Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kastle. Fortress. Dwarf Fortress.

tindrli

Arcane
well thats a big fortress indeed. and we need more dwarfs. i wonder how long does it takes to dig that thing entirely. ALso how can we know that there is no water or lava all those levels below

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
well thats a big fortress indeed. and we need more dwarfs. i wonder how long does it takes to dig that thing entirely

More dwarves won't dig this thing faster, as we only have two pickaxes right now. Could have traded for more, but Azira is not the best broker around.

You and Kalin are doing tolerable job at mining. With Kalin mostly shouting at you to dig faster.

ALso how can we know that there is no water or lava all those levels below

If our miners dig too deep and fall down to a glorious death, then we'll know there is lava underneath.

But worry not! In case of such a scenario, I will make adjustments to the current layout and find more miners for replacements. Nothing will stop the construction of Redlabored.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Jc4DAeh.png

Cool train picture. Very dwarven.

Hey I liked the courtyard of death an all, but diz shit?

Fuuuuuuu....

Guess ah have to dig out my own sekhrut klub house...

Andnjord

Arcane
Glorious Angerith shall be indeed! Although my mind reels at the inefficiency of a single floor layout, at least it brings forth joyous memories of the miseries of open plan office layouts. The workers shall know their place!

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
lLtAqSI.png
Bugger off, Savanna. When I was designing this layout, I was, what you might call--

XHw0wrF.png
Drunk?

True story. Fell asleep while tinkering with the layout. Couldn't remember anything when I woke up. :negative:

Made some adjustments and decided to post a mini-update, no RP this time. Explaining fortress layout in RP fashion makes a boring read.

Remember the entrance area?

IA04wNf.png

Moved it one level below the fortress to gain some space and improve logistics. So now it looks like this:

e13R3tK.png

Red square on the top is a staircase room, leading up to Redlabored (more specifically, to the Stone Garden). The fortress itself was slightly changed as well.

N7hRA60.png

I'm not gonna make the same mistake again. This time I'll leave schematics for my future reference:

psheBuH.png

LjZ5cDI.png

And also details on the more convoluted parts:

WQtVKJZ.png

5G6AH6r.png

And stuff to plan out on later stages:

1. Wells, water pipes, water reservoirs, floodgates, maintenance tunnels (around Winter)
2. Marksdwarves barracks and access to the Tower of Smells (around Spring)
3. Power generation (around next Summer)
4. Soaper, glassmaker (when it becomes relevant)
5. Grimlin (when time comes)

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I predict kastle will be abandoned around the time Kalin dig passageway #3

Nah, this isn't Rimworld. Dwarves dig and build extremely fast. Kalin and Tindrli (2 miners) dug out the Passage of Memories in two weeks. They are now starting to dig Redlabored itself.

Most of the essential facilities will be ready around Autumn. Notice the blue color on the layout - it means "marker mode". So it's currently schematics and plans, not an actual "dig this entire fortress" order.

We shall not build or even dig facilities that we don't need right now. For example, there is no point in building temples to the Gods that none of us worships. But these Gods are still in the pantheon of our civilization. New migrants will come and demand a place to honor these gods. Eventually.

Another example is awarded quarters. You can all live in Kommunalka for now, it's perfectly suitable for komrades. It has rooms. And beds.

So we'll take it step by step, facility by facility.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So the farms and the crypts will be on different levels after all?

So here's the thing about farms. If you want to create a farm plot, you have to assign it to a soiled tile. Dirt, mud, sand, clay - everything "earthy" works. But we're digging Angèrith 8 levels below ground. There is a whole layer of basalt down here - you can't make farms on solid stone.

There is a way to "create" soil anywhere you want, but this method requires stupid amounts of water. Making an upwards stairway leading to the soil layer is a faster solution. I left some space right here

6eWbppL.png

in case we decide to use artificial soil at some point in the future.

As for the crypt, it has to be big. Enormous even. Placing it some levels below only makes sense. Besides, if when you die in KKK, wouldn't you want to have your eternal rest in a quiet place, away from bustling activity?

With the mines obviously following the veins of ore?

I rather like Lizzurd's idea of digging the mines shaped as metro. Something like this

Zhf0zw0.jpg

What's the point? I'll tell you. The streets of Redlabored are winding and zig-zaggin', following the shape of buildings and other structures. If you cut your finger while sewing clothes (NW corner of the fortress), making it to the hospital (SE corner of the fortress) won't be easy.

By using the metro you can take the straight path and be there in no time. It will also have railways and minecarts for quick transportation of raw resources.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the farms and the crypts will be on different levels after all?

So here's the thing about farms. If you want to create a farm plot, you have to assign it to a soiled tile. Dirt, mud, sand, clay - everything "earthy" works. But we're digging Angèrith 8 levels below ground. There is a whole layer of basalt down here - you can't make farms on solid stone.

There is a way to "create" soil anywhere you want, but this method requires stupid amounts of water. Making an upwards stairway leading to the soil layer is a faster solution. I left some space right here

6eWbppL.png

in case we decide to use artificial soil at some point in the future.

As for the crypt, it has to be big. Enormous even. Placing it some levels below only makes sense. Besides, if when you die in KKK, wouldn't you want to have your eternal rest in a quiet place, away from bustling activity?

With the mines obviously following the veins of ore?

I rather like Lizzurd's idea of digging the mines shaped as metro. Something like this

Zhf0zw0.jpg

What's the point? I'll tell you. The streets of Redlabored are winding and zig-zaggin', following the shape of buildings and other structures. If you cut your finger while sewing clothes (NW corner of the fortress), making it to the hospital (SE corner of the fortress) won't be easy.

By using the metro you can take the straight path and be there in no time. It will also have railways and minecarts for quick transportation of raw resources.
Man's struggling to place a farm but he's got a metro in place. God fucking speed. :hero:

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
I demand to be enlisted in the Kolony. I require having a dick, a beard, a beer, a true faith in Shoduk, God of Depravity and office dwellers and getting either of/both occupations:
1. Orekh-kin (or Nut-kin), a mediocre liar and record-keeper whose only desire in life is to become a bookkeeper. Should he become one he would endlessly fiddle with statistics to persuade everyone that their life in Kolony has already become better yesterday. He would require a bunch of ugly whores, one of them a cat-lady. Stories about barrel deflators are possible.
2. So Byakhee, a greedy drunkard building designer who would spend all his life making and remaking metro, paving the map in golden tiles, trying to expand Tower of Smells by another 50 layers, etc.

tindrli

Arcane
that metro design style would be great for our hospital. countless times better and more effective than line style in my opinion

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
4th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer
The Outpost

lLtAqSI.png
WORK HARDAR, you damnable wretches!

PV80FJy.png
*grumbles* How could I end up here of all places, building this joke of a fortress together with assorted dwarven criminals, led by, well, him.

lLtAqSI.png
DIG THOSE TUNNELS, I SAID! And watch out for the deers! Sneaky bastards excel at creeping up behind you. They can be very rapey this time of year.

DUelvJM.png
*panting* Kommissar! Kommissar!!

lLtAqSI.png
Hrm? Where have you been, Squishy?

DUelvJM.png
Err, scouting? That's not relevant! DWARVES are coming our way!

lLtAqSI.png
Are you sure these are dwarves?

DUelvJM.png
I've spotted a group of short, sturdy creatures. I mean, what else could it be?

lLtAqSI.png
Do they have antlers?

DUelvJM.png
... No, Kommissar.

lLtAqSI.png
Are you sure?

Later that day.

DUelvJM.png
Here they come!

R9Xk4zn.png

lLtAqSI.png
Hrmpf. Four dwarves. No wagons. Suspicious.

DUelvJM.png
And they have a dog with them! Look at that cute little rascal, awwww.

PV80FJy.png
Is that their leader in front of the group? Dwarf with no beard? By Olon's pubic hair, it's a she-dwarf!

TWOnKLq.png
Dat's one yuge dorf!

1tkud7F.png
Greetings, friends! *her voice is low and thunderous*

TWOnKLq.png
*mumbles to himself* Is it gay to be aroused rite now?

1tkud7F.png
We are looking for Angèrith.

DUelvJM.png
Well, you've found it!

1tkud7F.png
Ahhh, wonderful. May we speak to your leader then?

lLtAqSI.png
Grand Kommissar Grimgaze Wolfmonger, Destroyer of Currency, Bane of Deers, Dwarven Equalizer. I speak on behalf of the Voices of Kommunism.

XHw0wrF.png
"The importance of first impression," he said.

1tkud7F.png
Sounds GLORIOUS, Kommissar! I am Resen Twistwhip, no fancy titles to my name, and these are my companions--

XHw0wrF.png
Don't bother. Grimwulf won't remember your names. Not now, not ever.

lLtAqSI.png
That is not true, Sukkah Vatnik.

XHw0wrF.png
Su. Kha. Va. Ti.

siSaJv9.png
Many pleasures, mine lady.

XHw0wrF.png
What?

TWOnKLq.png
Who's da scrawny guy?

siSaJv9.png
I LOATHE YOUR PARDON!

1tkud7F.png
My husband, Zan Copperguard. We call him Wayward Son.

4o6H0Qw.png
Wayward Son? I bet there is a story behind this name.

1tkud7F.png
Our former leader used to call him "Backward Son of a Bitch," until I, let's say, adjusted his ability to speak. Wayward Son is more appropriate.

siSaJv9.png
Proudest member of dwarvish members, as your servant!

1tkud7F.png
That is quite enough, dear.

TWOnKLq.png
Yer husband? DAT DORF is yer husband?

1tkud7F.png
Adorable little creature, isn't he? Always trying to be polite, but never quite manages to pick the right words. It's a mental condition.

4o6H0Qw.png
Must be dwarven aphasia.

lLtAqSI.png
Despite being retarded, your husband speaks more cohesive than Kalin. But why are you here?

1tkud7F.png
We've heard there is a fortress in need of extra dwarven hands.

siSaJv9.png
Your will. Our limbs.

lLtAqSI.png
Then what are you waiting for? Kalin, the fuck-faced dwarf over here, will assign tasks for all of you. He's the manager of Redlabored, sadly. Report to him at once and start working!

44fJDgQ.png
Are you going to offer us a drink for a start?

DrlWIHv.png
Honey, maybe it's enough for tod--

44fJDgQ.png
Be quiet, woman. Your voice only makes me more thirsty.

DUelvJM.png
Hi, I'm Sqeecoo! And you are?

44fJDgQ.png
Tirist Keygoal, better known as Mustawd. And this is my wife, Urist Scrapedbolted. Stupid name, I know. So I call her Reinhardt instead.

DrlWIHv.png
You are so mean.

44fJDgQ.png
*sigh* Lost in a game of dice to her parents. Had to marry her. Can I have a drink now?

4th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer

We've decided to spend a day celebrating our first migrant wave! Grimwulf objected, to no one's surprise, but some occasions just have to be celebrated.

Have to admit, I've asked so many questions, they all probably hate me by now. Okay, not all of them - Helly is very open and friendly. That's how I call Resen. Want to know why? Of course you do! You are my diary, after all.

When Resen's mother first saw the baby right after giving birth, she screamed, "HELDóTTIR!!" Can't blame the poor mother. If my daughter looked like Helly, I would be screaming too!

She came back to her senses after a few days and gave Resen a proper name. However, Heldóttir kinda stuck with her since the day she was born.

I swear she must be the most cheerful dwarf I've ever seen! Always smiling, always has a joke or funny tale ready to tell. However, something is disturbing, malevolent even, in the way she looks at the others. When I asked if I can call her Helly, she said no. I called her Helly regardless! We had a good laugh. But the way she was looking at me... brr.

Overall, Helly is a massive, ever-laughing, and kind-of-kind (?) dwarf. I'm glad to have her around.

VGoafcV.png

Her husband Zan, or should I say, Wayward Son (Gods, what a weird way to address your husband) is funny. So fixed on being polite and acting dignified, and the way he does it is just... Is it rude to laugh at a mentally impaired dwarf? I guess not.

I asked Wayward Son how did he meet Helly. His answer was, "As a throbbing young dwarf, my resolve to be paired was uncontested." He went on, but I couldn't listen due to uncontrollable bursts of laughter.

s3m3LMJ.png

Helly and Wayson left early. They must have been exhausted after the trip and needed rest.

Strange thing, when Helly said, "Let's go to bed," the look on Wayson's face was of genuine terror. And I'm pretty sure I could hear something violent happening in the dormitory, as well as Wayward Son... weeping? Maybe it's just my imagination.

Anyway, after Helly and Wayson left, I made it my goal to learn everything about Mustawd and Reinhardt. And I mean everything. If Mustawd likes yaks for some reason (spoiler: he does), I want to know why (spoiler: for their shaggy hair).

I feel for Reinhardt. She is a suffering dwarf, but she endures. I can respect that. And yet seeing her love for Mustawd met with nothing but cold hatred is making me sad.

ppzKRrU.png

Can't say anything about Mustawd. Not very talkative this one. He is stubborn, that much is certain. And he is calm, disturbingly so. I don't feel comfortable near this dwarf.

rZsqVIe.png

5th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer
Communal Dormitory
Early Morning

TWOnKLq.png
WAKE UP YER DICKS AND PUSSIES! Time ta WERK! *kicks Tindrli*

3xknlxr.png
That was uncalled for.

1tkud7F.png
*yawns with the sound of volcanic eruption*

TWOnKLq.png
All ya new arrivuls, I AM DA MANAGER, OK? Ye listen ta what I say.

44fJDgQ.png
You are the manager, huh?

TWOnKLq.png
Got a problem with that, new boi? Wanna shake sum BALLZ, show yer VIZUN of how to do my job? *spits*

44fJDgQ.png
Just mildly surprised is all. I would expect Azira or maybe Merc managing this place, not someone like... you.

DrlWIHv.png
Shhh! Don't be so rude to our new friends, sweetheart.

44fJDgQ.png
Don't interrupt me when I'm talking, woman.

XHw0wrF.png
Kalin was elected as the manager, believe it or not.

4o6H0Qw.png
Calling that "election" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

XHw0wrF.png
He might not be the manager we need, but maybe he's the one we deserve.

44fJDgQ.png
How often do you have elections here?

TWOnKLq.png
DAT'S IT, motherfucker! You wanna play, let's play! Wot are u gud at?

44fJDgQ.png
Me? I'm a potash maker.

erNBgzG.png

TWOnKLq.png
Putarsh?

44fJDgQ.png
Potash.

hUwMtSW.jpg

44fJDgQ.png
But I also have some fisherdwarf experience.

TWOnKLq.png
You're a miner now. Take mah pick before I make you TAKE MAH DICK!

44fJDgQ.png
I've never held a pickaxe in my l--

TWOnKLq.png
DON'T CARE! That'll teach ya.

DrlWIHv.png
If you're sending Mustawd to the mines, I'm going too.

TWOnKLq.png
Not enuff picks for both of ya. Wot can you do other than whining?

DrlWIHv.png
Umm, you know. This and that...

TWOnKLq.png
DO I HAFTA BEAT IT OUT OF YER BLABBERIN' FUCKIN' FACE?!

DrlWIHv.png
I used to be a farmhand.

44fJDgQ.png
Yeah, for a whole week. She can't do anything, Kalin. My wife is useless.

PoVB2rI.png

TWOnKLq.png
Farkin' perfect. *spits*

DrlWIHv.png
I'm a quick learner.

44fJDgQ.png
When will you learn to stay quiet?

DUelvJM.png
I can teach Reinhardt how to grow crops!

TWOnKLq.png
Ye ye, fukkit, don't care. Do watchya want.

1tkud7F.png
Got anything for me, manager?

TWOnKLq.png
Can you KUK?

DUelvJM.png
Hey! I am Redlabored's cook!

TWOnKLq.png
Rite. Can you BRU?

1tkud7F.png
A can brew. And cook. And, as you would put it, "KUT WUD," A HAR HAR HAR, aaaahhh. I have a lot of talents.

jx5TIiz.png

TWOnKLq.png
A'rite, you're da BREUE *retches, spits* BRUEUWUE *coughs*

1tkud7F.png
Brewer?

TWOnKLq.png
YE.

1tkud7F.png
You got it, boss.

siSaJv9.png
A decent compatriot such as me be, I announce the full preparation of my body and entrust it to your gnawing, gnarly hands.

TWOnKLq.png
Wot?

1tkud7F.png
He is ready to do whatever you want him to do.

TWOnKLq.png
What CAN he do?

siSaJv9.png
Wrapping.

1tkud7F.png
Paper. Wayward Son is a papermaker.

ZPpm8Rp.png

TWOnKLq.png
W-- Dat's it?

1tkud7F.png
No, but you don't want to know the rest of his... skills. *winks at Wayward Son*

siSaJv9.png
*sweating profusely*

TWOnKLq.png
Dat's wot I have to deal with every day. Buncha useless farkin' morons, piece of sh--

6th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer
The Outpost

Uqaix0y.png

DUelvJM.png
So what's the little guy's name?

1tkud7F.png
That's Kel. Kel Ushatedan.

FDjGEG1.png

DUelvJM.png
Aww, so adorable! Is he a hunting dog? A guard dog, maybe? Any special abilities?

1tkud7F.png
He can smell trouble and stay away from it, A HAR HAR HAR, haaaa. That's about the only thing he can do. No offence, Kel.

9vftIjX.png

DUelvJM.png
Why do you keep him around?

1tkud7F.png
I have a soft spot for weak and mishappen creatures.

DUelvJM.png
But why?

1tkud7F.png
Why indeed... Wayward Son! Would you come here for a moment, deary?

siSaJv9.png
*walks towards Sqeecoo and Helly*

1tkud7F.png
How do you like it here in Redlabored?

siSaJv9.png
Been eternally craving the period of my tormented living when the finale plays out, a spot of things to come.

1tkud7F.png
He says he's been searching his entire life for a place like this. Somewhere to build a future. See, Wayward son is not a dumb dwarf, far from it. He is simply misunderstood.

DUelvJM.png
So you help others understand him better? Like a translator?

1tkud7F.png
A... translator. Yes, you could say that. But I prefer to look at this in a bit more poetic way. I find beauty where no one else would even look, and then I reveal this beauty to the world.

14th Malachite, 125, Mid-Summer
Dining Room

AbkFFHb.png

PV80FJy.png
What do you think of the newcomers?

4o6H0Qw.png
We are in no position to be picky about recruits. But I'm not calling them friends anytime soon.

5HojIre.png

PV80FJy.png
What about you, Kalin?

TWOnKLq.png
Don't gib two shits 'bout them. Or YOU for dat matter.

PV80FJy.png
The Kommissar is not happy about excavation progress. You shouldn't have assigned Mustawd as a miner.

TWOnKLq.png
Fuck you and yer opinuns, Merc! I know what I'm doin', OK? Tender boi is liek two miners in one dorf.

DE6vTDV.png

PV80FJy.png
Tindrli spends entire days in the Muddy Chapel, praying to Uzol and meditating on metals.

TWOnKLq.png
Ye. And den he goes down to dem tunnels and NAILS dat shit! KUTs thru stone as if it was elven pussy!

4o6H0Qw.png
That is no longer the case. First, Tindrli doesn't visit the Muddy Chapel anymore. Like most religious dwarves, he wants to see a temple dedicated to his God alone. Second, with all our current troubles and overall living conditions, he's just not focused on the task.

GWe9jE2.png

PV80FJy.png
It's not only Tindrli's focus that suffers. We could all use some damn comfort down here.

4o6H0Qw.png
And that should be the manager's headache.

TWOnKLq.png
*scratches his ass*

PV80FJy.png
Kalin?

TWOnKLq.png
Wo?

PV80FJy.png
Can you talk to Grimwulf? Maybe we could turn this dining room into a tavern? This way the dwarves would be able to socialize and have some downtime. More time for stories, jokes, and drinks.

4o6H0Qw.png
Yeah... About that. We are running out of drinks. Rapidly.

Ev0e6Ya.png

TWOnKLq.png
Ye ye, solved dat. We 'ave a bruwe-- burow-- BUUEER naw.

4o6H0Qw.png
Good job. You make organizing labor look easy.

TWOnKLq.png
DAS RITE! Kalin, manager for life!

4o6H0Qw.png
Except it's not easy, Kalin! We have nothing to brew!

PV80FJy.png
Wait, this can't be right. What about plump helmets?

4o6H0Qw.png
Only two mushrooms left.

I3WYCAt.png

PV80FJy.png
But we had a whole harvest of those!

4o6H0Qw.png
We did. Until it went straight into Sqeecoo's cooking pot. Now we have a whooole lot of mushroom balls and mushroom lasagna.

ZusInTD.png

PV80FJy.png
By the Gods, WHY did she cook plump helmets? We should have left them for brewing!

4o6H0Qw.png
Don't blame Sqeecoo. She was ordered to "KUK evdathing ye see until dere's nuthin' left to KUK".

TWOnKLq.png
Fuck. You.

PV80FJy.png
Azira, can I have another look at your food list? What is... "prepared horse eye lasagna?"

4o6H0Qw.png
"KUK evdathing ye see"

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
As always, post your own avatars, and I'll make ninja-edits to previous updates. Bonus points if your avatars match the in-game description.

Also, that's what you get for signing up blindly :lol: Just in case it wasn't clear, I have no impact on what kind of dwarves join us at Redlabored. Everything is RNG. It might be better to wait until we grow up to 60-80 dwarves and then choose from the unassigned ones.

Most migrant waves arrive in families. Husbands and wives, parents and children. Keep that in mind when signing up as a she-dwarf.

I can be anyone that communism requires me to be but would prefer someone smart but also shitty at words.

Be careful what you wish for.

Citizen

iYPEhe.png

Ziss dwarf would love to join a kodekss kasstle. Name iss Citissen. Very good at sstalking, ssneaking and sstrangling... Ssorry, ziss dwarf meant digging of coursse, good at digging holess

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
*Later, in the calm of the subterranean buildings*
What is wrong with this place? Who'd ever build a fortress in the middle of the mud? I guess beggars can't be choosers, but still...
That little manager, with his small narrow head... He seems to be their second in command... I must learn what it would cost to get him to owe me a favour...
In any case, let's help them for now, they desperately need our guidance.
Our time *shall* come...

Also why...why does this table bring me so much pleasure?...
7V0XMtc.png

Great work Grimwulf, I had a blast reading last update :hug:

vazha

Arcane
Excellent update. Loving the way Wayward Son elaborates on things )))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom