Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Knights of the Chalice Released on Steam

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 23, 2019.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice

Knights of the Chalice - a turnbased cRPG based on the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 OGL - has been released on Steam.

Knights of the Chalice is a 2D RPG with turn-based combat for Windows. The game uses the OGL 3.5, the set of rules at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, a role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Create a party of four adventurers, explore the Crimson Coast of Mindrel and fight valiantly against the evil Council of the Slaver Lords, domineering Giants, fiendish Demons and scheming Dragons.

Turn-based, party-based tactical combat similar to that found in the old Dark Sun Shattered Lands game made by SSI and in Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

User-friendly interface. Launch a charge, full-attack or coup-de-grace with a single click - the computer will automatically look for the best option available.

Well-developed artificial intelligence. Enemies act as a group and use special actions like Grapple or Charge and tactics like taking a five-foot step before casting Maximised Fireball.

Omnipresent help files and clear in-game feedback (a feature also found in Temple of Elemental Evil) on the results of each dice roll, saving throw, attack roll, modifiers, etc.

175 magic spells, most of which were taken from, or inspired by, Wizard of the Coast's open game content. The list of spells is available from the developer's website.

Craft your own weapons and apply enchantments like Wounding, Speed, Flaming Burst and Keen. The lists of weapon enchantments and feats are in the developer's website.

Multiple-choice dialogue allowing you to resolve situations in unexpected ways.

A large campaign largely inspired by the classic Dungeons & Dragons modules Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants.

Enjoy collecting 100 Steam achievements designed to challenge the best tacticians.​

There's a demo available if you want to try it out.

If you want to learn why you should play this game, look no further than Darth Roxor's review, from a time when he was still young and hadn't sold out yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 21
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    I just bought it, this isn't fake news. KotC approved both by Trump and Hillary.

• Funny x 3
    • Salute x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Did anyone catch this?

• Funny x 11
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Goldfist x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    The more you think about it, the more you realize roots are at the root of everything.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DoomIhlVaria Cipher Patron

DoomIhlVaria
    I'm glad this guy has finally learned to like money. Buying a new Steam copy immediately.

• incline incline x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Pretty Prophet Patron

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Become too excited after buying KOTC, so had to buy also:
    D&D Krynn Series
    D&D Pool of Radiance Series
    Eye of Beholder Series
    MENZOBERRANZAN & Dungeon Hack

• Brofist x 11
    • incline x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    Your avatar fits this emotion so well

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Doggy Doggy x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Endarire Learned

Endarire
    Part of the delay in KotC coming to Steam was my finding a softlocking bug in the Orc Fort. (Leaving the fort before finishing everything inside prevented the gate to the fort from being reopened and the game from progressing.) The game's author said he would fix that for the Steam release.

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm going to buy it, but I think it comes very very very late to have decent sales.

some years ago it would have sold nice, today, too much competition, but it's good to have it there.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Man I love this game. Playing simultaneously now alongside Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. What I wouldn't give for a Dark Sun that felt as good as KotC

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    [​IMG]

:obviously:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. jewboy Savant

jewboy
    Because artists don't work for free. The one man team should port this to the Atari 2600 and HP 48 series calculators. My Atari 400 with 48kB of RAM should be able to play this too? If not it needs more optimization. I think I would have just gone with all text instead of early 80s graphics. At least then you could turn the verbosity all the way up past 11 and bathe in the rich textual descriptions of battle.

• what? what? x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Iluvcheezcake Savant

Iluvcheezcake
    Bought it as soon as it was available :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Richard Leaks Novice

Richard Leaks
    Bought to provide a few extra roots to Pierre.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    CLERIC
    WIZARD
    WIZARD
    WIZARD

• Prestigious Prestigious x 6
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
  17. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    He heard that saying, that "money is the root..." and didn't pay any attention whatsoever to the rest of it.

• Funny x 7
    • Creative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Absolutely agree with this. KOTC originally came out in what, 2009? It would have been paired with the likes of Braid and probably sold if not as much, at least around 50.000 copies or so. Eventually, it might have even reached a six-digit number after a few price-drops and one-dollar bundles.

But nowadays? Not only will it go unnoticed by most of the gamers, but journalists aren't even going to bat an eyelash. Most popular YouTubers and streamers? Nah, who are we kidding?

Still, I think releasing it even nowadays will be more financially lucrative to Pierre than it would be if he decided to stick to his autistic my-store-or-the-highway attitude he displayed until recently.

• Despair Despair x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Where is the Battle of the Sands RTS of his on Steam? I searched but couldn’t find it.

I’ll only buy KOTC if I can also buy that RTS.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. BlueSalamander Heroic Fantasy Games Developer

BlueSalamander
    Thank you very much for the amazing support, VentilatorOfDoom! Also big thanks to DoomIhlVaria, Pretty, CRD, Iluvcheezcake, Richard Leaks, BlackGoat and everyone else!

:D Indeed they are. I salute you, all ye who are rooting for KotC 1 and KotC 2. I'll do my best not to disappoint!

That's correct. The gate of the fort will now open up when the party discovers the underground exit.

:D Then I'll make a game bundle specifically for you.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dickie Arcane

Dickie
    I went ahead and bought it again on Steam. I forgot how hard that first battle is with all the orcs, where my dudes are getting one-shot by enemies who aren't even rolling max damage. Fun stuff. I've only beaten the games three times before, and that was so long ago. I'm so glad that KotC 2 will have more than three classes.

I left a positive review, too. Last I checked, there were six reviews and all were positive. I hope that stuff helps.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Bought it again, left a review and also wrote one for the RPG Codex curator. I made fun of Pierre's business skills for years, now I hope he sees the light, makes some good money and deliver a wonderful KotC2.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Bought this. Going to fire it up tonight.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    It would be really nice if everyone who bought it would do the same. I know upvoting the most popular/best-written review is probably what most of you will do, but I think writing a short review (even if it is a sentence or two long) would help a great deal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Been almost a decade since I last played KOTC, really having a blast with the steam version.

Hopefully Pierre gets some dough from this re-release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)