Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LawBreakers - Cliff Bleszinski's failed multiplayer shooter

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd really like a good ol' fast-paced arena FPS, as no-one makes those any more (instead we get countless brown military shooters every year).

I'm not sure that B-man has it in him any more (if he ever did), though. What can change the nature of Cliff?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
5 years earlier, when Cliffy still had a job: "PC is only for Sims and WoW, I don't care".
Now, when Cliffy doesn't have a job: "PC only and forever !!111"

Fuck that guy
As far as I'm concerned, Cliffy B can go fuck himself.
CliffyB is such an absolute massive cock that it doesn't matter if his next game is good or not. It will suck the second he starts opening his mouth.

And yes, fuck that guy.
Cliffy B. is a fukkin joke.
Awww, look at what came crawling back. Maybe he should try making some spreadsheets, since PCs are for WoW and Sims.

We can safely abandon this thread, everything that need to be said, has been said.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
At least it will be entertaining to have another irrelevant game designer at a soapbox somewhere spewing nonsense with a game release every 8 years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll keep an eye on it.

I think he's fully capable of enjoying and designing different things. Gears of War and Bioshock are completely different styles of experience. Him enjoying those as well as Unreal Tournament is entirely possible.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Oh yeah, I can see it now in my head!

Cover-based, first person shooter designed to be played on the gamepad, with 360 degrees of auto-aiming, bloomy graphics and politically correct taunts!

What could possibly go wrong?

Kz3r0

Arcane
"I don't ever want to make a game that has a cutscene or a scripted sequence in it ever again."
There's still hope for this man then.
You're talking about the guy that spent the last years making rivers of money and prizes for creating Gears of War and infesting the world with chest-high walls and popamole cover-shooting...
Do you realize that is Morgoth, day-one-purchase, who you are talking with, right?

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I know this is gonna hurt my Codex rep but... I'm a fan of that guy. Sure, he took some... dark decisions and said questionable things, but he still has PC Master Race in his blood. I know it. He mapped for my favorite game (UT), worked on a game i loved as a kid (Jazz Jackrabbit series) and said in public that Call of Duty kids dont know what a shooter is. Sure, you guys may not trust him, but... in the 21st century, the era of gaming Decline, someone with that attitude almost restores my hope.

Give him a chance brothers. He may redeem himself.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This is history.
With that logic we should like EA and Acti for great games that we played years ago.
Nope

Release it and we can talk.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Unreal was beautiful, but shooting felt awkward.
UT was good, shooting was less awkward, but still it wasn't as ideal as it could be.
Didn't play UT2003-2004.
Gears of War has cover based mechanics mostly because the lead designer of kill.switch took part in the development, but that doesn't make it better in any way.
UT3 felt like a piece of shit.

Compared to that, first Quake still feels good and brings tons of fun.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

God-for-fucking-bid I actually wait for facts and shit before making a decision. It makes a lot more sense to assume what it will be like and ignore his stated goals forever no matter what.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to trust what he says now that he wants our money, as opposed to when he didn't give a shit and just spoke his mind.

it's not hardcore MLG pro like quake

Just FYI, Quake was never featured in a proper MLG tournament, it's all Halo and CoD over there. :patriot: cannot into good competitive FPS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, it makes perfect sense to trust what he says now that he wants our money, as opposed to when he didn't give a shit and just spoke his mind.

I'm not going to buy it based on what he says, jackass. I'm going to watch videos of it, read people in beta's reactions, etc. And if it looks like a modern Unreal Fucking Tournament then I'm going to buy it, because those were pretty much the only multiplayer games I ever enjoyed.

I don't think because he's a douchebag or likes Bioshock it means he can't make a tournament shooter. I think that's a pretty retarded and emotional butthurt statement.

Stompa

Arcane

The butthurt ones are the ones saying "Cliffy said something mean about the PC years ago so fuck him wahhhhhh."

If the last dumb thing Cliffy said was ages ago, it would've been great. But then he proceeded to make more fool of himself over the years. His recent words were "DRM is totally good you guys!" and "Phil Fish is saviour of video games!". How can you still put any faith in him at this point?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I'm not going to buy it based on what he says, jackass. I'm going to watch videos of it, read people in beta's reactions, etc. And if it looks like a modern Unreal Fucking Tournament then I'm going to buy it, because those were pretty much the only multiplayer games I ever enjoyed.

I don't think because he's a douchebag or likes Bioshock it means he can't make a tournament shooter. I think that's a pretty retarded and emotional butthurt statement.

So, you're all butthurt that nobody believes in Cliffy, but aren't going to support his crowdfunding drive, because you don't truly believe in him either. Ok.

Just to make this thread easier for you to understand, nobody is claiming that it's impossible for him to create a good arena FPS, that would be stupid. Just like it's not impossible for Molyneux to create a good God game again. It's just very unlikely based on their creative output and opinions in the past decade or so.

Despite what you seem to believe, your "I'll just wait and see" stance is not more reasonable or balanced than the outright negativity in this thread. In fact, it's functionally the same, and only differs in presentation.

Gerrard

Arcane
I hope it ends in a spectacular failure. Like Shootmania.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SPOOOOOOOOOOORTSSSSSS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom