Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Reason why he's at Malaysia, Larian will be opening a studio there:

It will have teams for art, programming, and QA. No local logo yet.

edit: https://gamersantai.com/larian-stud...mencari-bakat-tempatan-untuk-membantu-mereka/

Google Translate:

Larian Studios with the help of the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), officially opened a studio in Malaysia. The studio was officially launched internally during the LEVEL UP KL BIZ 2019 event with the presence of Swen Vincke, Larian Studios founder, Hasnul Hadi Samsudin, Director of MDEC's Creative Content & Technology Division, and a host of industry-recognized guests. For those looking to make a career in the video game industry, HQ Larian Studios in Malaysia is looking for people.

Belgium-based video game development company, Larian Studios, considers Malaysia the most sought after location for the gaming industry as it announces their expansion into Southeast Asia. They will embark on this venture in Malaysia with plans to engage local talent and engage them in various game development projects.

Newly established studios in Malaysia will focus on the development of entertainment content worldwide. Studios in Malaysia will be the hub for regional visual production in the region in an effort to strengthen their partnerships with key partners in neighboring countries and build a global art production organization.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
They pretty much are already. Expanding too fast and too much can also mean that the entire thing will fall apart the second they fail at anything, though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, they already have more than 200 employees. It's on the big side for an independent AAA studio, especially considering they supposedly working on only one game (in addition to updates to D:OS 2).

Xeon

Augur
They are still working on DOS2? I thought they released an EE or something and that was the final update.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://kakuchopurei.com/2019/11/07...-of-malaysian-devs-to-work-on-baldurs-gate-3/

In our interview with him, we asked him the question playing in everyone’s mind right after the announcement was made: Why Malaysia?

Sven told us that he’s been looking for an Eastern office for a while now and he first came to Malaysia all the back in January of this year. Two of the big factors in making Malaysia an attractive place to set up shop for Larian is that :

i) Malaysians have good English fluency and,
ii) it’s around 7 hours away geographically from their Belgium studio which would allow for great workload transfer.

“Back when we were a young studio and struggling, there was a lot of crunch. Now that we’ve grown older and have our own families, I don’t want that becoming a part of our lives anymore. So we set up studios around the world to allow us to continue developing our games while minimising crunch.”
– Swen Vincke, founder of Larian Studios.

For those of you who have the skills and interest to work with these legends, just head on over to the Larian Studios official website and you’ll find “Kuala Lumpur” under the Careers tab. They’re even looking for a full-time game tester. Apply now!

(Well of course there would be unspoken reasons like cheaper costs and probably support from the local government.)

They are still working on DOS2? I thought they released an EE or something and that was the final update.

Well for some reason they decided to to more with it. (Free DLCs, Switch version, possibly new content made by Polish studios.) Look at the D:OS 2 thread or announcements on the Steam page.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EIvS93PUwAUpsXS

Ironic that the art outsourcing studio is the one without a unique logo.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Gameinformer interview on his career in general, originally appeared in November issue of the magazine: https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...-vincke-talks-the-long-road-of-larian-studios

"Now we’re super lucky because ever since Original Sin, we’re free. So we can do whatever we want. It creates a whole bunch of other problems, but none as big as the ones we had before."

A Knight In Shining Armor – Swen Vincke Talks The Long Road Of Larian Studios

swen.jpg

Swen Vincke wasn’t always on top. From basic beginnings and a scrappy, dark path through the often tumultuous games industry, the founder of Larian Studios has gone from sneaking into trade shows to helming one of the most anticipated RPGs of all time with Baldur’s Gate 3. We spoke with Vincke about Larian’s tough climb to greatness.

Let’s begin at the beginning. How did you get into video games?

I got sick. I was also very active. I like basketball. It was at my communion. So, there was a big party, I went to the communion, and lo and behold, together with my cousin, I went and drank all the sips of champagne that the adults have at those. Guess who fell down with the kissing disease a couple of days later? I had a really bad case of mononucleosis, so I was stuck at home.

Somebody took pity on me and gave me his ZX81, which was a 1K computer. I was bored like hell and I was also sick like hell. I picked up … there was a yellow book – I will never forget it – which was Basic, how to program. Since I went to the arcades, I said, “Well, why don’t I make a game in this Basic thing? Let’s see if I can do that.” And so I made my first game.

What was it?

My father was a big-game hunter. I was trying to make a hunting simulator, because he was never home. I wanted to make a game about hunting for him. That was my very first thing, and the second game was a skiing game, because that was easy to do. I then went to the Commodore 64, then Amiga, then PC. I studied programming. I don’t know if you remember a game called Empire. It’s like the granddaddy of turn-based strategy games, and you basically had cities. You could earn resources and create units, and it was randomly generated.

beyond_divinity.jpg

Okay, what happened next?

I traveled to ECTS, which was like a European version of E3. This was in the ’90s, beginning of the ’90s. I bluffed myself in because it was an industry-only event. I had my copies with me and I got an appointment with Atari, which was back then making the Jaguar. They were getting into PC games also. I talked to them. When I walked out of there, I was so nervous, I vomited, but I had the promise of a contract.

A contract right out of the gates?

That contract fell through, and then came a very tough period, where we basically tried to negotiate with all kinds of American publishers and essentially abuse people’s phone lines, because ours had been cut off because we didn’t have any money. We talked to New World Computing, 3DO. We had this little RPG that we were making. At some point, we realized that we have to get some pedigree because nobody took us seriously. We said, “Well, why don’t we make a very small RTS?” This was a time when everybody was making RTS. Yeah, which was easy. “We’ll work on the RTS in the evening and work on the RPG during the day.” We were too ambitious, but we made the RTS. That’s how we actually started in '96, '97.

And then?

We had the RPG. It’s a formula which is going to sound very familiar to you. You have a party of different characters that you can disconnect from each other, you can play multiplayer, you can go wherever you want in the world – Ultima V mixed with real-time combat. That became very popular. Well, a lot of things went back to Atari back then, especially if you were in Europe. They saw the game was in development. I mean – I’m not gonna say it was doing fantastic in development. They went to E3, I think it was ’98, and came back and said we have to redo everything. I said, “Why do we have to redo everything?” And they said, “Well, we saw Diablo. We would like to put the story in another universe.”

We started doing it, and they sent their developers to us to help us with the production values. What we didn’t realize is that all the games that they had released were flopping; there was no more money coming into the other side. They said, “Well, we don’t have any money to pay you.” Eventually we got rid of them, and we rebranded [the game]. This is how the first Divinity got born. We signed with another German publisher called CDV, which said the name of the game was Divine Divinity, but I thought they were joking. I thought it was a typo, but I didn’t want to change anything anymore. The marketing departments said this was because alliteration sells well and they had just made a game Sudden Strike. I said, “You’ve gotta be kidding.” But they were not kidding.

I always wondered how it got that name.

Then came the good times. We had money and a publisher that believed in us. We got a new office, everybody was getting paid, the debts were being paid. This was ’99, and the game was supposed to ship in 2001. Suddenly a producer shows up, and says, “I’m here to see if we’re going to cancel the game.” We were far from ready, and I wrote a letter detailing why it was a bad idea to release the game now – it needed six more months, yet it released without us even knowing. I found out about it on a press tour.

We had a really hard time. We were at 30 people, and we had to drop to three people. My nights and days were basically heating up the office and fixing peoples’ save games. It was a horrible time. At the end of 2002 I wanted to quit because I didn’t know what to do anymore. Eventually a bunch of the team got back together, we were 10-11 people and started making Beyond Divinity, with the intent to distribute ourselves. We brought it to market – it was not our best game – but it brought in money.

dos2-landscape-keyart.png

How were you even surviving at this point?

Work-for-hire allowed us to survive to the point to look for a publishing deal, but we hated it. We really didn’t like it because we were making really stupid things. Such as these things go, it’s a vicious spiral. We started doing work-for-hire again, and we were lucky. We convinced a major broadcaster in Belgium to give us a lot of money for what the broadcaster thought was going to be a website, but was actually going to be an online game for kids. It had a unique format, sort of like an American Idol for kids. Kids could make movies, animations, cartoons, and dances in the 3D world, send it to the broadcaster, and then the broadcaster showed it on TV. It was innovative back in the day, and we won awards for it, sold it to the BBC, and sold it to several other broadcasters.

We said, “Why don’t we do a big RPG, but this time we fund it ourselves or as much as we can so that we retain control of the IP?” We didn’t have enough money to do all of it. We needed a publisher. We entered into what is known as a cool publishing deal, except I was still naïve back then. We tried to make a game about a dragon that could fly anywhere and land anywhere. We struggled through that and we found another publisher to help us publish this game. We signed it in 2007. It was supposed to come out in 2008. And then the [financial] crisis hits. This publisher suddenly found itself in incredible financial stress, because they had to make all of their money with games like My Little Pony. All that stuff didn’t sell so they were taking tremendous financial hits. They did what a publisher does in those circumstances; they release a game too early. When [Divinity II: Ego Draconis] came to market it wasn’t ready. It got s--- reviews. Almost killed us. Really dark period for the studio.

Coming off of that dark period, how did you regroup?

I asked myself, “What’s the stuff that we’re doing wrong? What is the stuff that we’re doing right?” We need to be in control of ourselves, we don’t work with other people because we iterate too much. We want to change it because we like what we’re playing. If it doesn’t feel right, we change it. It’s why we’re always late with everything we do – that was not the norm back then. Back then when you go to a game convention, it was all about how to better project manage. How to have the right production planning and stuff like that. How to check your boxes. The only words that were not mentioned in all those talks were the games! That just did not work, because we did it out of passion.

Well this is the part where the story becomes good. We said, “We’re going to take everything in our own hands; we’re going to make our own engine, and then make sure that we have our own publishing team, and we do everything ourselves.” That was the thing that we needed to do. Out of Divinity: Original Sin came Divinity: Original Sin II, and out of that came Baldur’s Gate 3. All with our own tech, our own team, publishing ourselves, putting us back in touch with our community, which we had lost with all those publishers. It allowed us to do what we wanted. We literally talk to the players on what they think sucks. [They] help us fix it. And this was a step that no publisher wanted to make.

baldursgateiiilogo.png

So how did Baldur’s Gate happen out of this?

I wanted to license an RPG system, preferably D&D, preferably Baldur’s Gate. I got in touch with them through somebody I knew from the industry. They put me in touch with Nate Stewart, who was the head of D&D, and so I got kind of an exam. Like, “What will you do with it?”

I was like, “I’m the perfect guy to make it.” And [then there was] nothing. But we kept bumping into each other at every trade show.

Eventually he calls me and says, “Do you still want to do this?” And I said, “Yes!” He invited me to downtown Seattle and in a shady bar he presented to me the full map for Baldur’s Gate 3. It was pretty much everything we had talked about. A couple of weeks later he called me and they said yes. So we needed to present them with a design document as we were making Divinity: Original Sin II.

This whole tale is fascinating. It’s like a fairy tale story of a game studio.

It wasn’t a fairy tale when you were in it. I can tell you that. [laughs]

What was the biggest challenge in going your own way with Divinity: Original Sin?

It’s a mundane answer, but the money. I mean, it’s the fuel that drives development. The challenge for me personally, I’m a creative guy, is without the money you can’t do anything. Balancing your time against finding money to make your games, convincing people and then afterwards doing your thing and trying to keep them away so that they leave you alone to make your thing.

That takes all the time and effort. It’s negative energy. I don’t know how to make a game other than iterating. I just don’t know. I think you have to make it multiple times before you can actually figure out what the game is. Only then can you actually make it good. That doesn’t fit with an accountant out there. People still compare making games to making a house, but that’s a ridiculous comparison. It doesn’t work, and that’s always been the challenge. Now we’re super lucky because ever since Original Sin, we’re free. So we can do whatever we want. It creates a whole bunch of other problems, but none as big as the ones we had before.

So what was one of the biggest changes you made to Divinity: Original Sin during production?

It used to be a real-time game. We made it turn-based. I see that Yakuza has been taking from our book. [laughs]

I asked myself, “What are we doing? We’re making a real-time game because they told us.” Publishers told us that there’s no way you’re going to get your distribution deals if it’s turn-based. It needs to be real-time, blah, blah, blah. We’ve been conditioned into thinking real-time. I was in the shower, I was like, “What are we doing? We’re gonna be competing with Blizzard making an action RPG? We can’t compete with Blizzard, we don’t have the resources. But no one is making turn-based RPGs anymore. So maybe that’s where we should be going.” And that was a really good move.

Did you ever think you wanted to do something other than make games?

Actually, yes. Originally, I wanted to do artificial intelligence, I actually spent quite some time working on voice recognition. That was my original passion. But the video games that I made for my friends, I took so much joy from seeing them have fun with it. To this day, this is why I love PAX. I love sitting at the booth and seeing people play my games. I tend to only look at the negatives of the things that are not working, but I take a lot of joy from them playing.

For Baldur’s Gate 3, how do you encapsulate the entire Dungeons & Dragons system in a video game? Where do you even begin?

It’s really how do we capture the books, the rule system, the feeling you have at the table in a video game, and how do we do that without alienating people that have never played D&D in their lives. Mixing that, I think we found it. You guys will have to judge. You can’t make a game without taking creative risks. You can, but then you’re just making the same game. We’ve taken a lot of creative risks, more than people will expect, I think, considering the amount of money we’re throwing at it.

larianlogo_red.png

For instance, in Divinity: Original Sin II, you can do almost anything. How do you build a ruleset that can handle all that?

We try to be very consistent about it. “Systemic” is the in-house word. If it’s not systemic, it doesn’t go in. Basically, we learned this over time, one of the errors that we made in our early games was we were so focused on getting the money that we were puting the systems in there as gimmicks so that we were going to convince people to put money into the games, right? We learned that if you put something in a game, it has to be consistent throughout the game, something that you can always use. If you can’t, you shouldn’t put it in there. We’ve gotten better at it over time because one of the criticisms was always [that] we were very ambitious, but [the games were] badly executed. What people start discovering in D:OS, we just make those systems work always. Whenever we put in a new system it has to work with the existing systems, and if you make those complete, you get stuff like this. That’s where the beauty comes from.

One of the developers came to me and was like, “I’m playing with my buddy, and I’m doing the exact opposite of everything he wants to do.” He said, like, “[The other player] is gonna ruin the game.” I told him, “Don’t worry about it. This game has got you covered.”

So why multiplayer?

Where I was born, nobody had a computer. Nobody played D&D, but this was one thing that interested me. My first fantasy books were D&D, Dragonlance, after The Lord of the Rings. They were hidden in an obscure corner in the library. Nobody was really into it, not as much as you guys have over here. I always wanted to play pen and paper. I always wanted to play D&D. When I discovered RPGs, I said, “Well, this is how you should be playing those things, but at a computer and you can play with other people elsewhere.”

Being able to play with your friends has always been a big thing. Pretty much all my early experiments were split screen. The strategy games I made were turn-based that you played with different people. I didn’t have an A.I. actually. It was very natural to do it like this, and to be able to do it online.

So why did you remake the final act of Divinity: Original Sin II?

Because that was the main criticism. It’s become part of the DNA of the studio. We are so engaged with the community from Early Access already, it’s natural to continue doing it. We look at what players like and what they don’t like. We look at where they’re blocked, and then we try to fix it. It’s just part of making it. The idea behind that is like, “Sorry for you, maybe you didn’t have the best experience, but I hope you had a lot of fun.” Maybe the next person doesn’t necessarily have to have the same experience that you had, we can still fix this, especially with how much love the game was getting and how much money it was making, it felt wrong to leave it like that.

This article originally appeared in the November 2019 issue of Game Informer. To see why we love Larian Studios, read our review of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Being crowded:

In other news Michael the Birdman simulated BG3 combat using his subordinate PR Manager:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another interview from Malaysia, this time with Quebec offices's QA producer, mostly about hiring and QA process:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview by IGN Southeast Asia: https://sea.ign.com/baldurs-gate-ii...malaysia-and-the-complexity-of-baldurs-gate-3

Larian Studios: New Studio in Malaysia and The Complexity of Baldur's Gate 3
Larian Studios' Swen Vincke talks about the establishment of Larian Studios in Malaysia, the joy of releasing Divinity: Original Sin 2 on almost all platforms and making the highly anticipated Baldur's Gate 3.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 may have been released back in 2017 but its presence is still strong among players. Now, Larian Studios takes on a new twist for the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3, which is the third installation of the celebrated Dungeon & Dragons video game series that is going to be released soon.

During the recent Level Up KL gaming conference, Larian Studios' CEO Swen Vincke was invited as the keynote speaker who spoke about his tumultuous journey as the founder of a Belgium-based indie game studio: from dealing with bankrupt publishers to creating and perfecting the Divinity games.

Malaysian gaming portal My Game On (MGO) caught up with Swen Vincke about the establishment of Larian Studios in Malaysia, the joy of releasing Divinity: Original Sin 2 on almost all platforms and making the highly anticipated Baldur's Gate 3.

Note: The interview is edited for clarity and brevity.

Why did you choose Malaysia to establish the 5th Larian Studios?

Swen Vincke: Malaysia came to the top of our list for a bunch of reasons actually. The first reason is the location because of the six-hour time zone difference from Belgium, five hours from Russia, seven from Dublin and it's a similar thing with what we do with Quebec that allows us to do a 24-hour cycle. We pass work between our studios from Russia all the way to Canada, which we have covered for 17 hours. The thing that we're still missing is that some hours in the East. So, that's why we started looking for studios in the East.

Malaysians speak English very well. That's also important because we're a very diverse company with lots of different cultures and languages. English is THE language that we speak and we need to be able to communicate fluently.

It turns out there is a presence of a big talent pool where you have a lot of artists, programmers that are on the rise so that makes a lot of sense. There is also a lot of government support that you guys are very lucky with them, I have to say. On top of it, there are a lot of RPG fans so we put it all together. That's literally the perfect ingredients for us.

What's the main focus of Larian Studios in Malaysia?

Swen: It's to help with the development cycle. We've organised in a way that when we start working in one studio and then we can pass it to another studio so we don't have to work like madmen 20 hours a day.

We did this for Divinity: Original Sin 2, which we made in two years. For such a large RPG, it's unheard of. This had to do with the fact that we can send the work to Canada. So, I can go to sleep while the team in Canada is working further on the game but when I woke up in the morning, a lot of work is already done.

The game we're making, Baldur's Gate 3, is an insanely big game. It's super complex for us to develop for the players and it's a really complex game to make. Given the size of it, we all need the help we can get to make it.

In a way, it gives time for the developers to rest and not to be involved in a lot of crunch?

Swen: Yes. This certainly can reduce the crunch time. We don't plan for any crunch. Hopefully, the only crunch we see is because if something is wrong or something that we can't foresee. Crunch is not sustainable in the long run. The games that we make are really, really complex so we need to be able to think about it carefully.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 turned out to be a huge success. Based on your keynote speech in Level Up KL, you've gone through many challenges. How does it feel after 23 years in the industry?

Swen: It feels very rewarding, of course. Divinity: Original Sin has the ingredients of a story from Act 1, Act 2, Act 3, so forth and you know there's like a turning point. In a sense, it almost like a fairytale. It feels good. I mean, I always felt we could've done it sooner but at the same time, we would have not learned the lessons we encountered back then so that helps us going forward.

But we're very realistic about going into the future. I hope that we do not, please, (laughs) screw up the next one. We're going to do our best not to do that.

You're one of the developers that are open to releasing games on almost every platform. In Divinity: Original Sin 2, you can play in PC, PS4, Xbox One, Mac and even Switch with the cross-save function. This tradition seems to continue in upcoming games like Baldur's Gate 3 that will be released on Google Stadia. Why is that?

Swen: Because we have a game. We are present in a lot of game conventions because I like to meet our players and see how they react to the early version of the game. One of the things that always struck me is friends taking other friends to play Divinity: Original Sin 2 and that friend played it and said, "Damn I like this. I wanna buy this."

This has always been the biggest problem that we have because our gameplay is actually quite accessible but you have to try it because a lot of people are afraid of the fact because it's a turn-based game and there's a character development system that is normal in RPG.

When they try it and they said, "Hey, I can actually play this." Then, they discover the game's rewards and how the game reacts in a way that they expected to react. So, I figure the more platforms we're on, the higher the chances we have to catch the player.

With something like Stadia, I think it's perfect because what it will do is that I can send you a link, you click it and you can start to play and you're in my game right away. That's a very powerful conversion tool. If I can get many people to click on the link and they try it out, then I can probably expand my player base, which in turn allows us to make a bigger RPG.

The thing I love the most about the Divinity series is its versatility. You can play with other friends and you can play as a single-player or multiplayer. There's a lot to take in from the story, combat, characters and multiple RPG and strategy gameplay to tailor for each player. I'm curious about the period of perfecting the Divinity: Original Sin development.

Swen: We started out with the idea of how large we're going to be but we're always wrong. I mean with Baldur's Gate 3, we've made a lot of iterations but it's always the same mistake and it’s bigger than we expected. It's because we take things to the next level and decide many options like, "Wouldn't that be cool, wouldn't those be cool, yeah?" (laughs).

We try to reward exploration and experimentation for the players. That means we probably put an irrational amount of effort that only a few people will see but we think that would be really cool to see in the game. But the thing is that when the players discover that, it becomes a very big advocate for the game because I never expected that possibility. There's a lot of passion that goes into making this game obviously.

Can you reveal how many possibilities that could happen in each character for Divinity: Original Sin 2?

Swen: Oh, nobody knows. (laughs)

You mean nobody discovers it yet?

Swen: No, not even from our team. There are so many permutations because we have a system (our own game engine) where we make these things. We know that the system works and it will always allow you to finish the game somehow.

For the number of permutations, I think the best people know that are the QA people because they have to discover some of them. There are always different kinds of possibilities because the game has a lot of options. In that sense, it's like a pen-and-paper game. So, I don't know how many possibilities there are in the game.

Let's talk about Divinity: Fallen Heroes. I heard the development is on hold as of now. But can you tell us what are the unique key points you can say or differences compared to Divinity: Original Sin 2?

Swen: Fallen Heroes is a tactical game so it differs from normal RPG. We always figure that there would be a future for a game that combines Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin.

It's basically a mix between Dragon Commander and a tactical game where you can get your missions in between, make your choices and those choices give impact to the consequences. But it was more close to Original Sin in terms of open-world gameplay along with many possibilities.

This allows us to do things we couldn't do before. There's a price to be paid for all that freedom as the developer. It's more a concise experience and we have a lot of material to build. The game is currently on hold but it's not canceled.

So it's a spin-off game? Why not just go straight to Divinity: Original Sin 3?

Swen: (laughs) Yeah, it's a spin-off game. Well, we're making Baldur's Gate 3 so it's consuming all our efforts. It's not a simple game to make.

Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3 now and Baldur's Gate is such a beloved franchise. How are you going to live up with the fans' expectations?

Swen: I don't think we can live up to the expectations. I think that's impossible. Those expectations are soaring through to the roof. What we're doing is we're making our type of Dungeons & Dragons with a lot of love for what came before and with also putting our own stamp on it.

That's literally the only way we could approach it. We don't want to make a clone of Baldur's Gate 2. We want to make Baldur's Gate 3. It's based on the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons so there's a lot of stuff that I think that we're going to add into it. There are also innovations and things you haven't seen before but we'll never know which one the fans are going to like it or not. I hope the fans like it because we put a lot of effort into it.

Have you asked the previous developers BioWare and Interplay about making Baldur's Gate 3?

Swen: Well, the team who made previous Baldur's Gate games have spread around but we talked to a whole lot of them. We chatted with them about how to do it. We also talked to the people of Wizards of the Coast obviously since they're the owner of Dungeons & Dragons. So we came up with something that I think it's good. We'll see.

I'm fascinated by how you're able to translate tabletop gameplay to video games. Tabletop games are quite complex already. Will Baldur's Gate 3 has the gameplay mechanics similar to Divinity: Original Sin?

Swen: No, it's not the same as Divinity: Original Sin. It's very different at its core. For me, the biggest difference is probably the class-based gameplay. The similarity, however, is that both Divinity: Original Sin and Baldur's Gate 3 will try to give you a lot of player agency. You decide to do something. The Dungeon Master thinks and says, "Sure, roll D20". They just check and we'll see if it goes or not. That's the fun of it.

We're trying to do the same but in a video game, the game itself becomes the Dungeon Master. So we have to figure out upfront on what you're going to be doing, for example, in terms of stupidity and have the game world reacts to you. That's what we want to try. I think we have cool stuff in there.

As someone who has been in the game industry for more than 20 years, what are the things you wish you knew before joining the industry?

Swen: Oh God, I wish I would've known all the games publishing stuff that I know of now.

Do you have any advice for any indie studio who's still struggling to make a mark in this industry?

Swen: I talked to a lot of developers here (in Level Up KL). They shared their experiences with me and I instantly recognized the story, which is similar to ours such as they're stuck in a work for hire trap and they can't really make what they want.

In a way, you need to plan some sort of escape. It's like a prison break, you know (laughs). It takes a lot of energy and effort. If you can work with your own stuff, that's really rewarding. If you can control your own revenue, that's even better because it's the fuel you need to make new things. But it's not easy. We struggled 12 years to do it. So, it was a very complicated one.

Do you have any message to the fans who love Divinity: Original Sin 2 and can't wait to play Baldur's Gate 3?

Swen: Spread the words.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another inter-Swen-view from Malaysia:

The interviewer asked some good questions ('With BG3, how do you maintain Larian's identity while incorporating the legacy others built?') but met with the same old answers (basically, 'We convinced WotC because we're the chosen one.').

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Another inter-Swen-view from Malaysia:

The interviewer asked some good questions ('With BG3, how do you maintain Larian's identity while incorporating the legacy others built?') but met with the same old answers (basically, 'We convinced WotC because we're the chosen one.').

The thumbnail would have been perfect if he was holding a Nintendo Switch

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Headcount of Malaysia studio: https://www.digitalnewsasia.com/dig...al-games-development-industry-keeps-levelling

The studio is looking to hire at least 20 people by next year.

Going forward, Vincke says that the headcount will be grown organically, with them picking more talent as they progress. “I hope within a couple of years we’re going to reach 50 people,” he says, but adds that it depends on the success of their games. “But the trend is only going upwards.”

I guess, if BG3 succeed, they will expand like CDPR.

Vorark

Erudite
Reading the interview, couldn't help but compare Larian to Obsidian as both had their share of publisher trouble in the past and went the kickstarter route. In the aftermath, Larian managed to secure their freedom whereas Obsidian suffered from internal strife (which according to MCA had been going on for a while), bled talent, and ended up shackled to Microsoft.

BG3 seems to be a make or break kind of deal: what if it's a failure or underperforms? Can Larian easily bounce back? They have no one else at their backs and yet keep expanding... And what about Obsidian? Financial issues and job security worries may be a thing of the past if you consider the almost infinite resources Microsoft have at their disposal but at what cost? Will the studio be able to retain enough creative freedom down the road or be turned into a gamepass fodder developer or worse, go the way of Rare and Lionhead?

I wonder what the future holds for these two.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i feel like larian epxanded too big too fast. if BG3 flopped it will certainly be the end of them.

as for larian vs obsidian it's certainly alot of gamble that paid off with divinity original sin vs pillars of eternit

divinity OS is risky, innovative (turn based, heavily interactive environment with alot of combat affecting effects) basically their dream game (questionable design decision aside, which dont really matter in more casual non codexian players)

vs

pillars of eternity (admittedly derivative on purpose of banking baldur's gate 2 nostalgia but TOO different at the same time in term of mechanics that it put BG fanbase off)

that said larian's risky gamble paid off while obsidian's safe steps kinda stagnate

Carpalone

Novice
i feel like larian epxanded too big too fast. if BG3 flopped it will certainly be the end of them.

as for larian vs obsidian it's certainly alot of gamble that paid off with divinity original sin vs pillars of eternit

divinity OS is risky, innovative (turn based, heavily interactive environment with alot of combat affecting effects) basically their dream game (questionable design decision aside, which dont really matter in more casual non codexian players)

vs

pillars of eternity (admittedly derivative on purpose of banking baldur's gate 2 nostalgia but TOO different at the same time in term of mechanics that it put BG fanbase off)

that said larian's risky gamble paid off while obsidian's safe steps kinda stagnate

I thought Larian's goal was to expand so they could make the one RPG to dwarf them all?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lol I just thought that it will be hard for Swen to appease BG fans, but then I remember how Beth handled Fallout 3 and it still was a commercial success. So Swen can just say 'hey it's BG 3' and make it turn-based like Divinity OS, and it still will be a big success, but butthurt from BG fans will be glorious!

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
There is a lot riding on BG3.

Well, they are still pretty far away, with their 250 by then compared to Cd Projekts nearly 1000. And I don't see a turn based RPG selling more than a few million copies. So they won't grow as fast as they did.

Lol I just thought that it will be hard for Sven to appease BG fans, but then I remember how Beth handled Fallout 3 and it still was a commercial success. So Sven can just say 'hey it's BG 3' and make it turn-based like Divinity OS, and it still will be a big success, but butthurt from BG fans will be glorious!

Swen said in every single interview that he doesn't give a shit about the old Baldurs Gate games. He only needs DND license to sell a game to the people who either play DND or those who watch in streams. DND is now bigger than it was ever before, so now is the best time to cash in on the hype and that's excactly what Swen is going to do. It's obviously not Swen's passion project but he knows it's good way to make lots of money with desperate nerds who didn't get a proper DND game in over 10 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom