Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG

Aemar

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastepoch/last-epoch

https://lastepochgame.com

Features
  • Offline and online multiplayer action
  • Time travel and high fantasy world
  • 5 base classes that advance into 15 powerful mastery classes
  • A deep skill system with augment trees for each skill
  • Engrossing loot and crafting system
  • Massive end-game content and replayability, trading, PvP, Cycles(seasons), Ladders, and Achievements
  • Epic storytelling, memorable characters and environments, voice acting, journals, and hidden secrets
Classes
You’ll pick between five base classes that each advance into one of three mastery classes that will unlock new and powerful abilities. Characters in Last Epoch all have a deep backstory, are visually distinct, and have access to exclusive skills that can each be customized with their own augment tree. This, combined with our passive grid system creates an ideal toolbox for building characters that play how you want them to, without sacrificing their identity.
last-epoch-class-wheel-800x800.png
Skill system
Your skills, more than anything else, is what determines the playstyle of your character. Unlike many games where you may use as many skills at a time as you have buttons for, we have elected to restrict players to having a maximum of five skills on their bar at any one time. While this may sound limiting, in practice this will result in a more engaging experience. When a Sorcerer chooses to place Meteor on their bar, this is a build defining decision that separates them from many other Sorcerers playing Last Epoch who have chosen different skills. Over the course of the game, your five skill slots will one by one gain the ability to augment the skills slotted into them by giving you access to the skill’s augment tree, unlocking a vast amount of customization potential. Every skill in Last Epoch will have its own fleshed out augment tree full of exciting ways to modify the skill for your playstyle, even offering unique branches only available to certain Mastery Classes!
859a0e4ce0e0e5f28ac619a386e6b8e3_original.gif
Passive grid system
With the Passive Grid system, you will be able to increase your character’s attributes and acquire special augments to your character. The Passive Grid of each class will have four lines on a grid, each line granting different stat increases such as increased health or increases to certain damage types. In addition to these stat lines, there will be augments with more impactful effects spread throughout the grid beyond these lines.

Each class will begin at the center of their Passive Grid, as you play you will gain the ability to advance along any of the four lines increasing your stats in your preferred manner. The true depth of the Passive Grid system is revealed once you elect to advance in multiple lines. Doing so creates a shape that connects the furthest points you have achieved along the stat lines, unlocking the various passive augments spread throughout the grid! The Passive Grid system allows for characters to have the opportunity to feel unique and tailored to your own playstyle - even for characters of similar builds and skills.

A rather interesting project that was also crowdfunded earlier this year, one of the few upcoming action rpgs that actually seems quite interesting. There's a downloadable demo (pre-alpha) on their site. The cheapest pre-release version of the game can be acquired for 10$. At launch the game will be free of charge until the player reaches level 20 (for example, Mount&Blade had a similar system prior to the final release). Afterwards, the game will be priced at 15$. Release date is set for April 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A rather interesting project that was also crowdfunded earlier this year
I can't believe they got 255k for a game that looks shittier than unity assets circa 2010.

Aemar

Arcane

Meanwhile a graphics overhaul has been implemented among other things, bringing the game somewhat closer to the Grim Dawn's visual level as far as I can tell. People are still complaining mainly about poor optimization, generic maps and the overall feeling of the combat. The game is still in alpha despite being presented as beta, yet the devs aim to leave early acces in April 2020, which by all accounts it will not happen. On the other hand people have praised the great skills customization system, each class so far having like distinct features and feel (not all the classes are present in the game yet), and the great number of builds possible due to the many mastery classes assigned for each path in combination with unique skills.

According to the devs, the game will cost 15 euros once it leaves early access.

Hyperion

Arcane
On the other hand people have praised the great skills customization system, each class so far having like distinct features and feel (not all the classes are present in the game yet),
The skill system is OK. It's a decent combination of PoE and D3, but you're never punished nearly as hard as PoE for choosing bad skill setups. The passive tree is kind of boring, and is mostly x% more damage with y skills. Fortunately, putting a certain number of points in each tree unlocks a new ability for you to dabble with.

Classes definitely have a unique look and feel to them - you're never left wondering if someone is a Soldier, or Primalist. Every class looks unique in armor just like d2.

Unfortunately the worst part of the game was combat. It feels just like Path of Exile: light, floaty, your attacks have no impact, and you're given a hard cap of the number of attacks you can use at any given time because you can only fit so many on your action bar. And the game forces move-only onto your left click button so you can't cheat and get another 1 like in PoE.

Last Epoch's main competitor, Wolcen, looks and feels great in comparison. And the passive wheel that you can turn, and mix and match passive trees is a bit more fun than Last Epoch's passive tree system. Like PoE's tree it has notables that might affect the way you build and / or play your character. Wolcen, however, currently has no content except Act 1, and a boring rift system, so forget buying it either.

This feels exactly like that period of the mid-late 2000's where everyone wanted to be the WoW-killer, but couldn't piece together a game that didn't suck without falling on their face right out of the gate because they tried to tick all the boxes WoW did instead of being their own game. I hope I'm wrong and they shape into something worth playing more than once for the novelty, if at all.

Aemar

Arcane
Last Epoch's main competitor, Wolcen, looks and feels great in comparison. And the passive wheel that you can turn, and mix and match passive trees is a bit more fun than Last Epoch's passive tree system. Like PoE's tree it has notables that might affect the way you build and / or play your character. Wolcen, however, currently has no content except Act 1, and a boring rift system, so forget buying it either.
Wolcen has been in early access for almost 4 years now, while Last Epoch was released earlier this year and, from what I can tell, Last Epoch devs have delivered more content and updates in 6 months than their competitors did in all these years since putting the EA version out. Last Epoch seems way more closer to release than Wolcen. Some people believe Wolcen is in delevopment hell and will remain there for quite some while.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/1612773506883501000

January 2020 for Wolcen, unless they delay it yet again in the next couple months. 3 Act story on release, if based on the most recent Act 1 that I just finished will be ~15 - 20 hours. Maybe 10 - 15 depending on how things play out. Completing Act 1 showed me they're even aping D2's 3 Greater Evils trope. I believe they're aiming for 5 acts, so you have to imagine with only 3 Acts we're basically going to end on killing Mephisto, unless they skip out on the Duriel equivalent.

They claim multiple forms of endgame like a Rift system, bounty system, and some multiplayer challenge system that will reward based on individual and team performance, not unlike MMO Battlegrounds statistics (damage done / received, healing done, deaths etc) with enemies meant to fuck with certain builds and archetypes to encourage party building, and a bit of a focus on the typical Trinity (Tank, Heal, DPS) system.

The biggest complaint with the most recent build of the game is the skill system is too restrictive. All spells require a staff or caster off-hand, and then attacks are either generic 'melee,' or 'dagger, gun, bow,' so there's no longer hybrid fighter / caster builds. The community has been pretty vocal about it, so here's to hoping for them to listen.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Huh. So it'd be cheaper to wait than be an early adopter who took a bigger risk buying the game when it wasn't ready yet.
They're aping PoE's supporter pack system + $15 buy-in to boot. I believe they said they're making the first couple of chapters and capping a character at 20 for free accounts, but after that you gotta shell out the buxxx.

https://lastepochgame.com/supporters/

$35 is the cheapest beta buy-in, so it's $15 for your game, and then a forced $20 for points, the soundtrack (which was fucking bland), and an in-game pet. PoE at least put a decent amount of effort into their supporter packs. These ones are fucking trash.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally tried this and it's p good. Last time I played was some alpha built and it was shit. The combat feels much better now and there is a lot of class/skill variety thanks to their base class + mastery system. Almost makes you forget it's a unity game.

also the necro is actually effective as a summoner, unlike wolcen.

edit: optimization starting to choke later on as you get more shit. def needs work. but otherwise this is a great game and I can't wait to see it completed.

edit 2: Some really good design choices. For example, I'm often wary of taking on kill effects because they are useless vs bosses. But one of the primalist on death passives has an upgrade that makes it trigger on hit vs bosses and high ranking enemies, making it worthwhile everywhere.

People complain that the passives are kind of boring, but compared to normal attribute systems they are considerably more varied, and with each skill having its own upgrade tree the game ends up having a lot of delicious design decisions to make. Haven't been this pleased with a character system since Titan quest.

Last edited:

Erikkolai

Learned
What's the state of this game now, is it starting to feel fleshed out? Is there a full story/campaign yet?

kreight

It's getting there steadily. When I tried it a few months back, I was pumped by the necromancer spells. She kinda shoots her ribs and can summon ghosts that wonder around. That was fucking cool. I found a unique item which allowed me to periodically spawn a tree which attracted enemies. That tree looked really creepy for an ARPG.

This game is definateky worth having on your wishlist if you are in a market for a good ARPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom