Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware KOTOR 2 Restoration Project (not the Restored Content Mod)

Sith Holocron

Novice
tindrli said:
its 10:21 A.M. is it out??

The TSLRCM is already to version 1.8.2 and is available for download here.

As the site for TSLRP has been down for some time - and won't be coming back - you may as well try the mod still being worked on.

Last edited:

CrisGer

Literate
I have been involved with restoration and preservation of KoTOR assets for both titles for years. Yes there have been a series of up and down attempts ..the key to all of this is that the devel teams of both titles, KoTOR I an dKoTOR II slid into the published game files assets and left in content that was not used. We even almost got Slehyron an entire planet for KoTOR I that Dave Graider worked on, but the HDs with it lost contact with the main frame at the studio and it died. But for the rest, hundreds of files, and VAs and assets were saved for us.

So we began the research and testing and work on it all, and now the greatest part of the restoration for KoTOR II has been well done and out now for a long time and is stable and very good. Almost all of the restorable content is in it including the Droid planet, and new mods that restore are made compatible. So it is great progress. As for KoTOR I, I have about 19 modded assets that are restorations but they are not assembled into a pack yet, and I don't do that, i help preserve and support the projects when there are people and energy to do it.

But both games have restorations possible and are remarkable titles both of them. I am happy to pass on info to anyone who is interested. Just found this forum and site. so hi to all.

Glyphwright

Liberal said:
It will be out when it's done! The Team has been working hard this whole time to present you with free quality entertainment, and you should be grateful for that. Dashus said the mod will definitely be complete on its own time, so you should just down, relax and be patient.
Oh, I am awesome. :lol:

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Re: Beta Tester Quits Quite Publicly

Qui-Gon Glenn said:
I have been disenfranchised as a tester. I cannot update to the last build anymore, and none of the powers that be care much. I worked diligently on testing this mod for a year, and I see the waste of my time that it has been. Yes, I got to see a lot of cool stuff, some of it the very best of KotOR modding I have seen to date. But I wasn't testing the mod to play it, I really was testing the mod to help move it towards release.

Yep. I have had it. I no longer have any patience or stomach for what Dashus has decided to do with this project.

I can mod now myself, and I know that while I could not have done a project like this myself, I could have got it done with help.

Many over the years, far more skilled than myself, have made offers. I used to argue that this was unnecessary, that it would actually slow or muddle things, whatever. I took the company line for over 3 years. Now I know better.

Dashus holds this project hostage, and will never release this thing in any format better than it is in it's current state. My belief for this is that the one area to be Dashus' baby, the HK factory, still is in the same state that it came in out of the Xbox. Playable but crappy. And not changing.... because it is quite possibly beyond Dash's solo skills to fix it. This would not be an indictment of Dashus had he done anything to remedy the situation, but pride/arrogance/apathy prevented his getting help, and now here we are. IMO, Dashus has not only betrayed our community for years by being condescending by post whenever possible, but by letting this enormously popular and desired project to die on the vine, let it be made mostly irrelevant by not finishing and releasing in any state fomenting the creation of TSLRCM.

Shame on Team Gizka, and Dashus especially. Yes, dude, I am calling you out. Not that you'll ever read this, since you and your girlfriend simply have time for nothing else but machiattos and snuggling. And the fact that you simply do not visit the site, or care at all about it.

As for the forum, its moderators and my many net-buddies I have made here over the years... I am sorry that I could not keep my mouth shut any longer. I am sorry that you will have to lock or delete this or whatever, that I added another annoyance to this generally annoying forum. I know that some of you will view this as a betrayal in itself, but I want you to look a long minute at the history of this mod, and if you are still hot at me, pm me over at LF - qui_gon_glenn is the username, oddly enough. You won't see me here - I'm done with the Gizka. If the mod is ever released, I will download it and play it, for nostalgia's sake. The project itself is something I hold unnaturally dear... just the giant SW nerd inside me, I guess.

For the record, Dash, hate on me all you want, but in the real world I am your boss. I am the guy that is ten years older than you, has the position you want, and will fire you for work like this. If this project was a hobby for you, and hobbies generally being things you love, I'd be frightened to see the work you do that is simply just work...
Preserved for later generations.

There's some more people being fed up in the thread too. Looks like the worms are out of the can, and the cult is about to drop dead.
It is nice that you saved this post. I was pretty mad when I wrote this, and it did stir up a shitstorm on the TG forums. I had already moved on to LF for the most part by that point, as I was learning to mod myself and had been seeing the writing on the wall since the first time I tested the HK Factory.

It was all very serious business back then :lol:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh it definately was, but thankfully we eventually did get a proper restoration patch which was a very joyous occasion.

I was also particularly pissed about how things ended up at the time, since I too had waited quietly for quite a while before I started hearing rumours about how Dashus was running things behind the scenes.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Liberal said:
It will be out when it's done! The Team has been working hard this whole time to present you with free quality entertainment, and you should be grateful for that. Dashus said the mod will definitely be complete on its own time, so you should just down, relax and be patient.
Oh, I am awesome. :lol:
Yes I am. :salute:

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Uh....

I have the latest version of the un-poisoned mod of TSLRP.

For the morbidly curious, I will share. There are parts of that mod that still surpass anything TSLRCM has done; if Dashus wasn't busy with all of his girlfriends in the greater Niagara Falls area it would have been pretty great.

:smug:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm interested, i stopped my last KotOR II playthrough mid-game and couldn't get back to it (maybe because i replayed KotOR I first, might have been too much ), i also regret installing some mods like the jedi temple; hiking simulator with free high level crystals, worst mod i ever tried for the series; might be a good idea to start over sometime this year.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Bao-Dur's training, for one.

I will attach the mod to a post tonight when I get done with work.

Given that I've got no will to play through Kotor 2 once again, is there any chance you could explain\make a list with explanation of the different and better sections of TSLRP?

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
The main difference is that TSLRP isn't finished. It breaks the game in certain points, and the HK Factory (that was Dashus' baby) was never touched at all, so you cannot complete the game if you go there.

The differences are subtle, and some of them have been "included" (new version or working version of the same ideas) over time to the RCM -- DStoney and I have been friends since the beginning of this nonsense and I gave him the mod years ago to do with as he saw fit.

So, in short; no, I cannot satisfy that question in words.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I'm interested, i stopped my last KotOR II playthrough mid-game and couldn't get back to it (maybe because i replayed KotOR I first, might have been too much ), i also regret installing some mods like the jedi temple; hiking simulator with free high level crystals, worst mod i ever tried for the series; might be a good idea to start over sometime this year.
I still think it's best to play the game without any mods, not even TSLRCM. It adds way too many stretches of useless content consisting of waves of enemies being thrown at you. Why they thought it was a good idea to add more of what the game does worst is beyond comprehension. The only decent additions are to the endgame, but in my opinion the flaws with those additions outweigh the benefits.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
The Battle of Telos is much better done in TSLRCM. The final confrontation with the Jedi Masters is much better, especially re: Kreia. Compared to vanilla, these things alone make the mod quite valuable to me.

Yes, the HK Factory is combat heavy. Also totally optional.

The ending is still underwhelming IMO. A mod was planned for that, and much progress was made but ultimately died on the vine. There is a possibility it will be picked up again, but this game is fucking old and the motivation for these sorts of projects has waned mightily in the community.

It's your game, play how you want. As for shitty combat and too much of it - that's something that never occurred to me. I cheat my way through the game like a Jedi Captain Kirk.

Deleted member 7219

The Battle of Telos is much better done in TSLRCM. The final confrontation with the Jedi Masters is much better, especially re: Kreia. Compared to vanilla, these things alone make the mod quite valuable to me.

Not quite. If you ask HK about the factory you are forced to go there. It isn't an obvious thing you can avoid.

The ending is still underwhelming IMO..

The conversation with Atris immediately before you go to Malachor V is pretty good. The added Ebon Hawk dialogue with your companions is good too. But I think Malachor V itself could have used a bit more companion dialogue... just a little bit of exposition, maybe, before you run down all those corridors fighting monsters on your own.

Other than that the ending is pretty good. It ends on such a massive cliffhanger though. Criminal that it didn't get a true sequel.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
The final confrontation with the Jedi Masters is much better, especially re: Kreia. Compared to vanilla, these things alone make the mod quite valuable to me.

I don't agree with this. The "restored" version of Kreia's confrontation with the masters has always felt much more awkward than the original version. As far as I know there was no intention to switch the order so that Kreia gives her speech to the masters while they are alive rather than after they've been struck down. It works better as a kind of soliloquy. The insertion of Visas is an improvement, but again, in my opinion the benefit of that is outweighed by the awkwardness added to the rest of the scene.

Out of curiosity how does this scene play in TSLRP?

The ending is still underwhelming IMO. A mod was planned for that, and much progress was made but ultimately died on the vine. There is a possibility it will be picked up again, but this game is fucking old and the motivation for these sorts of projects has waned mightily in the community.

It's your game, play how you want. As for shitty combat and too much of it - that's something that never occurred to me. I cheat my way through the game like a Jedi Captain Kirk.

I was more thinking of the stretch of combat on Nar Shadda where you're forced to take control of your companions and fight off hordes of bounty hunters. That is required unlike the HK Factory. It just feels like a chore. Also, from what I've read the whole Nar Shadda sequence underwent a few revisions so it's not even clear to me why this was a priority to restore.

The HK Factory does have a lot of great dialogue, but it just feels out of place. The changes to Malachor are generally good, though in the last version of the mod I played there was an AWFUL dialogue with Mandalore that just should not have been there.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I was speaking about TSLRP, not RCM - the original restoration was better IMO than what we have in RCM (which is what you have played).

In HK Factory in TSLRP, dialog isn't there mostly because the triggers and waypoints either don't exist or are not functioning properly - it is essentially in the same state it was when ripped from XBox files.

It has been some time.... Since I played TSLRP. I worked too late last night to upload an attachment and will try to do so this time around.

Malachi

Liturgist
Despite lurking on the TSLRP forums back in the day when people thought they might someday deliver (giggle), I totally missed this epic thread. In before retardo.
:martini:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom