Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

asxetos

Augur
Nice. we also got Reggeh's input. I am fine with my A vote.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh. It is a spymaster's job to find that which does not want to be found. This is a fairly reasonable offer.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Votes... closed.

And thus, with this decision, we can finally said that prologue can be closed. Weaver came from her... vacation. It is time for Known World to realize that Spymaster came back. Or rather don't realize that.

Rewards for finishing arc/plot - Summary of most important decisions:
- You escaped from prison and helped Archmage Masked... And impressed him/her/it.
- Your companions from prison escaped with you, but that what happened later make fate of some of them uncertain. Blue Eyes died, Madman was taken by Masked for unknown reason, head hunter and thief escaped together and paladin fate remain unknown.
- Dambarg promised you that he will found you and pay his debt as soon as he will save Silvana... We will see if you can trust his words.
- Blue Eyes death gave you more questions then answers... Maybe you could save him... but you can't change past. "Silver Towers. Alargon failed." those words is everything you have now.
- Fate of wizards that you freed is uncertain... But you know where you can found them if they survived.
- You traveled to Larnmarn, City of Wonders - to find answers and man responsible for your imprisonment. And you found him.
- You contacted your old smuggler contact: Barnaba. Perhaps he will be useful in future.
- You meet Council again and agreed to work with them and Professor Castor... we will see what you can achieve now.

+ 1 Feat point for finishing arc.
+ Two companions: Dwarf Regreh and mysterious demonologist Castor.
+ Reputation with Purple Robes (-100 - enemies), Circle - Masked (+?), Circle - Zabadon (?), Circle - O.M Lysang (?), Council (+45 - Hotter), Larnmarn - factions (+25 - Thieves, Assassins, Guard, Council Mercenaries, Whores/Beggars, Wizards)
+ Companion relationship - Regreh (65 - Friendly), Castor (45 - hotter).
+ Some equipment, safehouse, contact with old 'comrade' from Goban Tar.

End of Prologue.

Act/Arc I - Fires in Larnmarn... started.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
:bro:

I have no fist and I must bro.

Also,
But you know where you can found them if they survived.
Do we? Did I miss any post about these wizards? We kind of freed them and forgot about them.

We were supposed to learn which circle they come from, but we as players never asked. :M

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
1. Wizards locked in cells looked like they really would be trapped there... but what did you do? Do you free them, despite risk of begin caugh while destryoing sigils? But who knows, maybe they get out alive from that hell hole?
Who knows...

You let wizards free for promise of debt and name of their magic circle and school. Also, you gained name of their 'leader' - Balthazar Namostok, professor of Animation Magic, from Dragon Empire.

Ah, heh. I forget Circle name. But this should be enough to found them. Circle name is: Vinis Vera.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
By the way - you can ask any questions to any character now, as between chapters there will be few days of free time where you will get more info and help from Council. Want to talk with anyone from Council, ask Regreh or Castor about something (or confront them about lies...) or have any idea about what do in Larnmarn (like trying to contact Gerrik, looking around, contacting old friends, et cetera)... Feel free to post.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
OK, I slowly finish an introduction to Act 1. It should appear today/tomorrow or during weekend.

Well, a bit of info now - we entered main stage of game. Your character can die now so be careful. Actually, anyone can die now. You will get dangerous job and expect that if you fuck up rolls or make wrong decision... Well, who knows. (I will also finally use more rolls then two in update... Heh)

Also, you will get some persons under your command. They will be part of your party and will be connected to Larnmarn factions. Also, more things - during choices I'm giving you MOST of ways, but not all of them to solve problems. It is always possible to get best outcome from many of situations by simple choice that I give you, but sometimes it is more worth it to make your plan. So yeah, freeform is and will always be an option.

You can always try to get out of Larnmarn if things go south, but know that will have it's consequences. They may deal with their problems alone, but if you escape... Well, they may not be happy bout it.

You may also have questions about companion/world rep system. It work pretty much like Fangshi system. Higher rep - more they like and trust you. But don't think it makes them don't betray you... Under certain circumstances. But that will be rare, if it ever happened. Just be careful with that who you trust.

You also may ask - is it possible to make everyone like me/can I make my enemies my friends/can I use them/can I betray everyone and everything myself. Or - can I go anywhere I want?

Answer - yes. But...
- It would be extremely difficult to make friends with everyone and that would be hard as fuck route. Feel free to try.
- This depends on character, why they became your enemy and what you did to them. There is difference between mercenary that fight against you because he was paid to do it and paladins that do it becouse this of their beliefs.
- Use them... Yes. In many ways. And yes, also THOSE ways.
- Again, yes. I even have name for that route. (Not that I plan routes, those are just basics conditions. I can't plan your game and I don't want to, it is part of Myth/Overlord charm that I try to capture while I also create with my own style) If you make it alive, that is.
Last question - yes, Zinoth is all yours.

Well... Any more questions, ladies and gentlemen?
:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Your character can die now so be careful.
You mean, we couldn't before?

They may deal with their problems alone, but if you escape... Well, they may not be happy bout it.
Why? What do they care if Wev leaves? They won't have to deal with one of their Lords and they won't have to part with 15K gold. Why don't they just say 'good riddance'?

Well... Any more questions, ladies and gentlemen?
1) A sitrep on the demonic incursion would be nice, now that we've agreed to sort it out.

Anything the public doesn't know, but the Council does. Any patterns to portal locations? What are the demons, what types are there, how does one combat them? What is done to contain the threat?

2) Were any atttempts made to follow the demons through the portals instead? I know, it's suicidal, but still.

3) How big of an incursion we are talking about each time? Why not turn the whole Ward into one giant deathtrap? It's not like anyone still lives there... right?

4) To Castor - how does anchoring work? What are we looking for, exactly - is it a person, or is it an item? What if the anchor is moved to another place? Why do the portals open only in one Ward, does it indicate the anchor is there? Is there anything to mess with the navigational aspect (like noise generation for radars, to throw the aiming off). Are there any leads that allow to trace the anchor? Something that interferes with or reacts to its presence?

5) Does he know any other prominent demonologists and their current whereabouts?

6) Is it possible to redirect the anchor to another plane (like, to the Void or somewhere else)?

To GM - does the Council know about the Purple Robes? Did Castor tell them anything about where he had been for a year?

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
You mean, we couldn't before?
Yes, you couldn't. I remember that I wrote something about it before - Prologue was kind of introduction and I didn't wanted to kill your character so early. However, she still could be wounded. Now, everything is normal and you can die.

Why? What do they care if Wev leaves? They won't have to deal with one of their Lords and they won't have to part with 15K gold. Why don't they just say 'good riddance'?

It isn't about if she leaves but rather - when, why and how he leaves. They rather would not care if Weaver will leave when things will get really bad (becouse they will have more important thing to do, like evacuation of entire city). But it would be nice to warn them about that you want to leave before you escape or they may think you fooled them or something worse.

Also, who do you mean by 'Lords', by the way.

1) A sitrep on the demonic incursion would be nice, now that we've agreed to sort it out.

Anything the public doesn't know, but the Council does. Any patterns to teleport locations? What are the demons, what types are there, how does one combat them? What is done to contain the threat?

There is only one teleport location so far, in Drunk. Demons are... Well they are demons. On Zinoth anyone coming from other plane is called demon. It is just their way of saying aliens, but rather from other dimension then from space. About anything else, they have their people for things like that and they will contact you as soon as possible (by that I mean "When I will get on my PC" to write it... Phone hurts my eyes.) Also, Castor says that he will try to recognize those demons as soon as he will see those.

So far, they ordered to close Drunk, set military camp there and protect other parts of town. Also they searched whole town, trying to find other portals or anything connected to demons... But they didn't found anything.

2) Were any atttempts made to follow the demons through the portals instead? I know, it's suicidal, but still.

Some groups of mercs tried to follow retreating demons, but portal either closes just after those groups enter it. Or they came back in pieces, mostly still alive pieces... No one from those that enter those portals manage to live more then few hours. Wounds are too serious to save them.

3) How big of an incursion we are talking about each time? Why not turn the whole Ward into one giant deathtrap? It's not like anyone still lives there... right?

Like I said before - those attack have two phrases - first little squad attack and later bigger group of warriors that splits to two groups. Bigger attack main line of defense, other always try to get away from Ward... So far they killed all demons that tried to get away... Probably.

Oh. It is one gigant deathtrap now, filled with traps, guards and soliders all around it. Assassins patrol whole Ward almost all time.

4) To Castor - how does anchoring work? What are we looking for, exactly - is it a person, or is it an item? What if the anchor is moved to another place? Why do the portals open only in one Ward, does it indicate the anchor is there? Is there anything to mess with the navigational aspect (like noise generation for radars, to throw the aiming off). Are there any leads that allow to trace the anchor? Something that interferes with or reacts to its presence?

Will answer those later, on PC. It will be long response.

5) Does he know any other prominent demonologists and their current whereabouts?

Nope, not any that he know about. But most of time they travel, becouse this is safest way to stay alive as one. And even if there were any, they probably get fuck away from there after first attack.

6) Is it possible to redirect the anchor to another plane (like, to the Void or somewhere else)?

Depends. You would be ether forced to travel into demon portal or find anchor/s and try manipulate those. Castor think he could do it, but first we need to found those.

To GM - does the Council know about the Purple Robes? Did Castor tell them anything about where he had been for a year?

Heh, heh, heh. Not so fast, my friend. Not direct answers, remember? I can't give you any informations that your char can't know (or I cant give you as GM, becouse it could spoil plots) Buuuut... Council send someone to check explosion area, you can be sure of it. Also Circle. Who knows what they found.

Ask Castor, not me. I couldn't hear becouse of those doors.:smug:

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, my mistake for assuming we are privy to all of Castor's knowledge.

Ask him if they asked any questions about his whereabouts for the last few months, and what he told them.

How did they know of the explosion? It is quite far away, there shouldn't be any sounds.

Also, we told them that Masked is alive, but did we say anything else?

There is only one teleport location so far, in Drunk.
If it's the same place, why not encase it in granite/molten lava/whatever so that nothing that tries to exit survives?

If the location keeps shifting, which is what I think is happening, then is there any pattern? A maximum radius? Any rule at all?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Eh, my mistake for assuming we are privy to all of Castor's knowledge.

Heh. That he is part of your party don't mean that you control him, Nev. Weaver is your only 'tool' in meaning of control.

Ask him if they asked any questions about his whereabouts for the last few months, and what he told them.

Yes, they asked. He told them that he was trapped in Ravenhord, about that he managed to escape during battle and about that he came to town with you, as they know. He tried to hide as much as he could about you, Masked and other details, but he was forced to tell them that he saw him and later escaped. Also, he told them that you and Reg escaped with him.

How did they know of the explosion? It is quite far away, there shouldn't be any sounds.

You have knowledge enough about Council forces in old Tarum area to know somebody probably was in radius of it. Also, explosion iself was quite visible in large area. It was large enough to destroy large fortress and left crater big enough to bury large army inside of it.

Also, we told them that Masked is alive, but did we say anything else?

That he is alive and free. Nothing else, but they asked for more details.

There is only one teleport location so far, in Drunk.
If it's the same place, why not encase it in granite/molten lava/whatever so that nothing that tries to exit survives?

If the location keeps shifting, which is what I think is happening, then is there any pattern? A maximum radius? Any rule at all?

Oh, they tried that. Anything that is closer then 20 feet from portal is almost immediately handled with very, very hot temperature spells from other site, later cooling spell and then crushed and used as shrapnels.

Wizards of course tried to stop demon magic users, but they learned very fast that they either are dealing with archmages or very large group of wizards working together... And, thanks Gods, range of their spells is limited to that are of portal. And probably simple spells.

Oh, and about Lords - I figured out you mean Kaizoku. Answer is simple - he is
expendable pawn, like many people in Larnmarn. They don't care about him at all... They just want you to pay for easy access to him. And you will get more then fair payment if they want to keep that deal.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, they tried that. Anything that is closer then 20 feet from portal is almost immediately handled with very, very hot temperature spells from other site, later cooling spell and then crushed and used as shrapnels.
Well, ok. I wonder, though, what about building a dam and flooding the Ward? Can demons breath under water? :M

I guess it is time to put our experience as a spy and a field agent to work. Work with the Council to hire an agent network (maybe even contact the guys we've met and told them to not sign up for demon fighting duty - though their value as spies is questionable), then infiltrate the Ward. Maybe even try and take measurements during the invasion itself, searching for energy surges or any other anomalies that would help determine the location of the anchor. We will need to establish ways to get out of the Ward fast, first. Preferably multiple ones.

It would also be interesting if our rings of True Seeing can't help us see something related to the threat. This needs to be discussed with Castor and best kept secret from the Council, though.

Or they came back in pieces, mostly still alive pieces...
If the pieces were still alive, do we know what's on the other side? :M

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron

Anachoring is very, very complicated ritual that connect two planes in one point, creating not portal, but Gate. While between normal planes travel is pretty much simple and easy (have enough power and know right spells), there are also planes like Zinoth. Hidden behind Veil, protecting it from Void, it also have Tear now. While Veil/Voal itself also pretty much prevents from traveling with portals on Zinoth itself, it also block most of teleportations from outside, other planes. Also, there is other form of traveling, called 'Astraling'. Astral is only plane that connect with all of other planes and make traveling between them even easier, but you don't want to get into this plane unprepated, believe me. Soul shattering monsters, bodies of beings so old that their names were forgotten, pure chaos and law floating around as essence and changing everyone that touches it. Also, you float there all time... and if you lose your focus, you may fall into mist below, falling forever.

While it would be possible to travel on Zinoth by Astraling, we have another big problem - Tear. You see, Astral changes with each world. It never look same in two other places. It changes with planes. In Astral part of Zinoth, you have gigantic black hole, sucking you into it. Get into it - you get into void. Goodbye. Finito. Over. (By the way, Castor face changes, when he talk about Astral Zinoth... looks a bit painful and angry) This is why demons still didn't get there. They probably managed to transport some of thier powerful wizards onto it, becouse it isn't impossible - it is just fucking hard to do it. But entire army? No way. This is also probably how they get anchors on this plane.

Anchors are items. How it look? Well, to say it simple way - like little candelabrum, but instead of candles, it have something else. Probably crystals, purple crystals - most stable anchor material. Floating above it.

While activated, it can't be moved or one of two of those things happend - portal closses/it explodes. And you don't want to be in range of that explosion, believe me. Well, it also happend when you damage crystals, but this way it take around minute or two to blow up. Like a kind of timer.

Portal open in one Ward for simple reason - they aimed it there, by either luck or bad luck. It is hard enough to aim where portal should appear on normal worlds... and we have hard case there. If they would want to open it in other ward, they would be forced to aim again and this may be long, long thing to do. Castor things that aiming on Zinoth itself, not Void next to it would took... 20 years? Maybe less if they have another anchors ready. Well, anchors can't be too far from portal, but it is more then sure that those aren't activated yet. While they still try to correct their anchors, it may be anywere in inner city range, but probably in other points. Castor think that there is more then one anchor and is sure that they placed them in other places. Also, one must be somewhere high to send signals to other ones... maybe some tower?

When still not active, there is no way to find anchors by other then normal means. When they test it, it is possible to feel some disturbing moving in magical fields, but it is rather too small to focus on it, but it is possible to tell how strong it was. Stronger - you are closer to it. He will ask wizards about those things.

Leads - probably. He will look at it, ask around, try to find some sects that may help demons. Every information will be good.

There are simple spells that will let you know if you are near it, but you must be really, really close. Well, or you can get one of those crystals and hit it a bit, it make every other crystal vibrate and make sound/magical signals. But Castor suggest to rather don't hit those and probably you would never find something like this in other place then anchor.

Well, ok. I wonder, though, what about building a dam and flooding the Ward? Can demons breath under water? :M

Actually, this is pretty cool plan, but it have big, big problems inside of it. a) - You would be forced to transport water above laaarge city walls becouse it isn't exacly on water level. It is around 20 meters below, along with tunnels under city. b) Opening portal would probably drain water fast... Castor says that they are on some neutral, empty world, probably flat and full of sand and yes, it would slow them for some time, but they would deal with it, eventually. Either by letting whole water into portal (or entire Lake if you somehow connect it with Drunk 'lake') or by callling units that can swim without problems. Or by just getting angry and impatient and sending whole squad of wizards along with normal units and make them create air pockets and then dealing with city walls.

I guess it is time to put our experience as a spy and a field agent to work. Work with the Council to hire an agent network (maybe even contact the guys we've met and told them to not sign up for demon fighting duty - though their value as spies is questionable), then infiltrate the Ward. Maybe even try and take measurements during the invasion itself, searching for energy surges or any other anomalies that would help determine the location of the anchor. We will need to establish ways to get out of the Ward fast, first. Preferably multiple ones.

It would also be interesting if our rings of True Seeing can't help us see something related to the threat. This needs to be discussed with Castor and best kept secret from the Council, though.

Or they came back in pieces, mostly still alive pieces...
If the pieces were still alive, do we know what's on the other side? :M

Actually, yes. Demons. A lot of demons. Big, small, looking like humans or like something you couldn't even imagine. Tents and camps each way you look. And in the middle, other side of portal.

Also, Castor says that he probably even know who is commanding those hordes. 23th Army of Garmako. Generals Umbra and Pulvis, serving under Lord Corvus. Part of great empire, existing for thousands of years and ruling more then 20 000 planes. How the hells he knows that? Well, he only shrugs and with smile responds 'Later, Weaver. Later.'

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, Castor says that he probably even know who is commanding those hordes. 23th Army of Garmako. Generals Umbra and Pulvis, serving under Lord Corvus.
What's their MO? They've been fighting this battle for a few months now. Why didn't they escalate matters already? Are they thinking to exhaust us?

Is this a problem that can also be solved by taking out their leadership, or are they easily replaceable?

Also, generals 'Ash' and 'Shadow'? Are we in the middle of a Kreegan invasion? :lol:

xeron.jpg

So, if aiming the anchors is hard, is it possible to confuse the aim, opening the portal into the Void instead. Disrupting should be easier, no? Would be funny if their 23th army got sucked in.

I take it that burying the Ward under a ton of rock - making an artificial mountain out of it - is not feasible, either? I am talking worst-case scenarios here, of course.

Did the Council ever think to turn to the Circle? I imagine they are not too interested in joining the other 20000 planets. There should be a contingency plan if our intervention fails.

Ask the Castor about our rings and their potential to find the anchors. Does this need a vote?

How do you find the anchors when they are active? It would make sense to pre-install equipment that can determine an anchor's proximity on the highest points of the town, in hopes to find out who does this:
Castor think that there is more then one anchor and is sure that they placed them in other places. Also, one must be somewhere high to send signals to other ones... maybe some tower?
In full secrecy, of course.

Edit: is there any way to detect demons? They must have sneaked some of their mages in. I wonder if those can be traced - either with Council means, or with the rings.

By the way, why didn't the rings detect Castor's true identity under the illusions? Did we never put them on?

Now that the Council obliges us with free food and energy drinks, there is no reason not to make full use of them.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Also, Castor says that he probably even know who is commanding those hordes. 23th Army of Garmako. Generals Umbra and Pulvis, serving under Lord Corvus.
What's their MO? They've been fighting this battle for a few months now. Why didn't they escalate matters already? Are they thinking to exhaust us?

Modus operandi? Well, to put it into simple things - Castor don't think it is official expedition. Probably one of one private matters of either Umbra or Pulvis or... well, if you are unlucky, it may be even Corvus. This is probably their matter and army is there for it. Why? Well, they can wait. Probably they have free time or something like this. One army isn't that important for main forces of Garmako.

Is this a problem that can also be solved by taking out their leadership, or are they easily replaceable?

If you would do that, it would solve your problems yes. But it would either make Umbra and Pulvis angry (or if they are around - dead). Or maybe it is even Corvus himself that want to get new, interesting world to his part of Garmako. Either way - you are screwed even if you try to kill any of them. TRY is key word there. Those aren't people that managed to live more then few thousand years in biggest country of whole known space of entire Multiverse just by that they are pretty. And if you want to know why any of those people aren't on this side of portal yet - they aren't stupid, they don't have time for this or they still arent impatient enough.

Also, generals 'Ash' and 'Shadow'? Are we in the middle of a Kreegan invasion? :lol:

... Maybe. :roll:

xeron.jpg

So, if aiming the anchors is hard, is it possible to confuse the aim, opening the portal into the Void instead. Disrupting should be easier, no? Would be funny if their 23th army got sucked in.

Possible, but probably... impossible. For you, at least. You would be forced to go into portal, change direction of portal on the other side and then manage to escape from 'got sucked it' like you said.

I take it that burying the Ward under a ton of rock - making an artificial mountain out of it - is not feasible, either? I am talking worst-case scenarios here, of course.

I mean, it would stop them for some time. Until either Umbra or Corvus would finally go impatient and get there with his real forces. It would take much time to gather those, but he would finally do it. And then, Zinoth probably would be fucked.

Did the Council ever think to turn to the Circle? I imagine they are not too interested in joining the other 20000 planets. There should be a contingency plan if our intervention fails.

Circle probably observe situation whole time and they know about shitload of agents in Larmarn that are waiting for any sign of shit getting bad for whole Known World. Then they will act, with or without permission. Why they didn't asked yet? Well, it still isn't that bad. They probably don't even know what Castor do, at least he says that... maybe except Masked, but he may not be interested in helping Larnmarn right now. But he probably shared his knowledge stolen from

Ask the Castor about our rings and their potential to find the anchors. Does this need a vote?

Those may help, he don't know how strong those are. But you may use those. No, at least not now. Update will appear soon and there will be option of that.

How do you find the anchors when they are active? It would make sense to pre-install equipment that can determine its proximity on the highest points of the town, in hopes to determine who does this:
Castor think that there is more then one anchor and is sure that they placed them in other places. Also, one must be somewhere high to send signals to other ones... maybe some tower?
In full secrecy, of course.

Very simple, when those are active, portal opens and they emite powerful magicial fields, powerful enough to find those. But those are probably protected even now. Well, I would rather send some people to investigate those points, but some equipment that detect magical field can help. I mean, anchors are protected, not fields.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I would rather send some people to investigate those points
When still not active, there is no way to find anchors by other then normal means.
The anchors are silent when they aren't active. What can we find if there are no clues? Where would we even start the search?

The idea is to install the equipment to point us to the 'points of interest'. The anchors can't be moved when they are active. We will have to wait until the next invasion/activation before we start the second phase of our plan. Once the portal closes, the locations we detected will need to be hit hard and fast before the mages relocate/evacuate the anchor - and they would probably fall without external support.

I don't think we can attack during the invasion itself - not only because of all the demons, but also out of fear of the explosion.

That's just one way of doing things, of course if there is any way to get to the mages before they activate the portal one more time, it would be ideal.

By the way, does Castor have any idea why the portal closes precisely at dawn? Is there something during the day that makes it hard to maintain a connection?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, who is in the Council? Are its members public figures?

Is there a way to ensure that no information is leaking out to the enemy agents? Who do we speak about such things?

It's the first thing that needs to be done before coming up with any plans. Doubly so for a spymaster.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Well, I would rather send some people to investigate those points
When still not active, there is no way to find anchors by other then normal means.
The anchors are silent when they aren't active. What can we find if there are no clues? Where would we even start the search?

Well, Castor would suggest Wizard towers or anything else that is above most of buildings in Larnmarn. Well, maybe no clues, but maybe on of anchors itself, during time when portal will be opened.

The idea is to install the equipment to point us to the 'points of interest'. The anchors can't be moved when they are active. We will have to wait until the next invasion/activation before we start the second phase of our plan. Once the portal closes, the locations we detected will need to be hit hard and fast before the mages relocate/evacuate the anchor - and they would probably fall without external support.

It depends what you mean by equipment. Some wizards placed on some towers probably could detect some fields during invasion, but it may not exacly be very precise thing. Also, enemy wizards may create their own fields, just in case that somebody can observe them, so they wouldn't be able to detect anchor itself, but only them. Also, if any anchor is in Wizard Ward, it may be a problem, as it magical field is always active as fuck. Perfect location to place anchor there.

I don't think we can attack during the invasion itself - not only because of all the demons, but also out of fear of the explosion.

Well, during main attack, you would know where find all anchors, but it would also mean that they will have unlimited access to Zinoth. Council army probably will get Circle support then and they will be able to protect city for some time. But it is up to you if you want to try that.

That's just one way of doing things, of course if there is any way to get to the mages before they activate the portal one more time, it would be ideal.

By the way, does Castor have any idea why the portal closes precisely at dawn? Is there something during the day that makes it hard to maintain a connection?

Probably it is something connected to problems on their side. Maybe something happends on theirs site of portal during dawn on Zinoth and it force them to close it? Who knows.

Also, who is in the Council? Are its members public figures?

*Pokes Nev in face and points at Larnmarn Guide*

Is there a way to ensure that no information is leaking out to the enemy agents? Who do we speak about such things?

Everyone that know about your operations and every details are either Council or their most trusted people. You may try to do it or your own or suggest it to Council, but be careful with that. They may not exacly be happy about anyone accusing one of either them or anyone else close to it as enemy spy. But it is possible. I suggest speak to either Alexander or Castor, if you prefer your own work or to whole Council if you want thing to get offical.

It's the first thing that needs to be done before coming up with any plans. Doubly so for a spymaster.

Jester

Arbiter
Did any cults, or other new movements started before this mess?
Were there any changes in pecking order of city?
What material is needed to build anchor? Anything special? We might be able to track it by that.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, during main attack, you would know where find all anchors, but it would also mean that they will have unlimited access to Zinoth. Council army probably will get Circle support then and they will be able to protect city for some time. But it is up to you if you want to try that.
Sorry, I did not understand that. What is the main attack? Are you talking about the time when the mages will complete their calculations?

My understanding is that they have managed to place one or a few anchors to open a temporary portal. If we get that out of the way, shouldn't it solve the problem, making the invaders start anew? Or do we need to remove each and every anchor in existence (and the mages with them)?

Also, enemy wizards may create their own fields, just in case that somebody can observe them, so they wouldn't be able to detect anchor itself, but only them. Also, if any anchor is in Wizard Ward, it may be a problem, as it magical field is always active as fuck. Perfect location to place anchor there.
So what you are saying is that we can't single out the anchor's magical field? There are no unique traits signifying those?

Or did the Council simply not know what to look for before they had Castor falling into their hands?

They may not exacly be happy about anyone accusing one of either them or anyone else close to it as enemy spy.
One of the plot point of MMVI and their demonic invasion revolves around the demons subverting a Council member, Slicker Silvertongue, to their religion. :M

It is a necessary precaution.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Did any cults, or other new movements started before this mess?
Nope, nothing new. At least not something open or anything like that. Council try to check things like that, but they can't check everyone.

Were there any changes in pecking order of city?

Nothing except some wars between smugglers in Outskirts.

What material is needed to build anchor? Anything special? We might be able to track it by that.

They probably get anchors with themselfs when they get on Zinoth. But you need - some magic infused wood, element from plane that should be anchored to portal and mateiral to acumulate magic power around element - mostly purple crystals, becouse those are best.

Sorry, I did not understand that. What is the main attack? Are you talking about the time when the mages will complete their calculations?

Yep, I'm talking about time when they will make portal stable and attack Zinoth.

My understanding is that they have managed to place one or a few anchors to open a temporary portal. If we get that out of the way, shouldn't it solve the problem, making the invaders start anew? Or do we need to remove each and every anchor in existence (and the mages with them)?

Your understanding is correct. And yes, if you manage to destroy those anchors that are set correctly and make them open temporary portal, their plan will get fucked up for years. They will be forced to aim at Zinoth again without that one anchor. And they can't afford so much, they have their duty as army, after all. One year or two, well, great, but more? Nope. At least Castor says that.

Well, if you remove all anchors it will be only help for you, they will be forced to get more by astral and it also can take years. Demon wizards aren't important, they can't do shit without anchors.

So what you are saying is that we can't single out the anchor's magical field? There are no unique traits signifying those?

Yeah, it is main problem. Well, there are some things that make you wonder, but nothing really exceptional to make solid lead. But if you will be careful enough, you may find some small differences between fields, outside of Wizard Ward. Inside of it, is would be impossible without either archmage or telling wizards to dispell everything in Ward.

Or did the Council simply not know what to look for before they had Castor falling into their hands?

Council don't tell you, but Castor admits that they were probably forced to do it, at least he thinks so after his conversation with them. They were really deperated to find anyone that could do something about it. On Zinoth, almost nobody know anything about traveling between planes, mostly becouse it was and is impossible without help from outside of it.

They may not exacly be happy about anyone accusing one of either them or anyone else close to it as enemy spy.
One of the plot point of MMVI and their demonic invasion revolves around the demons subverting a Council member, Slicker Silvertongue, to their religion. :M

It is a necessary precaution.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Interlude 2
Star on night sky

You look at Castor and Council, at shadow figures and visible people, awaiting your decision. You know that many things depends on words you will say in a moment... your head work like silent dwarf clockwork. Tick, tack. Thinking about every possible outcome of that contract, you finally decide.

Looking at them, you open your hands, bowing slowly, with grin on your face. Like he always did.

'My dear Council, you just made a deal.' still smiling, you turn your eyes on Castor. He also grins and make an slight nod. You see
relief on Katarina face, Kardim only rubs his chin, Alexander have poker face and finally, mayor Raggins pats his stomach with pleasure. Shadows only move, but you hear some sighs and satisfied whispers between those.

'Good.' finally, one of shadows speaks. 'Then we have a deal. You are free to go now, but we must keep profesor around for a while. Our people will contact you soon.' you hear silent sound of little bell and door behind you open again. You nods to Council and Castor and walk away.

Regreh sits on bench near doors, muttering something to himself. As he stroke his beard, you slowly come near him and cough. He jumps on bench, almost breaking it under his weigh. Cracking sound make even guards near door look at both of you, with suprise. One of them shakes his head.

'So... what you decided?' he glances at you, still stroking his beard. It is easy to say that he is either angry or nervous and you don't blame him. Not everybody get Council 'invitation' and it isn't exacly thing that make people happy, especially when you actually try to hide from attention. But it is their city and you didn't had any choice.

'We work for Council now. Our goal - get rid of something called anchors... I mean... uh. How to say it. We must help Castor with thing he order us to do. This is everything.' you shrughs. Nothing new in your job... maybe except demons. Yes, it is a new thing... well, you always can get the hell away from there when things will look bad. You are even sure that Council would not mind that at all... they will have more important things to do. 'Well, it seems that we can get back to home... I wonder if...' you sits on bench, but Talking Man came out of corridor that you came from, gesturing to you. As he come closer, you see his smile.

'I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't knew who you are. If I would have that knowledge, I would inform you about my employers reasons. I hope that it won't have impact on our relationship during our cooperation.' he made an slight bow, probably as some sort of apology.

'No, I don't mind. I understand that you had your orders... I know how people like you work. Experience, you could say.' yes, experience. You remember people like him, in past. He is someone that some people could call "majordomo" if Council would ever had anything like that. Man that everyone trust enough to do their orders when they are together in that room. One of few people that probably sometimes have access to their discussions. He and those guards around you are most trusted people in that town. And you are pretty sure that they would kill you without any moment of regret if Council would say anything about that... not that you would ever make yourself get into situation like that.

'Ah, good. I will now escort you back to your home, if you don't mind... professor Castor must stay for with us for a while. Oh, Gods, I almost forget... I'm Gartiro.' he again offers you slight bow. 'I know that you are called by many names, ma'am Weaver... but who is your companion?'

Regreh offers him a nod as he respond. 'I'm Regreh Mertelsson, son of Mertel.'

'Pleasure to meet you, sir.' another bow... an simple gesture, habit or maybe his way of showing respect? Who knows.

Almost 30 minutes later, you are back in last floor, in building next to Library. At your safehouse. Little squad of Bloody Larns that escorted you back to your home says little goodbye. You also see two of them, guarding door to your safehouse. They nods to you with respect and walk away... finally, you close door behind you. And then you search every room.

'What the hells are you doing, girl?' Regreh looks like at you like he would look at some kind of weirdo... again, you don't blame him.

'Searching for any sort of listening or observing device... they could leave this kind of thing here. I would do same.' you search for some more time, but you find nothing. Well, they either didn't did that or it is hidden so well that you can't find it on our own. Tired, you lies on sofa, as Regreh get to kitchen part and start to cook something, without any question.

'So... about this Council... you know any of them?' he cuts onions, meat and some potatoes to make another disk... probably some sort of fricassee. 'Damn those onions...' he rubs his eyes with wrists, still cutting.

'I either heard or meet some of them... I mean, those that say they are part of it in public. That woman, with elf ears... she is Katarina Cook, leader of Whores. Pretty fine woman, for my taste. ' you heard giggle and fast added. 'I mean, in my taste of working with her! Damn you... I mean, she isn't that bad, actually, she is pretty nice.'

'You are into woman? I didn't knew.' he giggles again.

'Wait, no! I mean... I don't mind woman or man, but I really don't feel attached to people like that.' you sighs as Regreh still giggles. Damn this dwarf, really. So immature sometimes...

'So wait, you are still an virgin then? But you have a daughter, right?' you almost choke with your own saliva.

'Wait, I didn't said THAT. I mean, yes, Hiri is my daughter, but she is adopted. I can't have any child... something connected to my... condition. And I'm not damn virgin, you pervert dwarf.' you shakes your head as Regreh put onion and meat into pot and pour some water into it.

'Oh... I didn't know... I'm sorry, girl.' his voice changes... a bit sad tone. Probably thinks that he offended you, but you only shrugh.

'I don't mind that, Reg, really. I don't had time for a kids anyway, except Hiri... but she was... other kind of child. I told you how I met her, right?'

'Yep, you mentioned it. On streets, trying to pickpocket you... you took her and trained as... well, spy? Spymaster? I don't know how to say it.' he shrugs.

'Let's just say that she knows what I know.' you prefer to not to talk about training Hiri... it was hard part of your life. Almost as your training...

'By the way. Why you did that? I mean, you could took any child and train it. Why her? Why you even wanted to train any kid?' he looks at you, stirting liquid in pot with large, wooden spoon.

'You know, I think it was... well, it was something in way she was looking at me. How desperate, but also stubborn she was. It was that kind of fire in look that you see only in eyes of people that have nothing to lose...' and I know something about that - you add in your own thoughts.

'Yeah, but why you took kid? There are many older people that could be better in this.' Regreh keep asking questions. Well, can't blame him... you did same with him when you were locked.

'It isn't about that she was kid... I mean, that was important. But I manage to live to this day thanks to person did same to me.' you smile to your memories... both dark and bright.

'Care to tell this story? I would like to hear it, seems to be interesting.' he looks at you with standard dwarf "discoverer" look in his eyes. You sighs, thinking...

'Well... Not whole story, it would take few days to tell all of it... but some? Why not, but you will owe me your part of YOUR story, all right?' you stretchs on a sofa, yawning.

'Fine.' he nods and looks into pot. 'We must wait for our dinner anyway...'

'So, it started long ago... two hundred years, almost, to be precise... I was just after "waking up" from my mindless stance, after Tear happend. It was almost...'

***​
Four years.

Four years of empty, broken mind. Four years of darkness without any sort of memory about anything. Time when my body was fighting with that I was broken. With lack of my soul. But I managed to make it. I was lucky, some could say. Those people that were less luck, are now either dead for long time or are mindless beasts on Void Wastelands, fighing with Guardians and sucking anything that have any kind of live force that they can feast on.

But it isn't story about those poor folk. I was broken, as my soul was still new in this body... well, not soul. Substitue for it, that body and mind created from shards of old Rega memories. Will of life so strong that it managed to create another soul for a body, amazing isn't it? Well, many people didn't found it amazing. Rather scary as hells. I was hungry, in both ways. Sucking out some people that sometimes tried to kill me, sometimes luring them into beds with me... I didn't wanted to harm anyone, so I sucked only a bit of their live force. I was starving often. I also needed normal food... but only becouse it was natural for me. I didn't need it in other mean then of my own sanity. I felt hunger and my stomach grumbling, but now I know it was only my mind.

It was hell. I took more beatings and rape attemps then I remember... I maybe don't remember most of those. Sometimes... they succeed... sometimes not. Live isn't pretty, is it? But I couldn't do anything about it. I was wandering around, form town to town, from village to village, trying to just make it. To see another sunrise.

And one time, I don't even remember when... I tried to steal some bread from man, in middle of town that name I don't even remember... Just run for it. I remember it was empty alley and he was one of a few persons walking around. Twilight already came. He was... weird, but then I didn't even saw that. I was too busy staying on edge of sanity. I grabed bread from his own hands and tried to make run for it! But... I felt how his hand closed on my wrist. He was high, but he didn't looked like he was strong... rather weak and a bit old, with grey beard under his hood.

I still remember how fast he moved, throwed me into air and hit road with my body so hard that I broke my two ribs. I remember how looked at me when I was lying there, gasping in pain. And I remember his first words that he ever spoke to me. He crouched, looking at my face, but he was a bit far away, so I couldn't touch him. He was looking in my eyes.

'Do you want this?' he pointed on bread in his other hand. I nodded, still in pain. He looked at my hands and reach it to me... but it still was too far away. I tried to crawl closer, but when I reached bread, he moved faster then I could even get with my full speed, don't even mentioning crawling on road, in middle of some dirty alley.

'If you want to steal, at least do it right. You can't even reach it when I give it to you... why you are so slow?' he looked at his hand and reached to me again. And I crawled to him, but I was too slow again. And again. And again... Gods, it probably looked so hilarious... girl with dirty, teared clothes, crawling and old man, walking around in circles in middle of some dingy alley.

Finally, I felt anger. It was first time for... long, long while that I felt that emotion. I screamed, but with my dry throat back then, I probably heard like an some kind of frog. I rised on my legs and rushed at him, despite pain. He was just standing there, like he would looking at some sort of funny, little animal trying to bite it without any teeth... damn, my face still hurt. He knocked me out with two simple punches.

I woke up in room and I almost shat myself. I swear, Regreh, I was scarred that I was kidnapped by some sort of slaver or souteneur. Damn it, but I was too weak too even run away... I could just look around. Simple, clean room, like in any little in in any town from there to Dane Pass. I tried to move, but I realized that I had no clothes on me... I also was clean, first time for long, long while... I almost cried from both fear and happiness. I was lying there for Gods know how long, when he came though only door. He looked at me, but only that. Moving around, he was placing some things from his bag on his table. I was observing him for whole time. Finally, he took an dagger, from some sort of pocket in his cloak. I tried to move, as he slowly get next to me and placed it on my throat. He grabbed my hand and placed it on his wrist.

'Feed.' he said, with peremptory tone of voice. I looked at him, dumbstrucked. His grip on dagger became a bit stronger as he repeated. 'Feed on me. Until I order you to stop.' I did what he ask, sucking his live force, for long, long time... at least for me, it was pretty long. I didn't wanted to hurt him, so I stopped... again, I felt pressure on my throat.

'Did I ordered you to stop?' I didn't responded... but did as he said. I was sucking and sucking... until he became pale and said it. Another pressure of dagger on my throat. 'Enough.' He rised from chair and slowly get to his bag on table, drinking some potion form it. He wasn't so pale anymore, but he still was weak. He took an pipe from his pocket and started to smoke. I couldn't even say anything... but he also was silent. He didn't even looked at me. For long time, he was just... sitting there. Smoking and drinking some wine.

Finally, after some time, he walked to the door and looked at me. 'Sleep for now.' Only thing he said. I tried to say something, but I couldn't even mutter... but before he left, he gave me some bread and water. I was eating like I would never eat anything in future, I swear Regreh. It was like I was first time eating food... I still remember that taste. When you are hungry, Regreh, you don't mind anything. Taste of simple bread and water is like food of gods. I eat and drink until I was full... and I sleeped.

When I woke up again, he was in room already, looking at me from distance. From stool, like before. He repeated things like that for few next days... I don't even know how long. Feed, sleep, go to toilet with his help... I knew it was some inn at that time...I heard voices under floor. All of it without any sort of conversation. I tried to speak, but he was ordering me to stay silent everytime. Finally, one day, I woke up with him sitting next to me, on stool. I looked at him, waiting... I though he wanted my body, like many before him... I tried to take sheet off me, but he stopped me, without any emotion on his face, except his normal, calm, cold glance. Finally, he said...

'Do you want to change this?' he was silent for a moment and I almost decided to ask what it meant, but he continued. 'Do you want to change your life, souless girl? You aren't what you was before, despite what you may think. People fear your kind. You are new on this world. Tell me, do you want to let people that want hurt you... do it? Or you want to fight for your right to live, to feel and to act?'

I tried to say something, but only thing I could come with was... 'I... w-want. I... w-wa-ant!' My voice was still weak, but I tried to still say it. Finally, I managed to say more. 'I... w-want-t... f-fight-t!'

He looked at me, for long time. Smoking pipe and observing my face. Drinking wine. Maybe thinking. Maybe just looking. Finally, he nodded a bit and said it.

'Then I will teach you.'

For first few weeks I wasn't rising form bed. He bring some people and those people let me feed on them... I didn't killed any, of course. I was getting stronger and stronger. He didn't let me talk with those people. Even with him, I... actually at that time, I didn't even talked with him. I was just listening and he was looking. This is everything. Eating, sucking, toilet, bed, bath... not in that order. It lasted for Gods know how long... I never asked.

And one day, when I was strong enough to walk around our room, he gave me clothes and... lens. Color lens.

'Never take this out in public. Don't let a anyone hit you in eye or you will get glass shards inside of it.' everything he ever said about my disguise was that. I still was forced to be silent in town. He told people around that I'm mute. I didn't mind that.

I started to walk with him to buy some food and do other things. Carry something from and to inn. Go talk with some people... well, he was doing it. I was just following him around, observing. People often didn't even looked at me. Only in inn, patrons ofter offered me smile or some tips. I became waitress, later, as he ordered me to pay for my part of rent. I never spoke to either inkeeper or his wife, but those were good people. I was doing it for almost half of year. Six months of live as mute waitress walking with my... well... master? Owner? Boss? I know we was in one of town of Northend Kingdom and they don't mind slavery as long as it isn't one of their own citizens that is slave or slaver.

And then, one day, he gave me dagger and gave me short instruction.

'This night another man will come to you, he will touch you and he will think that you are paid to do this. You will kill him.' I looked at him, scared and shooked my head... I felt how he slapped me and pressed that dagger to my own throat again. 'You will do that or he will kill you.'

And... that man came that night. He was young, but his eyes... well, enough to say, he wasn't best man I ever saw. But he was kind to me, asked if I really want to do it. I nodded... he undressed and started to touch me... It was nice, but at same time, terrible... Finally, he was trying to get into me, but I panicked. I grabbed his chest and... startes sucking his live out of him, like I never did. He choked and tried to push me, but he was too weak... he died, looking in my eyes, with fear and regret.

It was... kind of funny, you know. I killed people before. I mean, on March. And before it... at least I thought so back then. It just wasn't me. Riza soul was in Void at that time. I had her memories, her body... but I was different. I act diferrent. I think in different way. This is why I never though to came back to her house, her family. She was dead for them... and I wanted it to stay like this. They deserved peace. Anyway...

He came back, looking at body... I think he was observing everything... maybe there was hole in wall? I don't know. Anyway, he looked at me and nodded. 'Good.' I know it was only one word, but from his mouth... it was like damn honour. Shit, I know how it sounds, but it really make me proud of myself. Well, maybe not so proud at that time, there was dead body lying on bed next to me... he took body with help of inkeeper. I never asked about this. He never talked with me about this. Everything was fine.

From that time, he started to train me... fighting, dirty moves, creeping, hidding in shadows. Everything. I still remember those damn lessons. In that in, just below roof, there was pretty big attic. He trained me there. Right moves, stabs, dodges.

'Armored target, plate. Bastard sword. Stab, cut, knockdown, finishing move!' his voice was silent, but still hard as still is. I stabbed imagined enemy between his armor plates, cut him in other weak place and tried to do a knocking move, but suddenly, my master hit me with his branch. He always did that.

'Wrong!' SLAP! I squeaked as I felt pain on my back. 'Wrong leg move, you would be already impaled on his blade or maybe you would be forced to search your teeth on that floor. Again!' Another try. SLAP! I felt another hit. He looked at me and shook his head. 'Again!'. 'Again!', 'Again!'. I don't even remember how many times we repeated those sequences... He always was beating me in part of training where I fought with him. No mercy for apprentice, eh?

Anyway, he trained me, Regreh. He saved my live back there and trained me for long time, until he was sure that I know everything what I should. He left me after handshake... heh. He always was that kind of man... I never saw him offering handshake to other person then this apprentice. That was good, but sad day. Sarkon, old fool. And my master.

***​
And with those words, you finished first part of your story. Regreh look at you for a while and sighed.

'Hard life, aye. It seems that your master was both caring and cruel man...' he mutters, pouring soup into bowls for you and him.

'He wasn't cruel. His metods of training, yes. Those maybe. But he, never.' you rises from sofa and slowly get to chair, sitting on other side of it... 'Well... let's eat. We must get some energy... tomorrow we will work.'

And stars above our heads will shine.

Well, I hope you like this short interlude for start of Act I. Real update will show up soon. I was a bit ill for this weekend and was forced to forget about writing for that time.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
I updated an character sheets, connecting those to update that should appear tomorrow. Also, I'm terrible at editing posts. Just saying. If you don't know where those are, remember - first post is your best friend.

If you wonder why Castor sheet is a bit different then Reg's - it is that he don't exactly trust you too much now, after shit that happend last chapter(s). And you learned new facts about him. Just wait a bit, everything will be clear.

Also, I hope you like working with a bit larger team. You aren't really thinking that Council will left you without some sort of support, right? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom