Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

hexer

Hmmm... some of my friends who dislike reflex-based gameplay also dislike RTwP.
Maybe there's a connection there... or maybe they want to take their sweet time planning every step.
I personally don't care, I like both TB and RTwP the same.

Mortmal

Arcane
I haven't seriously played DnD since 2nd edition, which is why I liked BGII so much (even though technically, it was a weird hybrid between 2nd and 3rd editions). Does anyone think 5th edition can/will survive a translation into a CRPG?

Also, I will never understand the Codex's love of arguably terrible Euro-jank games like Owlcat's most recent disappointment. At launch, the game was an objectively terrible, buggy, broken, poorly-translated fucking mess. I realize it has been subsequently improved but they should be the absolute last company to get their hands on any kind of DnD license.
Of course it can , it would work exactly the same way as Temple of elemental evil, except better ,as larian add environmental destruction and high ground give advanatage when firing arrows. D&D 5E surf on the raise of popularity of retroclones, its back to the root , fluid and elegant system, that's why its a lot more popular than 4E .People even drop pathfinder for it and they wont likely come back for pathfinder 2.0. Most popular module is still curse of strahd the very same thing published decades ago by Weiss and Hickman. They really just clean a bit of dust on the cover, its the same thing as playing 2E or becmi except less headaches.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
RTWP can be fun, look at Pathfinder and TB can be shit, look at D:OS2. It's not the system, its how you implement it.

In the case of BG3, if its indeed true that Larian is developing it, most people will assume that it's TB because they have a ready made engine to use, and it just makes sense to cut costs.... there is no grantee that it will be good tho.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I haven't seriously played DnD since 2nd edition, which is why I liked BGII so much (even though technically, it was a weird hybrid between 2nd and 3rd editions). Does anyone think 5th edition can/will survive a translation into a CRPG?

Also, I will never understand the Codex's love of arguably terrible Euro-jank games like Owlcat's most recent disappointment. At launch, the game was an objectively terrible, buggy, broken, poorly-translated fucking mess. I realize it has been subsequently improved but they should be the absolute last company to get their hands on any kind of DnD license.
Of course it can , it would work exactly the same way as Temple of elemental evil, except better ,as larian add environmental destruction and high ground give advanatage when firing arrows. D&D 5E surf on the raise of popularity of retroclones, its back to the root , fluid and elegant system, that's why its a lot more popular than 4E .People even drop pathfinder for it and they wont likely come back for pathfinder 2.0. Most popular module is still curse of strahd the very same thing published decades ago by Weiss and Hickman. They really just clean a bit of dust on the cover, its the same thing as playing 2E or becmi except less headaches.

This is interesting to hear, thanks. I didn't know 5E was so popular.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
RTWP can be fun, look at Pathfinder and TB can be shit, look at D:OS2. It's not the system, its how you implement it.

In the case of BG3, if its indeed true that Larian is developing it, most people will assume that it's TB because they have a ready made engine to use, and it just makes sense to cut costs.... there is no grantee that it will be good tho.

Adopting 5e for RtwP would require significant redesigns for it to play well with a wider audience (or we'll most likely end up with another "pause with real time" game like Deadfire) while a straight adoption of the system would work well.

Larian would have to be really brave(or stupid) to make this RtwP seeing the relative success of the respective genres, their own experience and the game system they are basing it on. 5e is very different from 2e.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Please let this be fake news. It's times like these I regret that the gaming industry is just that - an industry (out to make money first and foremost). They don't care that a BG3 is completely unnecessary in terms of plot ( as people have already pointed out, the series has one of the better endings a game series has ever had). It had a big, fat FULL STOP at the end. There's absolutely NO NEED to make a sequel, other than money.
FFS, just make an Arcanum 2 instead...

Codex Year of the Donut
Hmmm... some of my friends who dislike reflex-based gameplay also dislike RTwP.
Maybe there's a connection there... or maybe they want to take their sweet time planning every step.
I personally don't care, I like both TB and RTwP the same.
rtwp essentially becomes a bastardized form of turn-based gameplay at higher difficulties, there's nothing "real time" about it

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do you go from this

divinity-screenshot-10_12_2015-10_46_26-pm.png

To this

maxresdefault.jpg

entr0py

Scholar
Mark my words: This whole discussion about RTwP vs TB will prove to be completely pointless. The game will have a baseline/default TB mode which you will use for harder fights, and a quasi-realtime mode you can switch to utilizing AI and player scripts for easier/trash fights.

More to the point, Vancian casting or cooldowns? Limited resources per "adventuring day" or per-encounter abilities?

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Vancian mechanics only really work if the resting is logically restricted and time flows normally. If not, it becomes a thin excuse without any actual consequence or cost.

Since they will be aiming for mass popularity, and heavily relying on DoS games sales in figuring out what approach to take in that regard - you can bet they will choose whatever is easier for their version of "the players".

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
You're comparing the sales of a game that came out during early 2000, to one that came out 2014-2017. If you can't see the difference in games sold during that era, along with advertisement, digital distribution AND console, then I'm a slight bit worried. Baldur's Gate (especially II) had a much bigger impact than D:OS and D:OS2, and it reached a much higher acclaim.

Yeah, D:OS2 sold tons of units two years ago, Baldur's Gate sold tons of units twenty years ago. Who cares if BG was more successful in its own time? It's not 2001! The question is what's the size of the market right now. If Larian's planning to make a party-based top-down CRPG, they have very good reason to believe there's more appetite for turn-based than RTwP at this particular moment in time.

They have a formula that works. D:OS2 sold much better than D:OS, while POE2 sold much worse than POE. In the absence of the nostalgia boom, people kept coming back for more turn-based combat, while RTwP has had a very hard time even breaking 500,000 units. You can come up with all kinds of reasons why that case study shouldn't apply to the Baldur's Gate brand, but it sure seems like--all else equal--there's more demand for turn-based right now.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
How do you go from this
04ec8779fc3065db08c106d47479b42dfb829cf327899ccba632942a93c938f7_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

To this.
dos2_05.jpg
Oh wait, this looks great.

Get a more low res pic of Divine Divinity please. Divine Divinity is the better looking game, not to talk about the general artstyle direction which is actually interesting, compared to the staple post Warcraft 3 and WoW shiny, cartoony 3D bandwagon Larian jumped on.

ss_15c14380353e95621448a89a66dc919136afc17f.1920x1080.jpg

Compared

3293511-0002.jpg

I'm not a fan of either game, but Pillars of Eternity 2 looks incomparably better:

s7-06df96ab0d461873e864b801316dcf6f.jpg

D&D 5th edition is excellent. It has the feeling, fluency, and charm of 2nd edition without the frustrating limitations. It has enough of the customization of 3rd edition without the bloat. It's clean, light, and intuitive without losing options or flexibility. I've heard it described as "D&D's Greatest Hits", and I feel that description is very apt.

While I prefer RtWP, I don't believe it would be wise to do 5th edition that way. It worked very well for 3/3.5 Edition, but 5th leans very heavily on use of the "Reaction" mechanic. While some kind of equitable solution could be made, the scope of reactions makes it more prudent to just keep things turn-based. Doing otherwise would risk eliminating or bastardizing many important class features. I don't think it couldn't be done, but better not to tempt fate.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Larian is making this game because D:OS2 was the most successful, critically acclaimed and generally well received game among the recent wave of "CRPG Renaissance" titles.

Danlok

Novice
My biggest issue with this is the grid locked movement D:OS2 has; spells and AoE worked fine but you were stuck on a chess board. I prefer the ToEE systems for D&D, even if tile-based is closer to P&P

edit: Think I confused D:OS 2 with something else! I really did not care for D:OS 2 enough to remember it apparently

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom