Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chapter 1
"Here in Larnmarn..."

Here in Larnmarn, in every inn
we sing all day, like we always did,
songs about gold and better old time,
about great maidens and brave lads!

Refrain: Larnmarn, Larnmarn,
I will give you my gold!
Larnmarn, Larnmarn,
and it's fine folk!

Here in Larnmarn, on every street,
you may meet either archmage or twit,
both kings and jesters drinks together here,
until famous floor of our taverns, they meet!

Here in Lanmarn, you will lose your gold,
not always in pretty way, but... hey! - you know,
we don't let them hurt you, this isn't savage land,
this is your old Larnmarn, full of thieves like us!

And after this short song, you finally know,
something about Larnmarn, I did my job,
now it is time, to pay for my words,
buy me some beer and you are free to go!

by Kailravo, Bard of Mist.

Larnmarn was cold as every morning. Lake surrounding city was and still is main cause behind cold temperature, even in middle of summer. People learned to accept that. 'It is just one of it's charms', they say. Well... in your safehouse you didn't feel that cold - dwarven pipes and masonry keep warm air inside of buildings. And even if you would want to get rid of that air - you don't have any windows in it, so only way would be just opening ventilation shafts and waiting.

Last day, you just waited for a little after Regreh served some good dish... not that you even remember what it was, some sort of meat. This isn't important, anyway. Castor didn't came back, but that was easy to predict... Council want to keep him safe. Some random house in Dwarf Ward isn't safe enough.

Anyway, instead of worring about little lying demonologist, you decided to collect last pieces of informations that you ordered and finally have better look at this whole thing.

Larnmarn and it's situation: Nothing really new outside of that you learned - demons attack, it harms trade and make people scared. More and more mercs come to replace those that die every attack. Dwarves are still creating new pipes all around their Ward. Council meetings are rumored to happend every week, instead of two.

City Guards are allowed to use lethal force on anyone that try to get into any secured area. Thieves and Assassins now have official permission to do it. (Not that they ever needed it. It is just formality) Prices for food are very stable. Wizards do less of their public lectures in their Ward.

Well, there are also some interesting informations about bunch of nobles from Lords that want to escape from Larnmarn as soon as shit become to dangerous for them and they want to hire most of smugglers to work for them, when people will want to escape from city if everything fails and demons will get into other Wards.

Known World informations: Not much happend in Known World since your disapperance... at least some people could say so. But those people would be blind. You aren't one of them.
Shonzang Empire want to made some sort of deal, as you learned from Samer, back in Ravenhord (they sent someone to Circle to make a deal).

Some sects from South Kingdoms became a bit more active and started to support new king, out of blue. Interesting... and suprising. They were in conflict for many years with king now. It may be interesting enough to look at.
Dragon Empire announced that they want to form new generation of famous Dragon Spear. Many people responded and tournament to get best ones is still in progress. (legendary force of 150 soldiers armed with spears and trained in advanced combat techniques. Each 50 years they are formed again and old ones retires. But even more famous thing then their skills are their magical boots - rumored to give man an speed and stamina of an horse for around 24 hour each week. Charge of soldiers running with their spears aimed at you, when they are as fast and strong as horses... yeah, it makes you want to be in other place. Any other place then direction to their charge. Their boots are so well guarded by Dragon Empire that they always organize hunting party to get anyone outside their ranks that manage to either stole or get it other way).

Dwarves priests sings that their Pantheon became bigger - new godlike child was born. When Regreh himself heard about this, he ran away to town, you found him drunk as fuck. You never saw any dwarf so happy. Yes, this is something big.

Something happend in Free Tribunat, but not much details came with those rumors. Some people say that big fleet of people from Far North came and pillaged at least three of those towns and then retreated. Some other people say that they came there, escaping from something. Other people say - it was just an layover and they are traveling to some other place (most of people think that they are going to attack Sand People desert towns, far away on south, beyond Barrier in South Kingdoms.

Also, Masked came back/his body was found! This is fresh one. One day, Circle just send message about that rewards will no longer be provided to anyone. Huh, interesting... yes? No? Why, ma'am? You heard about this... I'm so sorry...

Guardians (large group of people that dedicated their lives to protect rest of lands from those Void creatures that managed to get on Zinoth by Rift) warned kingdoms around Void Wasteland about increased activity of void creatures. Some of those were supposed to appear outside of Wastelands.

Your disapperance, infromations about yourself: You tried to dig deep, among many of your aliases and covers, but you found nothing. Some people spread rumors about Ravenhord and truth behind it, but most of people either don't believe or don't care. Except Council and Circle that pay for those informations. Probably those that survived explossion are talking about it around.

About Hiri and other agents from old House: This matter was probably most important for you... you spend most of your 'information fee' gold on it. You also tried to dig on your own... and surprisingly, you found something. Some of beggars that you hired told you something about girl very, very similiar to Hiri that also hired some of them. She was searching for someone, woman. You heard enough to know that it as about you, even if she didn't knew either color of her eyes or hair - it is actually thing that make that woman you. She appeared two months ago with party of some people, from what beggars says, those were her friends, but they were far to young to be any of your agents. She spend some time, around month searching for that woman, but suddenly, she and her party get away from town in one night, probably after some information... direction? Well, most of beggars says they went either south or east.

About anyone else from old House - nothing.

Blue Eyes and his death: Again, nothing but one thing - Silver Towers mostly either refers to either one of sects in South Kingdoms or... to Dragon Empire caverns, one of those were one of wyrms sleeps. You managed to find both main temple and those caverns and marked those on your private map.

Pretty big collection of information... not always useful, but you know that searching informations is like trying to find golden powder in sand - it takes time and a lot of patience to strain informations and rumors. Anyway, you write those to your journal in your own code and decides to look around... until you heard knock.

'Hey, is somebody home?. Hello?' you heard male voice. Young male, probably young adult. You slowly come to door, with your blade hidden behind you. Looking though eyehole you see pretty face. Blue eyes. Blonde, short hair. Short beard. Blue cloak and scale armor, pretty nice work... standard equipment of Larnmarn City Guard. You decide to open door.

'Yes?' you look at him, now looking at his whole body. Higher then you, but to be honest, you aren't biggest woman in Known World... but you are still pretty high! Hard to say how well builded he is under that armor, but he is rather strong. Designations on his armlet points out that he is one of lower officers.

'Oh...' he offers you an troubled smile. 'Ma'am... Black?' he looks at sheet of paper in his hand. Huh, using your old fake alias? Interesting.

'Maybe... depends who ask.' you tighten your grip on blade. He takes something from his pocket and shows to you... Council sigil. So he is one of their agents... 'Then, yes. Come in, please.' you open door and let him in. He thanks you with nod and still troubled smile.

'I'm Falr.' he looks around your safehouse and then turn his eyes on you. 'I will be your... contact with Council, ma'am. Also, I'm connection to everything you may need from our forces.'

'Everything I may need? This is new. Anything else... why not an little lecture for new colleague?' you grins to him, trying to get him into one of oldest spy jokes. You would scold him for teaching you how to work, but sadly, he brokes it with his words.

'My masters told me about that you worked for them in past, ma'am, so I did not thought you would want this... but, if you really want, I can remind you...' he scratches his beard, a little bit more troubled then before. You shake your head with disappointment and sighs. 'Oh. And by everything... I mean everything. If you will need some sort of support from Guard in some matter, inform me. If you will need something official, like document or license, inform me. And so on. Every Guild is for... most of your requests. I will try to ask Council for support.'

Huh, they really were serious about this work... working alone is one thing. But commaning entire guilds to help you finding those damn anchors? Damn. Well, not ENTIRE guilds and not commanding, but requesting a bit of their help, but hey! It make you feel important.

'I see. Impressive. So you are my contact. Nice to meet you... you can call me Weaver, this is how most of people do it these days. But in public, please use Black or Laizne.' you put your blade into scabbard. He looks at it, suprised.

'Damn it... I see you are ready for everything, Weaver. I would be dead if you would want it. Anyway, I'm not only our contact... I was send there to work with you, all time. As officer of Guard I can do many things even as myself, without any support of other guilds. I hope you don't mind.' he looks at you, waiting for response.

Yeah, you could predict that Council would want their man as a part of group that search anchors. You smile to him and hake your head.

'No, I don't mind. I knew something like this will happend. Anyway, welcome in our group. I think my... well... other part of group, dwarf Regreh is somewhere in Ward... probably "collecting informations". Or like normal people call it - drinking.' he chuckles and nods.

'Good to know... So, maybe we will go around Drunk Ward, I suppose you want to meet Profe...' knock. Knock, knock. You both of you look at door, but nobody respond. You nod to him and points at other site of the door, so he will be hidden behind it. He nods and try to silently get into that place... hard thing to do with armor. Clicking scales are loud. Damn it...

You look though keyhole to see pair of people. Man and woman, wearing black, leather armors and cloaks. Simple scabbards and blades in those... at least woman have blades, two short swords. You don't see any weapon on man. Man have short, black hair and beard, brown eyes. Woman hair are also black, but way longer, almost reach her shoulder. Her eyes are... woah. You heard about purple eyes, but never saw any like those. Really pretty.

Your sensitive eyes also let you see little, hidden crossbows under their cloaks... huh. Assassins. You whisper decide to open door, but before that you warn Falr. He nods and takes his long sword in his hands.

Slowly opening door you looks at assassins... and they look at you.

'Weaver?' woman voice is almost painful for your ears... she sounds like damn harpy. Actually, it is almost pretty voice, but you heard people like that too many times - confidence, perfection and big ego. 'Alexander send us. We are here to help you.'

You look at them, suprised, when they show you private sigil of Varnemo family, not Assassins Guild. Man, instead of cold eyes as his companion, offers you small smile.

'May we come in?' you slowly open door, hidding your blade again. Falr, suprised, do same thing. Pair of assassins get looks at him and welcome him with same nods.

'I'm Avian and this is Natrila... Alex... I mean, Alexander send us to help you with your job. We aren't officaly there, of course. Oh and if you have any doubt that he send us... well, welcome... Auntie.' Avian chuckles while Natrila only shakes her head and place her hand on forehead, sighing... Aunite... damn this little brat.

'Uh, anyway... we were talking about where we should go today... we must start our work, ma'am Weaver. Many people want to talk with you. You must see many things.' Falr scratches his head, troubled... yes. Who the hell he means? Before you can even ask, Avian interrupts.

'Oh... and Weaver. Alexander asked us to ask you if you can drop by and meet with him soon. He want to talk with you.' Avian adds quickly.

You sighs... welcome back, Weaver. Time to work.

Time to choose...

1. You must decide where you will go today, as you don't have infinite time to spend on talking and searching informations. While you could use some help from Avian and Natrila, Guilds are probably too busy to help you with those things, for now (unless I point out that you may send Falr to contact those and get response next update). Update itself timeskips by three days, so you have some time too choose and meet or search something or someone. Some activities take whole day, some only part of it.

First day - (put choosen thing there, if you send someone else to deal with it, write name next to like "Informations about X (Avian))
Second -
Third -

a) Visting Castor in Drunk District (includes information about state of district, looking around and everything you can think of and tell me you want to do there) - 3/4 of day or whole day if you choose some more activity there. (You MUST choose this one) - possible only for you, but adding others may give more results.
b) Information directly from Guilds - 1/4 of day each one. (Thieves, Assassins, Guard, Council Mercenaries, Whores/Beggars, Wizards) - May send Falr, but you can't do Castor activity same time.
c) Visiting someone that want to meet you - 1/4 of day each (Alexander, Katarina Cook, Kardim Brotheron, leaders of Thieves and Wizard Guilds) - possible only for you.
d) Searching most possible points for placing anchors - 1/2 of day each Ward. - May send Guard, Wizards or do it with your group. Each one may give other results.
e) Try to find anyone connected to demons and leading to more traces - 1/2 of day - Possible for you as Circle don't want thing about anchor spread. May give you new choices and leads.
f) Nevill plan
g) Freeform. (Give me an idea, I will give you activity time and possible people)

2. Eating... uh... sucking? You must tell Council how much people you want.
a) Enough to feed you without killing them
b) Enough to feed you with sucking them dry.
c) A little more then you need to get more Soul points - Max five people each two weeks.

Hope you like this update!

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What are the differences between 2a and 2b? A the people live, b the people die?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
What are the differences between 2a and 2b? A the people live, b the people die?

Yes and that it will take bigger amount of people to feed on then harmlessly. (10 or 9). Sucking them dry means that they will just die. Not that it matter for Council as they give you criminals, usually. Or people that know too much. Still, it can matter for some people, like your companions. There is something disturbing in view of people dying just becouse someone touches them, even for longer while...

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just caught up with this.

Alexander and the leaders of the Wizard Guild are a must to visit. The first has information and spies, the latter have the means to do the things we need - or at least the expertise to say whether something is plausible or not.

What exactly can we do in the Drunk Ward with Castor? I thought we would see him last, as a finishing touch, but does it make sense to meet up with him first to establish a better grip on what we are supposed to find?

Ideally, consult with the wizards and assassins/thieves, and form groups to search the possible anchor locations. Wizards to find them, the assassins/thieves/spies to search them without being very noticeable/obvious.

We should put our expertise as a Field Agent to use, we didn't choose this perk for nothing.

I am not certain whether we should meet Castor first, to form our plan, or last, to make a report based on the information we will get.

That's two days. Alexander, Wizards, Field work - 1 day, Castor and more field work in Drunk Ward - 2nd. Need to think of what to use the 3rd day on.

Nevill

Arcane
Can you remind me who the leader/leaders of the Thieves Guild are, and what exactly do they do?

Council mercs/guards are good as enforcers for when we find anything, but not much else. They are too well-known and will spook our targets. Can't think of a use for them. :|

Whores/beggars? Don't know... if they know anything, the info will get to the Council, no? Through Katarina and their agents among the beggars. I see no reason to contact them on a lower level when we can get the information already filtered. On the other hand, if we need to start a rumor or find out spmething specific... but I don't see any leads yet.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
What exactly can we do in the Drunk Ward with Castor? I thought we would see him last, as a finishing touch, but does it make sense to meet up with him first to establish a better grip on what we are supposed to find?

Look around, make some plans(you mentioned finding ways to get out of Drunk fast), talk with mercs for personal reports and rumors and whatever else you can think of.

Ideally, consult with the wizards and assassins/thieves, and form groups to search the possible anchor locations. Wizards to find them, the assassins/thieves/spies to search them without being very noticeable/obvious.

We should put our expertise as a Field Agent to use, we didn't choose this perk for nothing.

No problem, just tell me what you want to do.

I am not certain whether we should meet Castor first, to form our plan, or last, to make a report based on the information we will get.

Up to you, my friends.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Can you remind me who the leader/leaders of the Thieves Guild are, and what exactly do they do?

Last time you heard about Thieves Guild leader it still was "One-Eyed" Diego, kind of legendary thief that became Council member after he broke into Citadel. Al least this is story that Larns usually tell everyone who ask bout him. What he do... Let me use Discworld example - he makes sure that organised crime stay organised. Thieves have their own guild rules and enforce them. Thanks to this instead of group of batshit crazy thugs Larnmarn have thieves that actually are treated like fair folk. And they make sure nobody will rob you if you pay them. They help poor folk and train orphans. And this is why unregistered thief is synonymous with "hanged thief". Of course there are people that try their luck... Try is keyword for most of them.

Council mercs/guards are good as enforcers for when we find anything, but not much else. They are too well-known and will spook our targets. Can't think of a use for them. :|

Whores/beggars? Don't know... if they know anything, the info will get to the Council, no? Through Katarina and their agents among the beggars. I see no reason to contact them on a lower level when we can get the information already filtered. On the other hand, if we need to start a rumor or find out spmething specific... but I don't see any leads yet.

That is good idea, actually. But have in mind that people I pointed out ASK to meet with Weaver. They may have some ideas or other kind of thing. Not always connected to anchors. Or maybe they just want to talk?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, the problem is that we are trying to find something that we don't know how to find, and we are trying to make a three-part plan where it is possible that we may discover a piece of information that we might need to act upon after we hear it.

So far Castor is the only one who knows what we are looking for. Well, what's his plan? Or do we need to meet him to find out?

Who is better at moving into places undetected - thieves or assassins? If we are looking to install some devices/bugs (the ones Wev was on the lookout about), who do we turn to?

e) Try to find anyone connected to demons and leading to more traces
What's the idea? How Wev thinks she would do this as an agent if it was a task given to her by a spymaster?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Well, the problem is that we are trying to find something that we don't know how to find, and we are trying to make a three-part plan where it is possible that we may discover a piece of information that we might need to act upon after we hear it.

So far Castor is the only one who knows what we are looking for. Well, what's his plan? Or do we need to meet him to find out?

That is main point of meeting with him. He probably is making some sort of plan and maybe already have some place where he can send you to search. Falr says that Castor want to talk about it personally. He apparently don't like sending messages about plans. So yes - you need to meet him.

Who is better at moving into places undetected - thieves or assassins? If we are looking to install some devices/bugs (the ones Wev was on the lookout about), who do we turn to?

Definitely assassins. Thieves may be professionals but they aren't used to getting into places that may contain demonic magic or something like that... not that assassins are, but they will probably be better in heat of both hiding from their eyes as killing them.

Either assassins or Guard. Wizards usually create them, but they always send what they have to those two guilds. Probably Alex can borrow you some if you will ask him. Maybe.

e) Try to find anyone connected to demons and leading to more traces
What's the idea? How Wev thinks she would do this as an agent if it was a task given to her by a spymaster?

Maybe Castor could find something connected to demons and try to find similiar aura somewhere in town? Or you can search on your own, of course, after Castor will tell you what to look for. Or maybe some sect from town know something? (Actually, those are both rolls and ideas that may give you some leads or don't. You can call it 'shoot in dark room' way) Weaver thinks that she needs more informations about this whole mess or she won't either progress or it will take too much time and only person she know so far that may have this kind of info is Castor.

Nevill

Arcane
Thieves may be professionals but they aren't used to getting into places that may contain demonic magic or something like that... not that assassins are, but they will probably be better in heat of both hiding from their eyes as killing them.
Well, this is the thing. If we are talking bugs, we are also talking stealth. If we are talking fighting demons, stealth goes to hell.

I would expect thieves to have more experiences with traps and the like - avoiding demonic magic if there are no actual mages in sight. Otherwise we need not thieves or assassins, but city guards with a few ballistas to level the place.

Maybe Castor could find something connected to demons and try to find similiar aura somewhere in town? Or you can search on your own, of course, after Castor will tell you what to look for.
All right, that made me decide. Castor should be first. If anything, he can give us ideas what to ask of the guild leaders when we meet them.

So my tentative plan is this.

1) Meet Castor, hear him out, learn the potential leads. Examine the Ward we'll be working with (I suppose one of the anchors might be there, a dangerous/evacuated zone is an idea place to hide it in), find out ways to get in and out, who is stationed there and who we can count on when the invasion hits. If we are there during the attack, this information would be invaluable to survival.
2) Meet Alexander and the leaders of the Wizard Guild. Form a certain cooperation between them that would help send out teams to look for clues. Mages should tell what to look for and if there are any oddities/fields/whatever to watch out for, assassins should do the actual scouting and try not to set off alarms for our enemies.

Somewhere we should fit our own field work based on Castor's leads.

Will think of what to do with an extra day. Probably searching the Wards.

Weaver thinks that she needs more informations about this whole mess or she won't either progress or it will take too much time and only person she know so far that may have this kind of info is Castor.
What does she think about mages as a source of information? Demons are Castor's forte, but this is still summoning magic, right?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Weaver thinks that she needs more informations about this whole mess or she won't either progress or it will take too much time and only person she know so far that may have this kind of info is Castor.
What does she think about mages as a source of information? Demons are Castor's forte, but this is still summoning magic, right?

Hehe, you see, not really. At least, Castor would claim so... let's say that it is responce from me, to you as players - pure gamewise and outside of plot. How magic work in Known World, let's say. I will later add it to first post.

When any human/elf/whatever excluding dwarf borns, his soul is created/appears/come from pool of existence/yadda dadda - religions and theories on that are divided on this. He already have some part of his magic inside of him, both with connections to some forces of it. While there ARE something like 'schools' of magic from standard fantasy things, it is more like this:

Magic user borns. His soul is strong with some of sources of primal magic... let's say that he is very connected to fire magic, but with this, he have much weaker connection with other sources. Of course, there are people that have strong connection with two or even more sources, but it is rare. There also are magic users that don't have any stronger connection and they can use every kind of spells, but their power never will be as big as someone with strong connection. Known sources (at least in Known World) or as Fangshi calls those - fields are:

- elemental's (fire, water, earth, air - some people say that there is fifth element, either other then those that connect them and create life that for most of people is actually other, separated source or some conbination of those, but nobody ever gave a proof for that theory),

- mind - anything connected to manipulating creatures minds (execpt ilussions), psionic or telepathy... anything. It have many subtypes, too many to count those.

- life/death - based on manipulating live force, both in harming or healing way (Know that PROPER healing magic is combination between this and body source) Most important subtypes of it are: necromancy (standard giving live force to make dead bodies or leftovers of souls to create creatures without their own will and soul to serve) and Aeromancy - almost same as necromancy, but it is actually combination of life and soul sources. It make soul of creature that inhabited body before it's death stay in it and live as undead(what is important, it work only when soul WANT it. This is why aeromancy is often described as 'good' kind of necromancy. As good as creating undead monsters with free will can be)

- body - every spell manipulating with any creature body is from this source. While it includes also transforming, it isn't only it - regeneration of wounds or broken bones also is part of it. While life source can fill your body, it is hard to keep it inside body that bleeds our or have chips of bones inside internal organs.

- shadow and light - it is one of those that is problematic for any magic wizard as they both exist as sources, but on other hand... it is hard to count them as one. People connected to them often can't even cast simple spells from other sources and actual number of those people is so damn low that many things that they are either some kind of damaged or retarded in some way. Well, not 'retarded' in normal way, but rather magicaly... cripled. Their talents are broken. In other words, they are useless... mostly. It is really hard to find either powerful light or shadow wizard, but when those appear, many people want to be in other place. They manipulate energy from either light or shadow (natural only) and can materialize those in some ways, use them as weapons or catalizators to powerful spells and do other things like that (some people even say that shadow wizards can actually move between real form of shadows in some kind of parallel plane that connect those and summon creature from there. Nothing like that can be said about light wizards).

- Soul (sometimes called Energy) - most powerful of sources and hardest to control. While manipulating life force is amazing feat, Soul magic is other level of that - it is manipulating pure form of energy that is both part of world and creatures souls. Some people (smarter then you) says that maybe this element is actually base of every other source, not only on Zinoth but whole universe outside of Void. Everything that have some matter inside of it, is fused with Soul force. Let me use Mazzarin from Myth as example there - he would use exactly same sort of magic in his most powerful spells. There aren't many people who can use this kind of magic, but most of people agree on one thing - this is area of archmages and it may be secret behind their power. Manipulating reality? Mass destruction of Gods? Shattering Voal and opening hole to Void? Soul magic. Also, as Souless, you have some kind of resistance to type of those spells that work directly on Soul. Word of Command - Die may not kill you, but turning your body into ash will work.

And here we get to those magic that work OUTSIDE of Zinoth - you don't get those too many times and this is unique thing. Summoning creatures from other planes is kind of 'epic' activity on Zinoth, becouse of Voal that prevents from that kind of manipulations... but on other planes, diferrent magic may work. Demons are people outside of Zinoth and their magic may be very diferrent then you know... but you can fight back.

There are also 'subgroups' of spells that are often hard to be closed in definiton any of sources above as those are often mixed spells using energy from many of those. I will try to write some here, but those will reflect your own character knowledge form that point. I will add more of those as soon as your character will learn about them:

- illusions - subgroup of spells that concentrate on fooling people in many ways. Creating false walls, changing apperance without using true disguise, making fake sounds or smells... list is damn long.

- tricks - not exacly spell subgroup, but I decided to place it there. When someone don't have enough magical force to cast real spells, but he have some connection to some kind of source, with enough determination and training, he can learn how to do something that may not exacly be possible for everyone else. Creating fire on his finger to light his cigar, making flashing lights, creating some wind to extinguish torch nearby... all of those are called tricks. Even if this IS use of magic, most of wizards would be offended to call anyone able to do only trick an magic user.

Spellcasting in Known World - you don't cast exactly spells there, instead you use force combined with your focus and will. Some people just use certain incantations or rituals becouse it helps them keep focus.

While forming energy to cast a spell, you use your own energy, doesn't matter if cast it from some sort of source around you or only from your own energy. You can't just cast spell forever. Even archmages can't, but they of course have more of power inside of them.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Can we send each named character somewhere on their own or do the function as "our group?"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Why Falr and any Castor-related activity don't mesh together?

Depends what you mean. Falr is now party of your party and stay with you as support from Council.

I assumed Falr had to take us to Castor, but I may be wrong.

Actually, you can go alone, If you say that Castor request your presence they will ask him bout that and let you in. In same time, Assassins and Regreh can do other things that don't require your presence.

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, so. The Plan.

First day - visit Castor and discuss possible venues of research with him. Examine the Ward in detail. Ins and outs, potential hideouts, the forces located there, possible secure places to wait out the siege, possible anomalies - anything that might be of interest either to our search or to our survival when it comes to operating there. This is something we need to do personally.

First day - a) us, Falr, Avian and Natrila. I want our contacts to be present, and I want them to relay the relevant information to their peers and possibly chime in with their comments.

Second day - meetings with Alexander and Wizards Guild. This will take half a day. The point is to organize joint teams to send out to other wards which would operate more efficiently than separate ones, and also get information about possible strange happenings/oddities/anything unusual in the City that can be connected to the invasion. The rest of the day I want to spend in the field, working on our own with the resourses and leads given to us by Castor and the two Guilds.

At the same time I want Falr and/or Natrila to contact the Thieves Guild and Katarina/Beggars to help us during the third day.

Second day

First half:
b) Thieves (Natrila/Avian);
c) Alexander (us, Natrila or Avian), Wizards Guild (us, Falr)

Second half:
b) Whores, Beggars (Falr), Dwarves (Regreh);
e) us;

d) added - North Ward (Natrila/Avian and their assassins + wizards and thieves if they are on board)

Our time: Alexander, Wizards Guild, Field Work (1 day total)
Natrila/Avian time - Alexander with us; Thieves guild (1/2 day total);
added - form a joint thieves/assassins/mage team and search North Ward (1 day total)
Falr time - Wizards Guild with us; contact Whores and Beggars (3/4 day total)
Regreh time - contacting dwarves (1 day?)

On the third day I suggest we start combing the Wards with everyone we have.

Third day - d) Thieves, Guards, Assassins, Wizards, our group and dwarves. Normally they could check 10 wards (1/2 day each, for each group, if I am not mistaken). However, I want them organized on a complementary principle. Mixed groups to cover any possible deficiencies. Also, use whatever is more logical - don't send Guards to patrol in Thieves Ward if that's going to cause tensions or raise suspicions. Look natural.

Our group will search the Drunk Ward itself, and I want the best agents there.

An exception is Dwarf Ward. I want Regreh to try and find out something there. Anything that can help our cause, really. If he can't stay quiet, have him find something who can. I doubt other groups will have much success there, they are not very inconspicuous among dwarves, and the Earthkin tend to stay away from other species, from what I gathered.

The list of wards to search:
Drunk Ward - our group (DO NOT STAY THERE UNTIL NIGHT!)
Thief Ward -
Thieves and Assassins primarily?
Magic Ward
Citadel -
Guards primarily? Wizards would not be unwelcome, too.
Beggars Ward - use help from the Beggar guild in searching the place
Trade Ward
Circle Ward
Lords Ward -
Guards primarily?
South Ward
Central Council

Dwarf Ward - Regreh and whoever he enlists.

Any obvious holes in the plan, Karwelas?

Edit: North Ward isn't covered. However, I noticed that Natrila/Avian have exactly 1/2 day free, so they can tend to it during the 2nd day.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. Nevill's plan
2A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom