Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
B>C. We are not his toy. We'll do it our way, and without his help, if need be.

But if he still wants to help us in any other capacity, or better yet, help our plan succeed, he is welcome.

Jester

Arbiter
Emmm cant we ask him to deal with that wall blocking dwarfs underground instead?
It should be much easier for him to do.

Guess that fall under C?
vote C > B

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I think kindly telling him to get lost help us do it our way won. If persuasion fails, do it our own way anyways.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ok good. Blowing shit up ourselves sounds better than being Masked/Circle's bitch.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok good. Blowing shit up ourselves sounds better than being Masked/Circle's bitch.

Grim, if you want, you can still vote. I barely started writing it, so if you want to still vote, feel free. I don't think anyone will be angry at that. But from that I see, you also prefer option that won, so... Well, I don't know if there is a point.

And yeah, you votes are pretty much pointing at asking for help and if it fails, at blowing up tower... Trying to do it, at least.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Would have voted B. I bet that punk Masked wants to preserve the tower for his/her own nefarious plans.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Guys, sorry, but you must wait for end of this week until update. I'm trying to save myself for fucking up last class, becouse math. Sorry, this is important, much more then this CYOA, but I believe you understand.

See you soon, if I will be still alive.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Tally:

asx - I assumed it was A, as you created a plan.
Kzr - C)
Nev - B>C
Jester - C>B
Grim - B

(Because of those 3 C options, you tried to ask Masked for help, don't worry. It shouldn't end bad... I think. If you don't manage to convince him, you go with your plan)

Created this tally just to show that I'm still alive and I managed to save myself from fucking up this semester. So yeah, back to this... when you can expect update?

Well... it will be surprise. Good surprise, I think.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 4
Battle of Larnmarn

You think for a moment, before you finally give Masked his answer... it seem more like an eternity. You think about both pros and cons. It is clear that he... she... uh. It is clear that Masked is up to something. He could just order you to do it and he know about that well enough. If he would show and talk to Alex, he would give him more help then he would need.

Masked have much more better options then contacting you, after all. For a moment, you feel fear. It never is good thing - have attention of archmage. Mages are mad enough, but archmages... at least hundred years of experience, dangerous knowledge... and sometimes, madness. It isn't easy to be still sane when you live for so many years... you don't even want to imagine how it must feel when you gather even darker knowledge then you did, as a spy. You could play along, but... it can get you in even more trouble.

You take a deep breath and finally respond. 'No, Masked. Thanks you for your offer, but I must refuse.'

Shining lines moves under hood, as creature gazes at you. You don't see anything that could say you what he thinks. He looks at you for a longer while and finally, nods.

'I see...' he starts moving and you take few steps back, looking at Samer, Maked and turning your eyes on door... you wonder if you can make it before he disintegrate you. But he doesn't seems to cast spell... no. He burst into mad laugh.

'Haha, I didn't predicted that. Yes, I must say that I was sure you will accept my offer. Ah, this is good, great even!' he looks at Samer and leans on his shoulder. 'Damn it, my dear friend. I didn't feeled so much exicitement in last... well, more then 50 years, that is damn sure.'

Samer only rolls his eyes, before he mutters. 'Yes, yes, boss. I understand.'

Masked turns to you again, as he finally stops laughing. 'Ah, so it seems that our ways parts again... You have work to do, didn't you?'

'Yes, even a lot of work to do.' your eyes examine gestures of Masked... you never meet such a weird being. All his movements, his sentences... his whole existence. He behaves almost like actor in theater. Yes, this is correct comparison. Not that you often visited theaters in past, but you know how people act and talk. You can't predict Masked at all... and that is probably his intention.

But you can do other thing. If he really plays some sort of his own game, maybe it will be worth to try... play it on your side? With his help you could do much more and what is even more important, you could to it faster. But is wise to ask him for help? Probably not, but you can always try, right?

'Masked, I don't want to accept your offer... but I may have a counter-proposal for you.' you cross your hands on your chest. For a moment, Masked looks at Samer, before he finally turns to you.

'You have my attention now, my dear. Speak.' he titls his head looking at you. Samer seems to be even more then suprised, as he finally seems to don't be bored by everything around. Or maybe it is that he is more careful now?

'I... We, yes. We may need your help with getting to that tower... but I don't want to be among those that will get into it. I'm not one trained in fighting wizards... maybe you could still let inside little squad? You wanted to do it anyway, but maybe I will be able to speak with Alex and get something more then chaos from this situation for you or Circle?' you shrugs when you finish talking... it was good. Didn't heard like beg for help.

'My dear, of course I could do it. I could send even my agents inside and clean all that shit before it would do any more damage to dear Larnmarn...ians? This is how you say it?' Samer shrughs. 'Ah, doesn't important. I could do many things, anyway. Still it would take some time. But I don't do that. Becouse it would be not only boring, it would be... damn unwise. I have no interest in that town or fate of it's people. Like I said, some of Circle members could actually be happy if it will disappear.'

'Then, why do you gave me that offer in first place?' you ask, silently. You really want to rise your eyebrow, but it would be rather stupid. You don't want to make him angry. 'You have no interest in helping this town or me. Circle memeber will be able to stop demons before they will get whole town... and even if they do, you can just do same things as you did in Varin. I don't think another meteor would be bad idea in that case.'

'It is very simple... becouse it would't be so exciting.' his eyes flashes when he says last word. 'You know, I'm not here on behalf of Circle, no. I'm here becouse I need some good entertainment... I was locked for 50 years underground, in world of ghosts of past and stagnation. Believe me, after that time, you would do anything to taste life again. And I love to taste it in pure form - dancing on the battlefield, screaming in mountains full of snow, throwing dices in smugglers den. Playing with fate.' his voice changes, when he continues. You hear... pleasure? Yes, but not only that. This voice is... different. 'Don't tell me you don't love it.' he touches area under his hood, that where his forehead should be. 'Remember, I know what you are, what you feel. You love that feeling when you creep between shadows, when enemy patrols area. You desire to hear secrets whispered in dark corners. When you run with message stolen from meessager bag, you feel that you live. It is what make you feel good, what make you feel that you are yourself. You are same as me, Weaver, when I was younger. Long, long time ago.'

You shiver as you realize that it is your own voice, coming to your ears. But you don't speak. For a moment, you try to calm yourself, before you finally speak.

'Maybe. But I'm not here for that. Or either to entertain you.' you pause, when he tilt his head again. 'I'm here to finish my deal. What do you want? What could convince you to help us with our plans, Masked, Archmage of Circle?' your voice is cold, when you finish.

Samer looks at you and then at Masked, waiting for something. Masked himself look deeply into your eyes, again... before he chuckles.

'I must say that you have really big balls, my dear.' he eyes your body and adds. 'No offense. Not many people would ask it stright away, like this. But I like it and I like you... but you are on your own. I had offer for you and you didn't accepted it. Whole story, with ending. You are on your own, now... of course, I will help Council forces in Drunk Ward. I must be sure that my friend will have stable and clear situation when they come here. I wish you good luck with your plan, Spymaster... enough sitting, Samer. We must get to work... all of us.' tone of his voice tells you clear enough that you wasted your time there. You nod to both of them and finally get of the house, leaving Archmage and his Ageless to their own fate.

Two hours passes faster then you could predict. You talked with Masked only 30 minutes, but later, you had some work to do with commanding some squads of assassins. Some wizards tried to sabotage your efforts to blow up tower by destroying some dwarf digging machines and burning some of dwarves themselfs and they managed to actually slow you down, but they rather don't stop anybody else from anything, now.

On main front, situation don't look so bright. First clash was very... chaotic, you could say. From reports you know that despite large demonic forces still appearing in portal, Larnmarn forces managed to get some advanage... but at very high price. Casualties on both sides were terrible, as both of you didn't had much knowledge about real capabilities of each other. Demons mages managed to kill many of mercs and guard, but siege machines and archers either quickly convinced them to get back into portal, only to get trampled by other forces joining fight, or either slashed into pieces.

Last reports were better, thanks Gods. Demons were forced to regroup and stop attacking, becouse of high number of dead bodies blocking portal and probably high casualties. For now, battle stopped. But for how long? Castor doesn't seems too optimistic on that one.

"They will attack sooner or later, after Umbra or Pulvis will finish butchering those that pulled back. Of course, now their attack will be more coordinated. They know it isn't gonna be cakewalk."

You hope that Masked will do as he said and help Larmarn forces in battle... you know that he won't stop all of them for too long, alone. Even archmages must rest between casting spells. How many people can one archmage kill before he will be overwhelemed, knocked down and killed? Five hundred? Thousand? Two? Well, but you don't have time to exaclty worry about that...

Dwarves finally get their explosives and machines and started to dig... it was easier to say then do. Streets are made from magical stone, strengthened and enchanted to reist attempts like that... but dwarven miners succeed, after a while. Three trenches, around tower, slowly digged by dwarven miners are key to your plan. They managed to get into lower levels under Tower and dig some of those there, but it isn't enough to knock down whole tower. Shake it a bit, maybe... but it may not be enough. And you don't want to try your luck on that one. You may have only one chance...

In meanwhile, wizard forces managed to regroup and attack in other Wards again. Main forces of Larmarn were in Drunk, but you still got some of them around...

In Trade Ward, wizard forced were slaughtered, before they could even hide and regroup. Guard and Assassins, working together, managed to amubsh traitors and kill all of them.

In Central, main even was regular battle between group of adenturers on their way between Wards and some wizard forces. Working together with Guards, they managed to push them deep into alleys of ward.

Beggars Ward is now grave of many Larmarn soliders. Wizards amubshed them there before anyone could know about their plans and now most of your forces there were either slaughtered or moved to Drunk. Still, Alex managed to lock Ward down, so they are trapped there.

In Circle, wizards decided to stay on your side and surrendered leaders of their squad to assassins. You managed to get some informations about their plans and Alexander will know how to use those.

Both Thief and North Wards are still battlefield, where any of sides can't either defead or push forces of other side.

Dwarves worked faster then you ever saw in any human mine. Their tunnels slowly managed to get closer and closer to Tower... but it was too easy, wasn't it? Before you could even scream, gates of Tower opened and bunch of golems attacked miners, for now beyond range of tower obelisk spears. They killed some of miners and destroyed some machines, but two squads still are working. Third one was almost slaughtered, only few of them left... thanks Gods you need only one of those... but you know one would be main target. You did as dwarves suggested you to act.

You really didn't planned for this to take that long... battle started five hours ago, but you slowly managed to end this. Tunnels are almost ready to plant explosives inside, but golems still are problem. They keep sending those and from that you heard, they have quite large amount of those inside.

Finally, you hear that one of tunnels is ready.

'Aye.' dwarven foreman nods. 'One of tunnels is ready. Down there, we already planted enough of explosives. Now only other one and we are ready to go!'

Alexander finally breaks and turn to dwarf. 'Then do that already, for fuck sake! We are trying to save fucking town there, not open new adit, Gods damn!'

You smile, but it is smile without joy. You are tired and worried. This shit take too long. You know that demon forces still don't attack and it make you worry even more. Anytime now, they can attack again. Another wave of golems struck with dwarves and assassins... you see how some of golems crush bunch of people right into street...

But suddenly, something hits you. For a moment, you fell on your knees... did somebody throw stone? You look around when Alexander sits next to you, talking... you don't hear him.

And then you hear Castor voice, mixed with voice of demon. They are scarred... no. They feel terror.

'WEAVER! FOR FUCK SAKE, BLOW UP THAT TOWER.' you heard some kind of explosion and scream of pain... you don't know if it was Castor. 'THEY ARE FUCKING HERE, UMBRA AND PULVIS ATTACKED WITH THEIR ELITE FORCES, WE ARE HOLDING BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH WE WILL BE ABLE TO - '

Contact stops as fast as it started... you pull Alex closer.

'Alex... blow this fuck... up! They are... there!' his eyes widens as he try to understand what you are talking about. You take deep breath and scream. 'THEY ARE BREAKING IN!'

For second, he looks at you... and then he screams. 'MOVE! MOVE! GET FUCKING CHARGES IN! AVIAN, SEND EVERY SPARE FORCE TO DRUNK! KARDIM, GET YOUR ASS FROM THERE AND COMMAND GUARD SAME! WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!'

You need a while to get back to normal... so this is why he didn't wanted to use that contact method? Damn it, you are thinking about shit when realy important things are going south. Finally, you are able to stand... and almost dies when spear hits in building next to you...

Your last thought before you faint is - 'How those bastards managed to shoot so far...?'

When you wake up, everything is already happening. You see people fighting a bit closer to tower, where obelix shoots spears at them and golems stomps on everyone. They don't seems to care what happend to anyone else down there... you stand up and look around, trying to find anyone.

You are in small "hospital" that Larnmarn forces made in Wizard... At least somebody carried you a bit away from battle itself. You would be probably dead right now if not that... wait, why the hell they don't blow that fucking tower yet?!

You rush to place where explosives were connected to detonator... it wasn't too far away from battle, but you don't plan to engage into fight. Finally, you get there to heard argument between foreman, Regreh, Avian and Darder.

'For fuck sake, I said that we tried to place those wires in, but those spears cut them each time!' Foreman respond with anger to Avian, who is barely holding himself from attacking dwarf.

'If you can't do it, then let me do this fucking job.' Avian snarled gritting his teeth.

'Are you fucking deaf or you can't understand what I just told you?! THEY. CUT. WIRES. We fucking can't do anything.' foreman screams back.

Drader pushes him and he fall on ground, suprised.

'Stop fucking spreading bullshit, boy. We can set those of manually, with small detonator, on short range. Where you have that one?' he looks around, trying to find that.

'You are mad, old fool! With that amount of fucking explosives anybody who will try to do it will be tear to pieces!'

Regreh, (and both Avian and Darder) looks at him with disgust. Regreh also adds. 'Are afraid to die then, coward? Fine, I will go. Where is this thing?'

'You are all fucking mad.' formean looks into his backpack and throw little thing with wires and little switch on it. Regreh catches it.

'Fine, I know what to do. I will go.' he start walking toward tunnel, but takes only few steps before both Avian and older dwarfs stops him. He looks at them and frowns, suprised.

'You aren't going anywhere, Regreh. It is my hometown and I will fucking do it, not you. You aren't...' you decide to get into their argument before it will get too far. Men... arguing about that who will sacrifice himself... for Gods sake.

'All of you, shut up. Nobody of you is going in... neither I. You are too important.' they look at you, surpised. Regreh smiles and waves.

'Sleeping princess finally wakes up... good to know you are all right. Those fuckers almost got you. They wanted to kill Alex, but they messed it up. He is safe with Kardim, commanding forces from Citadel... Avian forced him to do it.' Avian smiles when Regreh mention his work in it.

'Hey, what it is what you do for your best friends, right?' he looks at you and nods, as his face became worried again. 'Weaver, listen... there is no other way. Nobody else know how to do it and everybody else are helding of golems. That fucker there didn't wanted to either join fight or blow it up. We mu - ugh!' he winces when Darder hits him in crotch. Regreh try to dodge his other punch, but you quickly knock him out with hilt of your knive.

Darder picks up detonator and nods. 'I see you saw what I wanted to do...' he smiles to you.

'Of course... I know when somebody want to attack. Experience, years of it.' you do same... and adds. 'Are you sure you want to do it?'

Old dwarf nods. 'Girl, I'm old. Older then you, much older. I was old when Goban-Tar happend... and this time, I have chance to do something right. Goban-Tar was a mistake. My mistake, at least... I would told you more, but we are running out of time. It was good to know you, girl.'

Before you respond, he rushes with crossbow in one hand and detonator in another. You nods, helping Avian get up...

She couldn't see what happend later. How old dwarf ran between fighting golems and dwarves. How one of spears hit him in middle of run, but he didn't fell on the ground. How he rushed into tunnel, between bodies of his earthkin, whispering silent prayer.

But she could see how he succeed.

When ground shaked, at first, nothing happend. Tower was still standing, like it always did, in middle of Wizard Ward. Weaver feeled how her heart beats harder and harder in her chest... did they failed? Was it mistake? Should she listen to archmage?

But then, slowly, field around Tower slowly started to disappear, as Tower itself shaked under it's own weight.

And then it feel on the ground, exploding into purple light and swallowing golems and many dwarves, guards and other people. Force of explosion knocked you and your companions on the ground... but you succeed.

Little part two left, will end it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Chapter 4 - Part II

Smoke and ashes swirl in air, after Tower of Great Wizard, relic of old Larnmarn times fall on the ground and shatter into pieces. You see how those golems that wasn't in range of explosion stop moving and fall on the ground... you probably destroyed something that controled them. Few groups of people gather those that didn't died and move dying and hurt people in safer place.

Avian helps you stand up and move to Regreh, trying to wake him up. 'Damn it, Weaver... You really had to knock him out? Help me move him to one of those houses nearby...' he grab Regreh with both of his hands, but hisses when he try to pull him with you.

'You shouldn't even be here with that hand... I wonder if any medic even saw it, but as far as I know you... probably not.' you slowly pull Regreh, together. After a while, you manage to get into small shop. You lock door behind you and look around... it seems that it is alchemist's shop. You reach to one of shelves when... you heard another explosion, much more powerful. You hear how windows on second floor fly out it's frames and hit into walls. Ground shake under your feets, but you don't fall...

'Well, it seems... that it was our anchor.' Avian speak silently after a while. 'I wonder if it will change something... I heard reports before you waked up from your little nap. We have serious problems. Two of them, actually. Those demonic generals managed to get into city and fortified around portal... Now they are tapped there, but they have some forces with them... much more powerful then we have now. Also, they aren't too tired and our forces were fighting for three hours... and we lose some of our commanders. To be honest, I heard that we are still able to hold them only becouse someone else joined fight on our side and made some of those bastards burn into ashes...' he looks at you. 'I wonder who is it...' his gaze stays on you for a bit too long to don't have any meaning.

'Hey, what you mean by that?' you take one of flasks, labeled 'Healing elixir' and give it to Avian. 'Drink, it won't repair your hand, but at least should make pain weaker.'

He take flash and drink from it. He winces when he take first sip, but drinks all of it. 'Damn it, why those damn mixtures can't taste like good beer. Or at least orange juice or something.' he sits next to Regreh, who finally stated to get back to world of living. He moves and mutters. 'We may talk about that later, Weaver.'

Regreh open his eyes and touches his head, groaning. 'Damn it... Why it always must be head... Where we are?'

'Same place, different view... Tower is no more, as most of our forces around... but I assume that when I was sleeping, most of those already moved either to Drunk or to other Wards.' you lean against one of shelves and take your blade from scabbard, examining it. Thanks God, it seems to don't be damaged.

'Right, we left only few squads there, to protect miners... we couldn't predict so many golems. Those fuckers probably made more in secret.' Avian touches his hand and smiles. 'Ah, good. It almost don't hurt anymore.'

'So... what do we do now?' Regreh stands up and take this axe from sheath, leaning on it. 'I assume that we still must take care of those two morons buming around in Drunk Ward?'

'Easy to say...' you think for a moment and decide to inform them about Circle forces getting to city. 'We may have soon have reinforcements from Circle, probably along with few archmages. Now, when we closed their way, we must only keep them inside... Also, we have one of them around, already. In Drunk Ward, right now.'

Regreh looks at you, surpised, while Avian only grins. He probably already add some facts about mysterious figure helping Larnmarn forces.

'Is this...' Regreh coughs. 'That person that I think it is?'

You nods, slowly. He sighs ands smile at same time. After that, he adds:

'I'm both fucking scared and grateful for that he is around there. Well, at least he do a good job.'

Avian either seems to find something interesting on wall or either don't want to ask about anything. You don't blame him. Nobody want to hear something about Circle archmages... less you know, longer you live. You rest for some time, thinking about what what you should do...

Alexander probably could use your help right now, but he may not even be in Citadel anymore... you rather think that he probably moved to Drunk or somewhere around that Ward, to command forces, both attacking and protecting town from wrath of demonic archmages. Kardim is probably with him...

'I think we should move closer to Drunk and try to find either Castor or Alexander... they may use our help in matter of our visitors from another plane.' Both Avian and Regreh agrees that it may be best idea ('If you don't plan to get the hell out of there, after all you did your part of deal' - adds Avian, making both you and Regreh annoyed... you could get out of there before all of this, didn't you? So why you would want to do it now?)

Using tunnels under Wards, you manage to get into one of mercenary camps in Circle Ward. Even there, small groups of either Larns or Guard and Asassins move around, trying to find any wizards or demon forces. They quickly show your way to new command camp.

After you finally get on surface, you see tents, many tents... most of those were moved from Drunk Ward, it seems... front line moves as battlefield changes. Most of new forces are either adventurers that decided to join main forces, either for money or feeling of duty... or maybe something else. You think about Garrik for a few seconds... you wonder if what he did and if he and his squad are still among living.

Avian quickly open way into main command tent, just by saying his name to guards. You get inside, to see few people around table: Falr, with bandage on his head and big scar getting right through his left eye, now hidden under bangages. Castor - his robes look really bad (and by bad you mean burned), but he isn't wounded. Alexander and Karim, both in full armors and with daggers/sword, ready to use those...

And Masked, talking right now.

'Like I said, we don't have time to ask for other help then is already coming, Vanermo.' his voice is harsh, but he seems to have some sort of respect when he address Alexander. 'It is pointless to wait, they will either break through our lines and spread around city or manage to escape from it. I can't afford two unknown archmages running around Known World and trying to either contact their army on another plane or open another portal in next few years, hidden somewhere, if safe place.'

Alexander expression seems to be something between angry and defeated. 'We don't have enough forces to keep them locked there forever. With those two wizards as their backup, they will break free, finally... really, can we wait day or two, before acting other way then protecting ourselves? It should be enough to...'

Masked hand reaches out, almost touching Alexander face. 'No, we can't wait. Listen, I know you are damn experienced, but those two are out of your league. Way out of it, Vanermo. If we don't attack them with what we have now, they will break free and like I said, I don't let it happend. And, by the way, when my reinforcements will get there, we will have a bit of advantage, believe me.'

Both Castor and Falr are whispering to each other and they don't seems to be part of Alexander and Masked talk. Kardim listen to their argument, silently. You slowly get closer and Alexander gestures to you to stay away for now. You nods and sit next to your comrades, while Masked and Alex continue.

'So...' you whisper. 'I seems that we are still alive... in different sharpe then before, but alive.' you smile to Falr and he respond with same thing.

'You bet. While you were playing with wizards, we were doing real job.' Falr chuckles and looks at Castor who also grins now.

Regreh snorted. 'By real job you mean getting your eyes kicked, kid? I think you don't look so good as before... eye is still intact?'

Falr touches his bandages and slowly shakes his head. 'Nope, cut right into it... fucking demon... no offence.' he looks at Castor.

'I don't mind, like I said. Those aren't even true warriors of Empire... probably some mercenaries or savage folk, fooled by Umbra promises... he is famous from fooling lesser races into working for him.' he shurgs and spit on floor. 'At least. he is fucked... locked into lesser plane, without any kind of backup, becouse of his own big ego.'

You can't stop yourself from adding: 'Just like you, Varag?' And then you realize something... you look around, trying to find Regreh...

'Where is Regreh?' you look around, worried... fuck. He didn't knew that Castor is demon... Falr, you fucking moron. Avian looks around and says.

'I think he left few moments ago. I saw him awhile ago, standing a bit far away from us...' he scratches his head.

For two hours, you talk about what happend around and what could happend... you saved Larnmarn. But now, you are with two archmages that want to pretty much kill everyone, including you and escape from city that you serve... for now. It isn't too comforting thought. In meanwhile, Masked finally stop talking with Alexander and disappear somewhere outside tent... as you learn, he sits on roof nearby and look at sky. Alexander and Kardim are bust with commanding of Larnmarn forces around whole town, trying to either get as many people as they can or destroy leftovers of wizard forces, hidding in other Wards.

And after a while, you feel how someone touches your arm, suddenly. You almost jump on that person, but manage to calm yourself. Masked chuckles as he see your reaction.

'Hihi... I think you should calm down... but I'm not there to talk with you, but show something to all of you. Come with me.' you follow him, outside of tent. He suddenly stops and look at sky. You follow his example...

For few first moments, you see nothing... but something seems to appear, bigger and bigger, coming down. After a while, you are able to say that it must be bird... big one, damn big one. Is this one of those legendary gigant eagles that sometimes offer passage for those that are worth it? Eagle slowly get lower and lower, and you can say that he is really big one. Bigger then two horses and cart, at least with opened wings... He finally get on level of rooftops and you manage to see someone sitting on it. Men slowly get up and pats eagle on back, before he... jumps.

'Wait, is this a sword? Pretty big weapon. He use it?' Falr seems to be pretty amazed by size of sword... oh, for fuck sake, it can't be...

Just before he hit ground, man whisper something and slow down... he land with some sort of dignity, like cat. Big, two hand sword leans on his shoulder... it isn't ridiculously big, but still bigger then most of weapons of this kind you ever see. His silver armor seems to be polished as it shines in sun. With red cloak on his back, it looks almost pretty and for some reason, dangerous. On his belt, he have two scabbards, one with long sword and another one with short. His long, dark hair are tied in a ponytail and his face is almost signed - "nobility". He looks at your group and offer you slight bow, with smile.

In meanwhile, eagle lands almost next to him and when it touch ground, it start to transformate... you see how it slowly changes it's sharpe and after a while it finally takes form of older man, with wooden staff and simple robes. Short grey hair and brown eyes... you know him. Both of them.

Masked chuckles when he points at them. 'Lady and gentleman, meet Count Radosk Zabadon and Lysang, calling himself Old Man, archmages of Circle - among many of their titles, I can add one now. Our reinforcements.' small sharpe of grin appear under hood.

"For fuck sake, you old bastard..." you think. "You exactly knew who will come, you fuck... and almost fooled me into getting into deathtrap tower becouse of coming 'Circle forces'... fuck you... and congratulation. It was pretty good."

it take only few hours to ready forces of Larnmarn to finall attack on demons. You look at them, along with Alex and rest of your companions (except Regreh, who still didn't came back), from walls between Drunk and Circle Ward... it will be something good. Finally, someone else will risk his ass. Someone who signed for it.

In meantime, demons also ready their forces, when they see more and more moving soldiers, ready to attack... it will be hard battle. But thanks Gods, it isn't your battle anymore.

Both armies charge on each other, between ruins and hills of bodies! Three main squads of Larnmarns divide and attack from other sides, smashing into enemy...

On south side, demons are slaughtered, slowly, but without any pardon. With help of Count Zabadon, they don't have much problems with slowly getting through barricades of enemy, despite magical storms killing more and more soldiers of Larnmarn.

On east, both sides kill each other in equal shares. There, both demonic forces and Larnmarn dwarves get magical support from archmages on theirs sides... that front line almost don't move, but if demons don't get any help on south, they will be trapped between two forces of enemy. Masked seems to have fun, as you see spells appearing and disappearing between both your and enemy forces.

North front is witness of another Larnmarn victory. With help of Old Man Lysang, transformed into gigantic treelike creature that you manage to see in every detail even here, they kill more and more demons, getting closer and closer to Pulvis and Umbra, hidden behind magical fields and shields.

After first clash, Count forces don't stop even for a moment. They slash their way through demons like they would be trees... finally they manage to get into inner side of demons encampment, getting closer and closer to archmages position.

Both Masked and Lysang forces slow down as demons manage to withstand... Lysang get himself and his forces into trouble, as Umbra/Pulvis send some orbs in ther direction and after few seconds, those orbs explodes into fireballs, fallling everywhere, on your forces and on Lysang... you hear powerful roar of treelike creature, when he try to extinguish flames.

Situation start to look worse with each step closer to demonic archmages. Zabadon himself, as you see through spyglasses, slashes fields surrounding both Umbra and Pulvis and get their attention by this, as his forces start to fight with their elite bodyguards. Battle on this side still is good for you, but on other...

Masked forces get slaughtered and almost stop when one of Umbra spells hit into first lines of them, turning their armors into deadly hot pieces of metal. You try to find Masked among any of his solders, both fighing and dead, but you can't find him. Still, you know that if they don't get any help, soon they will fall back. Lysang forces managed to get some stable ground, but they are still slower then before. Enemy still withstand their attack, but they aren't giving up just yet.

'Look! Count is fighting with archmages!' Falr yells and you turn your eyes on place where fields were standing just few moments ago. It doesn't looks good for any of them, as many soliders stand on thier way... at least to that moment when Count cuts right through few demons and charges at Umbra. You almost swear they you heard scream, when he impales demon on his sword. He pull blade back, just in time to get punched across battefield by bull-like creature, Pulvis.

In meantime, demonic lines finally start to broke. Masked suddenly appears (at least Avian told you so, as you was bust looking at duel between Count, Umbra and Pulvis) and something similar to black ooze slaughter more and more demons on his way to archmages, but he still didn't managed to join it at his time.Lysang, instead, was busy working togther with his soldiers. He killed many of demons himself, shielding his out troops. You won, it was sure, but duel between archmages still was a thing.

(Music to the duel - SUPRISE - you can blame Alicesoft for my idea of song. :lol: I'm sorry, but I was forced to pick that one)

Umbra somehow get himself together and shoot some kind of projectiles right into Count, but he manage to withstand those, charging at bull-man and attacking with series of fast attacks... Count don't use any of his magic, for now. In meanwhile, everyone wise enough to stay alive were either looking or fighting in big distance from place where duel started.

Pulvis try to parry his attack, but that seems just impossible... how the fuck he is even able to move so fast with that sword?! He slashes and don't stop attacking, while Umbra cast another spell. Red runes appear on ground and explode under Count, sending both him and Pulvis into air, where Umbra attack Count with series of small spells. He take all hits and it is more then clear that he is wounded now... but Umbra himself is barely standing, you can see blood on his robes, right in place where Count stabbed him.

Count lands on the ground and almost start running at Umbra, ready to slash him in half, when Pulvis jump right on his way, attacking from above... only to get slashed in his place. You see how blade goes through bull creature chest and comes on other side. Pulvis slowly fall on the ground, while Zabadon charges again!

But Pulvis still attacks, now hitting with several desperate offensive spells and stops Zabadon for another few moments. He falls on the knees, when another one hits him in his shield... Demon slowly come closer and closer, ready to deliver another blow... and this time, some blue orbs appear all around him and shoot right into Zabadon fields. You see how those flash when orb after orb hit into it.

Pulvis get closer and closer, as more projectiles appear around him... some Larnmarn soliders try to stop him, but they quickly die, hit by orbs that almost turn them into ashes... Finally, Pulvis is few steps from Zabadon, ready to strike him down... but Zabadon jumps back and throws his sword right into Pulvis. Suprised demon manage to dodge it only by some micracle, but this isn't the end of it... Zabadon charges with his long and short sword in his hand and despire being hit by orbes, he don't slow down...

Finally, he deliver his blow, cutting right into Pulvis hands... and he cut them off. You almost heard scream of demon when he hit him again, how with hit of his own swords and send him on the ground. Umbra tries to escape from his range, but Zabadon don't stop deliver punch after punch on his face and after a while, he knock him down.

And that was end of duel between archmages from another plane and best swordmaster in Known World.

Demonic forces, after seeing how their generals were both either killed or defeated, went into panic, trying to esacpe, but remaining Larnmarn forces killed all of them, without any mercy... And that was end of siege of Larnmarn. Remaining forces are trying to help either dying or hurt, while their commanders, archmages, take care of Umbra and Pulvis. You hear screams of relief and happiness when Umbra finally fall on the ground. Falr, Castor and even you yells when that happend.

Larnmarn won! Gods sake, Larnmarn siege finally ended.... but it isn't time to rest on one’s laurels. You know that... Alex will be forced to take care about remaining wizards. Council don't exist anymore. Two Wards of town are destroyed. Yes, it will be hard time.

Three days later, wizards still remain in North and Thief wards, locked down, but still withstanding. Mayor of Larnmarn barely, but managed to stay alive, crippled and missing lower jaw. Katarina Cook was captured by assassins, when she tried to escape form town. Alex managed to find proofs that she was, in fact, on wizards side. This is why they were able to attack from Beggar Ward so fast. She was executed next day, on main plaza in middle of Circle Ward. From orginal Council, only three people are still alive: Alex, Mayor and Kardim. What future awaits for city?

Circle archmages decide to don't interfere into matters of city. They claims that their help was their "duty". (at first Masked seems to be interested in getting something, but Count and Lysang persuade him to not do that) Only matter that is important to them seems to be Umbra fate. He is still alive, patched up and locked down into prison locked by archmages magic and under guard of Samer and Masked agents. For a while, they can't decide what to do - each one want to get Umbra for himself as prisoner. (Alexander want to get him and execute him on eyes of Larnmarn people, to rise up morale) After a while, they decide to... give his fate in your hands, not that you asked for it. Masked claims that it is their 'reward' for you, as you closed portal that was danger for entire Known World... damn fucking it. You have weird feeling that Masked may be behind this...

And there is that last one thing...

As it turned out, Regreh was busy helping his own kin with fighting remains of wizard forces in Dwarf Ward. He was more then happy to hear about victory of Larnmarn forces, but something was still not right with him. You tried to find out what he want to do, but you couldn't find anything on him. He still didn't wanted to meet with Castor or even talk about him, so he instead tried to spend his time with either his kin or Falr, helping him with doing his things that Alex ordered him to do, like collecting informations and reports.

And then, another day, you find letter from Castor - Regreh challenged Castor to duel to death, on city walls above Drunk Ward. You rushed right away to fucking calm down those damn morons before they kill each other.

When you arrive, duel already started. They fight on one of empty towers, while bunch of guards watch them. You rush, asking why the fuck they allowed it, but they quickly says that Castor ordered them to let them... fuck. Castor still have commander range. You order them to get some healer there and run into tower. When you reach top of it, you see how the attack each other. Castor have deep cut on his chest, while Regreh lost half of his beard in some kind of flame. He also have some burns on his entire body, but they seems to be serious about this.

'Regreh! Castor! You morons! Stop it, for fuck sake!' you yell, taking out your blade from scabbard, but they don't even turn to you. Finally, Castor yells back.

'Don't get involved, Weaver. If he want to die, he will. I can't let him kill me.' you heard voice of Varagtomn... so this isn't Castor. 'He is danger for both me and that boy.'

'I will kill that demon scum, Weaver. I don't care what you think, but this is older then even you. We are at war with his kin. I like Castor, but if there is no other way then killing him along with that what is inside of his body, I'm forced to do it.' Regreh quickly adds, almost spiting those words. Damn both of them are serious about that idea...

You... what will you do with that? What you can do? Or maybe... it isn't worth it. Those morons do it at their free, own will.

Time to vote...

1. Future of Larnmarn - you (well, not only you, but you did your part there) saved town of Larnmarn and by contact with one of few people that is able to order people in city, you may try to have your own part in changing it for future. Maybe it is worth it to change how it work? Or maybe Council should be rebuilded?

A) You decide to interfere and convince Alex to listen to your idea. Maybe he will listen, maybe he don't, but you always can try:
a) Larnmarn can't work as Council anymore, it need strong leader with group of advisors to let this town back to normal state again. Alexander should became dictator of Larnmarn and lead it, at least for that time they will need him.
b) Council should be rebuilded. Larnmarn worked like that for two hundred years now and it should work like this. This may not be best system, but it worked for long time, until someone decided to betray them. Just don't let it happend again.
c) If somebody should rule this city, they should work in shadows. Alexander should go "underground" and create his own web of tools to rule city without any lead of manipulation. Larnmarn will be free again.
d) It is time for Larnmarn to became nation again. With or without king, they should claim at least part of Free Land and rebuild nation of old Tarum.
e) Larnmarn should be part of nations of Known World again. It is time to finally reunite with everyone... even if it means giving town to Circle hands.
f)Freeform.

B) No, it isn't your thing to decide about this city fate. You already get enough excitement from working there... let people of Larnmarn decide how dices of their fate will roll... on their own.

2. Umbra, The Black Archmage - somehow Umbra was saved from certain death by Circle archmages and locked in safe place... but they can't decide what to do with him. Everyone want to have him for himself and you can understand that - after all, how many things someone like he can know? But thing that you don't like in this is that they somehow decided that you should be person that will decide about Umbra fate...

A) You will give it to one of archmages:
1)Masked
2)Zabadon
3)Lysang
B) If somebody should get him, it is Alexander. If you must choose between Archmages, you prefer to don't choose any of them.
C) If they really give him to you, why don't make use of it? Of course, he is too dangerous to be alive in your hands... but who knows what power you may gain if you devour him?
D) No, thanks you. You aren't tool or pawn in their hands to let them play with you like that. Refuse and get away from this thing while you can.

3. Regreh and Castor - their stupid game turned into dangerous thing. Regreh, driven by old hate of his race, finally break. Varag will protect himself and if he will be forced, he will kill that dwarf... and here you are, standing next to them. What you will do?

A) Attack Regreh. It is enough of this, if he really can't overwhelm prejudices of his own race, he must be stopped. (Warning - THIS MAY MEAN HIS DEATH)
B) Attack Castor. Even if you pity young wizard, you know that creature inside of his body is too dangerous, even if it is only shadow of it's old self. Even if it helped you. (Again, WARNING)
C) You will stop them form doing this foolishness. This must end right now and you will be person that will end it.
1) Try to convince them with words. Why risk anybody lives when you can just talk about it... right? (Still, give me reasons you want to say to them. I can get my own, but those don't exactly may work)
2) You will jump between them and fight until either they will be forced to attack you or give up. This may not be exactly wise or even it may not do it for long, but you may be able to at least stop them killing each other.
3) Freeform choice - if you have any idea how to stop them any other way - feel free to suggest it
D) You will stay right where you are and wait. They are adults and if they want be fools, this is their thing, not yours.

4. Your own business - you must finally decide what to do about Kaizoku and other things. He may not even be in town after what happend, but if you want to have chance, you should act right now... I mean, after you deal with your companion fighting each other to death.

Kaizoku:
A) You will ask Alexander to keep Council word and get Kaizoku to you. After all, you did part of deal, so why he can't do his?
B) You will go to Avian and ask him for support without getting Alexander attention. He is busy enough right now and small squad of assassins should be enough to get Kaizoku alive without much problems.
C) You will go get that little weasel on your own, either with someone help or without it. Enough of wasting time.
D) It will be waste of time. He may not even be in city anymore and you can use your own time better way then this.

Hiri:
A) Right after you will get everything ready, you will follow her traces to find her. For too long you didn't saw her.
B) Ask Alexander to send for someone to find her. You know that she is good at hiding, but prehaps either word or contact of Alexander may get her back there.
C) Hiri is safe and outside of this business - and it is good. It will stay that way. You didn't left her 10 years ago to don't get into trouble with you only to now change it like this.

Wew lads, that was long one. But we are finally here, you saved city of Larnmarn... well not exactly. Still there is political shit around and Alexander may need your help with cleaning that one, but it is up to you. I know it was very... fast paced, but I must say that it was my fault - I can't really can't keep really slow pace, at least not like Fangshi did, but I'm slowly progressing in that way. I hope you like where this is going. Any suggestions about writing chapters? Shorter, slowed paced but with more action or stay with my style? I will be happy to listen.

About rolls: Jesus, many of those. Tower, miners, both first attack of demons and second attack of demons, duel between archmages, convincing Masked (failed there, but you don't exactly had much chances) and a bit more.

Well, it isn't of course even middle of that chapter, but it is end of siege of Larnmarn... but who said that fire must burn in this town only becouse of it?

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
1: B - but open to change with further discussion.
2: C - the Codex loves devour soul. How can we not?
3: D - let the dumb ass men be dumb
4K: A
4H: B

edit
As for your question: more but shorter updates would be my preference.

Nevill

Arcane
Future of Larnmarn - I will leave it undecided for now. It is quite obvious that Alex will have to be a de facto ruler for the next few years (someone has to restore the city), and we won't be there to see what becomes of the city. So while this choice might be the most impactful for the region, it is also the least one for us.

Umbra's fate - I can see that Masked has made us his personal toy for amusement. Well, if you want to ask me, fuck the archmages and their affairs with a dragon-sized spiked dildo. Lysang is pretty much the only person who had been decent with us, and that's only because it was an accidental meeting 250 years ago. Don't get involved in their petty strifes, it's just not worth it crossing one of them in favor of the other. Oh, and seeing how the souls of the devoured still linger inside of us, I do not want to devour an archmage who is by an order of magnitude stronger than we are, not to mention a demon. Thanks but no thanks. He's their problem.

2D.

Regreh and Castor - they aren't in the wilderness where they can do as they please. They are on Alex's turf, and they will behave while in his town - or else. Get the authorities involved. Sick the guards on them and tell them that whoever 'wins' the duel will be put on trial. If there are some of the assassins around - have them stun them.

Then have a talk with Castor and Alex. I believe Castor has done what he came here to do (protected his ass from being stuck on a world invaded by his fellows), and that it is tim,e for him to move. Regreh aside, there is a whole ward of dwarves in the city, and since a significant chunk of victory belongs to them, I believe they would have a major role in shaping the city's future (and they will probably be the ones rebuilding it). If they won't stand for Castor - which Regreh's example is indicative of - then Alex will not be able to keep him around for much longer until they demand his head. It would be better for him just to claim his reward, whatever it is, and leave. If there is no demon around, then there is no reason for Regreh to get agitated.

As for Regreh - it would be easier to talk to him alone. There is plenty to say, including that he and the whole ward owe Castor their lives.

3C. Get the authorities involved.

Kaizoku - yeah, let's get him. As for Hiri... we have pursuers on our tail. Let her know we are alive and connect her to a common contact, but don't go to her personally. Are we a spymaster or not?

4K - A; 4H - B.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Just to correct something - people that you suck up (at least for now) dies and their souls go wherever they are supposed to go. That what may torment you are either their emotions that still lingers inside of you or something that you can call 'leftovers' after their energy. Probably mixed with your psyche current stance (you still feel guilt after death of House - obsession system still works, but I must update it a bit, what I'm doing right now, along with character sheets and reputation informations.

You know, however, that sucking souls is possible, but you must unlock. I think you know to which points it is connected. (number of those points will appear in Weaver sheet) And it is more then obvious that it may have it's consequences.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
And... check sheets, added new informations about reputation, factions and some character points. Also, new skill for Weaver and some fresh feat points.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1.A)c)
2.C)
3.D)
Kaizoku.D)
Hiri:C)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom