Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview KOTOR 2 preview at GameBanshee

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>GameBanshee</a> posted a <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/kotoriipreview1.php>preview</a> of <b>KOTOR 2</b>. Don't expect to find a lot of new info for obvious reasons, but overall I liked it much more then the Gamespot preview.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In the original, it was common for players everywhere to use the characters they became most efficient with, which meant that the Jedi Jolee, Juhani and Bastila were used more often than any other set of party members. Since they were Jedi, there was really no reason for keeping say, Mission or T3-M4 in your party when you could wield the power of these dominant companions unless you wanted the flavor or additional quests. In The Sith Lords, different companions may be off doing their own mission, thereby "allowing" you to utilize some of the other party members more often. It is said that each companion will have a uniquely helpful ability or trait and that missions will be designed to take advantage of these, encouraging diversification.</blockquote>That was the part I didn't like in the first game. No matter how high my character's security skill is, only T3-M4 can open that lock, and only Mission and Jolee can disable the force fields.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

That doesn't sound like its adding more choice. Characters will be off on missions "allowing" you to utilize the others. Sounds more like "forcing you". It could still be horribly unbalanced and it just forces you to deal with weaker, equally useless characters because you have no choice in the matter.

Oyarsa

Novice
synthetic semantic cement trick

Sounds like a page outta Freedom Force, though I'm sure some game did it earlier than that.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Elvander said:
That doesn't sound like its adding more choice. Characters will be off on missions "allowing" you to utilize the others. Sounds more like "forcing you". It could still be horribly unbalanced and it just forces you to deal with weaker, equally useless characters because you have no choice in the matter.

Just because your availaible companions are limited by design, doesn't mean the game is unbalanced, nor does it necessarily empohasize a "forced" environment. Is the alternative design, that your companions sit quietly in the Ebon Hawk playing pazaak and making security spikes until you have need of them, really make any more sense?

I meant the usefulness of some of the characters versus others, could still be horribly unbalanced. Except this time you can't just leave them sitting in the ebon hawk, you're forced to use their pointless asses.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Re: synthetic semantic cement trick

Oyarsa said:
Sounds like a page outta Freedom Force, though I'm sure some game did it earlier than that.

Yes, the Final Fantasy games.

Voss

Erudite
Taoreich said:
Just because your availaible companions are limited by design, doesn't mean the game is unbalanced, nor does it necessarily empohasize a "forced" environment. Is the alternative design, that your companions sit quietly in the Ebon Hawk playing pazaak and making security spikes until you have need of them, really make any more sense?

It doesn't make any more sense, but its more fun for the player if they don't have to carry dead weight around with them. That droid in particular was utterly useless- and had no personality, quirks or interesting traits to boot. And yet, you *had* to get him at that shop.
Which is why its odd that they decided to carry him over to the second game. Maybe he'll be interesting this time around, but...

I guess the thing of it is, *all* of the NPCs should be interesting, and you should want to try them out. The droid- just a trash can. Mission? Went dead after you finished with her brother, the wookie was only had dialogue about his own planet, but then ended up being unavailable for most of it!
With a limited # of NPCs, none of them should be dead weight. They don't have to be uber skilled, but they should at least be interesting.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
That was the part I didn't like in the first game. No matter how high my character's security skill is, only T3-M4 can open that lock, and only Mission and Jolee can disable the force fields.

That didn't get me as much as there were no restrictions on swapping party members left and right so you didn't really have to develop many skills on your own.

Rosh

Erudite
Re: synthetic semantic cement trick

Oyarsa said:

Yeah, it's called Star Trek: Away Team.

Talorc

Liturgist
Re: Party Members off on missions

Rosh said:
Oyarsa said:

Yeah, it's called Star Trek: Away Team.

Actually, The Magic Candle did something like it in 1989

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1924

You could leave your Dwarf Blacksmith character working in the Smithy earning cash, your Elf Hunter / Ranger outside town collecting food, your Wizards in the inn memorizing spells, whilst you took your Halfling charisma guy round town to do all the quest talking and shopping.

I know its not quite the same thing as a Party Member leaving to "to do their own mission" (eg convenient excuse for the designer to not let you use character X, and have to use character B to accomplish task) - but it was damn cool, as you got to decide what "side missions" you wanted the party members to do.

I have not played Star Trek away team, so I dunno what their exact implementaion of the idea was.

Rosh

Erudite
Well, I was going for a title that even the kiddies would have a chance of remembering. :lol:

As for Star Trek: Away Team, which was developed by Reflexive, who later created Star Trek: Away Team II: Lionheart, check out this review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom