Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware KOTOR 2 Restoration Project (not the Restored Content Mod)

kris

Arcane
afewhours said:
kris said:
don't worry, I haven't done a single one of those things.

Wha? I thought everyone had read the epic "Multi-headed Dicks" saga.

Missed that, in fact I read the first pages back when it was fresh and... steamy.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
afewhours said:
1. Get banned from TESF.

2. Complete Wizardry IV.

3. PM Jasede and tell him dungeon crawlers aren't real RPGs.

4. Read the whole of this comic strip and this thread.

5. Choose any RPG of your liking and write a 6,000 word essay on why it needs more "choices and consequences" and "moral ambiguity".
Add "Finish Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders without a walkthrough" to the list.

MetalCraze

Arcane
- An 'is' is missing in Zez Kai-Ell's dialog on Nar Shaddaa
- Receive misspelled in Gear Head Feat description
- The line "You will remain here, under guard. I must to see to the defense of my ship." has a 'to' too much. The first 'to' needs to disappear.

some really nasty bugs there

psycojester

Arbiter
Lestat said:
Stop whining, you twits. TSLRP will be released when it's done. Typos take seconds to fix, even I can do it.

Nobody make fun of TSLR! They're delicate special flowers.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
skyway said:
If is capitalized in the middle of a sentence in HK-47's dialog
[Team Gizka] 003EBO - 03-11-08 12:37
I will specially count the time between the day this horrible game-breaking bug was posted and the day it will get fixed - just for lulz.
dumbfuck candidate

jaylittle

Scholar
Well I have to give Team Gizka credit... they picked some trustworthy people because there isn't any sign of this thing being leaked. Of course if anybody would like to contradict this, feel free to PM me.

:)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
jaylittle said:
Well I have to give Team Gizka credit... they picked some trustworthy people because there isn't any sign of this thing being released in the next century.

Of course if anybody would like to contradict this, feel free to PM me.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Don't tell me they have fucking great organizational skills, at least. It's free so whining is obviously obnoxious but that doesn't mean that one shouldn't be able to state they don't seem to get their shit together. But the real point is : the game is shitty so nobody should care.

"I HAD A PHILOSOPHY CLASS IN COLEGE"
"WHAT UP"
"STAR WARS IS DEEP SHIT DUDE"
"YEAH, LIGHTSABERS"
"IT'S ON"
"BUT WHAT ABOUT GAMEPLAY"
"WHAT"

Crichton

Prophet
Zhirzzh wrote:
Serious_Business wrote:
I will start the KotOR 1 Vs KotOR 2 debate again for no reason.

That seems unfair to Serious_Business. All he did was point out that KOTOR2 had no gameplay. (It didn't). There's nothing in that statement to imply that he thought KOTOR did (it didn't).

Crichton

Prophet
And I was wondering why you had a dumbfuck tag.

Riiiiiiight. You have three characters, you can't maneuver them separately and the control scheme is entire indirect (no reflex action required). I'd love to hear where the game is here, I must have just missed it.

nikpalj

Novice
Excuse me, guys, I'd like to know how many cd-s does kotor 2 come on and how much space does it take up on the hard drive? Thought that some of you fanboys might know the answer. :)

kris

Arcane
Crichton said:
And I was wondering why you had a dumbfuck tag.

Riiiiiiight. You have three characters, you can't maneuver them separately and the control scheme is entire indirect (no reflex action required). I'd love to hear where the game is here, I must have just missed it.

It is hard for me to agree that FPS is the only form of gameplay that exist.

Crichton

Prophet
A lot of games don't require reflex actions. Are board games no longer games?

They are if they don't require any decision-making either.

Among indirect control cRPGs, it's pretty simple.

Gameplay: NWN2, JA1+2, Silent Storm, FFT, Tactics Ogre, BG1+2, IWD1+2, et al

No Gameplay: NWN, Fallout 1+2, Arcanum, KotOR1+2, diablo, MMOs, et al

I don't have a problem with games not requiring any actual game-playing (Arcanum is a personal favorite of mine), but 'choosing your own adventure' isn't a game. Roleplaying is choosing between reasonable choices (fighter or mage, save the jedi masters or kill them, use diplomacy or fight), gameplay is distinguishing between right moves and wrong ones. If there are no wrong moves or distinguishing between them is trival, it's not gameplay.

In the KotOR games, it isn't even close enough to warrant discussion. You have a blob that can take three actions a turn and doesn't interact with terrain (even to the point of taking cover). All positioning is meaningless since AoE weapons neatly distinguish friend from from foe and the front of your blob is 1/6th a turn's movement from the back of it.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Crichton said:
In the KotOR games, it isn't even close enough to warrant discussion. You have a blob that can take three actions a turn and doesn't interact with terrain (even to the point of taking cover). All positioning is meaningless since AoE weapons neatly distinguish friend from from foe and the front of your blob is 1/6th a turn's movement from the back of it.

You remind me of the guy who tried to say VATS wasn't RtWP because it was dumbed down. You've told me why the gameplay is dumbed-down and non-strategic. It's still gameplay, you still press a button or click the mouse to attack, and there are some "special attacks" as well. Hell, it's more complicated than Mario. Is Mario not a game because you just jump on stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom