Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate III

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, May 30, 2019.

1. hexer Arcane

hexer
    I'm not even sure what's being discussed here anymore...
    If we're looking for the king, it's Pokemon!
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_RPG_games

Baldur's Gate was a popular 90s franchise.
    Ray Muzyka said in a 2005. interview both games sold over 5 million units.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071023215138/www.xboxgamers.com/index.php?do=viewarticle&id=1889

That was 14 years ago and without Enhanced Editions.

SteamSpy says Divinity franchise also sold millions and it's a popular 2010s RPG franchise.
    https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=divinity

There you go, every franchise was/is popular in its time.

To me this discussion looks like DOS fans are pissed because Larian is working on some 90s franchise sequel while they're waiting for DOS 3.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    They have a lot of people at the studio so DOS3 may be in the works already.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Father Foreskin Learned

Father Foreskin
    I hope Aerie is in the works so some nostalgiafag can get a hefty dish of shit again

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    What if Sawyer is a Martyr who sacrificed himself to end RTwP for good?

• Deus Vult x 4
    • Up Yours x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    A minor tweak I'd like to see is the option to obscure alignment.

Personally I'd sooner let personalities dictate how I feel towards a party member, rather than being told they're one thing or another.

Would also be nice to see folk of the same alignment conflict with each other. Just coz 2 chaotic good people meet doesn't mean they'll get on. Yes there's more scope for common ground, but its still not a given.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    lots of companions in BG1 of similar alignments didn't get along. Nobody really liked Tiax or Quayle at all iirc. Xan wasn't particularly well liked by anyone either.
    One of the most extensive pairings was Edwin and Alora -- their alignments are complete opposites.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    The order of magnitude of the success is completely different though.

Baldur's gate 1-2 were massive hits back in the day that dominated the conversation about western RPGs and is consistently rated as one of the best (if not the best) game ever in a multitude of lists to this day.

While DOS 2 was successful for Larian it is not even close to being among the top RPG franchises or releases in recent years. So DoS 2 sold 2 million? New Vegas sold almost 9 (a game made 18 months on a relatively small budget), fallout 4 sold 15, Skyrim and Witcher 30m+. The market is a shit-ton bigger these days.

2 million is obviously a massive success for a mid-sized company in a relatively niche genre these days, but not in terms of the overall market, even for RPGs (although it definitely is the biggest hit in the turn based RPG market).

Larian wants a more mainstream hit and therefore develops a game for one of the most beloved and well-known franchises in RPG history (d&d and baldurs gate). Why else would they pay the licensing fees?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    You're comparing the sales of a game that came out during early 2000, to one that came out 2014-2017. If you can't see the difference in games sold during that era, along with advertisement, digital distribution AND console, then I'm a slight bit worried. Baldur's Gate (especially II) had a much bigger impact than D:OS and D:OS2, and it reached a much higher acclaim.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    We already had this argument, and D:OS2 didn't release for console until late 2018, well after the first month of its release.
    This site has largely stuck its head in the sand with regards to how much acclaim DOS2 received, and how well it sold. It's like arguing with a brick wall -- because the consensus is the game is disliked here it must have done poorly.

^ Top  
  10. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    I'm not saying that D:OS and D:OS 2 didn't receive acclaim, and I'm not saying that they're bad games, but you can't honestly believe that D:OS has been more influential to the genre, or that it received more universal acclaim. It is a good game (some would even say great), but it's not a milestone for the genre, and I highly doubt it will be spoken about 20 years from now like Baldur's Gate is. It isn't a Diablo, Morrowind/Skyrim, Final Fantasy 7, Baldur's Gate, etc. As you can see with the examples of Final Fantasy 7 and Skyrim, receiving more acclaim doesn't translate to being a better game.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    You're right.
    Nobody will ever look back on D:OS2 and think "Wow, that game ruined the CRPG genre for 20 years with RTwP garbage."

• butthurt x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    Let me quote a post from you.

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Are you implying I'm wrong?

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    I'm implying that you are biased. You have your own personal opinion, and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    RTwP being garbage isn't a personal opinion, it's a fact.

• Brofist x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    Mark Twain (I'm not sure if he had the original) has a very good quote to describe my situation right now, so I'll leave it at that and follow his advice.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Games on consoles sell more copies(Less than 1 in 3 Witcher 3 copies sold were on PC.) and older games have had more time to sell copies especially as their price has dropped. Is there any other ground breaking revelation you want to inform me of?
    Also, the Witcher figure is bullshit. It includes all Witcher games, the first two you could pick up for less than a dollar for years now.

D:OS2 is one of the best selling PC RPGs of all time, even if it's essentially the youngest 'big hit'. How do I know? Steam had a data leak in 2018. D:OS2 had 1.7m copies sold on Steam -- with no EE, no price drop, less than a year after release, and barely any sales by this point.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/
    Go ahead, count the non-MMO RPGs ahead of it in copies sold. It's not a very long list, even shorter if you're a 'purist' who doesn't think games like the Borderlands series are RPGs.

^ Top  
  18. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Cipher

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Aside for the fact that the wording was stupid and sensationalist in the first place ("1 in 3 copies" is precisely what you would expect when a game released on THREE platforms) that information is also out of date.
    Just recently in their financial report CDPR pointed that lifetime sales of TW3 have the PC as the leading platform, with almost half (45%) of the total sales.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    You talk heresy here.

• No No x 4
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jedi Exile Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I wonder why Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3, and not Obsidian, which would be an 'obvious' choice.

• Disagree x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Course. Been a long time now since I played it, good to see my thinking is ahead of it's time.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    'Cause Larian made a very successful game followed by an incredible sales hit in a niche genre while Obsidian made a very successful game followed by 2 gigantic flops.
    And Feargus might've burned bridges at WotC.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Maybe devs have PTSD or bad experiences with WotC from the Black Hound and don't want to go through that again.

^ Top  
  25. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Infinitron since when do you openly dislike RTwP?

How are you going to maintain your rep as an Obsidian / PoE shill?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)