAB at level 5" starting over is a lot more attractive.

Do NOT create this "multiclassing" builds with your main character before testing it in an "hired" companion. Even at lv 20, costs only 200k gold(not sure) to hire an merc on your tavern. Lost 200k in game gold is better than lost 150+ hours.

edit : checked and according to wikia is 200k https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Mercenaries

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You could try taking the metamagic feat Still Spell and see if that works for you. You'll be using slots one level higher than normal to do that, though. Alternatively, maybe try Quick Draw and see if that lets you swap your stuff around for free. I've never tried it in Knights of the Chalice to see how it works there.
You can cast from wands if you have them eqiped. So, for example if a cleric is equiped with a shield and a wand you can use the wand without having to de-equip either shield or wand. Technically, you could craft wands for 2 dual-wielding clerics, say a +4 adamantine wand with holy+destruction, enchanted with Divine Power (50 charges) and the other one with Mass Pro Evil, and the second cleric can have one with Divine Power and then another spell on their second wand like summon elemental or Prayer. Then you could use your combat buffs and go to town without trouble. If you need more spell casting or higher level spells you would need to make 1 hand free though, Quick Draw works well for that.
Personally, I use Quick Draw on all characters who have to juggle with weapons/wands, like clerics and mages.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Interesting. The answers as well.
Maybe it's a second playthrough, in that case my answer is probably irrelevant, if it's not i had far more fun on my second playthrough with a Dual wield warrior + 2 clerics + a mage (could work with 2 mages and one cleric) than with my first with 2 clerics + 2 mages.

In this scenario, you don't have to bother too much with the switching shenanigans or just with one cleric if you have two or you could have one cleric with a shield and no weapon (tank) and one with one weapon and no shield.

It works better for me, i use single handed clerics only, can be a little rough at times but it works, at least until the last optional battle where it gets spicy and a couple of other fights like the imprisoned Vrook (if you tackle him early on) and the Greater Balor in the tower.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1083760/announcements/detail/1586878441576085129

Knights of the Chalice version 1.35

Version 1.35 has now been released. Here is the list of changes:

- Fixed a bug involving the Wall of Stone spell and some creatures such as Gorgons and Dragons.

- When trading and mousing over an item that you can sell, the game will now display 'Push S to Sell'.

- You can now obtain the 'No Scribe Scrolls' achievements even if your characters employ the 'Share Spells' function.

- You can now scroll down the Ranking of the Knights (leaderboard). You can click on the arrow icons, use the mouse wheel, or press any of the following keys: up, down, page up, page down, home and end.

Thank you for playing!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1083760/announcements/detail/3630387503627460564

Knights of the Chalice version 1.36 now available

Version 1.36 has now been released. Here is the list of changes:

- You can now use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down the main view.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when a random encounter was triggered on the world map at the exact same time that the player clicked to go somewhere.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when some party members are dead or petrified and the player tries to pick up items on the floor.

- Fixed a bug that occurred when attempting to swap the party leader with a dead or petrified character.

- The AI will no longer attempt to cast the 'Remove Paralysis' spell on creatures who are paralysed because any one of their ability scores has fallen to zero.

Thank you for playing, best regards everyone!

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
My most anticipated game of the last 10 years. Your uncompromising approach will lead to pure 3.5 glory.

IMO there are three (non-blobber) games in the top echelon of TB party combat titles. KoTC1, ToEE, Shattered Lands. KOTC2 looks to go next level, giving us next level KOTC, plus FRUA style module tools. Prestigious company.

Geckabor

Savant
Finally planning on playing this thing, but I'm unsure about feats for my fighters: Which weapon focus is viable to take? Can I take greataxe for example?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom