Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The KotOR 1 >>> 2 stuff is pretty bad, but to recommend Academy over Outcast...

Double-bladed and dual-wield styles were shit and the guy you could kill/spare for dark/light endings was Jar Jar-tier annoying.

Dark Forces 2 was probably the best in the series though, but it wasn't all about the saber fights like JO and JA.

It has always baffled me as well how people could rank Academy so high whilst the true order of the games is Dark Forces 2 > Outcast >>>> Academy

To me, Academy felt extremely floaty in terms of gameplay all while it dumbed down everything there was about Lightsaber combat and also negating any other gameplay with other weapons. Worst offender is probably how you could get off all the combo moves with just random spastic clicking of buttons. Unlike in Outcast. In that game, if you wanted to do overhead spin, roll stab or any other move it actually required timing and aiming whilst in Academy it was all "hit them roughly in very flexible timeframe and you pull it off".

Outcast was a good game on it's own terms but no game overcomes Dark Forces 2. From it's cheesy yet extremely Star Warsy live-action cutscenes to level design that is most likely never surpassed to this date to some of the best movement physics in any game this game just oozes both class and quality. And that's even without touching it's combat where every weapon has it's place and purpose, with their alternate functions offering various forms of approach and meaningfully so because:

Lightsaber, it's not actually OP weapon of the prequels. It's the meaty, heavy weapon it was meant to be. Without proper handling you were simply better off using weapons. Whilst DF2 does not have fancy combos it overcomes it by the fact that you actually need to have some perspective and capability to actually handle it. Manual aiming for shots taken at you instead of auto deflect, unable to deflect overwhelming fire, to be effective with beyond normal weapons you need to utilize the Force Powers. It's just all out best implementation of the original idea of Lightsaber.

DF2 just oozes Original Trilogy from every orifice (even if cheesier) and does so while being extremely competent game on it's own right that should be ranked far beyond the linear shit like Half-Life 1 which it actually preceeds by a year or so.

circ

Arcane
In KoTOR 1's defense, atleast it's finished and coherent. KoTOR 2 starts out alright, then at some point it gets dementia and starts walking backwards whilst soiling itself.

I don't remember Academy. I liked Dark Forces 1. And Jedi Knight 1? I don't know I used to have lightsaber duels with guys over the internets.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
In KoTOR 1's defense, atleast it's finished and coherent. KoTOR 2 starts out alright, then at some point it gets dementia and starts walking backwards whilst soiling itself.

I don't remember Academy. I liked Dark Forces 1. And Jedi Knight 1? I don't know I used to have lightsaber duels with guys over the internets.
Have you played Kotor 2 with the restored content mod ?

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
I have actually. All I remember is getting ambushed by hk-47 clones every 30 minutes.
Well in my recent play through it felt decently coherent (it has been far to long for me to compare to my first play through).

The added HK stuff was alright till you ended up in the factory, that part was cancerous.

M0RBUS

Augur
You guys are so edgy...

[...]

Whatever your thoughts about the dated gameplay [...]
No, not dated, nobody cares about dates, HoMM3 has dated gameplay and it's still some of the most fun I've ever had in a game of that genre and I'm playing it for the first time now.
KotOR has bad gameplay. Not dated. Bad. Back then it was bad. Now it is bad. Just as bad. Not better, or worse.

KILL ALL THE CALENDARS!!!!!!"12

:EDIT:
Also, I must say I played through KotOR once and loved it to bits. I was 16 was talking out loud to my characters. That improved the experience immensely.

:EDIT:
I'm not saying KotOR is a good game or a good RPG. KotOR2 blew it out of the water, even in its unfinished buggy state.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I tried to finish the kotor games, but I gave up quick on each. Looking back, the only Star Wars games I ever returned to were the first two Rogue Squadrons. None of the characters or orientalist philosophy appealed to me, I guess.

mbv123

Arbiter
I have actually. All I remember is getting ambushed by hk-47 clones every 30 minutes.
Well in my recent play through it felt decently coherent (it has been far to long for me to compare to my first play through).

The added HK stuff was alright till you ended up in the factory, that part was cancerous.
I remember doing my first run of KOTOR 2 TSLRCM without knowing anything about the HK factory. I didn't use HK at all and he had shit equipment and shitty build. Now I'm thrown in and forced to massacre 50 HK droids all on my own. Ended up finishing it just barely by running to the controls so I can destroy the factory, using all my repair and construction kits on the way.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

I remember doing my first run of KOTOR 2 TSLRCM without knowing anything about the HK factory. I didn't use HK at all and he had shit equipment and shitty build. Now I'm thrown in and forced to massacre 50 HK droids all on my own. Ended up finishing it just barely by running to the controls so I can destroy the factory, using all my repair and construction kits on the way.

Yeah that HK factory is one of the worst mods out there. Repetitive battles and constant back tracking. Shits terrible.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The orientalists are Westerners. What I need is a south facing window, so the glare of the sun won't obstruct my view, otherwise I would.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The orientalists are Westerners. What I need is a south facing window, so the glare of the sun won't obstruct my view, otherwise I would.

Smash your screen into four pieces and point each one in each cardinal direction so you get the best of both all four worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom