Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last game that you couldn't stop playing.

DemonKing

Arcane
Maybe I'm just too jaded now or have too many real world commitments, but I can't think of any CRPGs released in the last few years that I have played religiously from start to finish - meaning that I played that game exclusively into the wee small hours of the morning and when I was at work or interrupted by real life, still thought about it and had no greater desire than to get back to it.

The last time I can remember having that feeling was with some of the infinity engine games. Nothing else has come close recently.

In fact, these days it seems I have to force myself to complete games more often than not.

Is anyone else out there in the same boat?

Melcar

Arcane
Shit man. Last games I played to unhealthy levels of addiction would have to be the IE games, particularly BG2. That was several years ago. The very last game that came close to that level of dedication was Fallout 2 (yeah, I was late to the party). Right now I just kill time playing short intervals of Freedroid and Scourge.
Most mainstream shit out there fails to entertain me for more than half an hour. Playing many of these new games it's more of a chore. I make the effort just to say I played them and know what I'm talking about when I start saying how much they suck.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Embarrassingly enough, Fallout 3 was the latest RPG that kept me up late. I wanted to finish it and thought the story line was going to develop into a dynamic Enclave vs Brotherhood war. My expectations were way too high apparently. I was extremely disappointed.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
DemonKing said:
Maybe I'm just too jaded.

That's what I thought until I realised that most of the codex feels the same way.

Either we're all jaded or games these days are shit.

You decide.

flushfire

Augur
King's Bounty: The Legend although i had to stop eventually bec it BSODed the shit out of my PC every 2 hours or so. Alt-tabbing also usually resulted in a BSOD. Plus it had other issues. But the difficulty kept me coming back. Im just waiting for a new patch to come out.

Phelot

Arcane
I played a lot of King's Bounty, bu I got bored with it after a few days...

Honest to God last game though? Probably Close Combat games. I kind of play them in groups.

I haven' found any RPGs that I've been sucked into in a long time. Kinda sad...

Moray

Scholar
For PC, years ago when I first got into the IE games, in particular, PS:T and the BG series.

To a lesser extent, while it's obviously not an RPG or even a PC title, Ninja Gaiden had me pretty hooked for a time. It was maddeningly, infuriatingly, mouth-frothingly frustrating, but I was determined to beat it on the high difficulty setting (master, or whatever the hell it's called).

Multi-headed Cow

Fallout 3. For reals.

For non-RPG (Skyway: WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO LIST AN RPG?) I'd guess probably Bioshock. Played tons of games I enjoyed after it, but none of them got me into "Couldn't stop playing" territory, really.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
the only "cant stop playing" game within this and the last year has been Fall from Heaven 2 (total conversion for CiV4) - not that i didnt enjoy some other games as well, but not to the extent that i have to force myself to stop playing like i have to when playing FFH2.

it also has more RPG elements then many of the games that claim to be RPGs these days .

Saxon1974

Prophet
For me its usually replaying oldies.

I played Ultima III non stop and finished it earlier this year. Really liked replaying Darklands too.

Have to admit that Fallout 3 kept me up a few nights. At least until I realize everything you go seemed to boil down to shootouts.

Murk

Arcane
I randomly installed IWD 1 and 2 and ended up doing a full replay of both games in the span of like 2 weeks.

I was amazed at my own urge to play and how much I enjoyed it, the play through also cemented the Icewind Dale series as having some of the best art, music, and overall flow of a game ever... despite how much dungeoning it had.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
King's Bounty. Well, until I got bored with spamming AOE spells, anyway--never did finish the thing.

Andhaira

Arcane
eschalon. Though the slow walking speeed had something to do with that.

Inziladun

Magister
Just recently dug up Galactic Civ 2 and have found myself playing it to an unhealthy amount.

It'll probably die down in a week or so, but for now it's passing the time like crazy. Girlfriend's a little peeved when she sits down to watch a one-hour t.v show and comes back to see me with my face glued to the monitor still.

Come to think of it I haven't done this in a a REALLY long time, maybe your ability to be immersed declines with age?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom