Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kult

hexer

I'm definitively interested but how would an online game work?
I'm not doing too good with free time because of my new job and moving to another country.
I could spend about 30 minutes each day during work days but more during the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I would only be down for a proper 3-4 hour session over discord with mics, blackjack, and hookers. I have zero experience with play by post. Roll20 has KULT character sheets so it should be easy enough to use that for the actual game/rolling interface.

Silva

Arcane
Discord, Google Hangouts, there's a lot of tools for playing online. I never used roll20 but it seems easy enough to begin. Though I also wouldn't have a problem in having my charsheet in paper in front of me either.

...BTW, charsheet my ass. PLAYBOOKS!

Silva

Arcane
By your responses, sunday looks like a good day.

Lithium, if you're GMing I suggest reading the GM chapter of the book. It gives some cool advice on how setup a game based on the PCs Dark Secrets that seems interesting. Other than that, a leaf through of Black Madonna and that collection of short adventures could also provide ideas. No pressure though. Take your time and the method you like best.

FritzedProcess , stop hiding you faggot.

Yeah I think tone/composition of the game should be decided in discord after we finalize our roster.

I will give it a day for people to respond and then send out a link to a discord server.

By your responses, sunday looks like a good day.

Lithium, if you're GMing I suggest reading the GM chapter of the book. It gives some cool advice on how setup a game based on the PCs Dark Secrets that seems interesting. Other than that, a leaf through of Black Madonna and that collection of short adventures could also provide ideas. No pressure though. Take your time and the method you like best.

FritzedProcess , stop hiding you faggot.
In principle I'd be up for a game, but I don't have a lot of time on weekdays. I'd have Friday night (say, after 23:00) through Saturday morning (Central European Time) available, although I'll probably crash by 6:00, or if we aren't playing throughout the night, I can get up early (8:00 or thereabouts) and be available until 13:30.

In an unrelated note, I got my copy of Eclipse Phase 2nd edition yesterday, I'll post a review when I have the time to read it thoroughly.

Silva

Arcane
How do you feel about using real world locations and events?

Say, playing in Iraq during the ISIS takeover amid local militias and foreign troops, where ISIS is in truth a facade for a kult to Harep-Serap the Death Angel of Conflict and the PCs are... say... the Kurdish war orphan seeking revenge, the Russian spetsnaz seeking intel, and the Morrocan hitman seeking money?
(not suggesting we play exactly this, just brainstorming here)

Potentially disrespectful to the real counterparts? Cool as fuck? Meh?

Last edited:
Sent the PM sometime ago. In the meantime I've been watching Redmoon Roleplaying play Kult. This is my favorite actual play so far:

These actual plays are very well edited such that there is very little time wasted on banter and OOC talk; they are more like a radio play than a recorded session. Highly recommended.

How do you feel about using real world locations and events?

Say, playing in Iraq during the ISIS takeover amid local militias and foreign troops, where ISIS is in truth a facade for a kult to Harep-Serap the Death Angel of Conflict and the PCs are... say... the Kurdish war orphan seeking revenge, the Russian spetsnaz seeking intel, and the Morrocan hitman seeking money?
(not suggesting we play exactly this, just brainstorming here)

Potentially disrespectful to the real counterparts? Cool as fuck? Meh?

Don't really have a strong opinion about this besides that the challenge of running a real city somewhat authentically is the most intimidating part of GMing a contemporary setting for me personally.

I've thought of a simple solution that both sidesteps this and gives room for collaborative worldbuilding which is otherwise kind of limited in Kult compared to other PBTA games:

Invented cities. A group might discuss top inspirations, population size, overall feel, famous landmarks etc during session zero to customize their own imaginary urban hellhole. Then local cults, organizations, and factions could be similarly invented by the party at large (with it perhaps being a mystery which higher power each represents) or examples from the book can be thrown in as well. Nice thing about modern cities is that they are, for the lack of a better time, fuckhuge - players aren't going to be dealing with all of the factions all of the time so important powers, individuals, and organizations can be introduced gradually.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, invented cities is also a good option, for the reasons you cited (and it gels more with PbtA ethos if collaborative world-building). Though I also think real world cities and events bring a certain feeling of... groundness (is this the term?) that meshes well with horror games like Kult, Delta Green, Unknown Armies, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

And some crazy unreleated idea that came to mind:

What if the discovery of a 13th planet in the solar system brought about a mass hysteria not due to vestiges of alien existence like we always thought, but because we find out the planet is actually a prop or placeholder like that fake sea in The Truman's Show ending? Meaning our jailers and the Demiurge never really finished the scenario assuming we would never get there and now we found the planet is like a huge painting in a wall.

hello friend

Arcane
What if the discovery of a 13th planet in the solar system brought about a mass hysteria not due to vestiges of alien existence like we always thought, but because we find out the planet is actually a prop or placeholder like that fake sea in The Truman's Show ending? Meaning our jailers and the Demiurge never really finished the scenario assuming we would never get there and now we found the planet is like a huge painting in a wall.

I like this idea

The oneshot went incredibly well. Although I was only able to play with Hello Friend and one other player from my previous campaigns, the story came together very well in play with virtually no planning on my part. I decided to go for the improv sandbox instead of a scenario for the oneshot and that was definitely the right call.

In terms of mechanics, though, I decided not to utilize the disadvantage moves and instead just utilized every single disadvantage/dark secret as a story element. This worked very well (bearing in mind that I an an experienced Apocalypse World GM - newcomers should probably stick to the mechanics closely) but for the campaign I would definitely keep track of GM hold etc.

Might write a proper after action report later but TL;DR: stuck to subtle Lynchian horror to unnerve the sleeper characters; ended with a bit of politicking between a Principle and a Death Angel that the PCs were unwitting participants in; ultimately Gnosis was not achieved as the protagonists were squeamish about partaking in transgression. Oh well, they will forget their time in Inferno...eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom